Anyone use Café du Monde beignet mix? Recommendations beyond just their instructions?

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
There was talk about this on the Disneyland board with the re-do of The French Market to Tiana's Palace. But in it we got into various discussions of beignets - especially the ones there (or at Mint Julep Bar) as well as Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen at Downtown Disney. Of course Café du Monde and their beignet mix came up and I ordered a box to try out.

The instructions are pretty clear and simple, but the ingredient list includes leavening, which may take some time to rise. The instructions say nothing about setting it aside to rise. I've heard of various recommendations with beignets to maybe refrigerate the dough overnight, but that sounds more like for cookies. It also recommends 1-2 inches of oil, so I suppose a somewhat shallow pan would probably work best. The instructions say an electric skillet, which I suppose would have better temperature control than a regular stovetop.

91D8KXK6h2L._SL1500_.jpg

We’ve used a bunch in last years. We just followed directions as I recall. Think we might have had one of those small kitchen deep fryers then vs in the skillet though.

We’ve used this mix a few times. Followed the recipe. The first time I tried it, the Beignets came out perfectly. We use an electric wok.

On my second attempt, the beignets weren’t as good. I’m not sure why.

A lot of yeast recipes in general include letting the dough rise slowly in the refrigerator overnight. Letting yeast dough rise in the refrigerator develops more flavor. Some of the beignet recipes I see online also use self-rising flour (flour + baking powder) in addition to yeast. As with most of these types of recipes there are probably many different versions out there.

Don't know the exact ingredients in that package mix, but I would assume without having any rising time, it depends more on the baking powder to do the rising. Electric skillet lets you maintain a constant temperature which is important for consistency when making any type of fried donut.

A lot of yeast recipes in general include letting the dough rise slowly in the refrigerator overnight. Letting yeast dough rise in the refrigerator develops more flavor. Some of the beignet recipes I see online also use self-rising flour (flour + baking powder) in addition to yeast. As with most of these types of recipes there are probably many different versions out there.

Don't know the exact ingredients in that package mix, but I would assume without having any rising time, it depends more on the baking powder to do the rising. Electric skillet lets you maintain a constant temperature which is important for consistency when making any type of fried donut.

I’ll find the ingredient list. I think it was several possibilities including baking soda and/or yeast.

iipsrv.fcgi

Follow the instructions and you should be fine. Oil temperature is very important. And just in case you never heard of this, for a shortcut way to make beignets you can cut the refrigerated canned biscuit dough and fry that the same way. It is not quite as good but super easy.

I agree with PPs. The directions on the box are fine.

Just remember to pile on the powdered sugar. You haven't eaten beignets correctly unless you're covered with the stuff.

I've seen ones that were dusted earlier, but where they were set aside and the sugar was oil soaked. I had some really good ones at a Vietnamese cafe (they said they were New Orleans style) where they were always made to order and freshly dusted.

But there are variations. I've seen candy cane dust substituting for powdered sugar.

hfg384702489025.jpg

Follow the instructions as written. The mix is developed in a way that does not require letting the dough rest. If you refrigerate it, your beignets won't puff up and will absorb too much oil, so don't do that.

The most important parts are the temperature of the oil and the thickness you roll them out to. I think it's supposed to be 1/4". Stick as close to that as you can.

These require a shallow fry. Lay only one or 2 in a large pan of oil and use a large metal cooking spoon to sort of bathe the tops with hot oil. This will encourage them to puff up. Fry until the bottom is medium brown then flip them over. The second side will cook faster.

Lay them on a cookie sheet lined with a few layers of paper towels and then a cooling rack over top so that they are basically floating above the paper towels but touching them enough to will away the excess oil.

I’ve found that even with pancake and waffle mixes, they turn out way better if I mix it up and let it sit for 20 minutes or even longer. The instructions never say to do this, but I can for sure tell the difference. So maybe same with the beignets. Mix ‘em up and let it rest for an hour. Fry and dust. Heaven.

Well - I did order it from Amazon and for some reason it's being delayed. Maybe I should have just gone to World Market - the one in Oakland was along the way yesterday but I thought the box would arrive today.

Well - I did order it from Amazon and for some reason it's being delayed. Maybe I should have just gone to World Market - the one in Oakland was along the way yesterday but I thought the box would arrive today.

Make sure you check the date. Amazon tends to send out expired pantry product.

Also important, any unused mix must be refrigerated after opening. Do NOT put it back in your pantry.

I’ve found that even with pancake and waffle mixes, they turn out way better if I mix it up and let it sit for 20 minutes or even longer. The instructions never say to do this, but I can for sure tell the difference. So maybe same with the beignets. Mix ‘em up and let it rest for an hour. Fry and dust. Heaven.

That's because you usually use buttermilk or they contain buttermilk in them and when you add water or milk, it causes a chemical reaction. The reaction when you add the liquid to the mix causes the mix to become aerated so you end up with fluffier pancakes. I do this too. But it won't work with this beignet mix, and you actually don't want beignet dough to be too risen. Otherwise it won't properly puff up when you fry it. Beignets are a bread dough, not a batter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter