Anyone renew their Sirius XM radio subscription lately?

My partner got so sick of the game about calling and threatening to cancel unless they offered him the $5.99 a month, he finally just canceled completely. Decided he didn’t like their business practices. Do you think anyone pays the $13.99 a month?
I have run into people that don't know a thing about asking for a lower rate and they just pay the 'list price' every month.

I bought a lifetime subscription in 2003-ish timeframe for $400. Paid to transfer from a couple of cars......right now it is in my wifes car and I use the app. I think it will just die and be available via streaming at some point.

My partner got so sick of the game about calling and threatening to cancel unless they offered him the $5.99 a month, he finally just canceled completely. Decided he didn’t like their business practices. Do you think anyone pays the $13.99 a month?
I can relate. We had Sirius on two of our cars; one that DW had been driving regularly and played the renewal game with, the other came with a subscription when we bought the car. It was costing us a fortune when the special deals expired and we weren't using it - so we decided to cancel. Well, that's not as easy as it sounds - you can sign up without talking to a human but you can only cancel by calling and talking to a human during their business hours. They of course want to offer you a special deal to not cancel and give you the hard sell. There should be a law that you should be able to cancel a subscription service as easy as it is to start it. I know Sirius is not the only company that does this but they are among the worst - not a great club to belong to.

I've definitely come across people who are paying the full price and had no idea they could negotiate. I'm always baffled at that. I then usually ask them if they just pay the going rate for their internet, cable TV (back when most people still had cable TV as opposed to streaming), etc.

I'm sure quite a few people do, they get the reduced rate for a certain time period and then forget to call back. Also believe it or not there are people who have never heard of the DisBoards and don't realize there are deals to be had :D
A few years back I was talking to someone and he said he hated paying so much for Sirius/XM. I asked him how much he was paying, think it was around $18 a month. His jaw hit the floor when I told him I was only paying $5.99. He called the next day and was very thankful.

I'm sure quite a few people do, they get the reduced rate for a certain time period and then forget to call back. Also believe it or not there are people who have never heard of the DisBoards and don't realize there are deals to be had :D
A few years back I was talking to someone and he said he hated paying so much for Sirius/XM. I asked him how much he was paying, think it was around $18 a month. His jaw hit the floor when I told him I was only paying $5.99. He called the next day and was very thankful.
There are folks who haven't heard of the DISBoards? Shirley, you jest...

Well, that's not as easy as it sounds - you can sign up without talking to a human but you can only cancel by calling and talking to a human during their business hours. They of course want to offer you a special deal to not cancel and give you the hard sell. There should be a law that you should be able to cancel a subscription service as easy as it is to start it. I know Sirius is not the only company that does this but they are among the worst - not a great club to belong to.
I canceled a radio via the chat a few months ago. I just kept typing "Cancel!" and finally the bot/person gave up and canceled it.

We just got a 'We miss you, come back mailer today. The offer is $6 for 12 months. I am thinking of rejoining.

If you hold out a little longer, you might get an even better deal. I cancelled the service on my car back in January because I got a new (to me) car and passed my car over to my daughter to use. She subscribes to Spotify and didn't have any interest in Sirius. Within a few weeks I got the $6/12 month postcards every few weeks. When I didn't respond to those, I got a $5/24 month postcard.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone about their business practices. I cancelled by chat by retyping "I want to cancel" each time they made an offer. 10 times!! My feeling is if they have these "great offers" why are they trying to charge 16.99/month. For us, it was something not worth the hassle of ever dealing with Sirius again! Really is a shame.

I agree with everyone about their business practices. I cancelled by chat by retyping "I want to cancel" each time they made an offer. 10 times!! My feeling is if they have these "great offers" why are they trying to charge 16.99/month. For us, it was something not worth the hassle of ever dealing with Sirius again! Really is a shame.

I've actually found it more effective to talk to a person. When they answer the call I tell them that I want to cancel because the renewal price is way too high for my budget. Then I immediately tell them that if they can match or beat the current deal that I have (the $5/month for 12 months), then I'll renew. If not, please cancel it. That's all it takes. I'm usually finished with the negotiation portion of the call within 1 minute. Then it takes a few minutes to confirm the payment information. I did use the Chat feature when I cancelled the service in my old car back in January. I just started the conversation by saying that the car wasn't being used anymore (which was a bit of a lie but I knew if they were aware that someone would be using the car daily, they'd continue to try and sell me a subscription) -- it would be a spare car so I did not want any service on it. They made one offer--telling me I could keep the $5/month subscription and just use the streaming services. I said I already had the streaming service and did not want anything on this car and if it was going to so difficult to cancel on this car, I'd also like to cancel our other 2 cars and we'd just use Spotify. That's all it took. Subscription cancelled on that car.

I do the 1 minute call / negotiation described above, with success each year for about 7 years. For each of two cars. However, I just learned if you have cars that support it…. Can get one subscription, then use the app on each car; sharing the subscription for both cars. Caveat: you better have unlimited wireless data!

I do the 1 minute call / negotiation described above, with success each year for about 7 years. For each of two cars. However, I just learned if you have cars that support it…. Can get one subscription, then use the app on each car; sharing the subscription for both cars. Caveat: you better have unlimited wireless data!
how do you do that?

Exactly. We canceled one car and I just use the app on my phone through Bluetooth. If alone in the car on a long drive, it's a pain to change channels, but overall cheaper than having two plans.

I've been doing the chat to cancel every year to get the $5-$6 rate for 12 months. Last week they offered $7 permanent. I went for it, just to avoid the hassle next year.

I can relate. We had Sirius on two of our cars; one that DW had been driving regularly and played the renewal game with, the other came with a subscription when we bought the car. It was costing us a fortune when the special deals expired and we weren't using it - so we decided to cancel. Well, that's not as easy as it sounds - you can sign up without talking to a human but you can only cancel by calling and talking to a human during their business hours. They of course want to offer you a special deal to not cancel and give you the hard sell. There should be a law that you should be able to cancel a subscription service as easy as it is to start it. I know Sirius is not the only company that does this but they are among the worst - not a great club to belong to.

You can actually use the Chat option online to cancel, I just did it several months back. They keep coming back with other offers, but they eventually let you cancel.

Say that you have one account tied to a VIN. It gets you internet service as well. Can then use that on the app. Can then use the app on another car via products such as Apple car play.
thanks
dh's car has car play. he's not techie, if it was me I'd definitely do it that ay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter