Anyone else feel that there's an enormous difference in quality

OP make a very broad sweeping generalization, which is kind of silly. The Orlando area has over 15,000 hotel rooms. Simply put, you can't possibly expect us to think ONE offsite stay = an accurate review of EVERY offsite option!

Further, it is just silly to make the broad generalization that your personal situation is the same as everyone else's personal situation. Many folks might find it much easier to be able to prep their own food/eat meals in private.

Offsite is a very vague term. It could mean everything from a $50 motel, a $50 Priceline deluxe hotel, a condo, a rental house, a $500+ suite at the Ritz, or even the Universal Studios onsite hotels.

Dining in a restaurant doesn't work well for everyone. Many folks have disabilities that make restaurant dining problematic.

Still many other folks travel to the area for business. If they get a day in MK, they are thrilled.

Seems strange to say a business traveler can't go to MK for the day because that doesn't match everyone else's situation.

:rotfl:

I'm not mad, but I giggled when I read this, how you keep saying old.

I suppose 44 seems old to someone who is 26, but we love to hang at the pool with a cocktail in the middle of the day when it's less crowded, nothing to do with being tired or needing a break.

It's funny 40's seemed old in my 20's, now it feels young. 50's seemed old in my 30's, now it seems middle-age. My parents are almost 80 and finally relented to say they "might" be getting older. :)

I don't know about all this style #1 and style #2 stuff. I do know that age has little to do with it. My family did the whole "commando" thing for more than a few trip years ago. I didn't have any problem touring the park from sundown to sun-up at 8-years old and wouldn't expect any trouble at all now, in my mid-40's. Interesting though, the number of millennials who shrink at the very thought of it. :eek:

OK so i have been able to stay onsite and mostly deluxe all but 2 times in the 30 years i have been going and we have owned DVC for the past 15. And my wife as child always stayed at the Poly starting back when there were only 2 resorts at WDW.
What a person thinks is better is just not affordable for most.. as the original post states as children we were taken.... Now...
Guess what now may be without kids living in you parents house or in a very affordable 1 bedroom apartment... Most people who go to Disney have Kids and all the expenses that go along with Kids, Housing and much higher bills... for a lot people being able to take their family to Disney period is a strain. As parents get older their income usually improves and they are able to more or go on that dream vacation or maybe take their kids on two vacations or maybe pay for all of most of college for their children.. To say this way of vacating is better is saying that a lot of people have-- 450 a night for a hotel, 80 a day X 4 for park tickets 320, signature meal on the cheap for 4 300, other meal (table service only) 180, and breakfast Cook on vacation no way.. 80 so we are up 1330 a day without plane tickets, snacks and buying things your kids want.... lets call the trip 10K... and lets just say if your lucky 5% of the families in the USA can afford this trip and for a lot of them it is a stretch... I would arguable say closer to 2-3%.... While I am happy to see you enjoyed your trip.... to say this is the way all people should vacation... is just wrong.... I hope that you have thanked your parents for taking you to Disney as children and on your net trip you treat them to the better way of vacation as a thank you. I see no reason to compare and imply how one vacation is better than another, a simple I enjoyed being able to stay this way on my last trip would have been a much more enjoyable post for everyone on these boards.
I also wanted to say something along these lines. . . Very well articulated.

:rotfl:

I'm not mad, but I giggled when I read this, how you keep saying old.

I suppose 44 seems old to someone who is 26, but we love to hang at the pool with a cocktail in the middle of the day when it's less crowded, nothing to do with being tired or needing a break.

It's funny 40's seemed old in my 20's, now it feels young. 50's seemed old in my 30's, now it seems middle-age. My parents are almost 80 and finally relented to say they "might" be getting older. :)
In my post, I never really said what age I considered "old." For all you know, I was envisioning myself at age 90 finally deciding it's time to slow down and take a nap at the resort.

My dad is in his mid 50s and I truly believe he would have no problems taking on a "commando" style vacation.

Considering my mother, though, also mid 50s, has plantar fasciitis and a bad back, I don't think she would be able to. Last time we went as a family was over 10 years ago, so my mom was in her 40s. She was having trouble with her back and was taking like 9 ibuprofen like every 5 hours. (She spoke to her doctor about that first). We were going from open to close almost every day on that trip, with some breaks or late start mornings, and she was worn ragged. Because of her back issues on that trip plus her recent development of her foot issues, she has no interest in returning to WDW period, even with breaks. She didn't have those problems when she was in her 30s.

I'll also note, the weather can play a huge part in a decision for a mid-day break or calling it a day early. If it's 100 degrees out, no matter your age, I think you'd want a break in the A/C. That said, I would still argue that I could handle walking around all day in extreme heat better than my 64-year-old father in law.

In my post, I never really said what age I considered "old." For all you know, I was envisioning myself at age 90 finally deciding it's time to slow down and take a nap at the resort.

My dad is in his mid 50s and I truly believe he would have no problems taking on a "commando" style vacation.

Considering my mother, though, also mid 50s, has plantar fasciitis and a bad back, I don't think she would be able to. Last time we went as a family was over 10 years ago, so my mom was in her 40s. She was having trouble with her back and was taking like 9 ibuprofen like every 5 hours. (She spoke to her doctor about that first). We were going from open to close almost every day on that trip, with some breaks or late start mornings, and she was worn ragged. Because of her back issues on that trip plus her recent development of her foot issues, she has no interest in returning to WDW period, even with breaks. She didn't have those problems when she was in her 30s.

I'll also note, the weather can play a huge part in a decision for a mid-day break or calling it a day early. If it's 100 degrees out, no matter your age, I think you'd want a break in the A/C. That said, I would still argue that I could handle walking around all day in extreme heat better than my 64-year-old father in law.

Sorry, didn't mean for you to be defensive, my post was meant to be lighthearted.
As a 44 year old who does the day break touring style, I just thought it was funny that people may consider us old. That's us in my avatar last October, before our mid-day wine break. :p

I think it all depends on what you prefer. Everyone is different and has different priorities. Some people may stay in a less expensive room or have less expensive meals, but their reasons may be totally different. Perhaps “Julie” wants to visit more times each year, but “John” is paying off some debt and can’t afford a more expensive vacation right now. Every choice a person makes when planning their vacation makes it different than everyone elses. With all the different variables, you would never have the same trip as someone else unless you planned it that way on purpose. No one is right or wrong and no choice is the wrong one so long as you do what is best for you.

I totally agree. If I cannot do type 1 I delay my vacation and save until I can. I would rather not go than to do type 2 and I love Disney

I completely agree! I have never stayed off-site and never want to because of the magic I've experienced throughout the years!

People also often understandably err toward staying off-site for a number of reasons, particularly more lodging for the buck (and the larger the group size, the more this tends to be true), especially if they're planning to visit more than just Disney on their vacation.

But, having experienced the second type of vacation growing up and having experienced the first type of vacation in recent years, for me, the first type of vacation just blows the second type out of the water. In fact, I'd probably never go to WDW again if limited only to the second type of vacation.

I have never stayed off-site so please correct me if I'm wrong, but staying-offsite seems to have a house feel to it. Like most people will return to their vacation rental properties and cook dinner for the night like they do at home. The purpose of a vacation is to "vacate" your daily routine. I would feel too much at home if I had to meal prep/cook, be concerned with cleaning a home, etc. I know people on-site purchase groceries, but it's just not the same.

I have never stayed off-site so please correct me if I'm wrong, but staying-offsite seems to have a house feel to it. Like most people will return to their vacation rental properties and cook dinner for the night like they do at home. The purpose of a vacation is to "vacate" your daily routine. I would feel too much at home if I had to meal prep/cook, be concerned with cleaning a home, etc. I know people on-site purchase groceries, but it's just not the same.
Have you ever stayed at a hotel before outside of Disney?

On another note we stayed at a for rent by owner condo in Hawaii. We didn't have to cook if we didn't want to but the owner left pots and pans and had plates and everything. It was a fantastic much more private beach than you can get if you had stayed at a normal hotel especially in Honolulu/Waikiki area. The owner had a pack n play too if you had children and boogie boards for the ocean plus snorkling gear and beach chairs.

The purpose of vacation is whatever you make of it. For some they want a hotel and housekeeping everyday, for others it's a hotel and not housekeeping everyday, for some it's hotels outside of a main property, for others it's only hotels on main property, for some it's timeshares off main property and for others it's timeshares on main property, for some it's for rent by owner places or airbnb, for some it's ok to cook for others it's not, etc.

I completely agree! I have never stayed off-site and never want to because of the magic I've experienced throughout the years!

I get what you are saying, I think. I also don't like the idea of a vacation rental home, anywhere I go. I love hotels. I love resorts, boutique hotels, grand hotels, old hotels, trendy hotels, haunted hotels. It would not be a vacation to me if I stayed in a home, that's why I don't do AirBnB and the likes.
But there are a lot of hotels off-site for Disney, you don't just have to do a vacation rental home.

That said, I am in the ifIdon'tstayon-siteIdon'tgo group. :)

As a 44 year old who does the day break touring style, I just thought it was funny that people may consider us old. That's us in my avatar last October, before our mid-day wine break
I like the way you "break" LOL!
I love hotels. I love resorts, boutique hotels, grand hotels, old hotels, trendy hotels, haunted hotels.
um haunted hotels? Not sure on that one...did you sleep, get to see a ghost?? I watch Supernatural so imagination is running wild :rotfl2:

I'm in the 'hotels are ok for a day or 2" group, but much prefer space. Probably because there was 4 of us kids growing up and I always craved my own space. And when I met my husband (I was 18) his family were (and still are) timeshare owners. Once I got a taste of how much more you can get this way it is very hard to go to a hotel for a family for more than a day or two. Our kids are same way. But just 2 peeps? Not as much of an issue - except with my DH lol. Over New years when we moved from CSR (which I really love) to DS Doubletree suite he enjoyed the Doubletree much more due to space.
Love that Disney is a place that gives so many options!

um haunted hotels? Not sure on that one...did you sleep, get to see a ghost?? I watch Supernatural so imagination is running wild :rotfl2:

I'm in the 'hotels are ok for a day or 2" group, but much prefer space. Probably because there was 4 of us kids growing up and I always craved my own space. And when I met my husband (I was 18) his family were (and still are) timeshare owners. Once I got a taste of how much more you can get this way it is very hard to go to a hotel for a family for more than a day or two. Our kids are same way. But just 2 peeps? Not as much of an issue - except with my DH lol. Over New years when we moved from CSR (which I really love) to DS Doubletree suite he enjoyed the Doubletree much more due to space.
Love that Disney is a place that gives so many options!

Sometimes I have stayed exclusively onsite, other stays are split onsite in DVC units and offsite. I enjoy both. I choose offsite with lazy rivers. It makes it seem like 2 vacations. Never cook in the kitchen but I like having plenty of room to store water, beer, drinks, fruit, yogurt etc in full size fridge. And having a washer and drier means I can take a lot fewer clothes.

Even when I stayed exclusively onsite I started doing stays between MK DVC units and EOCOT ones. It helps that I usually have stayed 10-12 nights.

Have you ever stayed at a hotel before outside of Disney?

On another note we stayed at a for rent by owner condo in Hawaii. We didn't have to cook if we didn't want to but the owner left pots and pans and had plates and everything. It was a fantastic much more private beach than you can get if you had stayed at a normal hotel especially in Honolulu/Waikiki area. The owner had a pack n play too if you had children and boogie boards for the ocean plus snorkling gear and beach chairs.

The purpose of vacation is whatever you make of it. For some they want a hotel and housekeeping everyday, for others it's a hotel and not housekeeping everyday, for some it's hotels outside of a main property, for others it's only hotels on main property, for some it's timeshares off main property and for others it's timeshares on main property, for some it's for rent by owner places or airbnb, for some it's ok to cook for others it's not, etc.

I have when I was probably a very tiny toddler but technically no. I hope my post didn't come across as disrespectful, it was simply an opinion. Also, I think it depends on where you go. If I were in Hawaii I would also like to rent a home. At Disney? No.

I have when I was probably a very tiny toddler but technically no. I hope my post didn't come across as disrespectful, it was simply an opinion. Also, I think it depends on where you go. If I were in Hawaii I would also like to rent a home. At Disney? No.
No I don't think it came off as disrespectful just more like you probably had a viewpoint of what offsite is like. In my mind I was thinking you probably hadn't stayed very much at hotels outside of Disney just based on your comments and thus why I asked.

the entire original post is one HUGE generalization.

You can't write a book with a bazillion details in response to everyone. "aint no one got no time for that"

I agree. Silly i my opinion. We all vacation in the manner that makes us happy, there is not right or wrong way.

My friend never stay onsite,. They rent a house, pack their special cooing utensils, as well ad special seasoning they like, and vacation. Is that the way I woudl do a disnyvacation? Nope. But they are happy as clams. And they do nto do this to save money, they could buy and sell me several times and still be more affluent than me.

I feel that the vacation style #1 is suited better for older people, or people with young kids. I'm 23, have no kids, and would feel crazy going back to a resort to SWIM everyday, or take a nap. I don't need a three+ hour break everyday, and honestly, the park tickets are expensive--I'm not going to waste them by going back to bed after 4 hours.

You may not need a break. But you’re also probably neurotypical and able-bodied. “Older folks” aren’t the only ones for whom slowing down and/or taking midday breaks are important, so have a care about making these kinds of assumptions. My partner and I are 30 somethings and the stereotypical same-sex couple with no kids and extra disposable income. But we also both have ADHD and anxiety, as well as physical challenges (in my case, anemia and a circulatory disorder, in hers cystic fibrosis), and commando touring in standard Florida heat with typical Disney crowds would be the death of us. It’s not pleasant at any age, as an understatement, dealing with that kind of overstimulation when your body is also overwhelmed physically.

I grew up staying at the Swan/Dolphin, rope dropping and taking midday breaks, though, and that's just what I'm accustomed to doing. Even as a young teen I hated the idea of commando touring rope drop to close, and greatly enjoyed resort time and relaxing around the Boardwalk area. And as adults on a couples trip, for us spending all day miserable and overstimulated in a park to get our “money’s worth” would be a waste. It would not be quality time for us. So that means we’re staying at the Poly on a fabulous TA discount, staying for a week, and baking plenty of resort time into our schedule. We chose the Poly for ease of transportation and the great location, so that a quick escape is only a monorail or boat ride away. Our short list included BC for similar reasons. We will lean on Lyft/Minnie Vans as needed for the rest. Being an urban dweller neck deep in the rat race who is used to the quirks of public transit in day to day life, I don't find Disney transportation to be especially terrible.

FWIW, I don’t begrudge the offsite folks, especially those with large families. Personally I would never stay at a Disney value for what they charge given the lack of amenities for the price--my family's style of travel definitely is not from the "the hotel is just a place to shower/sleep" school. But at the same time, on my last trip, when my mom and I took my teenage cousin for her first WDW trip (she’s a Florida resident), staying offsite at the Sheraton Vistana resort was an emphatic reminder that offsite just is not for me. Granted it was last minute and over a holiday weekend, so it’s maybe unfair to blame our issues with being offsite. And even a bad day at WDW is better than being at work! But it was just not the same level of enjoyment, to put it mildly. We had to commando for lack of time, and there were several times I nearly had toddler level meltdowns from being overwhelmed. The Vistana was extremely close to the parks, and probably better located than some Values/Mods for proximity, so location wasn't the issue. The issue I find with trying to break during offsite stays are the logistics involved. Typically you have one rental car--what if only some of the group wants to go back to the resort? Someone's got to stay with the kid. Yes, taxis and Uber are an option but on top of the rental car price and parking costs, suddenly the cost savings isn't all that big any more. That trip also made me realize just how much I value the Disney Bubble. Fighting traffic to get out every night was a horror show between road work and Memorial Day weekend crowds and the entire opposite of magical. And I mean, our condo was nice and comfortable but it was such a let down going back to a boring looking timeshare resort every night that resembled any generic Sun Belt condo development. Some people scoff at this and think it's silly, and that's fine, you do you! But there's just a lot of "intangibles" involved that added up to me not having nearly as much fun as our on site stays, and that's why finances willing I'll always choose that. I do agree that there is a gray area between the two extremes in the OP though. There is no one perfect style for everyone.

I have touble planning a relaxing Disney trip and I just want to get to a compromise between commando and #2. However, if I was going to go with a Option #2 style vacation, I would skip Disney altogether and go to a truley nice hotel and use a few hours a day to explore some of the local activities wherever I was. I don't want to pay Disney prices to only use the parks 4-5 hours a day.

We haven't stayed in one yet, but it's on our list! Usually an old Inn of some sort. We are thinking of East Coast area, maybe near DC. :)

You may not need a break. But you’re also probably neurotypical and able-bodied.
You are right. I didn't take people with disabilities into account, because I was talking about myself, and you are right, I am completely able bodied. I will have kids and get older, I don't necessarily see myself becoming disabled, but it may happen. If it does, I'll be sure to take breaks when needed.

You are right. I didn't take people with disabilities into account, because I was talking about myself, and you are right, I am completely able bodied. I will have kids and get older, I don't necessarily see myself becoming disabled, but it may happen. If it does, I'll be sure to take breaks when needed.

No one sees themselves having physical challenges.You never know what tomorrow will bring.

I stay in deluxe resorts and have n intention if forgoing the amenities I pay for because park tix are expensive. While the cost of daily tix goes down the longer your package, the resort cost does not, so I figure I would be losing money if i chose to go from dawn to dark without using my resort. I also am kind of surprised that someone your age has not even thought about why an afternoon break for able bodied folks might be in order, and why those folks would not want to be disturbed. Not by a knock and goodness knows, not by someone pushing the latch. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter