Anyone fall out of watermice or tip over?

Rhonna

DIS Veteran
I want to try the watermice this time - my sister is worried they could tip over. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Rhonna

It has happened before, but it is very rare that it does happen. Just don't try wake jumping and you should be fine. Hubby and I love the watermice, they are a lot of fun, but like driving your car you just have to be cautious. Pay attention to what others are doing around you and if you happen upon a wake from another boat just slow down a little bit. I too have had my moments of thinking that it was going to tip and I just slowed down and we were fine. The experience itself is fun :)

They are very very difficult to tip over! We did the family plan a few weeks ago and love the pontoons and Sea Rays (they were formerly known as Water Mice). You can get alot of water in the boat if you are a dare devil though. DH and 18 year old DS had so much fun jumping the wakes...and the son had a situation where he had about 12 inches of water in the boat and was bailing water. The Boston Whaler came over, checked on him and offered to tow him back with a smile on their faces, but he just bailed it all out with his hands and headed back to the resort and traded boats. They are a blast!! You will have a wonderful time, if you are concerned, just dont jump wakes, and make sharp turns.

This past christmas we saw a couple accidently gun a boat while approaching the boat ramp...they completely flipped the boat over....While this was an isolated event....always be cautious in these boats....

I do know that you can get them air borne!

About 27 years ago, my dad took my brother (then 5) out on one. My dad let my brother steer and control the speed for a little while. All of a suden, my brother punches the throtle to full speed ahead, while turning the wheel all the way to one side. They jumped out of the water, over another little old lady in another mouse. My father still to this day remembers the look on the lady's face as they lept over her!

Needless to say, my father took back wheel once they were back in the water.

They are not toys. I would be cautious when considering allowing a teen to drive one (how responsible are they?).

But if you follow some simple rules/suggestions you'll have a great time and they are fun.

Stay clear of other boats.

Don't turn at high speeds.

Try to avoid coming too close to shore (not sure how deep it is there - you don't want to ground yourself)

When waves approach, SLOW your engine and turn into the wave (this will keep you from being hit by a wave on the side of the boat - a large enough wave could tip the boat).

When approaching the docks, SLOW down.

Have fun.

At the Contemporary on Easter Sunday they instituted new rules about who could drive the Sea Rays. You had to be older than 16 and have a valid Driver's License (not a boat license).

Does anyone know if they have changed it back to 5', age 12 + or is it still valid Driver's License?

Yes they can tip over. Here is MY story. Not a legend or anything else.
In 1989, My father and I took one of the watermice out. I weighed about 110 (18 and small) and my father was about 180. So together we were well under the weight limit of 350. We took the boat out toward the island in the lake at Fort Wilderness. We came around a bend and hit a head wind. The boat started taking on water (sinking) and we jumped out. It flipped and floated so we could hold onto it. Another boater in a water mouse came by and picked up my Father to get help. Now that boat had two guys with combined weight over 250. It didn't flip. Someone else had let the dock know and they came out with a big boat to pull us out and tow the water mouse in.
So YES it CAN happen. But you will have a life jacket, the boats do float and there are others out there with should you have any problems.

We rented ours at the Contemporary and the age is still 16 with a valid's driver license and this was over Memorial Day Weekend.

We were riding around and we had a couple pass us and the woman yelled to the man "Hurry up just cut them off"

We were shocked and hoped she doesn't drive like that on
land, ;)

I think they would be VERY difficult to tip.

Last trip I was in a boat with my 9 year old DD. I am not a boater and so this was all new to me. Also, the lake was full of unsupervised teens who thought it was funny to cut us off. Well, my daughter and I were just having a leisurely ride when one of the big boats that take people from the resorts to MK came through. No problem, I just let him pass and then started going a little faster when one of those teens cut us off. I turned - I guess the wrong way - and the wake from the boat completely covered my daughter and I. We were drenched and I thought for sure we were going down. We didn't. But my camera and pictures were ruined.

Are the boats numbered/identifiable enough that you could report reckless drivers?

We had a blast driving these last August, but like others have said here---do be careful.

Please follow the posted signs. If you are in a no wake zone, slow down. We saw too many people just zooming through, adults and kids, without a care to what the signage said.

Think twice before jumping wakes. I did it accidentally when another boat cut really close in front of me and the water washed over my boat. My daughter and I were soaked and we had water in the bottom of the boat.

If you have more than one passenger, or you are a larger adult, keep in mind that your boat may not be very agile.
My parents both rode in one, probably at the weight limit, and the steering was tough.
I turned my boat, with my daughter in it, sharply to head in a different direction and my parents were heading straight at me. They had been following me and I didn't see them. My dad couldn't turn in time and hit me head on. Very scary!

Same day, we saw a kid overturn his. He was turning in circles over and over and the boat tipped in a wake. The lifeguard boat was there almost immediately to pull him out of the water.

Remember that bigger boats have the right of way. We saw too many people trying to cut in front of the pontoon boats and ferries. We were waiting for an accident to happen.

Stay far enough away from shore so you don't get stuck!

Just remember to be safe, alert and have fun out there.

Plus, if you lose the driver he has a string attached to him so that the engine cuts out (prevents the boat from continuing on and hitting you when you are in the water).

Wow, somehow I thought it would be "disneyfied" and not possible for them to tip. I also didn't consider the getting drenched issue either.

Well, I would still like to try them. We will probably do mid-week on off season so maybe there won't be so many others out there to deal with.

My sister will be as slow as molasses - that is if I can even get her to take her own watermouse. I'm a faster driver but not wreckless.

Thanks for the water driving tips, I've never driven any kind of boat.

If you rent at the Poly, how far away do the waterways go? I thought I'd read we can go over that man-made "waterbridge" by the Contemporary. Does the water system hook up to where the former Discovery Island area is? Are there so many waterways that we could get lost?

Rhonna

Schmeck..yes the boats are marked on the fin in black letters, but you have to be fairly close to see it. You also can identify where the boat orginated from by the color of the drivers lifevest. Each of the 4 resorts on the Seven Seas Lagoon has them.

Rhonda....yes you can cover the entire expanse of the 2 lakes if you rent from the Poly. The only thing to consider is.....if the skys are looking even the tinist threatening, the Boston Whalers will call a Single Lake crusing pattern which means you can only cruise the lake of the resort that you rented in. They will put on their orange flashers and let you know.

We love to boat, and are experienced boaters, and we DO jump the wakes and love to get splashed and wet, but I must emphasize, that if you dont know how...dont do it! We have a blast doing it and making sharp turns, but we know what NOT to do and when to slow it down.

The only danger that I have seen on the lake is the main fact that MANY of the people driving these boats, have NO CLUE on what passing to the starboard (right) is and they cutother boats off to quickly. We spent some time teaching one of our 12 year olds to drive the last trip and I was astonished at how many people are clueless about the rules. I know that they were taught, because you listen to them before they even let you go out on the boat. When in doubt, stop and tell a Boston Whaler, they are everywhere and also let the marina staff know.

ENjoy!

Can an adult have 2 children as passengers in a water mouse?

Specifically, I'm wondering if my dd16 and I can each have a water mouse and each take 2 of my younger kids (ages 7, 7, 4, and 23 mos.) in them. Are there seat belts? How is the seating arranged?

TIA!

Sue

The reason the age changed from 12 to 16 is that some places have newer, faster boats. I've heard that the ones at DTD are the older, slower ones and 12 yos can still drive them.

I think there is only room for two people (2seats) in a watermouse.

Contemporary's age restriction is 16 with a valid drivers license-they have the new sea rays and they are quick and slick!

I've not flipped one, but I nearly sank one last time I went out...

It was just myself on it (I've been on them loads of times, and know their limits) and I do enjoy a good bit of wake jumping behind the big boats :teeth:

The last time however, it was very gusty, and as I hit a bit of wake, a really strong wind blew the front end of my boat round, and pitched it sideways into the water - with a huge wave of lovely brown lake water pouring into the boat. The boat was really sluggish, and it was near the end of my rental, so I just headed back.

They are one of the most entertaining things you can do in Disney, but you need to be careful. They also suck if you've got two people in them, as you can't go really fast.

Interestingly, dependant on where you hire, their speed limiters are set differently - Yacht Club and DTD boats are REALLY slow, and aren't much fun. Fort Wilderness ones are speedy though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter