Anyone planning on being in AK on the actual 25th Anniversary?

Maggie The Cat

Mouseketeer
We had plans to be at AK on the Friday and then the Monday, but knowing that the Anniversary and Earth Day are on the Saturday, we switched our park reservations to that day.
I know it will probably be packed and there may be vloggers, but I feel like it's something we shouldn't pass up.

I'm planning for the Monday to be more of our ride-heavy day and Saturday to be more of an eating, shopping, meandering day.

I'm assuming there will be some treats at least. :)

I got a reservation and I’ll try to get there in the afternoon. I planned morning in typhoon lagoon, but who knows…if I see that the parks is packed then I‘lll pass…

Yes, I have a park reservation for AK that day. I have plans to do the Up Close with Rhinos tour and eat lunch at Yak & Yeti. I have been enjoying that park for 25 years and am happy to be there on the anniversary, even if there isn’t a big celebration!

I live 500 miles away now but I recall being there before AK opened in 98 for the CM preview. I still have the commemorative coin thanking us for all we do.

Lots has changed since that day. Some of the things we experienced that day were soon removed, the Discovery River Boats being one of them. Some things have been added, Pandora being the most notable. Unless I wanted to wait in line for hours, the only times I was able to do Flight of Passage was before opening day.

As my home base for a number of years I got to know it pretty well, especially backstage.

No plans to be there but assume it will be wall-to-wall people that day. Disney did a dreadful job planning for future capacity increases to AK. I know the last time we were there on a weekday, you could barely move in certain areas since many of the walkways are way too narrow for the current number of people who go. All we could do was shuffle forward as the crowd in front of us moved. Very annoying and we eventually left to go to a different park. Seems like widening narrow walkways and eliminating areas where everyone has to funnel down to get through would be a huge improvement.

No plans to be there but assume it will be wall-to-wall people that day. Disney did a dreadful job planning for future capacity increases to AK. I know the last time we were there on a weekday, you could barely move in certain areas since many of the walkways are way too narrow for the current number of people who go. All we could do was shuffle forward as the crowd in front of us moved. Very annoying and we eventually left to go to a different park. Seems like widening narrow walkways and eliminating areas where everyone has to funnel down to get through would be a huge improvement.

We've already planned for wall to wall crowds by realizing we probably won't ride much that day.
We will be there a few times this trip. I think it will be fun to experience an anniversary on the actual day. If nothing else, we can witness the mayhem for merchandise. :)

Yes, I have a park reservation for AK that day. I have plans to do the Up Close with Rhinos tour and eat lunch at Yak & Yeti. I have been enjoying that park for 25 years and am happy to be there on the anniversary, even if there isn’t a big celebration!

I will see if we can purchase an ILL for FOP or reserve any rides, but yes, otherwise our only plans are to eat and just be there. It's our favorite park.

I expect it to be very crowded.
Sadly, it almost seems they are doing less for AK 25th, then they did for EPCOT 40th and that wasn't much. Haven't seen any ads for AK 25th.

It's also one of the few days in April it's open until 8! The Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm betting the special merch, etc. will start on Friday.

We didn't move our reservation, but if we hear something exciting is happening, we'll park hop over there after we're done at MK.

I just hope they sell 25th anniversary mugs, not just on that day, but hopefully all year. I still have coffee mugs and pins from 10, 15, and 20 year anniversaries.

Sorry to get off topic here, but as I was going through these threads, it dawned on me to go through some past renditions of park maps & such.. Then I was thinking, Why couldn't they utilize that river that goes around Discovery Island, and make a ride out of it? Doesn't have to be elaborate or anything, maybe just something like the People Mover in MK, but a water taxi version with hooked barges to seat people. The natural scenery alone would be interesting to see, as well as it being able to eat up a lot of the time people would be waiting on other rides.... Just need to build a Queue somewhere off the beaten path for entry/exit...
Perhaps: Either just N' of Pandora & before FOTLK, or possibly to the right side of the main bridge from Oasis to D.I.. It seems there's a path that leads from just b4 the bridge to Dinoland back around towards a bldg. structure that is already down by the river.... Just some food for thought.

Forgive me if this has been brought up already.
Disney-World-Animal-Kingdom-Map-Large-scaled.jpg

Sorry to get off topic here, but as I was going through these threads, it dawned on me to go through some past renditions of park maps & such.. Then I was thinking, Why couldn't they utilize that river that goes around Discovery Island, and make a ride out of it? Doesn't have to be elaborate or anything, maybe just something like the People Mover in MK, but a water taxi version with hooked barges to seat people. The natural scenery alone would be interesting to see, as well as it being able to eat up a lot of the time people would be waiting on other rides.... Just need to build a Queue somewhere off the beaten path for entry/exit...
Perhaps: Either just N' of Pandora & before FOTLK, or possibly to the right side of the main bridge from Oasis to D.I.. It seems there's a path that leads from just b4 the bridge to Dinoland back around towards a bldg. structure that is already down by the river.... Just some food for thought.

Forgive me if this has been brought up already.
Disney-World-Animal-Kingdom-Map-Large-scaled.jpg

When AK opened there was exactly that, a boat ride around Discovery Island. The water-level platforms you see on the map were loading docks. They discontinued them within the first few years. I don’t know why but always thought it was because they couldn’t handle the number of guests needed. We never rode because the lines were always too long.

When AK opened there was exactly that, a boat ride around Discovery Island. The water-level platforms you see on the map were loading docks. They discontinued them within the first few years. I don’t know why but always thought it was because they couldn’t handle the number of guests needed. We never rode because the lines were always too long.
Wow, I did not know that. Good intel there .TY Odd though that they wouldn't reconsider reopening or re theming it to help lighten the load on some of the other rides. FOP to be one.

On my earlier post on this thread I mentioned the Discovery River boats. I rode them before they opened to the public. They were closed about a year later because people thought it was a ride and were ticked off because they didn't see any animals. It was just a shuttle. The boats are used elsewhere on property when needed.

Would love to be there. That’s also our 25th wedding anniversary. Not planned that way though. Have to spend it with in-laws for FIL’s 90th birthday, because they always throw a hissy fit if we don’t visit🙄

Would love to be there. That’s also our 25th wedding anniversary. Not planned that way though. Have to spend it with in-laws for FIL’s 90th birthday, because they always throw a hissy fit if we don’t visit🙄
Sorry you won't be able to be there, but Laffin @ Hissy Fit...:teeth:

We won't be there, but DD and I were there for the soft opening for resort guests in 1998.
Very nice, not crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter