Anyone get surprise with their AncestryDNA results?

Marchand63

DIS Veteran
I know a bunch of us purchased the reduced AncestryDNA before Xmas.

I got my results part was just as I thought. I am 60% Irish, but who in Boston isn't :rotfl:

The other did surprise me. I was always told I was German descent. Well surprise surprise. I am actually of Russian descent with 4% is West Asian.

Anyone else get a surprise?

I know a bunch of us purchased the reduced AncestryDNA before Xmas.

I got my results part was just as I thought. I am 60% Irish, but who in Boston isn't :rotfl:

The other did surprise me. I was always told I was German descent. Well surprise surprise. I am actually of Russian descent with 4% is West Asian.

Anyone else get a surprise?

My father got the kit for Christmas. He's waiting on the results. It'll be interesting to see what they are.

I got the kit before Christmas as well but I still haven't sent it out. I may do it tonight and mail it out in the morning.

The only one of us who took the test was DS. We were surprised to see that he supposedly didn't have Native American ancestry, since we have a Native American in our family graveyard. DH said he also has Native American ancestry. I'm not convinced the test is accurate.

My mother took it thinking she would know the results. Her mother (my Baba) immigrated here in 1936 from Czechoslovakia. Her father's parents came here in 1915 from Czechoslovakia and he was born an American only 2 years later. So if anything she expected maybe some Ukrainian or Polish. She found out that she is 13% Spanish/Iberian penninsula!! Thats a pretty huge % from 2 parents that came from 2 small villages in eastern Europe. She also is 3% Irish and 6% Scandinavian. My aunt, her sister took the same DNA test and her 13% came out as Native American soooooo who knows:confused3 But we've since reconnected with our cousins in The Slovak Republic through the website so its been awesome!!

My mother took it thinking she would know the results. Her mother (my Baba) immigrated here in 1936 from Czechoslovakia. Her father's parents came here in 1915 from Czechoslovakia and he was born an American only 2 years later. So if anything she expected maybe some Ukrainian or Polish. She found out that she is 13% Spanish/Iberian penninsula!! Thats a pretty huge % from 2 parents that came from 2 small villages in eastern Europe. She also is 3% Irish and 6% Scandinavian. My aunt, her sister took the same DNA test and her 13% came out as Native American soooooo who knows:confused3 But we've since reconnected with our cousins in The Slovak Republic through the website so its been awesome!!

that's weird. The test itself is probably 'pretty' accurate. and how great that you got in touch with relatives there. I hadn't heard a story like that yet.

I took it not so much to find out "what" I am - I took it to try to find out "who" I am. I located my bio mother years ago but come up to dead ends with my bio father- getting closer though, located a few cousins on that side but they are pretty distant- one day a closer one will eventually pop up. I did my adoptive moms dna and strangest thing was this lady was listed as a first cousin and my mom didn't know her- I messaged her and she said that Gordon "smith" was her grandfather that abandoned her mother when she was a baby- Gordon was MY grandfather and that seemed really off, so we worked out family trees and timelines and it turns out it was his black sheep good for nothing brother that was the father not my moms dad- she was happy I was able to send her pictures of that part of the family to show her mom. I spend hours a day on ancestry working back family trees, making "mirror" trees of other people on my DNA list trying to trace it back to my bio father.

DD got this for me & DW. Not expecting any surprises on my side but we'll see what happens. :)

that's weird. The test itself is probably 'pretty' accurate. and how great that you got in touch with relatives there. I hadn't heard a story like that yet.

Yeah it is weird! My mom is really into genealogy,she's on the website all the time and she's heard that certain markers will come up differently and sometimes people need to be re-tested...my aunt's being lazy and hasn't been re-tested yet lol. As a child my Baba used to send all my old clothes(sometimes ones I was still wearing :laughing:) to her family back in her home village so we used to have contact. Sadly she's been gone 16years now so without ancestry website we really had no way of ever finding that entire side of the family cuz Baba was the only sibling who came over. We just exchanged Christmas gifts with my 2nd cousins:love:

Is anyone afraid to take the test? Maybe the test will prove that someone along the line who you thought was a blood relative really isn't?

Is anyone afraid to take the test? Maybe the test will prove that someone along the line who you thought was a blood relative really isn't?

At one point during my sons illness they tested my husband and I to be a bone marrow match for a transplant (they had tested my daughter months earlier), and I thought to myself, I wonder if someone somewhere had to have a Come to Jesus moment with their spouse now because the spouse may not be the bio dad.

The only one tested in our house is DH. I'm fairly confident on my origins--Dad was born i Italy, Mom's family is all French-Canadian. But Dh's father, in particular, has roots going back hundreds of years in this country, so there's a good mix. He came up with English and German (to be expected), no American Indian (which had been rumored), and a bunch of other, mostly European nationalities.

What surprised me more than anything was how accurate the test results were for ancestry origins. Through paper work research I already had a good idea of where my ancestors came from, and with that the % of my DNA in theory should be from a region of the world.

I don't entirely agree with the results I received, but overall they are a closer match than I expected.

The only one of us who took the test was DS. We were surprised to see that he supposedly didn't have Native American ancestry, since we have a Native American in our family graveyard. DH said he also has Native American ancestry. I'm not convinced the test is accurate.

I've seen a lot of discussions about this type situation. People are shocked to discover that their "family folklore" is what isn't accurate. I haven't done the test, but I know that DD's research has debunked more than one aspect of my family history. One was, my Grandmother got on a ship in England, and when she arrived in Ellis Island 8 days later, she was 10 years younger!

A co-worker did it but refused to check whatever link is on it that suggests possible relatives. As he put it.."my dad was in the navy, and I don't want to know about any half-siblings"

I know of two families more than a little in shock, and some turmoil, because of results received. Both cases also happen to debunk claims of Native American ancestry as well. it's now known that one claim of Native American ancestry was made to explain the distinctly different appearance of a baby from both parents and all other relatives. When the results were received and questions asked the mother, all her sisters and the baby who is now a grandparent refuse to speak one word if asked about the results.

The other case I know of is in DH's family. It's resulted in DH's uncles taking tests to determine if one of them is a father because of a link that's popped up to someone else. My MIL is upset that the testing debunked the family legend about Native American heritage, as well as extreme annoyance that my DH's and BIL's results showed a result my FIL is famous for disliking and mocking. It also happens to be one of the many parts of my heritage. He insists the results are incorrect, despite the fact DH and BIL took the tests individually and at separate times and refuses to test himself because "they'll just mess it up again".

I'm hesitant but not for that reason. I just don't know that I want my DNA on some list somewhere. I know I'm not a criminal but it doesn't feel right cataloging everyone.

I agree, but I am tempted because I'm quite sure my results will be interesting to say the least. I keep fighting the urge because I tend to keep personal info very private and cannot see offering up such a private issue in this way. It's not that I am at all anxious about the results, I expect a clown car of results, but I don't think it's anybody else's business either.

I agree, but I am tempted because I'm quite sure my results will be interesting to say the least. I keep fighting the urge because I tend to keep personal info very private and cannot see offering up such a private issue in this way. It's not that I am at all anxious about the results, I expect a clown car of results, but I don't think it's anybody else's business either.

Yep, me too. Enough of your personal info. is out there, I don't need my DNA out there too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter