• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone up? Harry & Meghan Royal Wedding Watch thread

And that’s part of the reason the taxpayers do pay.

I have wondered he same thing, I know all the drama with the dad and step siblings but seriously no Aunty etc

See my post above basically anyone before her Toronto life was not there. She also Instagramed about a niece or nephew I believe is a lawyer positively back in 2014. they were also not there. So it’s incorrect to say she hasn’t had decades long contact with her family; she has.

I have wondered he same thing, I know all the drama with the dad and step siblings but seriously no Aunty etc

That is what I was wondering too. I haven't been following anything that has been going on but I have heard of all the drama with her dad's side of the family. I didn't know if she was close to her mom's side since she was there alone since i hadn't really heard anything about them. I guess she isn't and I completely understand.

So after reading many things online I just have some questions about this whole wedding. What is the connection with Oprah in the Clooney’s?
Also what bothers me is that her mother is the only person from her background and past that was there. I understand she’s having family issues right now but there’s no godparent, Old family friends, old neighbors, mentors from her past life? It says a lot about a person if they have no childhood friends that speak to them anymore
It seems the only people that were invited besides her mother were her Hollywood friends from her show ( nobody in her life before Suits phase). Or A-list celebrities tennis stars Oprah

I read an interesting article online at how she basically reinvented herself and burned her bridges and is trying to erase her past. Once she moved to Toronto she re-branded herself. At this point I am a bit skeptical. it’s like she won the lottery. She won the role of a lifetime. I’m pretty sure she loves Harry, who wouldn’t love any man that would give her this lifestyle.

Or maybe she just isn't close to those people anymore. I moved away from where I grew up, I do not have any relationships with childhood friends, at least not the kind where I would invite them overseas to my wedding.
Past life is just that, a past life, maybe she is focusing on her current here and now.

See my post above basically anyone before her Toronto life was not there. She also Instagramed about a niece or nephew I believe is a lawyer positively back in 2014. they were also not there. So it’s incorrect to say she hasn’t had decades long contact with her family; she has.

Yeah, I mean, even if you accept that her dad and his entire side of the family were bad news she had cut off contact with years before. There is no one else on her mother’s side? Even that aren’t technically relatives but who fill that role?
For my kids who are growing up away from much of their extended family (although still close to several of them by visits and Skype) we have “Aunties” who are just my best friends, but who go to their dance recitals etc. is her mother really all alone except her daughter? And if so do you think she is moving to London?

I have to think the guest list, on her side, was up to her. I'm sure she had friends there, but they weren't allowed to sit with her mother....the quire is for family (at least that is what I've been told). I'm pretty sure she has made a new life for herself. She seems to have been a driven young lady...even the girls she worked with at Deal or No Deal said she was friendly, to a point, but didn't get involved in the social life with them..that she was a bit standoffish. Seems she was very focused on her career, and DoND was merely a stepping stone, and she wasn't there to make friends. Kind of sad, but looking at her family, I can almost understand her attitude.
I can't begin to imagine the rules and regulations she is going to have to live with going forward! It's a good thing she likes to be in the public eye....but I have to wonder if that's going to get old, fast. It's one thing to be able to decide when you want to be 'on', a whole different story to have to be 'on' at all times, even during times that most would feel to be private times! Nope, I can't imagine.

My DH has absolutely nobody on his side of the family other than his mother (who we do not speak to anymore), his brother (who has estranged himself from the family but my Dh never had any type of close relationship with) and an aunt/uncle.

I totally get Meghan.
I also have a very small family. I don't talk to anyone from my bio mother's family, my dad wasn't close to any of his family, so now that he's gone I'm left with my step mother and her family (and they are a very small group).

**Not complaining. They are amazing people and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

The first thing I said when I turned the TV on Saturday morning is that her hair looked a mess. I was glad to see others were saying the same. Even though it appeared disheveled, it was true to her style which I assume is the look she was going for, so I respect that. It also easily transitioned to her nighttime hairstyle where there were front strands hanging out. I almost wonder if they didn't even change her hair style for the night and she simply just had the front strands tucked behind her ears during the ceremony. Maybe the she was planning on wearing the strands out all along and it didn't look right when everything was on her head? Who knows. I didn't love the middle part with the veil and tiara either, but that is how she always wears her part.

They were talking about it on the radio this morning and said she was 15 minutes late for the ceremony. Anyone hear why this was? Apparently this is a huge no no and I even remember hearing different media entities say you could set your watch by the timeliness of the Royal Family, so there must have been something major happening for her to be late. Have to wonder if its related to the hair!

The first thing I said when I turned the TV on Saturday morning is that her hair looked a mess. I was glad to see others were saying the same. Even though it appeared disheveled, it was true to her style which I assume is the look she was going for, so I respect that. It also easily transitioned to her nighttime hairstyle where there were front strands hanging out. I almost wonder if they didn't even change her hair style for the night and she simply just had the front strands tucked behind her ears during the ceremony. Maybe the she was planning on wearing the strands out all along and it didn't look right when everything was on her head? Who knows. I didn't love the middle part with the veil and tiara either, but that is how she always wears her part.

They were talking about it on the radio this morning and said she was 15 minutes late for the ceremony. Anyone hear why this was? Apparently this is a huge no no and I even remember hearing different media entities say you could set your watch by the timeliness of the Royal Family, so there must have been something major happening for her to be late. Have to wonder if its related to the hair!

When I was watching at Saturday morning, they commented that she was 4 seconds late. :confused3

Thought the dress was gorgeous, but not one many brides would think was "enough", as far as embellishment goes. For most brides the wedding gown is one of less than a handful of times they will go all out flashy and formal. If you're becoming part of the royal family and you've been a Hollywood actress you get several bites at the formal and flashy wardrobe apple.

Regarding royal wedding gowns, I thought princess Diana's dress was one of the ugliest wedding dresses I've ever seen. It was gaudy, with those huge selves. It looked like it was wearing her and not the other way around. The fabric was awful and all wrinkled. No wonder the style didn't become a trend -remember Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy's gown? It seemed that for a while everyone wanted to marry in a gown similar to hers, even though few could pull it off. Not so with Diana's gown, and I think that was it for the designers.

Kate's dress was gorgeous. Now, to me, that what elegance and class looks like. Not too little, not too much. Just perfect.

I didn't like Meghan's s dress at all. I get that she was going for simplicity, but the dress didn't even fit! I think something similar to this would have looked gorgeous on her:

simple-elegant-wedding-dress-for-older-bride-elegant-wedding-dresses-for-older-brides-1-470-x-789.jpg

Now, can someone please explain to me why did the dress cost hundreds of thousands of dollars? I can understand if it is embellished with crystals or pearls, but this dress was nothing but fabric. Why so expensive?

I though the tiara was gorgeous, and Meghan looked radiant. She was a beautiful bride.

This is a pretty dress but I think it's common to have sleeves. I did at first think Meghan's dress too simple but I ended up really liking it, it's simplicity suited her and it was very elegant. I do agree with others about her hair. Do also agree somewhat with what you said about Diana's, I thought hers would have been beautiful had it been toned down, smaller sleeves, less material. It was for me just too much, BUT it was definitely a princess dress. As far as Kate's gown, I thought it ok, didn't care for the lace, found it slightly aging on her. But to each his own! I think Meghan's gown's material itself very rich looking and gorgeous.

Last edited:
I disagree. That dress was never in style. And fabric which creases so easily never looks good.
It was silk taffeta and that fabric is pretty much expected to look like a used paper bag. Not disagreeing it wasn't a good look, just that it didn't come as any surprise to the designer or the bride.
That is what I was wondering too. I haven't been following anything that has been going on but I have heard of all the drama with her dad's side of the family. I didn't know if she was close to her mom's side since she was there alone since i hadn't really heard anything about them. I guess she isn't and I completely understand.

Or maybe she just isn't close to those people anymore. I moved away from where I grew up, I do not have any relationships with childhood friends, at least not the kind where I would invite them overseas to my wedding.
Past life is just that, a past life, maybe she is focusing on her current here and now.
I never thought of it as purposely "reinventing" myself but when I moved from the remote farming community where I was raised to a big city 8 hours away I didn't stay close to any friends from my childhood. Many of them went their own separate ways as well. It never even occurred to me to invite any of them to my wedding 9 years later. I always stayed close to my immediate and slightly extended family though.
When I was watching at Saturday morning, they commented that she was 4 seconds late. :confused3
Although I DVR'd it and wasn't viewing in real-time, the coverage I watched started 2 hours early and had a "count-down ticker" going. It seemed like things ran pretty closely to right-on-time to me. They certainly never commented on anything like a 15-minute delay.
Thought the dress was gorgeous, but not one many brides would think was "enough", as far as embellishment goes. For most brides the wedding gown is one of less than a handful of times they will go all out flashy and formal. If you're becoming part of the royal family and you've been a Hollywood actress you get several bites at the formal and flashy wardrobe apple.
I'm sure "The Palace" would have also vetted the dress, if not actually had a hand in directing the style. It was not what many of us were expecting but I guess mandatory "WOW factor" isn't something that's on their list of rules. I still do wonder though why she didn't have any jewelry on except those tiny earrings and a bracelet which it appears she took off for the after-party. I suppose the neckline of the dress was intended to be it's stand-alone focal point, but it really wasn't that dramatic.

As for the comments about her hair, I wonder how that ridiculously long veil even stayed on as she dragged it around the church At one point when they were retiring to the side-room to sign the register it got hung up on the seats and a lady guest (I think" it was Jessica Mulroney) right at the end of that row that reached down and untangled it. If not, I imagine the entire thing would have been yanked right off.

I believe that she won't be doing anymore acting - she will be focusing on the charties and humantiites works - I'm not sure if by the royal standards she would be allowed to work as an actress any longer - I don't think Princess Grace was allowed after she married

I wasn't criticizing the mother. I was just trying to figure her out.

I was reading an article today that was tearing into Kate for "looking tired" :rolleyes: I wish I could look half as good as she does on her worst day :rotfl:

She's the mother of three, maybe five and under or so, with the youngest being 3 weeks old and people are criticizing her? I know they have staff, I know they have a nanny, I know she probably had a fairy godmother and then some come and glam team her at the hospital -- but she had to walk out of the hospital a few hours after giving birth and show off her newborn to worldwide press who had been camped out to photograph them. If that had been me I'd have made some of those ridiculous celebrity mug shots look like glamour shots even if an actual fairy godmother waved a dozen wands in my direction.

I watched some of it and I especially loved how the held hands almost the entire ceremony. I did like the dress and the veil train of the dress. The carriage ride after the ceremony was also beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter