Anyone get surprise with their AncestryDNA results?

Not me, but a relative of mine just found the son he gave up for adoption when the dad was a teenager over 40 years ago. Talk about shocking news in our family!

The cool thing is the son looks exactly like another relative - from what I've heard of the story, there was some back and forth between the dad and son to make sure everything was legit before they exchanged contact info, but once everything was verified to be true and they got pictures of each other, the first thing the dad did was tell the son to go to the 3rd relative's FB page and look at the pictures. The son came back and said the resemblance was "scary similar" (in a good way lol) He said it was emotional because since he was adopted, this was the first time in his life that he actually looked like someone, much less so closely!

As far as the actual DNA test, I guess ancestry.com comes back with the DNA matches from it's database and says how much of a % match you are to the other people with your DNA. In this case, the dad got a message that this person (his son) was almost a 100% match and it was "extremely possible" that the person was a parent or child to my relative. The son had gotten the kit as a gift and took it 2 months prior. What a coincidence that they both did the kit at almost the exact same time!

I totally understand that! When I found out who my birth father was last year and saw a picture of his sister, my aunt, I literally gasped. It was like looking in a mirror (if I'd have been born in 1930 lol). I had known who my birth mother was and have known my 2 half siblings for years, but look nothing like them. It was really cool AND eerie to look so much like someone I'd never met or would meet as she had died years ago. Very strong genes in that side of the family!

Just saw a commercial where woman says something like...... "this is my cousin George Washington" ..... BIG WHOOOOOP !!!!! mine said I'm related to Jimmy Buffett SO WHAT!!!!

Just saw a commercial where woman says something like...... "this is my cousin George Washington" ..... BIG WHOOOOOP !!!!! mine said I'm related to Jimmy Buffett SO WHAT!!!!
Oh sheeeet that would be better than George Washington lol

Ancestry alerted me of an update.

Changed East Asian to Philippines and now as specific with Ireland/England/France and German.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter