Anyone concerned about the Real ID waiver expiring?

My state is compliant. Really, I don't understand what's with all these states not being compliant. Just take care of it!
It was a political nonsense here related to it. Took us getting a new governor to get in compliance.

Really chaps my hide that I had to pay extra to get an Enhanced Drivers License because my State will not enforce a very reasonable law. There should be no excuses for this, and I don't buy the argument for farm workers.

What should chap your hide is that the law isn't reasonable at all. It's yet another feel good piece of legislation requiring more red tape out of states and citizens that isn't going to enhance their security one bit.

This is my exact thinking; it's just incredibly handy in so many situations and not everyone drives. Also, when they pulled my license, I was very happy to have the second form of valid id and felt naked with only one. I got so in the habit of carrying my passport all the time I use it as my primary form of id now and keep my license in my car.

I guess maybe the thinking is different if money isn't a concern and/or you're only thinking in terms of one person. When i think about passports, I'm thinking of the almost $700 it would have cost to get them for my whole family. That's more than we're spending on our escape-from-winter weekend away next month, so to me it is a big chunk of change I'd rather spend elsewhere.

Many states that have REAL ID compliant licenses don't have the "enhanced" licenses that allow entry into Canada. NH is one of them. The REAL ID licenses here will get you into federal buildings and on planes but we still have to have passports to cross the border.

Yeah, that's a whole 'nother question of political/gov't stupidity. I can understand why Kansas or Colorado might not bother offering them, but I'm blown away by how few border states opted in. It just seems like common sense, especially in places where the back-and-forth across a land border is no big deal.

Yeah, that's a whole 'nother question of political/gov't stupidity. I can understand why Kansas or Colorado might not bother offering them, but I'm blown away by how few border states opted in. It just seems like common sense, especially in places where the back-and-forth across a land border is no big deal.

If you can get that, getting a passport card for $30 (+ acceptance fees and cost of the photo) provides an ID good for 10 years. And it can be renewed indefinitely or even used to get a regular passport as long as you've got an adult passport or passport card that was issued less than 15 years ago.

My only issue is that my passport card is delaminating after about 8-1/2 years.

US permanent residents will have green cards (which are Real ID compliant), and by law they're supposed to be carried by adult permanent residents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter