Anyone Fly into FLL and Sail Out of Miami?

ChicosWife

The Caribbean DCL Life For Us!
We are used to sailing out of PC. Can you Uber from FLL to the Miami cruise port reasonably? Any issues?

We did it last February. The cost of the ride is a bit high (but we saved a lot on flights and were able to get direct flights, unlike what we found for MIA), and the duration of the ride varies a lot based on traffic, but it is totally doable. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency near Brickell the night before the cruise, which is only 10 minutes from the terminal.

There are also many companies that provide transport, although I can't recall off the top of my head their names. I know there have been threads on here in the past, however. Because we can fly so much cheaper into FLL (on SWA usually), we have done this a few times. We usually stay by the FLL airport at a hotel with a shuttle -there are some great hotels on the beach at FLL - then either cab it or use one of these transport companies to take us down to Port of Miami.

Yes. We got in at midnight and took the first cab we saw which wasn’t an Uber. It was about $100 after tip. Would definitely be cheaper through Uber.

We used Jiffy Jeff from our FLL hotel to the port of Miami several times. It was super easy and I would recommend it.

At face value the question is easy - yes, you can Uber from FLL to Miami.

There are a lot of gaps that might need to be filled in to best understand your experience doing that trip. Just sharing a couple of thoughts to try and help you quantify the value of using FLL for yourself. All of my comments are pre-COVID so things maybe different.

- Traffic - South Florida traffic can be bad and unpredictable. If you are doing same day flights (in or out) give yourself a little buffer. Most of the time things should be reasonable but I personally have been in long delays and backups at all sorts of hours, including the usual rush hours.
- Airport -pre-COVID I had to travel a lot for work (120+ flight a year) and FLL is one of my least favorite airports and gets poor ratings from others too (TPG). It is not as easy to navigate, and has slow security which are key issues among other things . It works but if that matters to you it could lead to more anxiety or frustration.
- Hotels - if you are avoiding rushing/traffic by flying in the day before, some of the hotels can be great bargains but are not as nice. Ones on the water are nice but can be expensive. The HGI just south of the airport is a good balance. Once before a flight out I stayed near the airport (hotel name withheld), and got woken at 3 AM by a bunch of noise. Looked out the peephole but saw nothing. Next morning found blood on my door and down the hall. Told the front desk at checkout and they said “oh, we thought we got it all”.

I just looked at my Uber account and in February of 2019 we paid $79 from FLL for our pre-Magic cruise hotel in Miami beach. No problems, very relaxing ride. I agree with @ScooterScott44 about the hotel cost on Miami Beach however I booked with reward points so I didn't mind.

Last edited:
No experience with Uber, but flew into FLL and took a van shuttle to Port of Miami after overnight in Ft Lauderdale.

Yep. We flew in evening before and it was $50 to Uber from FLL to a hotel in downtown Miami. Was easy peasy, but after rush hour ended so not much traffic.

(from ScooterScott44- Airport - FLL is one of my least favorite airports and gets poor ratings from others too (TPG). It is not as easy to navigate, and has slow security which are key issues among other things.)

This is always so weird to me. When I lived in S. Florida I would 100% fly out of FLL anytime over MIA. I think MIA is the worst airport I have ever been to. My daughter flies to FL to see her dad several times a year and we flew her to MIA once. They don't even let you meet your unaccompanied minor kids at the gate.

We have flown into FLL, on Southwest, twice for cruises out of Miami. We used a private car service both times. First time we got into FLL early and stayed in Miami for the night prior to cruise. Second time we arrived early evening so stayed at a hotel near FLL and car picked us up next day to take us to the port. Hotels are typically a lot cheaper near FLL so didn't see the need to spend the extra money on Miami hotel just to sleep.

Yes, we fly Southwest 90% of the time and they only fly into FLL. We usually stay in FLL, then Uber/Lyft to the Miami port in the morning. An Uber was about $30-$40 for our sailing in February. And this was all during Super Bowl weekend in Miami, which we failed to realize when booking the cruise in the first place. No issues!

We do it all the time. Get an Uber or Lyft. We order an XL if we have lots of luggage. Never had an issue. If we get in late we stay near FLL and just take a Lyft to the port of Miami in the morning.

I do the opposite - fly into MIA and out of Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) on Celebrity. No reason it would not work in reverse.

We flew into FLL and stayed at a hotel near (walking distance) the TRI RAIL station and took the train to the Miami airport station the next morning. Fare was $3.75 per person one way. It is a commuter rail line, but was fairly empty mid-morning when we went. I don't recall how long it took. Taxi fare from Miami airport to the port was... $28? For our upcoming cruise the end of November, I think we're going to try the Brightline train, if it's running. (Right now it's shut down for pandemic.)

Last year we flew into FLL the day before our cruise. We rented a rental car and stayed in a hotel in Miami. The day of the cruise we dropped the rental car at Budget and took their shuttle into port. For our departure we took Jiffy Jeff from the port back to FLL and didn't have any problems at all.

Cheers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter