Anyone notice what is #1 at the box office today ??

Sigh, if only Spring Break lasted 30 days HoTR might have a chance to hit $100M.

The movie isn't really that bad - and while we're at it - I still don't understand why TP tanked so badly either.

Top 10 Weekend Box Office Results

04/12/2004 -

#1 The Passion of the Christ (Newmarket) — $17.1 million. Total $355 million.
#2 Hellboy (Sony) — $11.1 million. Total $41.1 million.

#3 Johnson Family Vacation (Fox Searchlight) — $9.2 million. Total $11.6 million.

#4 The Alamo (Touchstone) — $9.2 million.

#5 Walking Tall (MGM) — $8.3 million. Total $28.8 million.

#6 Home on the Range (Disney) — $8.2 million. Total $27.5 million

#7 Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (Warner Bros.) — $8 million. Total $62.9 million.

#8 The Whole Ten Yards (Warner Bros.) — $6.7 million.

#9 Ella Enchanted (Miramax) — $6.1 million.

#10 The Girl Next Door (Fox) — $6 million.

well of course but its a good point that with the easter weekend over and kids out of school HOTR has a chance to make some money. And what im saying is that Alamo at #7 for yesterday sucks

And lets not forget the bomb known as Ladykillers. 2004 is shaping up to be nowhere near 2003 for Disney.

HOTR-bomb
Alamo-bomb
Ladykillers-bomb

its an explosive year ha ha ha ha

I haven't seen any of them. I love hand drawn animation, but HOTR just doesn't seem very "Disney" to me - I don't have alot of interest in the storyline.

I admit, when I first heard about "The Alamo", I was into it. I thought it would be great, but since the awful reviews came out, I'll probably just wait for the DVD.

"Ladykillers" - I haven't even HEARD of it.:confused:

Let's go back to 2003!;)

My boys loved HotR. I thought it was cute. I would have thought it would have done better. I only saw a few ads for it.

#1 for Tuesday also. Wonder if it has to do with all the chilly wetness on the East Coast, together with Easter breaks.

I was surprised. It seems to be picking up momentum. My kids don't want to see it, and they usually BEG to see the disney films. Must be the advertising.

I see Hellboy is tracking ok. I saw it with my son and really liked it. My daughter saw something else and came into the theater for the last 10 minutes. Now she wants to see the whole thing.

if anyone else thinks that HotR has been ignored by Disney advertising?

For instance I saw maybe 3 commercials for this movie. I saw many more commercials for the Brother Bear DVD/VHS release, and that still seemed underpromoted. The HotR commercials were amazingly absent. Even on the Disney Channel. The commercials I did see were not compelling. The commercials for Brother Bear at least had the funny moose in them. And when Brother Bear came out those damn moose were EVERYWHERE! Seriously, I was sick of them before the movie arrived. And that promotion really drove my kids to want to go see that movie. Although the best ever was the Lilo and Stitch commericals. We all laughed ourselves silly over those, especially the Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin ones. Where were the great commercials for HotR.

Also why are there no Happy Meal toys for this movie? I think we have all been so conditioned for this tie in that we are forgetting that the movie is even out. For us, this was also a big push for my kids to go see a movie...they would get a character toy and want to go find out what that character was about. Are there ANY tie ins for this movie at all? Think about the Cat in the Hat. Also almost overpromoted if you asked me. There were cereal boxes with Cat in the Hat promotions, Cat in the Hat candy, Cat in the Hat crackers, Cat in the Hat everything at the grocery store. Mike Meyers was on every interview show, there were articles written about the set, the costumes, the make up and Dr. Suess. Why are there none of these things for HotR?

I think a huge part of the problem with this movie is that people dont know its out. If they did they would take their kids to go see it. I am not sure that some/many of the general non-fanatical Disney fans know that there is a difference between the makers of Finding Nemo and HotR, they are both seen as Disney films. So I would think that HotR would get a little coatail lift from Finding Nemo's success, IF PEOPLE KNEW IT WAS IN THEATERS NOW.

Just curious if anyone else had noticed this,

Jennifer

I haven't seen ONE commercial for this movie. I think they are either A. underpromoting, or B. promoting on networks I don't watch. Either case, I don't know how they expect us to go to a movie we don't know anything about.

I wore a HOTR t-shirt the other day to work, and people at work didn't even know it was in theaters yet. They thought that I had somehow gotten to see it through an annual passholder perk or something. And these people are families with small kids. I think Disney's just intentionally letting this one go, to help prove their point of switching over to 3D. What a shame.

In the UK, HotR doesn't even exist. It'll probably come out soon, but there's been no advertising, not promotions, nothing.

I know of it's existance through this board and virtally nil of its story line.

Handdrawn Disney movies have recently been under a bit of a depression - Treasure Planet was tragic, Atlantis ditto. Lilo & Stitch was moderate and Brother Bear somewhere between the two... the latter two, I might add, I loved :)

I guess times are changing. Smart money on hand drawn coming back to Disney soon though; CG has 'fad' status at the moment and, whilst it shall never disappear (I don't think), the excitement may wear off eventually, just as it has with 'Matrix', um... tributes...

You see, not only will it make financial sense (people like us would flock to a cinema to see the Great Disney Comeback, kids would be rushed in with us) but it would also make good business sense; name me one person who doesn't like the idea of a company with a clear, focused identity. Even if you consider Eisner to be a blockhead or financially motivated to an insane extent, it would be reasonable to assume that should everything go face up, he'll realise the mistake and do a mini u-turn...

I betcha Disney will be dipping its toes back in hand drawn waters within the coming years :)

Rich::

And there are ALL kinds of Shrek 2 promotions on food. General Mills has Shrek's face all over the fronts of some cereal boxes and a special promotion to get a Shrek watch on the rest. There was a special cake mix box with green frosting and gummy worms that had his face all over the front. There was a sugar cookie mix, drinkable yogurt, crackers, etc etc etc etc....

So where were the HotR promotions like this?

Jennifer

There was Shrek body wash for kids in the center of the aisle showcase things, the Shrek 2 video game was being promoted in the electronics department and there were various other odds and ends around.

And then the final straw was the Shrek 2 game was also promoted on the scanner things you walk out when you leave. There was his face bigger than life all over one of them. The same one that had Eddie Murphy and the Haunted Mansion on it the last time I was in there.

I ask again....where was the promotion for Home on the Range?

Jennifer

There was a TON of stuff on the Disney Channel, but I don't remember seeing much else. I am going to have to get some of that Shrek body wash.

HOTR still hant even cracked 40 mil

nor has LADYKILLERS and ALAHAHAHAHMO is up to 18.

SHREK 2 will do more then 40 mil opening weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter