Anyone else hate using a TA but feel like you need one?

jtntx34

Mouseketeer
I am trying to do a combo parks and cruise trip. I know I can book everything myself. I am thinking I might need an expert’s help, because I’m taking my mom who will be 77, and there are just so many unknowns. I also haven’t been to the parks since 2009!

I drive myself nuts sometimes when I plan trips. I come down with the worse case of the what ifs, and I find myself running so many different scenarios I can’t keep track.

I like the idea of having an expert to help sort through the different choices and keep track of sales, but I kind of hate having to go through a middle man.

Am I the only person who has this struggle? Or is the struggle real for others?

I hate using a TA, but use one.

I hate it because I am a capable control freak and I would like to organize, modify, and control every aspect of my own trip. I use them, because they provide the OBC, which my cheapness finds irresistible. That being said, if I were to get a deal that more than compensated for the OBC, I wouldn't bother. At least for a cruise. I would possibly still use one for travel to Africa or Europe, but that is a different beast altogether.

I'm not sure what challenges your mom faces in the parks, or what assistance you think a TA will be able to afford you that you cannot obtain yourself, in particular if you are booking far enough out to organize your thoughts and plans in one place. The DisABILITIES board is very active and can certainly assist you in finding information that you may need to help your mom enjoy her time at the parks.

It’s not so much that my mom faces SO many challenges... I just get anxious about making it fun for her without wearing her out. And I absolutely don’t know anything about the new fast passes/magic bands.

She’s actually very easy going. It’s me. I am the worry wart.

This is a slightly different situation than yours, since I don’t feel like I “need” a TA, but I can’t stop using Costco because of all the credit I get back from them. I’m not thrilled with using them since they do nothing except act as a middleman and actually make it worse on opening day when you’re trying to use a placeholder. I’ve been seriously considering changing to a traditional TA because at least they will actually do the legwork of booking for you on opening day, which I see as a real benefit. The only thing that’s stopping me is I want to make sure I have a good agent and I don’t know how I would know if they’re any good before I actually use them!

Even though I am a control freak and obsessive planner, I don’t think I would book directly through DCL because I wouldn’t want to give up OBC from a TA or the Costco shop card.

I don't have experience using a TA as I am also a control freak when it comes to trips. But I will say if your concern is understanding how WDW has changed since 2009, FP+ and magic bands and all that, I'd say this forum has you covered with info. The enthusiasm that people on her have to help is amazing, as is the amount of tips and tricks, etc. Regardless of what you decide, have a fun trip!!! I'm sure your mom will enjoy herself :)

I have cruised with my now 79 yr old mom for the past 10 years and we only use a TA for the OBC. Don't like having to wait for her to make changes to our reservation ect. as I plan all of our own excursions and don't use DCL for that. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask or message me. This May on our Hawaiian cruise will be the first time we do an excursion without her but she wants to stay on the ship while we do a private boat excursion. I would research a lot here looking at trip reports and trip advisor to figure out what you might want to do in each port.

My first couple cruises, I felt much like you. I didn't like giving up control over booking to a TA but felt like I needed the guidance and assistance of a TA. Then after getting comfortable with cruising, my viewpoint changed to only using a TA to get the OBC, and lately I've even decided to give up some the OBC on some cruises for the simplicity of booking it all myself.

I think if you are willing to spend a little time on this forum and the theme parks board, you'll be able to find all the info you need to have a great vacation and not have to book with a TA. FP+ may seem a little daunting at the beginning, but there are several very helpful tutorial threads on the theme parks board.

The enthusiasm that people on her have to help is amazing, as is the amount of tips and tricks, etc.

This, right here. I'm not sure what a TA will be able to help you with in regards to the FP and MB system. There are people on the Parks board and here that are probably far more familiar with the ins and outs of those new systems than most TAs because you have heavy users over there. They love helping and will absolutely answer your questions and walk you through your concerns.

As far as being a worry wart, a TA can't fix that. A TA isn't going to be able to accommodate requests for issues you haven't begun to worry about yet and can't book your trip or answer questions you don't even know you have yet. Most of your issues are going to come after you get there. The worries you have prior to leaving can all be fixed by you. The ones you have while on vacation, can pretty much only be fixed by you, such as "is my mom having a good time." No TA can really help with that. I will say, plan a break mid day so your mom can get off her feet and rest, even if she says no. She is probably doing that to please you and doesn't want to be a bother. So don't make it a bother. Make it all part of your master plan to maximize the fun. Hit those other boards up, they will help you with your worry and your concerns.

We don’t use a TA often but when we do it has to be someone we can actually talk to. The human interchange with someone who seems excited for us, with whom we can bounce off ideas, is priceless. We’re pretty savvy on WDW and DCL, but from time to time we use a TA, just because things sometimes do change since our last trip.

I don't use a TA because I like to be in charge of my own reservation. I don't like the idea that it is my vacation, my money, but someone else has control over it. I feel the anxiety if I don't do my research and know exactly what I am getting into. It is worse for me to NOT know everything that I need to know and to rely on someone else. I don't trust that they have my best interest in mind. And I know that they are busy with other clients. It is very easy now, with the internet, to get all of the information that you need. No OB credit is worth it, to me, to give up control of my vacation.

It really depends on the TA. My first TA was amazing and would solve issues. My sister decided to use a TA to book a trip to disney world, that TA was horrible. Didn't care about booking my sister's trip just wanted the commission. Finally when the TA "had the time" to book everything, the room we wanted literally went up a grand. She wanted her trip to be at grand floridian club level. So lesson learned, if you can book it yourself, do it, especially if the TA isn't going to get you any perks. If you can get credit/perks through a TA, find out how much you would be saving. Also it depends on what type of traveling too. Personally I would do a TA if traveling international. One other factor, if you can try to meet up with your travel agent, first do that. First impressions are everything. If you get the vibes of they are not gonna be able to help/accomodate your requests, look elsewhere or do it yourself.

I love my TA and have used her exclusively for all my Disney vacations. Not only do you get the on board credit with the cruises, but she has always gotten us the perfect room both on the cruises and at the WDW Resorts based on what our requests are or the type of experience we are looking for. I am also a big planner and control freak, but once the vacation is booked through the TA, I just set up my online disney account and can then access all the details and take over the planning from there for the fast passes, dinner reservations, etc. If you get a good TA, then I think they are a very valuable resource to use along with all the awesome people on this board and general research. Plus she lets me know before prices or discounts are coming out.

I don't use a TA because I like to be in charge of my own reservation. I don't like the idea that it is my vacation, my money, but someone else has control over it. I feel the anxiety if I don't do my research and know exactly what I am getting into. It is worse for me to NOT know everything that I need to know and to rely on someone else. I don't trust that they have my best interest in mind. And I know that they are busy with other clients. It is very easy now, with the internet, to get all of the information that you need. No OB credit is worth it, to me, to give up control of my vacation.

I feel like you are in my head!!! 😂

I love my TA and have used her exclusively for all my Disney vacations. Not only do you get the on board credit with the cruises, but she has always gotten us the perfect room both on the cruises and at the WDW Resorts based on what our requests are or the type of experience we are looking for. I am also a big planner and control freak, but once the vacation is booked through the TA, I just set up my online disney account and can then access all the details and take over the planning from there for the fast passes, dinner reservations, etc. If you get a good TA, then I think they are a very valuable resource to use along with all the awesome people on this board and general research. Plus she lets me know before prices or discounts are coming out.

THIS is exactly what I would like, but there are so many poor travel agents that are not doing anything that I can’t do.

The main reason I am considering a TA for this trip is that I don’t want to monitor the sales constantly, and onboard credit would be nice.

I don't "need" a TA to book a cruise...however, I like the OBC and they were LIFESAVERS the time my cruise was rescheduled due to Irma - they sat on the phone and rebooked us without me having to lift a finger.

This. 100% Haven't used a TA since 2005.

I'm a HUGE control freak so I don't use a TA no matter where we're going. I know that they're trained and experienced and know all sorts of things that it'll take me hours and hours of research to sort out; I just can't let go.

THIS is exactly what I would like, but there are so many poor travel agents that are not doing anything that I can’t do.

The main reason I am considering a TA for this trip is that I don’t want to monitor the sales constantly, and onboard credit would be nice.

She has gotten to know us over the years and knows exactly what we are looking for in our vacation. As the kids get older, our priorities have changed in regards to what interests us, but she always nails it. Not sure if I can list her name on this site(I'm pretty new on here), but she is with Small World Vacations. Found her by chance, but she almost feels like part of our family. We even forward our vacation pictures to her so she can see how much fun we all had!

I use a travel agent to book cruises for two reasons: to get on-board credit, and to avoid having to stay on the phone for hours on the first day of new bookings. I tell my travel agent what I want, she books it, and my next contact with her is usually giving permission to make our final payment. A few times I have asked her to upgrade our room or book post-cruise transportation. I handle all excursions myself, and I have never felt that I gave up control.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter