Anyone ever done this? 5 in 4? Am I missing a drawback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gt4094b

Earning My Ears
My 5-member family (myself, wife, 3 kids) is currently planning a trip to Disney in May 2018. In the past, until my 3 year old turned 3, we always stayed at Pop or one of the AS resorts. Not fancy, but did the job since we were basically only there to sleep. Worked fine 3 in one bed and 2 in another.

Now, however, the 3 year old is 3 and we've got to stay in a moderate that sleeps 5. Obviously, that's a big jump in price. Has anyone ever booked a 4 person stay in an AS or Pop, bought a 4 person dining plan, and just bought a park ticket for the 5th member of the family? Obviously we'd have 1 less dining credit per QS/TS (easily handled as we're light eaters and the 3 year old would be eating even less), and the sleeping situation will be a little crowded, but it's something around a $600 savings vs. putting the 5 of us in a moderate. I even have an old Magicband for her to link into MDE. Am I missing a drawback to this plan?

I doubt that you are trolling here, but the responses you are likely to get will make you feel like one.

Hope you have a flame proof suit handy. :)

My 5-member family (myself, wife, 3 kids) is currently planning a trip to Disney in May 2018. In the past, until my 3 year old turned 3, we always stayed at Pop or one of the AS resorts. Not fancy, but did the job since we were basically only there to sleep. Worked fine 3 in one bed and 2 in another.Now, however, the 3 year old is 3 and we've got to stay in a moderate that sleeps 5. Obviously, that's a big jump in price. Has anyone ever booked a 4 person stay in an AS or Pop, bought a 4 person dining plan, and just bought a park ticket for the 5th member of the family? Obviously we'd have 1 less dining credit per QS/TS (easily handled as we're light eaters and the 3 year old would be eating even less), and the sleeping situation will be a little crowded, but it's something around a $600 savings vs. putting the 5 of us in a moderate. I even have an old Magicband for her to link into MDE. Am I missing a drawback to this plan?

This post will prob get deleted by a mod b/c you can't talk about breaking Disney rules on this site. Other than what you listed, the 5th person would not be able to use the Magical Express, and you run the risk of getting caught and kicked out.

Now, if you booked a room that slept 5 and kept one or two people off the reservation to avoid paying for the dining plan for everyone; I don't think that would be a problem. You could buy tickets separately for the people not on the reseravation and then register them when you got there. They would get EMH and presumably Magical Express on the way home (but not on the way there)

My 5-member family (myself, wife, 3 kids) is currently planning a trip to Disney in May 2018. In the past, until my 3 year old turned 3, we always stayed at Pop or one of the AS resorts. Not fancy, but did the job since we were basically only there to sleep. Worked fine 3 in one bed and 2 in another.

Now, however, the 3 year old is 3 and we've got to stay in a moderate that sleeps 5. Obviously, that's a big jump in price. Has anyone ever booked a 4 person stay in an AS or Pop, bought a 4 person dining plan, and just bought a park ticket for the 5th member of the family? Obviously we'd have 1 less dining credit per QS/TS (easily handled as we're light eaters and the 3 year old would be eating even less), and the sleeping situation will be a little crowded, but it's something around a $600 savings vs. putting the 5 of us in a moderate. I even have an old Magicband for her to link into MDE. Am I missing a drawback to this plan?

The drawback is it is against the rules, and if you are caught you will either have to pay rack rate for another room or leave. And now that Disney seems to be going to do safety checks at all resort rooms the odds are good you would get caught.

If the 3 year old looks like a two year old I guess you could say that they are 2 and thus not subject to the meal plan or park ticket. Not having a two year old I don't know how they'd verify that though and what penalties you'd get if they found out.

If the 3 year old looks like a two year old I guess you could say that they are 2 and thus not subject to the meal plan or park ticket. Not having a two year old I don't know how they'd verify that though and what penalties you'd get if they found out.

If you read the fine print the penalty could be Disney keeping your money and kicking you out. If you book with them under false pretenses they would have the right to do both of those things.

Have you looked into the family suites at All-Star Music? They might be a bit cheaper than what you are looking at at a moderate. They are definitely more expensive than a regular value room though, but still it could be an option. I stayed in one last year and it was great. It even has two full bathrooms. Just a thought.

Would the 5th person be able to book FP at the 60 day mark or would they have to wait till 30 days? That could be a big deal depending on when you are going and what rides you want to ride. We are a family of 6 we used to stay moderate but our youngest just turned 3 so we maxed out the 5 room and will be doing 2 values at POP. You would love the mod pools and the kids would love the Murphy bed. I wouldn’t do it because the consequences just aren’t worth me enjoying every minute of my vacation. I see you are going in May we were able to get a really good agency exclusive deal and I know they had one for POR. I had checked and for POR for family of 5 if we didn’t take my mom with regular dining plan and 7 day base ticket for 6 nights 4750.00. Memorial week.

Last edited:
Would the 5th person be able to book FP at the 60 day mark or would they have to wait till 30 days? That could be a big deal depending on when you are going and what rides you want to ride. We are a family of 6 we used to stay moderate but our youngest just turned 3 so we maxed out the 5 room and will be doing 2 values at POP. You would love the mod pools and the kids would love the Murphy bed. I wouldn’t do it because the consequences just aren’t worth me enjoying every minute of my vacation.
There are actually ways around this. You just have to check their name along with the name of someone staying on site. This isn't breaking a rule.

Booking 5 in a room for 4 is. And breaking fire codes. So what OP wants to do is not allowed. But the FP isn't the reason. So the drawback to OP is, it's against the firecodes and the rules. So a big drawback.

I believe the below is even allowed, if you wait till you arrive and do it. Seems like I've read you can add to a package once you check in and have those you add different. But you must do it at the front desk. And I may well be mis-remembering it
Now, if you booked a room that slept 5 and kept one or two people off the reservation to avoid paying for the dining plan for everyone; I don't think that would be a problem. You could buy tickets separately for the people not on the reseravation and then register them when you got there. They would get EMH and presumably Magical Express on the way home (but not on the way there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter