Anyone concerned about the "mosquito" talk?

From this article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...new-zika-cases-a-travel-advisory-is-expected/

So, just to be clear, the reported cases of locally acquired Zika are approx. 220 miles from central Florida and the average mosquito will travel about nine-hundredths of a mile in its lifetime. There is a risk it will spread in Florida. BUT the counties in Florida have a much better program to contain and detract mosquitoes than the nonexistent program in Brazil.

As I posted earlier, my daughter frequently gets bitten by mosquitoes at WDW. Zika can be present in people without showing symptoms. There are large tourist groups traveling from Brazil to WDW annually. Connecting the dots, Zika can easily be introduced into the mosquito population at WDW, and can spread there.

Not a very useful response. Perhaps you know more than the CDC?

Here is a direct quote from CDC Director Tom Frieden:
"It is likely but not possible to establish that the first local transmission involved a mosquito biting someone who had contracted Zika while traveling abroad, and that insect then spreading the virus to others in the area."

Zika will not "spread all across the globe" because the vectors that transmit it are not present "all across the globe." The only way it can be spread person-to-person at this point is sexual transmission, so unless there is very much hanky panky going on around the world it will not "spread all across the globe."

Zika will not "spread all across the globe" because the vectors that transmit it are not present "all across the globe." The only way it can be spread person-to-person at this point is sexual transmission, so unless there is very much hanky panky going on around the world it will not "spread all across the globe."

Except of course for the fact that there are other ways to pass it than person-to-person.

From the CDC:
Zika virus is transmitted to people primarily through the bite of an infected Aedes species mosquito

Aedes is a genus of mosquitoes originally found in tropical and subtropical zones, but now found on all continents except Antarctica.

Current map of zika:
zikamain_072516_880.png

I guarantee that a month after RIO that purple spreads to much of the globe (including swaths of the US)

I hope lots of people cancel in October so it's empty for me! Hehehe

Wow, because those of us who face cancelling our trips are not already having a hard time with it. Our 15 yr Anniversary trip that has been in the plans for two years and our little ones first trip, is now not looking so good. But as long as others have a great time, that is all that matters.

What matters is that people and babies are safe, that is what matters.

We just returned from a week at the Boardwalk.

To the best of my knowledge, not a single bug bite... and the Off spray and towelettes I brought along went unused.

Everyone must make the choice that's best for their own families, of course, But I'm glad we didn't cancel.

is warning pregnant couples about the zika virus spread or not? With the latest news we are reconsidering our trip in October.

Just like it is not Disney's responsibility to tell people that there are alligators in Florida, it is also not their responsibility to tell people that there are mosquitos.

People have to take personal responsibility and make their own informed decisions.

For what it's worth, I've gone to WDW for over 30 years and don't remember ever getting bitten. That includes several stays at Fort Wilderness

Just like it is not Disney's responsibility to tell people that there are alligators in Florida, it is also not their responsibility to tell people that there are mosquitos.

People have to take personal responsibility and make their own informed decisions.

For what it's worth, I've gone to WDW for over 30 years and don't remember ever getting bitten. That includes several stays at Fort Wilderness
I didn't say anything about mosquitos being in florida nor did I about gators. I asked a specific question about the health considerations. Apparently that hit a nerve with your.

I don't find it Disney's duty to warn us about Zika. Just like I don't find it their duty to warn us about:

Sunburn
Snakes
Speeding
Not using birth control
The dangers of radiation and cell phones

If you are reconsidering your trip do some research and see if it is indeed something you feel you need to do.

Here's a couple of informational articles for you on the risks of contracting it and its possible effects: http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/zi...a-damages-babies-all-stages-pregnancy-n532086

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/pregnancy-health/zika

As for your trip, if it is a concern, postpone your trip. The potential effects are life altering and in many cases, can cause fetal death. They are now saying the effects are possible at any gestational age and that the birth defects are not limited to microcephaly. I would postpone my trip, but it is ultimately your decision.

Yes, I'm no CDC expert, nor do I think it's necessary to be alarmist, but common sense tells me we all need to get a bit informed and be prepared. Of course, we were told "not to worry, it's only people who have traveled themselves to affected areas". Now I do not know whether the mosquitos themselves have somehow traveled north or whether a person who got infected abroad, came home, got bit again, and now a new mosquito is carrying the virus. However, it seems likely that people will continue to get bitten, mosquitos will carry it from one to another. I'd say our best hope for it not spreading much further is approaching fall with cooler temps and hopefully sprays or some other method of keeping general mosquito populations down.

For certain, if I were pregnant and considering a trip to Florida right now, I'd be re-thinking. I don't consider myself a nervous Nellie, but there are a lot of unknowns and high consequences if you do get infected.

As a person who works in a lab that tests for sexually transmitted diseases, I can assure you that yes, very much hanky panky is happening out there.
Hanky panky makes the world go round...and maybe Zika. :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter