Anyone else worried about their unvaccinated minor?

drb116

Mouseketeer
We are scheduled to cruise next week on the Dream and I am starting to have second thoughts with the Delta variant. If the Delta variant is highly transmissible even by vaccinated people and vaccinated people do not need to be tested, doesn't that mean that there could be many people carrying the Delta variant without knowing and they could then spread it easily in a cruise environment to an unvaccinated passenger?

I know I have the option of not going (so no need to reply and tell me that), but I am just curious what others think. Do you think the protocols in place are sufficient to stop transmission? Is anyone else concerned with this?

Thanks!

As a parent I am always concerned, but for me it all comes down to how careful you believe you and your child are. You can't change, control, predict, or influence others. All you can do is what YOU can do. For us, we are very careful, always wear masks out even though we are all vaccinated (except for 8-year old son). He ALWAYS wears his mask. Like always. We will get in the car, and he forgets to take it off. He really doesn't mind it at all. He is also a bit of an introvert and doesn't go up to groups of strangers easily so he keeps to himself a lot.

For the things we do on cruises, I feel no less safe than on land (of course we live in FL, epicenter of the outbreak, so ANYTHING is better than staying here LOL). The biggest risk for him I feel is the kids club, but at least there I know Disney will ensure everyone is masked. He will be starting school in a few weeks and there is no way for me to ensure that all his classmates will wear masks in school, so the kids club on the ship is safer in my mind than school.

So for us, we are going. I won't say it's "safe", because it isn't. I won't say we aren't concerned because we are. But I do feel the protocols in place will be at least as good as if we stayed home, possibly better.

I think if you are going you are saying I am fine with them getting the Delta variant. We thought about bringing our kids but with the oldest starting school this year (already missing a week of school in January for WDW) and the youngest only being 2 we decided its better to wait one more cruise before they come. So we never had to make the decision you are making.

My big concern as well would be what happens when we return? The oldest could test positive and be out of school another 1-2 weeks.

We aren't cruising again until April, but it's been awhile since I've heard much about vaccines and mine is only 4 so he may not be in the next group approved. It has definitely crossed my mind that it could be a problem. Mine is good with wearing his mask, but I'm still concerned. I've decided to re-evaluate when final payment is due and if he's not vaccinated we won't go though it will mean I lose the future booking credit I applied to this cruise.

Not saying not concerned about the kids with covid; we are and take precautions. But relative to so many things in life I feel they are just as likely to get it at school, a play date, a store, etc.

And based on statistics I am less concerned about covid with a child than I am a car wreck.
A child is at far greater risk of harm by traveling in a car which they do everyday than Covid being a problem for them (unless perhaps they have an underlying health issue). More important to care about safe driving and not playing with smart phones when driving than the risk of covid.

Last edited:
We are sailing on the Fantasy in November with our 10 and 6 year olds. They have been in a summer camp for the past two months without and issues (in Florida) and no masks. We have been to Universal a few times and have a trip planned this weekend. We ensure they wash their hands and try not to touch things (more so for our 6yo). Based on my research of numerous scientific articles, the risk of serious issues/death from COVID is less than or equal to the flu for their age group. Florida data shows a 99.997% survival rate for children under 16, so I feel very safe. We are actually more concerned with paying the same price for a lesser experience at this point, but so many things can change between now and November.

I think there will be cases as the tests & vaccines are not protecting 100% of the people, plus Delta being more contagious.

However catching it as a minor or vaccinated adult is not what should be your biggest worry, if you follow protocol you can avoid a lot, but better is to have a good plan for the worst case scenario. What will you do if one tests positive. Have a plan to travel home, work/study to work online.

I think there will be cases as the tests & vaccines are not protecting 100% of the people, plus Delta being more contagious.

However catching it as a minor or vaccinated adult is not what should be your biggest worry, if you follow protocol you can avoid a lot, but better is to have a good plan for the worst case scenario. What will you do if one tests positive. Have a plan to travel home, work/study to work online.

Honestly - that is our biggest concern. That one of us (all vaccinated) tests positive during a cruise (if mid-cruise testing becomes required for longer sailings) or in between our B2B and then we get the boot and have to go home.

Everyone in our family is vaccinated but our 2 year old granddaughter. And she is in daycare and she has always been our risk factor. So yes, I would be concerned about her. However, given the current virus situation, I don't know how cruise lines can sail without testing everyone without regard to vaccine status. Or just halt sailing.

Your unvaccinated minor is at lower risk than a fully vaccinated adult.

Kids can GET covid, but they're extremely unlikely to GET SICK from covid. This has always been true and remains true with Delta.

The purpose of masking and distancing the kids was not to protect the kids themselves (because they don't need protecting), it was to prevent them from being transmission vectors to people who actually ARE high risk. Now that those actual high-risk people are vaccinated, there's nothing left to worry about regarding children.

Last edited:
Honestly - that is our biggest concern. That one of us (all vaccinated) tests positive during a cruise (if mid-cruise testing becomes required for longer sailings) or in between our B2B and then we get the boot and have to go home.
I don't mind getting booted but does that mean you then have to quarantine in Florida for two weeks? I would think so. Not sure how the travel insurance would respond to that even if Covid19 was not excluded.

We are scheduled to cruise next week on the Dream and I am starting to have second thoughts with the Delta variant. If the Delta variant is highly transmissible even by vaccinated people and vaccinated people do not need to be tested, doesn't that mean that there could be many people carrying the Delta variant without knowing and they could then spread it easily in a cruise environment to an unvaccinated passenger?

I know I have the option of not going (so no need to reply and tell me that), but I am just curious what others think. Do you think the protocols in place are sufficient to stop transmission? Is anyone else concerned with this?

Thanks!

Yes, we are concerned. My daughter will be turning 9 while on our cruise in September and we are changing our mind daily about going. We switched from a WDW trip to the Dream as soon as the protocols were announced because we felt safer knowing everyone was vaccinated or tested, masks would be required indoors, and distancing would be in place. Since then obviously a lot has come to light about Delta and I am definitely concerned if they stick with only testing unvaccinated guests. My hope is that they will change the policy to include a test for all guests prior to embarkation.

To be frank, if my daughters were at the age where they could not be vaccinated I would not go on a cruise. There are just to many variables now with Covid and with all the news outlets competing for headlines I really don't know who or what to believe sometimes. That being said my wife and I are fully vaccinated and we would cruise tomorrow if we could.

I agree with some of the previous posters. I know DCL is trying to do their best but with all the breakthrough infections I would move the cruise and go later. I know it is disappointing but you don't so come home with a sick child or spend your trip worrying. Good luck with your decision.

Everyone is different. Some people are ok with taking their kids and some are not. You just have to decide which side of the fence you're on. Are the protocols enough? Probably not. The main question I have which remains unanswered is what type of contact tracing will they be using (if any at all). Without contact tracing then there will most likely be spread although it may not be noticed until cruisers return home

We're not going anywhere we do not have to go until our 10 year old is vaccinated. To each their own, but some kids do get sick from Covid. Our cruises are scheduled, but we still have time to cancel.

I am hopeful that my youngest will be able to be vaccinated before Christmas, but if they don't announce protocols for the other ships/ports within the next month or so, we are out. While breakthrough cases can happen, they are still quite uncommon, certainly relative to the unvaccinated population, and as for kids there is more to it than the mortality rate. Long Covid is a real thing among children too.

We have decided not to cruise with our kids until they are both vaccinated. Long covid scares me more than death from a potential infection and I refuse to take that chance with my kids, especially my unvaccinated kid. When (if) we cruise just DH and I, we are fully conscious of the risks and are old and educated enough to consent to those risks (we are both vaccinated).

at this point, my son has been in school, played sports, went to summer camp, plays outside ALL day, goes to the gym, stays all night with friends, etc. and hasnt had COVID, flu, a cold, or sniffles (aside from allergies) for over 18 months. Even if he were to get COVID survivablity it, what, 99.997% ??

Unless it keeps him from attending school, he wont be vaccinated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter