AP prices increased [6/18/2019]

A crazy overnight increase to be sure, but when you do the math in terms of the value you get it's still reasonable (when I compare Disney to what it takes for me to bring my kids to a Yankees game for instance.)

But Disney could have been a bit more subtle with this one, let a few weeks pass between when you announce the "perk" of being able to pay for access to a soft opening before the official soft opening of galaxies edge (wow what a perk! ugh....) They should realize that the gut reaction will be that it seems like a lot of extra coin for 2 freaking new rides. At some point the price increases can negatively impact their bottom line by a drop in attendance and/or perception. But sadly I think that's a long ways off. IMO if they doubled the prices it would probably only diminish the crowds by 20ish%. They have a singular high quality product, crazy eager customers, and a strong economy.

I get that, there are a lot of things I like WAAAYYY better about DLR, but we love living in the Disney bubble at WDW and the resorts/transportation of WDW are very important to us, and DLR lacks in those aspects. Without that, DLR wins mostly (aside from ToT).

The Disney bubble is awesome. It’s why I like their cruise line. I wanna do an Alaskan one next year. But I’ll do DLR for the Haunted Mansion redo over Halloween. My significant other loves it. It’s one of those things that make me like DLR.

However, we both really love Orlando Universal.

Now, thanks for the Sam’s tip. One of my friends is moving to FL next month. His wife really, really loves Disney.

Sure looks that way. If you are gold you need at least two trips if you're a FL resident and get the Gold but at least 3 trips if you're not a FL resident (and have to get the Premium AP).

I think it is a little misleading to say how many trips you would need to break even. It really depends on how many days you go each trip, when they are & if you get parkhoppers or not. I priced 2 trips: this December with an 8 day hopper & late April/ early May with a 6 day hooper. Those 2 trips came to $1173. Buying a new AP is $1119. So while I don’t like the increase, I think people need to price out their specific situation & see what makes sense for them.

I think it is a little misleading to say how many trips you would need to break even. It really depends on how many days you go each trip, when they are & if you get parkhoppers or not. I priced 2 trips: this December with an 8 day hopper & late April/ early May with a 6 day hooper. Those 2 trips came to $1173. Buying a new AP is $1119. So while I don’t like the increase, I think people need to price out their specific situation & see what makes sense for them.

Certainly prices will vary based on need. But what I said above is true. Look at the comparisons (again, I noted I was not factoring in discounts because they can be applied a la carte based on your needs, however, I was factoring in Park Hopper).

"If you are gold you need at least two trips"
The gold AP costs $699. A single trip, maximum 10-day ticket won't get you to $699. To get to $699 you'd need to go at least twice for some combination of days.

"... at least 3 trips if you're not a FL resident (and have to get the Premium AP)"
The Platinum AP costs $1119. Two 10-day tickets would be just under this at $1100. Thus, 3 trips would be necessary to hit the break even on a ticket vs ticket comparison.

(when I compare Disney to what it takes for me to bring my kids to a Yankees game for instance.)

What?

Right now I can get tickets next Saturday at Yankee Stadium behind home plate in the upper deck for $40. That is from a completely unknowledgeable person who has Brewers/Packers tickets. Want better seats? You can get the second deck for like $80 or on field level for like $110. You can bring in food to yankee stadium as well as drinks to keep costs down. Parking would be what $25 to $50?

So dramatically less than Disney and not really all that related either though. Doesn't mean Disney is a bad deal just because you can go to a baseball game for cheaper. One is a vacation the other is just entertainment.

Certainly prices will vary based on need. But what I said above is true. Look at the comparisons (again, I noted I was not factoring in discounts because they can be applied a la carte based on your needs, however, I was factoring in Park Hopper).

"If you are gold you need at least two trips"
The gold AP costs $699. A single trip, maximum 10-day ticket won't get you to $699. To get to $699 you'd need to go at least twice for some combination of days.

"... at least 3 trips if you're not a FL resident (and have to get the Premium AP)"
The Platinum AP costs $1119. Two 10-day tickets would be just under this at $1100. Thus, 3 trips would be necessary to hit the break even on a ticket vs ticket comparison.

But again, that is not true. I priced 2 trips, with an 8 day hopper ($605) & a 6 day hopper ( $565) . Price is more than a new out of state AP. So again, I only need 2 trips to break even, or save a little bit, not 3. No other discounts were factored in my analysis either.

Last edited:
I helped my parents purchase AP certs from Sam's Club earlier today and it took about 16 mins between emailed receipt and emailed voucher. I've linked them to their profile in my MDE.

I still don’t have mine but maybe they are getting overwhelmed with requests?

I find that having the AP was really addicting to go there, I'm from Oregon and I was looking for any excuse to visit since we had AP's. 4 trips within this year, 5 stays at a deluxe resort, 2 stays at a moderate... they got their ticket prices back out of me no doubt... And I found myself subscribing to Sam's club this morning... I have a problem...

At least with Disney tickets, you are getting more rides along with the price increase. Probably not worth it to most people, but it's better than what a lot of other corporations are doing. Comcast, for example, keeps raising the cost of my cable package without actually giving me any extra services.
We all have the option of saying no to going to the parks. My wife and I had that conversation just this morning.
extra rides? with increased crowds you can't ride as many rides, usually.

We have 2 sets of tickets from two free dining trips this summer to use which would have had enough value to renew our family of 6 with money left over...... not anymore. Originally we were going to renew our passes but now I am leaning towards just renewing one for the benefits and not renewing the other five of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter