Apple Scooter disaster!!

Oooh.. I am really nervous about this now. I booked Apple because so many people here spoke highly of them, but now I'm hearing bad news. We're going to be at WDW in less than 2 weeks.

:eek:

I'm thinking of switching to Buena Vista...

i think all companys are going to have a problem sometimes. I was credited approx 54 dollars and upgraded to a better scooter for the same price.. the customer service rep was there within the hour he was very quick to respond and give us a better scooter, then my husband couldnt get it apart so we had to call again and he did come back within 25 minutes because we were stressing over dinner ressies... so we had problems but the scooter just died how can anybody know that would happen. unfortunately it sucked for me.. but i think they all must have problems sometimespixiedust:

I have been renting scooters several times a year at WDW for some time now from a variety of companies. As someone pointed out, problems can arise no matter who you pick. Bad experiences with Walker and Lake Buena Vista knocked them off my list. I have been renting happily from Apple for many years now and by and large pleased with their service.

Many people who rent scooters are using them for the first time. Here are some things I've learned... there are no brakes... speed is controlled through the handle tabs and using the throttle knob. With practice, this actually works fairly well. Scooters have a knob that can be flipped to put them in neutral. This is often done by CM's when you go on a ride because they want to move your scooter. If you ever get on and it won't start, check and make sure the knob has not been flipped. Depending on how steep they are, inclines can cause a scooter to stall. If this happens, flip the neutral switch to reset. The steeper the hill, the more speed you have to give the scooter so it won't stall. ALWAYS carry your charger in the back pocket of the scooter when you go out! Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

I don't know whether this has been growing pains for Apple and I miss dealing with Alex, but hopefully they will be sorting them out so others don't have the type of problems the OP experienced.

I have been looking into rental and was speaking with a close friend who had just returned from Disney and had an ECV. I believe she said 3 out of 5 days were affected due to faulty equipment. She said I was just in luck, she was just about to call, yet again, regarding her experience and hope for a refund. The guy, I don't remember his name, said she was being a "nasty b*" for questioning him :confused3:confused3

I was shocked and disgusted and will absolutely be looking elsewhere for my rental.

None of the names that were mentioned here sound familiar to me and at the time I left her home, there was no resolution.

I hope the people here who have had bad experiences get a positive solution soon

Been at WDW for 9 days, leaving today. The first scooter we had gotten from Apple died at Hollywood Studios, when I called they were very nice on the phone, would have someone there within the hour to replace it. During the meantime CM's and my husband was finally able to get it started, but it kept dying out. After an hour of waiting we called Apple again the guy was no help, and was very rude. Within minutes, the delivery driver called and said that he would delivery a new scooter to our resort, that if I wanted it delivered to Hollywood Studio it would be 3/4 hours. So we pushed/pulled my dad and the scooter to the bus transportation to get back to the resort. The new scooter was waiting for us at the resort. Immediately we noticed that it had a bad ignition switch, to get it to turn on, we would have to play/jiggle the switch. When I called again, I was told they didnt have anything else available, that it was Thanksgiving week and everything had been rented out. I told them that this was crazy, couldn't believe they didnt have any other scooter. At times it would take 10/15 to get the scooter to turn on. Told them that they should be ashamed of themselves, not only did their scooters look terrible, beat up and cracked in the front and along the feet area, but this was stealing from an 80 year old man who can barely take two steps. I told him that I expected a refund, lol said he'd have someone get back with me, that was 3 days ago. We are planning another trip here with my dad, and we will NEVER rent from Apple again!! I had read all the reviews on here before we left, wish I would have listened to everyone. Good luck to you if you rent from Apple Sccoter!

So glad I found this thread! We rented from Apple last December and had a less than stellar experience. However, we were sent to rent from them again for our upcoming January trip. Based on our past experience and all of these reports, I just called and cancelled. Booked with Walker instead, as it's no problem for one of our party to meet the driver at the resort. Plus we booked one of the pink princess scooters for my mom! princess:

I can only speak to a wheelchair rental. We just returned from our trip and had a good experience with Apple. The wheelchair was in perfect condition and was waiting for us on arrival. I was nervous based on this thread and was very pleased to have such an easy and pleasant experience.

It sounds as though this company is just having a hard time meeting demand with product quality, as can happen with any company that is renting hardware to a mass crowd. Shame as it seems there are also many happy customers. Hopefully they can fix their internal problems to offer a more positive experience in the future

I have been renting scooters for my mom from Apple for several years. We go several times a year. At first, I had no trouble at all and was super pleased. The past few trips have been nothing but trouble!! I expect a problem now and then, but not constantly!! Anyway, this last trip we had a very bad experience and I was fed up. I called and was not very nice. They delivered a brand new scooter that worked like a dream. It seems as if they have not replaced scooters as needed and have a fleet of aging scooters with tons of problems. We are arriving at Disney in a few days and I have given them one more chance. I requested one of the new scooters and will not accept anything else. I warned them when I rented. I am very sad that they have declined so much and hope they can get their act together!

Booked with Walker instead, as it's no problem for one of our party to meet the driver at the resort. Plus we booked one of the pink princess scooters for my mom! princess:

I rent from Walker 2-3 times a year and really like their customer service (ladies in the office, delivery drivers). I found they "bend over backwards" to meet you when delivering and picking up (with Disney's preferred provider policy).

Out of curiosity I asked some guests who had Apple scooters about their experiences. Responses ran hot and cold. Just an observation ...

Schmeck-I agree, your trip WAS ruined. Their faulty machine caused you to injure yourself. You then could not tour due to pain. That means your trip was ruined.

My credit card company agrees 100% that our entire rental should be refunded. They called Apple with me connected on the phone. The guy was rude and dug himself a bigger hole. He couldn't even do simple math or answer where they got numbers from. So obnoxious. Its now being sent to a higher up at the credit card company.

Hey Sazzifrazz, shame you had to go this far! Really shocked that a "Disney Preferred Vendor" exhibits such lackluster concern with customer service and satisfaction. Please keep us updated.
RJ

I had a completely different, and very positive experience last week.

I rented from Apple for Dec 2 through Dec 10. I also requested the Pride 10 with cover. This was waiting for me at the resort, with the sunshade attached. It was fully charged and I never had a problem with charging, operation, etc. Everything went very smooth, and I'd rent from Apple again without any hesitation. pixiedust:

We just got back and used Apple Scooters for my mom's ECV again. We were there Dec 8th-16th and never had a problem.

I'm not totally happy with our last experience between 12-3 through 12-10. One scooter continued to have problems for us. It jerked and sometimes hesitated to start. One battery never took more than a three hour charge, while the other battery took six hours or more. We travelled in all the same places. The battery recharging should have been close to the same time. The battery that didn't charge fully was a little scary at times. The light was green and looked ready to go; I believe it wasn't getting a full charge. We could not get more than 4 hours use with that battery. Fortunately we didn't do long days in the parks; we took breaks and recharged the batteries when we went back for the night into the parks. I watched the gage very closely and we had to leave the park twice; because, the battery was getting too low. I didn't want the hassle of going back to Apple and swap or whatever or argue. With our tour plan, we managed, but it wasn't pleasant. I'm losing it for Apple. They appear to not be maintaining their scooters. I've been a fan for years and this was not a good experience. I think it's getting to be hit and miss with Apple. If I went back to Disney I would have a long talk with Apple and perhaps even go to their store to pick up a scooter rather then getting it delivered to our resort.

We had the same exact problem with the throttle on the scooter we rented from apple. It took a little while to figure out there was something wrong with it. We called them and they promptly delivered another one to our condo. The new one was fine. We went during the off season though, so I don't know if that mattered or not. But I wonder if this throttle problem is a common thing?

I know that some issues that are being brought up is a problem from the manufactures and not lack of maintenance on the scooters. I have the same scooter that Apple uses (Go-Go Traveler Elite Plus) as my personal scooter. I have had to take it in and have parts replaced in the motor because of a flaw from the manufacturer (Pride). Mine would go along fine for a bit and then would just stop and beep. If I shut the key off and turned it back on it would reset itself and be good to go for a little while and then do it again. It wasn't lack of maintenance or abuse on my part, it was just a problem with that scooter.

It sounds like to me that Apple has some that are having the same issue and if people aren't reporting it, Apple can't fix the problem.

Jusy to balance oyt those that worrying I had powerchair September just gone from Apple and was fine one time charger stopped working they brought one out within 2 hrs

Chair was tired yes but then they get lot of use and my chair at home l9oks battered and tired too as used a lot

We rented a stroller and scooter from them in November. The stroller was broken and the scooter had a problem with the arm rest, I called and both were replaced within an hour. A few days later we were at Epcot and the battery started going dead, it had been charged overnight and should not have gone down so quickly, I called again and was told they would meet me at the entrance in about an hour, this worked well for us, we were in line for Belle and our granddaughter would have been heartbroken if she didn't get to meet her. The battery died completely before we got to the entrance and my husband had to push the stroller and scooter. Come to find out it was n old battery once he changed it with a new one there were no more issues. I wasn't happy with the issues but they were quick to take care of them.

I rented a scooter from apple dec 14-24. I had problems the first couple of days because I didn't realize that the charging cord wasn't working to charge the battery. Once I figured out what was going on, I called and they had a replacement cord to me in less than an hour. And he delivered it right to my room at Pop.

I just wanted to follow up with the results of this "saga". My credit card company did work as a mediator. The charges were 100% refunded and Apple didn't receive a penny for the rental. I had also contacted Disney and they were wonderful. They called to follow up and took the time to listen and ask questions.

It's a shame so many people have had their vacation affected by this company!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter