Anyone had cataract surgery?

Funny how we are all so different. I feel like Eeryore (depressed) and having to be pushed there! My mistake was seeing the operation on you tube. Can't imagine it's painless although most people like you have said it isn't. I work with a computer 80% of my day. I drive home 6 months of the year in the dark and we travel at night for sports for our daughter so would love a lens that did both. Monofocals can still give some people glare and halos but for most they don't appear to and multifocals have a higher incidence of these.
I can assure you that there was absolutely no pain at all. None! Not before, during or after. Probably the worst was getting the IV put in. Whatever they give to take the edge off really works well. I could basically feel the pressure of them working on it, but, nothing close to pain at all. After surgery, I, of course, had someone to drive me home, but, honestly I felt just fine. I had this weird little plastic cover over my eye, but, it wasn't a patch it was just to be sure that nothing touched my eye until the lens had basically healed in place.

I don't know how the Multi's work and I would surely ask that question if that is what I was opting for. So I cannot give you any advice on that part of it. I will say this though... stop worrying about it. You will find that the thinking about it was far worse then actually having it done.

I had cataracts creeping in for quite a while. My eye doctor had told me about them. I first realized the existance after a trip to WDW. It was a dark, rainy night and I was have a real problem seeing things. All I had were starburst affects whenever I saw a light. It was really uncomfortable. I suspected then that the cataract in that eye had progressed so I went to my doctor to get an opinion and that was his opinion. I made an appointment with the surgeon and the rest is history. Still think it is the best move I ever made.

I can assure you that there was absolutely no pain at all. None! Not before, during or after. Probably the worst was getting the IV put in. Whatever they give to take the edge off really works well. I could basically feel the pressure of them working on it, but, nothing close to pain at all. After surgery, I, of course, had someone to drive me home, but, honestly I felt just fine. I had this weird little plastic cover over my eye, but, it wasn't a patch it was just to be sure that nothing touched my eye until the lens had basically healed in place.

I don't know how the Multi's work and I would surely ask that question if that is what I was opting for. So I cannot give you any advice on that part of it. I will say this though... stop worrying about it. You will find that the thinking about it was far worse then actually having it done.

I had cataracts creeping in for quite a while. My eye doctor had told me about them. I first realized the existance after a trip to WDW. It was a dark, rainy night and I was have a real problem seeing things. All I had were starburst affects whenever I saw a light. It was really uncomfortable. I suspected then that the cataract in that eye had progressed so I went to my doctor to get an opinion and that was his opinion. I made an appointment with the surgeon and the rest is history. Still think it is the best move I ever made.

I don't think where I live they sedate you by UV. They gave me a prescription for Ativan that I can choose to take or not. Surgeon numbs your eye.

Sure hoping mine goes as well as yours.

Good luck!
My dad had cataract surgery a few years ago, and it went really smoothly. We went to WDW right before the surgery and then again a few months after. When we saw the Muppet show in Hollywood studios on the later trip, he commented that it was so much better in 3D! :-) He could actually see the 3D correctly after the surgery when he couldn't before hand.

Good luck!
My dad had cataract surgery a few years ago, and it went really smoothly. We went to WDW right before the surgery and then again a few months after. When we saw the Muppet show in Hollywood studios on the later trip, he commented that it was so much better in 3D! :-) He could actually see the 3D correctly after the surgery when he couldn't before hand.

Thanks - yes can't wait to go to Disney and experience everything in bright colours !!!

I had sinus surgery once with an IV that made me groggy, but I still felt the entire procedure...shots in the inner nostrils, etc; Do you feel an injection, if any, in your eye, but you are groggy? I'm concerned.

Most cataract surgeries are done in either a freestanding clinic or a day surgery. In the surgeries I worked at, patients had IV sedation so that they wouldn't move during the procedure, and had no memory of what was going on. It's a short acting sedative, but you would still be a little sleepy when you go home.

My biggest concern is feeling the injection and surgery in the eye. If they numb it enough, it might be uncomfortable to have your eye opened up with a clamp, but if that's all then it might be worth it to see like a teen again, providing all other health situations are addressed.

I'm surprised about the IV Sedation Meds that you are talking about. I had no IV and no sedation. The only thing that I was given, other then pupil dilation, were drops in my eye to numb it. I know of no other thing that was used. I was alert for the entire thing and had no pain either during or after the procedure, walked myself out the door within 20 minutes of the surgery and went home. I live by myself as well. Have others had to have an IV sedation treatment? Is it a different set of circumstances? I'm a little confused.

My biggest concern is feeling the injection and surgery in the eye. If they numb it enough, it might be uncomfortable to have your eye opened up with a clamp, but if that's all then it might be worth it to see like a teen again, providing all other health situations are addressed.

Don't think the IV is for anything but to semi sedate you. I have a prescription for Ativan so don't think I will have sedation by IV (although not sure if Ativan is enough to calm the nerves. Your eye is numbed with drops from my understanding but I could be wrong.

I had both eyes done last Fall--one in late October, the other in early November. Piece of cake for me and I haven't worn glasses since the surgery(after 50+ years of needing them for everything.) There was no pain whatsoever, I had a dose of some sedative that was mixed with a splash of Sprite served in a little plastic cup like you get with a bottle of cough medicine--that stuff was awesome.:cloud9: Then they numbed my eyes with drops and all I saw or felt for a few minutes were bright lights. I was never aware of any clamp on my eyes though I'm sure there was one. That's how out of it I felt (in a good way.) I did have an IV for hydration but that's all it was. Couldn't drink water after 10pm the night before so they didn't want me drying out during the procedure.

I was required to have a driver to take me home but that was due to the effects of the sedative and some blurred vision that was mostly gone by the following day. Really the only slight issues with the whole thing were 1) Dealing with the post-op eyedrop regimen and 2) After I had the first eye done I still had to wear glasses to correct the other eye in the two week interim between surgeries. Vision was a bit wonky with one recovering eye and the other eye still looking through the eyeglasses lens. :tilt:

I'm really happy with the results and I paid quite a bit out of pocket for it. I know the thought of delicate eye surgery makes some people squeamish but it was a no brainer for me. Good luck to all my Dis friends.:)

I had both eyes done last Fall--one in late October, the other in early November. Piece of cake for me and I haven't worn glasses since the surgery(after 50+ years of needing them for everything.) There was no pain whatsoever, I had a dose of some sedative that was mixed with a splash of Sprite served in a little plastic cup like you get with a bottle of cough medicine--that stuff was awesome.:cloud9: Then they numbed my eyes with drops and all I saw or felt for a few minutes were bright lights. I was never aware of any clamp on my eyes though I'm sure there was one. That's how out of it I felt (in a good way.) I did have an IV for hydration but that's all it was. Couldn't drink water after 10pm the night before so they didn't want me drying out during the procedure.

I was required to have a driver to take me home but that was due to the effects of the sedative and some blurred vision that was mostly gone by the following day. Really the only slight issues with the whole thing were 1) Dealing with the post-op eyedrop regimen and 2) After I had the first eye done I still had to wear glasses to correct the other eye in the two week interim between surgeries. Vision was a bit wonky with one recovering eye and the other eye still looking through the eyeglasses lens. :tilt:

I'm really happy with the results and I paid quite a bit out of pocket for it. I know the thought of delicate eye surgery makes some people squeamish but it was a no brainer for me. Good luck to all my Dis friends.:)
Thanks so much for sharing your experience- hoping mine goes just the same. Do you recall what type of lenses you got? Sounds like if you had an out of pocket expense you opted for multifocal ones. So much on the cataract forums is very negative (might be people who are happy with them never bother to post about it). I am grateful to seeing a thread here on disboards about cataracts. Perhaps these are more indicative of what results are. Very pleased to read some happy positive outcomes.

Do you recall what type of lenses you got?

I know it sounds crazy but I don't recall exactly what I got. I know I had a choice of having the procedure done by laser or blade and I went for blade(cheaper) I do have the distance vision in one eye and the close-up vision in the other. I do use reading glasses for books & reading labels, but need nothing for anything else including driving, watching tv, working on computer, etc.

My doc had 4 or 5 options for lenses and I think I got the second cheapest one, it was about $3k per eye. For me it was money well-spent.

I know it sounds crazy but I don't recall exactly what I got. I know I had a choice of having the procedure done by laser or blade and I went for blade(cheaper) I do have the distance vision in one eye and the close-up vision in the other. I do use reading glasses for books & reading labels, but need nothing for anything else including driving, watching tv, working on computer, etc.

My doc had 4 or 5 options for lenses and I think I got the second cheapest one, it was about $3k per eye. For me it was money well-spent.
I live in Canada. Here after cataract surgery you are provided a card to carry on your wallet. Lens type as well as other medical info on the cataract surgery is on that card.

Don't think the IV is for anything but to semi sedate you. I have a prescription for Ativan so don't think I will have sedation by IV (although not sure if Ativan is enough to calm the nerves. Your eye is numbed with drops from my understanding but I could be wrong.
I work in a surgery center that performs cataract surgery, all our patients receive IV sedation. Mainly to help them relax, most are discharged within 20-30 min of the completion of the surgery
I have to be honest here, that is what I thought after the procedure. I didn't remember any IV being put in. After someone else reminded me I remember it fairly clearly. The nurse was talking to me about my being from Vermont and it was so non-evasive that I didn't remember it right away. However, yes, there was an IV and sedation via that. I think at the time they said it was just in case something happened they would be ready, which is probably why it didn't register as part of the procedure. It is the fastest way of getting the stuff into you so I think it is a major plus. I was, however, awake and having to perform some eye movements for them during it. There was no pain, they sedated, probably to calm me and I'm sure they used some type of numbing thing during the direct procedure. Whether it be Ativan or IV, it does the same thing... it keeps you anxiety controlled. I kept expecting something to hurt, but nothing did, I felt not even so much as a needle injection anywhere. What I did feel was just a minor amount of pressure... no pain just the pressure.

I work in a surgery center that performs cataract surgery, all our patients receive IV sedation. Mainly to help them relax, most are discharged within 20-30 min of the completion of the surgery
Do you know whether those who opt for multifocal lens are happy with them? I am co sideri g the new Symfony lenses for cataract surgery. I read some reviews where people are happy with them and others have night vision issues with glare and halos. Should people stick with monofocal lenses covered by insurance and wear glasses or opt for premium lenses? Thanks for your help.

Hi - just wanted to thank everyone for posting their cataract experience here. I had both my eyes done just recently and am doing fine. It certainly wasn't a "magical" experience and I am glad it is over and done with. Can't wait to see DW with my new eyes - but it'll have to wait for awhile. Got a Disney cruise planned for Jan 2018 first to enjoy.

The time for absolute correction was a month, but, slowly everyday it got a little better. Since I still had one eye that also had started the process of cataracts affecting my vision, it wasn't obstructive, so after the surgery I wore a plastic protective bubble over the repaired eye at night while I slept to prevent me from accidentally hitting or scratching it in my sleep. My days after the first week were absolutely normal except for the fact that I was actually seeing with just my good eye. The fixed one was also allowing me to see objects but the details were quite fuzzy, but, I still had peripheral vision with it and functioned quite well. Even the first weeks restrictions were just no heavy lifting and no bending over to the point where you head was below your waist. Everything else was OK to do.

I spoke with many people that had improved vision almost immediately, I was one of the few that didn't, but, it did come about and it had more to do with my cornea them my lens. It was outpatient, I arrived at 10am and was walking out the door by 1:30pm. I had to go back the next day for a followup and then 4 weeks later for a final check. During all that time after the first week, I just did my regular routine including playing golf. It seemed a little odd without the sharper focus of my "new" eye, but, it wasn't really debilitating, just seemed a little discouraging.

I think I know where you are coming from because I am old enough that I knew people that had cataract surgery and it was a big deal requiring coke bottle type lenses in order to see at all. I was completely aware during the procedure, but, there was no pain and they sufficiently obscured my good vision so I could not really see what was happening and could feel nothing. I could hear everything they were saying though, not that I understood a lot of it. They put drops in your eye that completely numb it. I was amazed how little it bothered me during the procedure.

I'm now scheduled to have the other one done in mid March. I wish it could be sooner.

Just wanted to thank you for your input - I had my cataract surgery last month and now ready to put this behind me and enjoy life again.

Hi - just wanted to thank everyone for posting their cataract experience here. I had both my eyes done just recently and am doing fine. It certainly wasn't a "magical" experience and I am glad it is over and done with. Can't wait to see DW with my new eyes - but it'll have to wait for awhile. Got a Disney cruise planned for Jan 2018 first to enjoy.

Nice of you to check in & report your results. You'll enjoy being able to see without glasses, enjoy that cruise!:earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter