Anything I need to know about renting a car through Airmiles?

rella's fan

DIS Veteran
Have never used my miles for a car rental but have more than enough to rent one in LA for our upcoming Disneyland trip. We normally take a shuttle but the 2 that I normally use are both going out of business the end of December. Saw that you need to pay taxes but still seems to be a good deal. I'm assuming that there are no hidden extras? My credit card insurance would still be good?

Have never used my miles for a car rental but have more than enough to rent one in LA for our upcoming Disneyland trip. We normally take a shuttle but the 2 that I normally use are both going out of business the end of December. Saw that you need to pay taxes but still seems to be a good deal. I'm assuming that there are no hidden extras? My credit card insurance would still be good?
we use airmiles for car rentals a LOT! I think it's a great use of miles, there's no way you can rent a car for the price you pay. You'll be charged a service charge (I think it might be $10?) when you make the booking and the taxes are due in person. Nothing other than what you see, just make sure you take a copy of the paperwork you get from airmiles ... forgot it once and the agent insisted we needed to pay the walk up rate until I managed to get a copy of the email resent. 😱
I doubt your credit card insurance will cover you unless you charge the full amount. We don't need to add anything though because our car insurance covers rental cars as well so check if that applies to you as well.

Credit Card insurance will NOT cover you. I learned this the hard way and have never used Air Miles for a rental again. Idiot backed into me while at a light in Orlando. Did $500 damage to the rental. My regular car insurance wasn’t any help either in dealing with the insurance of the person that hit me as they were being uncooperative. I ended up paying the $500 out of pocket just to make the issue go away.

I added a rider to my home car insurance policy that covers 'unowned vehicles'. It costs about $25/year. Well worth it when you consider that rental companies charge you at least $20/day for basic insurance. When I'm renting a car I have a copy of the section in the policy pertaining to this rider and my insurance card.

We have that rider as well. Just make sure you understand all the ins and outs of the rider (adult kids at home still using vehicle while you rent another one?)

can you dumb that down for me ? Lol
I often rent (not through airmiles ) solely so big kid can drive my vehicle as we only have one and that is impossible at times

We use our air miles to rent cars a lot, it's pretty much the best bang for the buck for us. The service charge is just under 12 dollars. I did get the air miles insurance once and the agent in FLL told me I should get theirs, happened to be Alamo, saying if something happens to the car I can be replaced right away but with a third party insurance it could take time, even a day is too much when you are on vacation and every day counts. I always get insurance anyways so it was o different to me, I always use it now.

can you dumb that down for me ? Lol
I often rent (not through airmiles ) solely so big kid can drive my vehicle as we only have one and that is impossible at times
Every insurance company is different so you should call and specifically ask your insurer. This is what ours told us when I asked. My car in Ottawa could not be driven while I was renting a car in Winnipeg (example). The insurance coverage I have went with me to the rental vehicle. Anyone driving my vehicle at home would not have coverage. This wasn't going to be an issue as my car sat in the driveway so I didn't get them to further elaborate on what if there was a second driver insured on the Ottawa vehicle as it wasn't going to apply to us. I'm not sure that the broker was correct with that interpretation anyway as DH and I are both second drivers on each others vehicle.

It's something to look into with your insurance to make sure everyone is covered when you think they are.

Ultimately any of this would only be a concern if two cars (rental and owned) were both in an accident at the same time.

Call your insurance and ask for a specific clarification. I know I'll be doing this again when I next rent a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter