Anyone fall out of watermice or tip over?

Can anyone tell me what the cost is for the family plan? How many family members can it include?

Thanks!!!!!!!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I asked that same question - here's what WDW sent me:

Marina Plans
Family Plan- $239 plus tax (non-refundable) - Includes use of boats for up to 5 guests for 10 calendar days. This offer is valid only for registered WDW Resort Guests. Boats are available on a first come, first serve basis. Other restrictions may apply. (Cruises and excursions are not included.)
Captain's Plan- $125 plus tax (non-refundable) - 4 hours of rentals (any combination) of boats. This offer is available to all Guests. Other restrictions may apply. (Cruises and excursions are not included.)

Now, my question is: How many of you have seen gators in Seven Seas Lagoon and where were they?

At the Contemporary on Easter Sunday they instituted new rules about who could drive the Sea Rays. You had to be older than 16 and have a valid Driver's License (not a boat license).

Does anyone know if they have changed it back to 5', age 12 + or is it still valid Driver's License?
Here's the rule for MK resort marinas with the faster boats:

To rent a boat to must be at least 16 and a licensed driver.

To drive you must be at least 12 and be at least 5 ft tall AND have an adult who's a licensed driver as a passenger.

Each boat are two limited to a maximum of two people.

The new rules didn't go into effect when the new boats arrived, they were changed after a couple of bad accidents with unsupervised younger drivers in the new boats.

Originally posted by momtotwinglesx4
Are there seat belts?

Sue

You don't want a seat belt on on boat....if you flipped (sank) you would be unable to get out.

WhispyPixie,

Thanks for the answers!

You mentioned we can go on the two lakes. Do you know if the one by the Contemporary includes the old Discovery Island or am I lost on my geography?

Who are the Boston Whalers? Sort of disney lifeguards? Do they have their own boats and if so, are they a certain color?

We stayed at the GF a couple years ago and overlooked the lake and used the water launches but I don't remember any lifeguard looking type official boats other than the transportation ones.

And just to confirm, you said a boater should pass on the right? That's a change from driving a car. I'll have to remember that one.

Just thought I'd mention to you, my name is Rhonna, no 'd' in it. It isn't a big deal but I did notice there is someone else on the boards who is named Rhonda (I think one of the moderators) so I didn't want any confusion.

Thanks for your help.

Rhonna

I rented the water mouse several times during my stay @ Poly in May. I had a blast each time. No sinking or tipping but @ one point I must have turned too sharp and poped the engine out of the water. The result was that my boat went very slow.

Is the wake the wave made by the boat in front of you?

The required driver's license is only required at the Magic Kingdom resorts and lakes. Be sure to have your license with you or you won't be allowed to rent. The driver can be 12 or older but a licensed driver must be in the boat.

The other resorts still have the previous rules of 12 and older.

All boats have a capacity of 2 only. There are no seat belts.

Also for beginner drivers please do remember to give way to the larger boats and remember a boat does not have brakes. You can not stop immediately. As to passing other boats or meeting other boats I think you misunderstood the situation. Below is some guidelines from the Coast Gaurd about safe boating.

OVERTAKING: Be ready for trouble when a power boat passes you in a narrow waterway. As the lead boat (which always has the right of way) stay on your side of the channel and maintain a steady speed so that the overtaking vessel can pass you safely.

MEETING: As in a car, both stay to your right & as far apart as practical, so its easier & safer to cross each other's wake. Give notice by steering to the right while still far apart. Then stay with that plan unless the other boat indicates otherwise. Slow down and meet with care.

Who are the Boston Whalers?
A "Boston Whaler" is a type of boat. At WDW they are driven by the "Lake Patrol" CMs. Think "boat cops".

"Boston Whaler":
72193014_1.jpg

Originally posted by MAGICinMYHEART
Sue

You don't want a seat belt on on boat....if you flipped (sank) you would be unable to get out.

Oh...that makes sense! Shows what *I* know, lol!

Another question: My dd is 16, but does not have her driver's license. (She did pass Driver's Ed in school, just hasn't gone to get her license yet). So can she show some other proof of her age, or is the requirement that you actually *have* a driver's license?

Valid Drivers License only-Same thing happened to DS in April and he had to take his dad in the boat with him.

I appreciate the info!! Do anyone know if you can get an AP discount or any discount on the Family plan?

Ok..lets try this post again...it seems I am having some difficulty getting my post through today...

Rhonna....sorry about the error in your name...I saw I had flubbed when I had posted and didnt take the time to correct....that is what happens when you have 4 kids..lol

A Boston Whaler is what Geoff has shown you in the above post. The are like the lake's police officers. The aid, direct, and correct people on the lake. They also have flashing orange lights on their boats that they use when they want to clear the lake due to inclement weather. They are great.

Yes, you can cruise by, the old Discovery Island in the lake by the Contempory, you are in the right area. It is lots of fun. The parasailers are also in that area and you can get some good wakes to jump.

As for the right of way...when you see and on coming boat head on, you are to veer to the right....thus avoiding the boat and the approaching wake. This protects all involved. You are supposed to stay a good 15 ft or more away from all other Sea Rays as well.....no slowing down to talk to friend in another boat.

You MUST have a valid license!! No exceptions, regardless of age.

My only word of warning....stay away from people in boats making unwise choices..and simply let a Boston Whaler or Marina staff know what is going on.

Sorry no AP discounts.

*****Just a side note for those people wanting to use the Family Plan...it is fantastic. Our family of 6 used it for 9 days at the beginning of June. Be aware that the plan is UP TO 5 GUESTS, that means 5 DRIVERS...if you have children under 12 and less than 5ft...you can have more in the plan. My hubby figured it out.....and...if we had paid as we went for the Sea Rays, and Pontoons that we used in the plan, we would have easily spent over 1000K. It is a great plan and tons of fun if you have a family that loves boating!

WhispyPixie,

Thanks for the answers! I would like to go by Discovery Island - I really liked it when we could go there.

Geoff,

Thanks for the photo of the Boston Whalers.

So, I thought I read that you should turn the front (helm) of your boat into the wake of another boat to avoid getting broadsided by a wave. How is that different from trying to wave jump?

Approximately how long would it take to leave from the Poly, go around both lakes and return without adding "playing around" time?

Is there anything we need to know about crossing over the water bridge by the Contemporary?

Rhonna

Is there anything we need to know about crossing over the water bridge by the Contemporary?
It's a "No Wake" zone... meaning slow down to about walking speed. It would get real bumpy in there if people just tore trough there.

Other items (they make you read and sign the whole list of these beforehand, btw):

Watch out in the MK-TTC ferry lanes. The number one no-no seems to be to pass in front of a ferry.

There are a few "out of bounds" areas: The ferry docks (including the area between the "breakwater" and the smaller MK resort ferry docks, the canal where they store the Electrical Light Pagent.

Here's one that surprised me: NO PHOTOS may be taken from the boats.

You must wear your shoes in the boats.

Originally posted by Geoff_M
Watch out in the MK-TTC ferry lanes. The number one no-no seems to be to pass in front of a ferry.

To be fair, with the size of those things, would you want to get anywhere near the sharp end of one of those things?

Here's one that surprised me: NO PHOTOS may be taken from the boats.

Another Disney classic - they HATE you seeing the un-themed parts of the World. You get to see where they keep the water pagent stuff, as well as some service entrance areas that are impossible to see from on dry land - taking photos of these areas is a big Disney no-no regardless of whether you're in the boats or not.

To be fair, with the size of those things, would you want to get anywhere near the sharp end of one of those things?
You assume that the rest of the world is inhabited with common sense people like you and me... and can easily see some thrill-seeking teen try to play "chicken" with a buddy by chopping across the bow of a ferry.

Another Disney classic - they HATE you seeing the un-themed parts of the World. You get to see where they keep the water pagent stuff, as well as some service entrance areas that are impossible to see from on dry land...
I imagine that's the case, but then again I didn't see anything that isn't plainly visable from the Monorails too... you get a great view of the water pagent canal up there!

Both points noted (you're spot on about the first one!) - although on the monorail you can see behind the scenes, you can't get close to the "backstage" areas for a good photos, and the combination of being up high, in motion, and being behind tinted windows mean that any photos would be fairly rubbish when taken from on the monorail. In a boat, you can stop, pull out a zoom lens, and get clear shots of what Disney don't want to be seen, so it's obviously in Disney's interests not to let you take photos - how the heck they'd enforce this rule is anyone's guess though, I'm sure the Whalers have bigger things to worry about.

Like teenagers playing chicken with ferries! ;)

Not sure, but I have a funny Water Mice story to share. Once my very good friend and I rented these, I think I was 14 at the time. We were in Disney for a week for my mom's convention so we had some quality teenager hanging out time to fill. So we got the boats for an hour and off we went... in the EPCOT area. Everything was great until I went under one of the bridges. A few moments later I heard one of the Friendship type boats horns. I turned too quickly and the key got pulled out. I was not very agile, and as the boat kept approaching, I was panicing. I got the key in, but each time I turned to pull the cord to start the engine it came out again, the boat scrapped by me and I took a deep breath, I got knocked around a little, kinda wet and when it was all said and done I never got in another Water Mice boat again...lol. It took me another 15 minutes to coordinate myself enough to start the darn thing, with my friend sitting 5-10 feet away laughing the whole time. :confused3

I am really glad they changed the ages to ride the water mice.
We were in FW last August and my 2 sons and their friend were finally old enough for all of them to drive their own water mice by themselves. I was a little nervous, but they were 12, 13, and 14
and since you only had to be 12 I thought they would be ok.
We rented them for 1 hour, but about 1/2 hr into the rental, I saw my son and his friend coming back to the dock. The Marina workers said they were watching them and that they were warned about horsing around. So they told them they had to come in off the lake. The youngest one who was 12 was the only one allowed to keep riding. I wasn't charged anything for the rentals. The kids were disappointed but hopefully they learned a lesson. At least I won't be bugged anymore about riding there own. :hyper:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter