AP prices increased [6/18/2019]

Another success story here with Sam's Club. As of 8pm EST it was still old price.

As a Canadian, if you can find someone who has a sams club account , it will then let you enter your Canadian billing info for the actual order

Confirmation email came within about half an hour and passes are linked and ready for my trip... Next year.

Once upon a time, we were thinking about doing a big AP year of Disney. With all the high velocity price increases across the board, it's just not going to be in our cards. But the biggest thing that has me hesitant is the uncertainty of the FP system.

This huge bump in AP prices let's me know they're serious about squeezing park guests over the next couple of years at least.

This is exactly the position we were in, and decided to take the plunge last year and our first (and now only) AP year ends this August. We will have made 8 trips in the year and I pay for all food/merch with Disney gift cards, by the time August arrives we will have burned through $15k in gift cards, and I think that's small potatoes compared to some of the comments of the Club Level folks I see here on the forum.

So we were planning on renewing, but that steep of an increase just seems like a real "up yours" to the loyal customers who spend a steady stream of money in the parks, so no thanks. We have a trip in Jan 2020 for the Disney marathon and don't plan to visit in 2020 after that.

So DW has been wanting for years to go back to Hawaii as we haven't been there in 15 years, I'm already planning my 2020 trip to Oahu but Aulani sure won't be on the itinerary.

Can anyone explain this to me? Why does Disney seem to want to curtail out-of-state visitors? First, they get rid of the NE tickets. And then with the increases hitting non-residents the hardest. I just don't understand. I mean, don't get me wrong....I am completely on board that Florida residents should get a discount. But, the fact that non-residents are already paying a premium since they cannot purchase the Gold pass (again, why?) seems like really sticking it to out-of-staters.

Now, I would venture to say the number of out-of-state visitors who would be coming twice (for full weeks) in a calendar year is minuscule in comparison to all park guests, and out-of-state visitors who come more than twice are probably a very, very small percentage. So, the idea that it is a crowd control thing doesn't make sense to me at all. Out-of-state visitors (most anyway) are going to use less than 5% of the days available as a passholder.

But, the financial thing doesn't make sense to me either. If you can get a non-resident to come twice a year, that is twice a year of merch purchases and food purchases, and for most, resort expenses. I have to imagine that opening Gold passes up to non-residents would more than make up for itself in miscellaneous expenses. And guess what, with more visits to Disney, that means there are going to be more non-park days and more Disney Springs days- meaning fewer people in the parks and more money being spent outside the parks....a win win.

I guess I just don't get it.

Well this stinks. We were going to purchase our first APs in December when we bridged our tickets. I can't justify the costs anymore. :(

For those who called this evening to check on the status of AP purchased thru Sam's, how long were you on hold, before a rep took the call? I am at one hour and holding. Their hold music is becoming an earworm!
First call was at 4pm and took and hour to get through to someone, didn’t resolve the issue. Called back at 6 and waited another hour until 7 but then my daughter was done with gymnastics and I had to go. Got her to bed and was just 10 mins in and saw your post..... I hung up I’ll wait until tomorrow and hope it shows up lol

Someone just picked up my call for the Sam's email confirmation issue and indicated that they have been having problems with emails being received. She resent the confirmation, which included the voucher, and it was received in 10 seconds. Whew - done! It was a bit longer than a one hour wait. The rep indicated this is their busiest time of year, apologized for the hold, and said wait times were getting shorter.

I asked if she knew how long the current pricing would be available, but she did not know.

Last edited:
So, the idea that it is a crowd control thing doesn't make sense to me at all. Out-of-state visitors (most anyway) are going to use less than 5% of the days available as a passholder.

But, the financial thing doesn't make sense to me either. If you can get a non-resident to come twice a year, that is twice a year of merch purchases and food purchases, and for most, resort expenses.
A couple things, whether you agree with them or not:

We don't know the metrics on the breakdown of guests using platinum APs. My guess is they determined that too many people were using APs for one stay. And they wanted to put an end to that. It is still beneficial to have an AP for 2 or more stays, but it is no longer for 1 stay, which it used to be in some cases. This is a mis-use of the products intention and means it is underpriced.

Secondly, they don't want you to come more often. That's the whole point.

Last edited:
Update: I ordered through Sam's Club and got the confirmations within 20 minutes.

ETA - I feel slightly nauseous about spending a $900 on a random Tuesday, but was going to buy a new pass in February.

Last edited:
DH and I were shocked the other day to see how relatively inexpensive WDW APs were compared to DLR APs. (Notice I said relatively! I know they're all expensive!)

I know this doesn't really help soften the blow, but the DLR Signature Plus passport (the only one without blockout days) is still more expensive than the WDW Platinum Plus by $180. For 4 less parks (I'm including WDW's water parks since they're in that one.)

People will still buy it, so Disney will charge whatever they can get away with. DLR's AP prices are insanity now and their crowds have been higher than ever (minus the recent blip of low crowds during SWGE opening.) Increasing pass prices hasn't impacted them negatively at all.

A couple things, whether you agree with them or not:

We don't know the metrics on the breakdown of guests using platinum APs. My guess is they determined that too many people were using APs for one stay. And they wanted to put an end to that. It is still beneficial to have an AP for 2 or more stays, but it is no longer for 1 stay, which it used to be in some cases. This is a mis-use of the products intention and means it is underpriced.

I cannot imagine why anyone would purchase a $900 (before today) AP for one stay...unless it was a 2 week stay or something. And, I certainly can't imagine that a LOT of people are out there using it for one stay. It barely makes sense for 2 stays. I am assuming 5 day tickets, not 7 day but anyway.

In regards to the bolded part above and the product's intention. An Annual Pass gives someone admission to the parks (nearly) every day for a year. How is someone using their AP for 10 days instead of 5 or 15 instead of 10, or heck, 30 instead of 14, mis-use of the products intention? It is still a fraction of the days the pass entitles you to, and a fraction of the number of days that in-state visitors use theirs for.

Exactly they want you to come, spend way more than normal on a vacation, and be okay with it because you are coming to Disney once every few years. Instead of bringing in your own food you pay $30 on BOG with average food because why not? That being said can't wait for my trip and I am playing right in to Disney's hand but oh well haha.

I know this doesn't really help soften the blow, but the DLR Signature Plus passport (the only one without blockout days) is still more expensive than the WDW Platinum Plus by $180. For 4 less parks (I'm including WDW's water parks since they're in that one.)

Its not exactly comparable because of the adjustment for location. Just like we wouldn't compare Paris or Tokyo to WDW either.

I cannot imagine why anyone would purchase a $900 (before today) AP for one stay...unless it was a 2 week stay or something. And, I certainly can't imagine that a LOT of people are out there using it for one stay. It barely makes sense for 2 stays. I am assuming 5 day tickets, not 7 day but anyway.

In regards to the bolded part above and the product's intention. An Annual Pass gives someone admission to the parks (nearly) every day for a year. How is someone using their AP for 10 days instead of 5 or 15 instead of 10, or heck, 30 instead of 14, mis-use of the products intention? It is still a fraction of the days the pass entitles you to, and a fraction of the number of days that in-state visitors use theirs for.

I'm an out of towner.

For the financial aspect you were discussing -

Personally, I got an AP this year because I do the rundisney races. I went in December 2018 and upgraded my package to an AP for the Star Wars races in April. I'm doing Princess races in February with the intention of doing Marathon Weekend Jan 2021, so I just bought an AP again through Sams Club early. For me, I stay for free when I go for races (on a friends families DVC), so I'm definitely not spending more on a resort. I also don't know how many out of state AP holders actually stay on site. Also, because I go so often, I spend very very little on merch. Obviously, my DVC for free aspect is unique to me, but I don't think that out of towners necessarily spend a lot more at WDW than resident AP holders.

I keep racking my brain to figure out how to save on these APs. We have free dining 8day PH package tickets. We were upgrading to APs when there in September as they won’t do it over the phone :worried: Do I have any options with the Sams APs. I cannot think of anything that makes sense.

Hopefully someone responded but if you plan to go back, keep the 8 day PH to use later?

Its not exactly comparable because of the adjustment for location. Just like we wouldn't compare Paris or Tokyo to WDW either.

I guess that's true if they're basing prices off the cost of living in their immediate vicinity and not off their customer base. (ie, lots of WDW AP holders seem to come from the northeast, which has lots of places with COLs comparative to southern CA.)

I don't know WDW's historical AP rates - haven't ever tracked them. I do know DLR's. The price has skyrocketed over the past few years, and people still come in droves to buy those passes. I'm sure Disney knows they can get away with it on the east coast, too.

I am also about to buy a Sam's club AP. Are we thinking they won't go through?

At 8:40 pm, I joined ebates , went to Sams club thru there. Joined Sams club & bought the APs. Had my order order confirmation at 8:58 pm & my email with the vouchers at 9:13. A relative bought them earlier today, got her vouchers within half hour & then linked to MDE no problem.

I am not linking mine right now because I have a current AP & a free dining package with tickets booked for later in the year. I will save these vouchers for next year or 2021.

At 8:40 pm, I joined ebates , went to Sams club thru there. Joined Sams club & bought the APs. Had my order order confirmation at 8:58 pm & my email with the vouchers at 9:13. A relative bought them earlier today, got her vouchers within half hour & then linked to MDE no problem.

Thanks, I also got mine :). I debated joining ebates but I panicked and bought them too fast. $5 on Dosh though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter