Anyone seen this thread about Crash & Brokeback?

I am disgusted that some Academy members did not watch Brokeback Mountain. If they are going to accept the responsibility to vote on the nominees, then they have a responsibility to watch ALL nominated films so as to make an informed voting decision.

LukenDC said:
I am disgusted that some Academy members did not watch Brokeback Mountain. If they are going to accept the responsibility to vote on the nominees, then they have a responsibility to watch ALL nominated films so as to make an informed voting decision.
Agreed. They are provided with screening copies of everything they vote on (their own branch (e.g., directing) plus all the films that everyone votes on). For someone like Tony Curtis to say he would not watch Brokeback Mountain (when it's his job as a voting academy member) is just unprofessional, tacky AND homophobic. Do Academy members sign something or somehow indicate they've seen all the films??

I was surprised that Tony Curtis of all people would refuse to watch Brokeback Mountain. Jamie Lee Curtis is the godmother of Jake Gyllenhaal.

LukenDC said:
I was surprised that Tony Curtis of all people would refuse to watch Brokeback Mountain. Jamie Lee Curtis is the godmother of Jake Gyllenhaal.

Tony Curtis? Yeah, he's so butch he wears silk scarves, Yoko sunglasses and more brush than a Grandma.

RickinNYC said:
Tony Curtis? Yeah, he's so butch he wears silk scarves, Yoko sunglasses and more brush than a Grandma.

And he also dressed in drag in Some Like it Hot ... not to mention Sparticus. ;)

majortom said:
I am curious, did you see all five nominees? Did you actually feel that Brokeback Mountain was the best of them? I saw all five. I think that Brokeback Mountain was an important film, but I do not think it was better than Crash.

/carmi

Hi, Tom, for many of the reasons outlined by Stephen King in his most recent articile on the topic, I thought Brokeback was a much, much better film than Crash. And, yes, I saw all five films , unlike many members of the Academy who freely admitted they were never going to see Brokback but were going to vote for another film anyway.

Here are my favorites from top to bottom (so to speak - yikes):

Capote
Brokeback Mountain
Good Night and Good Luck
Munich
Crash

Because it's hard for me to separate Hoffman's stunning portrayal of Truman from the film itself I might actually have liked Brokeback better and I am open to the argumnet that fifty years from now Good Night and Good Luck will be a classic while all the others are almost forgotten. I had a vested issue in liking Crash - my family is multiracial - but its treament of race relations was so thin I was disillusioned and bored halfway through. Frankly, I can't believe it was nominated and I know homophobia was the reason it won.

RickinNYC said:

I kept waiting for YEARS for him to come out... my gaydar is not working, guess I'm gonna have to ask for a refund.

Not to change the topic here, but did anyone else read the point/counter point type of article in USAToday today? (3/9)

It was debating gay adoption, the last page of the first section.

If it we not so sad, it would have been comical.

"I am curious, did you see all five nominees? Did you actually feel that Brokeback Mountain was the best of them? I saw all five. I think that Brokeback Mountain was an important film, but I do not think it was better than Crash."

It really doesn't matter what movie I think was the best. Like I said, that is a subjective question. The facts speak for themselves (see the article I posted). A number of members of the academy said they would not see or vote for Brokeback Mountain because of the subject matter, and in any other year a movie with the awards and critical acclaim that Brokeback Mountain had (one of the most honored films of all time) would have won best picture. And a movie like Crash, with it's poor showing in other awards (including not even being nominated for the Golden Globes), and it's very mixed reviews and poor box office, would not have had a chance of winning.

This made me realize something that I have suspected for a long time, that the Academy Awards mean absolutely NOTHING. The awards are empty. And this has nothing to do with which picture won or lost. People can actually vote for Best Picture without seeing a single nominated film, or vote against a film for political reasons. How does that prove the merits of a film? I have not really been into the Academy Awards the past few years, but I don't think I will be watching them anymore. Like I said, they don't mean anything.

Hi, Folks :wave2:

I'm new to the DIS boards, was clicking around and stumbled on the link given at the beginning of this post. I'm blown away by statements made by some on that thread.

I'm straight, married to a great guy, who I was introduced to by my gay best friend in the early '90s (Chris Bunch, I know you loved Disney as much as we do...you here???). DH and I love Disney, and I love to chat with other Disneyfanatics.

Y'all seem like a really nice group of folks, and I can't wait to exchange lots of tips and trip reports :)

Some folk have asked after the article. Here it is:

Analyzing Oscar

Stephen King rates the Academy Awards ceremony -- and explains how he
knew all along that ''Crash'' would score the top prize by Stephen
King

http://www.StephenKing.com/

BUCKLE UP FOR SAFETY Unfortunately for ''Brokeback,'' ''Crash'' is
the sort of movie Academy members eat up, says King

I know what you're thinking: You need another column on this year's
Oscars, especially at this late date, about as much as Dick Cheney
needs a few more jokes about hunting quail in Texas. But bear with
me; this is, after all, the only Oscar postmortem you'll read from a
guy who put The Devil's Rejects on his 2005 Ten Best List. Besides,
this year I actually picked most of the big winners, although I admit
there were some surprises - a rap crew wins for Best Song? Slap my
tail and call me stinky. I don't know if Academy voters were trying
to show their kids (make that grandkids) that they're still hep (make
that hip), but Three 6 Mafia's performance - and exuberant
acceptance - lit up the evening. And the ''clean'' version went over
pretty well; my elderly ears detected only a single ABC bleep.

I thought Jon Stewart was fine. The negative reviews of his
performance suggested to me that there have been so many hosting
changes in the last 10 or 15 years that it's hard to get comfortable
with any new face. More to the point, hosting the Academy Awards is a
pretty damned thankless job. It's almost like being a janitor in a
tuxedo - you bring on the talent with a joke and a wave, then
sweep 'em out again after they've made their little speeches and torn
open their little envelopes. I thought Stewart was sweeter-natured
than Chris Rock, and let's face it: The gay-cowboy montage was a hoot.

What I liked best about this year's show was that the cumbersome,
usually unfunny repartee between presenters was almost completely
gone. Good! Good! As for the hosting part, it may be that the job is
as dispensable as those tiresome jokes between presenters. If the
Academy can't settle Jon Stewart in for a nice long cozy run - and
certainly he's smart enough and talented enough to grow into the job
and make it his own - I'd love to see the show's producers test-drive
the No-Host Option. If it did nothing else, it might cut the still-
too-long show down to three hours.

But back to why I did so well with my picks this year: I had
Brokeback Mountain shut out of every major category except for the
screenplay adaptation, which I figured they had to give to Larry
McMurtry (they did - and he was ballsy enough to show up in jeans).
There's been a fair amount of talk about Brokeback being a
breakthrough, but that's nonsense. A check of Brokeback parodies on
Google should convince anyone with half a brain that the American pop
culture is intent on passing this passionate, well-meant, and well-
made movie like a kidney stone. And how does the American pop culture
pass what it cannot stand? Easy. It laughs that s--- right out of its
system.

You can say Hollywood has been here before, awarding gold to Midnight
Cowboy in 1970, but that's also bull - Midnight Cowboy is a movie
about a make-believe cowpoke (Jon Voight) who hustles to keep himself
and his ailing buddy (Dustin Hoffman) from starving. The movie's
major moment of catharsis comes when Joe Buck (Voight) beats a
harmless homosexual half to death. Cowboy is a well-made male weepie
about friendship. As such, it was rewarded with a Best Picture Oscar.
Brokeback is about enduring love and fierce sexual attraction between
two men. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, at bottom
as conservative as the current U.S. House of Representatives, gave
Ang Lee one Oscar (which surprised me), the writing team of McMurtry
and Diana Ossana another...and with those bones thrown, felt free to
move on.

To Crash, of course.

Crash was the perfect alternative, and - ahem - I had it picked for
Best Picture the whole way. It's the sort of flick the Hollywood
establishment loves best and will always embrace, if given the
chance, one where the complexities are all on the surface; its issues
should come stamped GOOD FOR 2 SLICES OF PIZZA AFTER THE MOVIE (OR) 1
COCKTAIL PARTY. Crash says we have problems. Crash says we have
troubles. It says this modern life of ours is certainly a pain in the
***, especially this modern urban life. People keep ''crashing'' into
each other (heavy symbolism at work, better wear a hard hat). But in
the end - this is the part Academy voters like best - we can all get
along if we rilly, rilly TRY!!! You almost expect to hear ''Why Can't
We Be Friends?'' over the closing credits.

And you know, until I read that last paragraph over, I didn't realize
how bitter I've become about this process. Because I liked Crash. I
did. I happen to believe we can get along if we really try, that
coincidences do happen from time to time in the great Manhattan
Transfer of city life, and people sometimes do change. It's a valid
point of view, a decent theme, and Paul Haggis made the most of it.
But was it the best film of the year? Good God, no. Brokeback was
better. So were Capote and The Squid and the Whale, for that matter.

But let's let it go, okay? The lights are off in the Kodak Theatre
for another year. The set has been struck. The Academy sent the same
soothing message it almost always sends: Everything's all right,
everything's okay, the right movie won - the good movie, not the gay
movie. Go to sleep, and sleep tight. Next year we'll do it all again.

donald...really said:
It really doesn't matter what movie I think was the best.

It does matter. If you tell me that you have seen all 5 and you feel that Brokeback Mountain was the best picture of 2005, then I am happy to discuss statistics with you. If you tell me that you have not seen at least these two being discussed, then I am much less interested in hearing you quote statistics.

The author you quote misses one critical point - Crash is an actor's movie. Crash did well in the SAG awards. The actors branch is the largest in the Academy.

This made me realize something that I have suspected for a long time, that the Academy Awards mean absolutely NOTHING.

This is news how? :) These awards are industry people patting ourselves on our backs. Up until recently, one did not have to even sign one's own ballot stating that one had voted it oneself.

/carmi

Kevin&Randall said:
Wow.

I have a headache and only got through about 3 pages of that thread. I have never gone into the "community" boards, and thinking I won't again any time soon. I'm perfectly happy with this community.

Randall

:rainbow:

I'm a straight person & I wandered over here because I miss reading Rick's threads.

Please come over to the community board! Most of us aren't like some of the posters on that thread. I wanted to post on that thread, but it just upset me so much I knew it wouldn't make sense. The purpose of the thread, the tone of many of the posts, just made me cry. I simply refuse to believe that one's sexual orientation makes one "immoral", "evil" or anything other than human. I don't understand any other point of view.

I hope I'm making sense. If you choose not to visit the community board I understand. But I hope you do, because maybe someday (we can all hope) these kind of posts will cease to exist.

Hey Missy -- I'm one who monitors both threads (although to be perfectly honest, there's only the occasional thing on the CB that grabs my attention). Glad to see that you're coming over here as well.

Missy1961 said:
Please come over to the community board! Most of us aren't like some of the posters on that thread. I wanted to post on that thread, but it just upset me so much I knew it wouldn't make sense. QUOTE]

I SO agree with you!! I read through some of it and I couldnt even come up with a logical reply to some of the garbage. But then I feel guilty :guilty: , because while I know that it is real easy for me to close the thread and go on with my life, there are people who have to deal with this type of ignorance every day and it just isnt right. :confused3

Ronda93 said:
Yeah, spoon seems a little manic in her writing. I agree it's a movie. Move on. Speaking of odd writing styles, I haven't seen mrFDNY lately.
What did that mean?how did i get brought into this?Was that a flame for me and what did i do to deserve that?

staci said:
Missy1961 said:
Please come over to the community board! Most of us aren't like some of the posters on that thread. I wanted to post on that thread, but it just upset me so much I knew it wouldn't make sense. QUOTE]

I SO agree with you!! I read through some of it and I couldnt even come up with a logical reply to some of the garbage. But then I feel guilty :guilty: , because while I know that it is real easy for me to close the thread and go on with my life, there are people who have to deal with this type of ignorance every day and it just isnt right. :confused3

That's it! That's exactly how I felt! Thanks for putting it into words for me.

Just because I don't condone the gay/lesbian lifestyle does not make my opinion "garbage" or mean that I am "ignorant." We all have the right to express our opinions, and should be able to do so without resorting to name-calling. I don't feel hatred towards gay/lesbian people. In fact I used to work with a young man who is gay and he is one of the sweetest people I know. We got along great, and I still see him from time to time and we always stop and talk. I love him as a person, but don't condone his lifestyle. That doesn't make me a bad person. I think the gay/lesbian lifestyle is wrong, and I know there are many others here who feel the same way.

Chattyaholic said:
I think the gay/lesbian lifestyle is wrong, and I know there are many others here who feel the same way.

How sad for you. If your view is based on religious teachings, I hope that for a moment you will consider the many "truths" that religion has embraced only to be proven wrong or to withdraw them in shame. Slavery, flat earth, witch hysteria, anti-Semitism, and on and on. Anti-gay sentiment strikes at the core of a gay or lesbian person and is intensely hurtful. There is nothing right or loving about causing someone such rejection and emotional pain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter