Anyone stockpiling food?

For us it was hot food. The first few days we were fine with fruit & crudite platters and sandwiches and such. But it was nearly winter and we wanted warm food. When the town down from us got their power back before us we started driving out to buy take-out just for food that was hot! I think one of the first things we did when we got power back was make several batches of homemade soup. :)

My parents and grandparents always had gas stoves. I remember times when power would be out but they’d still be able to cook. Sure the flint starter wouldn’t work but a match would. I now live in what was my grandparents’ first house and am glad for the gas stove, water heater, and heating system. (Our old houses all have gas wall heaters and window ACs).

NYC has just confirmed it's first officially confirmed case of CoronaVirus. I'm going to need a lot more chocolate & Diet Coke. :(

and we've had our 2nd death. there's been some talk on the local news about folks taking care during upcoming spring breaks (seems like half our college population goes home to the west side while the other half comes home to the east or adjacent states).

I just came back from a local Trader Joe's. They weren't exactly wiped out, but there were some items that looked like they were almost cleaned out, like dry pasta and jarred pasta sauces. They weren't completely sold out, but it certainly looked like they sold a lot of them. I'm not really worried about food shortages since there is going to be food for sale. However, it seems pretty clear that a lot of people are stocking up on items that may allow them to avoid going out to eat.

This kind of reminds me of the time I was in Florida on vacation hoping that I could avoid a hurricane. I had several hotel reservations automatically cancelled and I asked to check in early at a hotel in Miami. It was a studio room with a kitchen, refrigerator, and stove. And then I stocked up just in case. A friend clerk at Publix suggested lots of salty junk food as a way to feel comfortable.

There's a grocery store and a liqour store on the 1st floor of my apartment building. No need to stockpile anything.

A close and convenient location is not necessarily going to be an advantage if you’re asked to self-quarantine for a two week period, unless they deliver, or you have neighbours you can call to drop off food/liquor to your door.

Which makes me think, if you are self-quarantined in an apartment building, are you even allowed/supposed to open your door to a common hallway? :confused3

I've picked up a few extras here and there but nothing major. I went to Costco on Saturday for our usual every two week/once a month necessities and noticed that they were running low on TP and paper towels. I bought 2 30 packs of TP. I'm not going without!

I've picked up a few extras here and there but nothing major. I went to Costco on Saturday for our usual every two week/once a month necessities and noticed that they were running low on TP and paper towels. I bought 2 30 packs of TP. I'm not going without!
Over the weekend the man called from a Target's and asked if we needed any paper products. I took a look and said yes for TP, absolutely no for towels.
So what did he bring back???

Yeah well I'm going to buy TP today...:lmao:.

We went to Sam's Club in Frederick, MD (about an hour way from DC/Baltimore) yesterday. I didn't really notice much out of the ordinary except the bottled water stock looked low. We did add a few additional items (huge bag of frozen broccoli, case of canned green beans, case of Rotel, Lysol wipes, queso and salsa, and a case of wet cat food) and did our usual purchases of TP, PT, vitamins, razors, frozen chicken breasts and tenderloins, 5lbs of ground turkey, pack of pork chops, etc.)

After Sam's we went to our regular grocery store and got our regular food for the week, plus 4-12 packs of soda since they were on sale. But they were out of my low-carb milk! I think it was just a coincidence and not related to the virus. lol

We ended up spending $450 yesterday between the two! o_O

Oh yea...there are only 2 of us!

No. We have enough non-perishables to last at least a month. Plus the freezer has plenty of meats, seafood, veggies, etc. We could live without fresh milk and eggs, etc. for a while.

We needed Clorox wipes this weekend and I did notice that the selection was a bit sparse at the supermarket. I didn't check the paper goods or OTC medicine aisles.

I think everyone's definition of "stockpiling" is different. I don't have massive amount of food over here. I have been buying them slowly over the last couple of weeks rather than getting it all at once. I'll keep buying a few extra of what we need as time goes by. **I haven't bought a single item that we don't normally eat, and it's all stuff that won't expire for months. ** If this whole thing fizzles out and we don't need it then Great, we'll just slowly work through what I have.

Yes there's a run on stuff now. But it will get re-stocked in a few days. If/when we start getting lots more cases of illness, there will be a 2nd group who will start to prepare and empty the shelves. Those shelves will be re-stocked. If they announce a community quarantine situation there will be 3rd and final big rush to the stores, and the shelves may not be re-stocked quite as quickly if employees are being told to stay home. (Plus, if we're under quarantine the point is to not go out to places like the store right?) The CDC is telling us to prepare now. Maybe part of the reason they're saying that is because they know if some of us will do it now then shelves can be re-stocked and there will be product there for those who will wait until the last minute.

Last edited:
I think everyone definition of "stockpiling" is different. I don't have massive amount of food over here. I have been buying them slowly over the last couple of weeks rather than getting it all at once. I'll keep buying a few extra of what we need as time goes by. I haven't bought a single item that we don't normally eat. If this whole thing fizzles out and we don't need it then Great, we'll just slowly work through what I have.

Yes there's a run on stuff now. But it will get re-stocked in a few days. If/when we start getting lots more cases of illness here there will be a 2nd group who will start to prepare and empty the shelves. Those shelves will be re-stocked. If they announce a community quarantine situation there will be 3rd and final big rush to the stores, and the shelves may not be re-stocked quite as quickly if employees are being told to stay home. The CDC is telling us to prepare now. Maybe partially because they know if we do it now then shelves can be re-stocked and there will be stock there for those who will wait until the last minute.
I think people are going to find out just how much of our products (not food) come from China once shelves at Walmart/Target etc are empty.

I'm not planning on a big stockpile, we have plenty of canned/frozen stuff for a couple of weeks already. Meals might get interesting towards the end but we won't starve. I did, however, send DH a text saying we need to fill up the propane tanks so we could use the grill and fryer if necessary. We have a well on our property so if worse comes to worse, we can boil water from that.

I will stock up on cold meds/motrin/make sure our first aid kit is sufficient. That's always been my concern for scares like this - what if you get injured or sick with something else? The hospital/emergency room is the last place you are going to want to go.

We go regular grocery/staples shopping every two weeks...places like Target, Costco, Trader Joe's, traditional grocery store, etc. That day happened to be yesterday for us. We started at Target, where I needed a jug of bleach and some Kleenex. The bleach was completely wiped out, as were many other cleaning supplies. The shelves in that whole area were practically bare, unless you wanted furniture polish! :rotfl2: Paper goods were also getting dangerously low, but I was able to buy one of the last 4-packs of Kleenex.

Costco was crazy. We got there around 11 am and the store was packed. Lots of carts were filled with toilet paper and water. Those supplies were nearly out. The store had actually hit Def-con Spam level, as there were only 8 cans of it left. One guy had at least 30 cans of Kirkland canned chicken in his cart. I mean, maybe he was planning a family reunion and chicken salad sandwiches were on the menu for lunch...or maybe not. At least one or two people were walking around the store with masks on.

Trader Joe's and our regular grocery store were definitely busier and, as a previous poster stated, it seemed like people were buying more of the quick meal stuff...pasta, sauces, etc. One gentleman walked down the frozen food aisle at TJ's and just seemed to be picking up one of each different entree. Perhaps that was just his regular way to shop, I'm not sure. I didn't stop to ask, but I had never seen anybody do that before, so it was interesting to watch.

When I finished our grocery shopping, I did take a few minutes to walk around Barnes and Noble. It seemed quieter than usual for a Sunday afternoon. Great news though!!! They still had tons of books, puzzles, and magazines, so nobody must be worried about dying of boredom during their quarantine period yet! Public service announcement: Be sure to stop by your local bookstore or library and stock up on "paper products" before they sell out. You are going to need something to do while eating all of those snacks you stocked up on.

Now, in response to the initial discussion, we typically have a good supply of food and other necessities on hand. Our once every two week shopping trips are generally used to pick up fresh items and replenish what we are getting low on. We could go for quite awhile piecing together meals from our pantry and freezer without heading to the store. However, there was a part of me, while I was watching stocks of certain items drop, that wondered if I should be picking up extra items as well, not because I wanted to stock pile, but what if I needed canned chicken in two weeks, but everyone had bought it all up? (Spoiler alert: I left the canned chicken on the shelf.) I did pick up extra of certain items like bar soap, laundry detergent, etc. I figure that if I get that stuff now, I will need fewer trips out later, plus my shopping trips will hopefully be more targeted in-and-out type affairs where there will be limited contact with people and crowds. My shopping experience left me wanting to stock up just so I could avoid a repeat of what I went through yesterday just trying to do my regular shopping. I only sense this getting worse in the near future as cases start popping up in different states and more people head to the stores, "just in case." At some point the hype will die down and people will go back to shopping normally, but I don't think we have hit the peak yet.

I think people are going to find out just how much of our products (not food) come from China once shelves at Walmart/Target etc are empty.

The bottle of name brand Advil I have says "active ingredient from China." That's the case with a LOT of medicines, and likely why you see OTC meds flying off the shelves.

Just wondering - how do you know your Meds aren’t made in China?

The company that produces the medicine does not own any manufacturing facilities in China. They have three manufacturing facilities - two in California and one in Oregon.

it is possible they get ingredients from China though. I’ll just have to hope there are no disruptions to my infusion schedule, it’s not something I can stock up on

Last edited:
The bottle of name brand Advil I have says "active ingredient from China." That's the case with a LOT of medicines, and likely why you see OTC meds flying off the shelves.

I did notice when I went to the store yesterday, there was no store brand ibuprofen left and not a lot of name brand. Same with Prilosec.

No more than usual, the fridge, regular freezer, and pantry are pretty full, but we have 5-7 people living at our house, so it goes fast. I was just at Costco on Saturday, so we are a little extra stocked up on toilet paper and junk food LOL
My kids are into Carnation Breakfast essentials and the adults drink Premier Protein drinks, I have a good supply of those, so I think we would have a way to get in calories
I also bought some extra pasta sauce and pasta because it was BOGO at Publix. I might stock up a little more on some pantry staples (peanut butter, tuna, beans) and meat/veggies/fruit (our stand alone freezer is pretty bare) my next shopping trip (I shop every weekend).
I'm pretty sure even with 7 people, we could get through 2 weeks from today.
I won't buy stuff that we wouldn't eat in the next few months anyhow, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter