Anyone else have a split stay and notice this on their reservation?

They have some cuter colors in the solid colors as well. I'm considering buying myself the teal one, despite getting two free bands with our upcoming split stay. :rolleyes1

I like the DVC band, but I am thinking I could just wait till I get there to buy it and get 20% off of it with my DVC membership card, and not pay for shipping.
You get the 20% off online as well. Shipping is sometimes free depending on what promo code you can find on a given day.

Your magic bands won't be issue.
However, depending upon when you check out of the first resort and when your 2nd resort has your room ready, there can be some overlap that will cause some quirks.
We did something similar. We received our text notification that our rooms were ready at our second location before we had checked out of our first. Didn't think much of it. Checked out and transferred our bags. Got to second resort and our bands wouldn't open the room door. Confused the front desk staff as well, as they couldn't figure it out first time through, they ended up giving us a temporary key card. Had to return later, and a more experienced cast member figured out the issue and fixed it.
We had 2 sets of bands, neither worked initially at the second resort, so it wasn't a case of one worked and one didn't.

Split stays I've done in the past had the option to decline on both orders. For our split stay coming up in a few weeks I had the option to decline either set before each stay's 31 day mark. If you didn't have the option to decline either set of bands, and you're more than 31 days to check in on the stay/order you're looking at, then its probably just a system glitch.

ANY Magicband linked to your account can be used for any stay, even if you have old ones. So even if you are forced to order two sets of bands, no worries, just use whichever color you like better :D It will work for both parts of your stay. I'm collecting colors so I don't decline the free bands :D

I have many special edition bands purchased over the years that I use for on-site stays, rather than the solid color bands.

Does anyone buy themselves a magic band once at Disney and then connect it to your account and use it? If so, how successful are you? How long will that magic band last for?
Yes, I've purchased many of the special or graphical bands at the parks. I have over 25 linked to me in my My Disney Experience Account, and I can use any one I want, whenever I want.

As for how long they last... Keep in mind that Magicbands have two RFID transmitters inside the "ICON" (some call it a puck, but its the part with the Mickey Head on it).

One is for short range, like where you tap the band, think park entry, fastpass queue entry, photopass, if staying on property it includes unlocking your room's door, pool entry, purchases, etc... The short range doesn't rely on battery and will continue to work as long as Disney uses this technology. So I could use my first bands from 2014 to tap if I wanted to.

The other is for long range, like auto-linking some ride photos and videos (Pirates, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, etc), finding you with your food for Be Our Guest breakfast/lunch, putting your name on the sign near the end of Its a Small World, etc. This long range RFID relies on a battery inside the band that can not be changed. The battery is said to last about 2 years, but no one has been able to tell me how to test it.

With MagicBand 2.0, you can also swap the ICON from one strap to another. So you could take a new icon from a solid band and put it in the older graphical strip if you wanted to.

Since some of my special bands have special lights/colors/sounds at the tapstyles which are tied to the RFID in the icon, so I don't swap them out. Instead, if I'm using an older band and I'm worried about the long range features still functioning, I just take a newer band(which has a good battery) in my pocket or bag, it does the long range stuff. The one on my wrist still does the tapping.

And remember, once a band is assigned to someone, it can't be re-assigned to someone else. So like I purchased a May the 4th band and assigned it to me, I can't now give it to my son to use.

You don't have to get any bands at all. Any you have will work. So if you get one, it will work. It doesn't matter what band you have, it will work. New one, or one you have, they are all the same.

Does anyone buy themselves a magic band once at Disney and then connect it to your account and use it? If so, how successful are you? How long will that magic band last for?
Sure, We all have graphic MB that we've bought. They last forever for touchpoint use. Batteries only wear out for long range photos. I don't like ride photos so that doesn't matter to us at all

other is for long range, like auto-linking some ride photos and videos (Pirates, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, etc), finding you with your food for Be Our Guest breakfast/lunch, putting your name on the sign near the end of Its a Small World, etc. This long range RFID relies on a battery inside the band that can not be changed. The battery is said to last about 2 years, but no one has been able to tell me how to test it.
It's easy to test. Take the old band on one of the said rides. No photo, it's not working. Photo, it is.

It's easy to test. Take the old band on one of the said rides. No photo, it's not working. Photo, it is.
Well yeah. But I like my ride photos so I don't chance it :) I take the 2nd icon with me. Worst case I get two copies of photos .

I meant for testing before you get to the park.

Well yeah. But I like my ride photos so I don't chance it :) I take the 2nd icon with me. Worst case I get two copies of photos .

Take a new band and the old one with you.
Get 2 copies, both work
Get 1, the old one isn't working
That's how I know the Gen 1 bands are no longer working, we don't get 4 copies of ride photos when DD is with us (her graphic band is an old Gen 1 band)
But yeah, there is no test for them

As long as one person in the party has a new band you will get the photos & video So its easy to tell when an old band isn’t fully functional anymore.

I only use One band a specialty band I got as a gift from my kids. As long as one of us has a newer band on or in our park bag we know we will get the photos too.

Thanks for the info on the new vs old bands! We’re heading to a Halloween party before our on site stay and my daughter wants to coordinate her band to her outfit. We’ve got some older ones that will match so that should work for her park entry and if I take mine from last year it should work for the ride photos. Do I have that right? I’m hoping to not have to buy a new magic band when we will be getting 3 sets of them a few days after the party.

As long as one person in the party has a new band you will get the photos & video So its easy to tell when an old band isn’t fully functional anymore.

I only use One band a specialty band I got as a gift from my kids. As long as one of us has a newer band on or in our park bag we know we will get the photos too.
we all use graphic bands. My wife loves her 2016 Run Disney and Nemo, my son his On Demand Stitch with his name, his Pandora and Epcot bands, and I have a few 45th bands, D&B, Epcot 35, and more that I use. So I keep a solid icon (from resort stay band) in MagicKeeper on my bag .

But with my having AP, and my wife and son not... I find if they scanned for them, the photos expire in 45 days (as normal for non-passholder) but because of my annual pass when I scan they expire in 13 months (as normal for APH)... So I prefer being the one who scans, or has the newer icon with me .

We are both saying the same thing . Just differently, and for different reasons....

The only way to know if your battery (for long rang) is good is to use it and see what happens. Short of that, take a new band with you (either use the new band, or bring in your bag) for the long range stuff.

Thanks for the info on the new vs old bands! We’re heading to a Halloween party before our on site stay and my daughter wants to coordinate her band to her outfit. We’ve got some older ones that will match so that should work for her park entry and if I take mine from last year it should work for the ride photos. Do I have that right? I’m hoping to not have to buy a new magic band when we will be getting 3 sets of them a few days after the party.
Yes. The older bands will work for tapping. As long as you have at least one band that is about less than two years old it should still work for long range features and auto linking photos .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter