April/May 2019: Seven Kinds of Crazy - in progress!

Jaina

Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long, VMK story.
Thanks for the congrats on the new house! We are very excited, and have been enjoying it! (Though paying for it, is, of course it's own kind of excitement, haha. There is so much that goes into getting a house set up even when it doesn't need work!)

Back to the trip report! I'm feeling excited about Disney again as my daughter and I are talking about a quick one-day trip in November hopefully...

After the bathroom break, we headed into Adventureland! First up was a ride on the Jungle Cruise, which is always fun for all ages. Unless the line is particularly long. And for some reason, it was at 10 AM on a Tuesday... Okay, it was only 20 minutes, but it felt much longer for some reason, probably since we had to go upstairs and because our 2-year-old was throwing a bit of a fit. I think she loved the ride though.

After the Jungle Cruise we had a FP for Indiana Jones for the three oldest and Dad. They got a rider switch, and I took the littlest two through Tarzan's Treehouse, which they enjoyed. I hadn't been up there in quite a while, and took opportunity of the view and the cloudy skies to get some fun shots.

They were still in Indy when we were done, so we decided it was a good opportunity to check out the Tropical Hideaway! It was very quiet there that early in the morning. (about 11 AM) I hadn't done enough research on what was good there (and hadn't even actually planned to go there) but I thought it was a good time to try a Dole Whip, and also decided on the pineapple lumpia. I didn't realize they don't have the vanilla swirled ones there (like I tried in Hawaii, yum!) but we settled with a traditional Whip. The older kids and dad showed up halfway through and everyone was impressed with both desserts! My poor DH (a chiropractor, and pretty anti-sugar) probably felt like every time he left me alone this trip, I used it to buy treats. He'd probably be right. But anything you split 4-6 ways isn't really that much sugar per treat. I loved being able to try so many different things with that method!

Two older kids and I ran over to use our rider switch on IJ, but of course the ride had just gone down. :P I didn't get to ride it this trip, but that wasn't a big deal. It's not one of my very favorites, though I usually enjoy it. Instead, we all grabbed an almost-instant FP for The Haunted Mansion. We had to convince a few of the kids that we all needed to go together, even if they kept their eyes/ears closed the whole time. Actually, the lessened sleep was catching up to miss DD2, and she was kind of having a meltdown, so I ended up putting her in the toddler Tula with a pacifier, and putting a jacket/hand over her out-facing ear. I'm pretty sure she took a catnap during most of the line (short) and ride. I was nervous that they were going to make me turn her around in the Doom Buggy, but no one said anything, so I just took one for myself and she stayed asleep? the whole ride. She was either asleep or terrified, because she didn't move, and that's really unusual for her! She woke up as we were getting off, and we headed over to ride the train before our FP for IASW came up. We took that opportunity eat "lunch" (mostly lunchables, chips, and gogurts). (It was about 12:30)

None of the kids remembered riding it, since it was under refurbishment on our last family trip, so we rode it all the way around, and stayed on again through the newest section until Toontown, where we departed to use our IASW passes. We saw our friends from the day before again getting on the ride while we were in line. :) The little ones really loved IASW, and the older kids don't complain yet, at least not for the first ride. :) They are usually okay for an opportunity to be off their feet and be entertained. That hippopotamus is my favorite. :)

So, I have zero idea what we did between 1 pm and 2 pm. Not zero. I have these two pictures as clues:

I don't think we did any rides. I know soon after that picture my husband took DS5 and DD2 back to the room for a rest/nap until the parade that evening. I literally have no idea what we did with that hour in between pictures though!

disneymouse16

Mouseketeer
Okay, so I was following your thread and I just didn't get the alerts! 🤷‍♀️ I love reading your trip report and seeing how you handle it with so many kids! We have four kids and I'm excited/nervous for our next family trip, hopefully, in December! It looks like everyone is such good sports and that you all had such a wonderful time!

Congratulations on the house! I'm glad it all seems to be working out!

Jaina

Okay, so I was following your thread and I just didn't get the alerts! 🤷‍♀️ I love reading your trip report and seeing how you handle it with so many kids! We have four kids and I'm excited/nervous for our next family trip, hopefully, in December! It looks like everyone is such good sports and that you all had such a wonderful time!

Congratulations on the house! I'm glad it all seems to be working out!
No problem! Sometimes I've stopped getting alerts too on threads I wanted to follow. :P Especially if I'm busy for a while and see an alert but don't have a chance to click on it. Thanks for jumping back in!

• mouschievous

Mouseketeer
    First of all, congrats on the house!! It's beautiful, and looks like a great space for your family.

Secondly, our nephew (Age 6) did the SAME THING as your DD2 - hands over his ears all through HM, and we thought he hated it but as soon as we got off it was "can we go again?!" and he declared it his favorite ride of the trip. Kids are funny.

Thirdly, I LOVE all of your craftiness and would love your help with ideas if we end up being able to do the trip we're hoping to do for Sept2020.

Also, hi, nice to meet you!

caylene44

Aspiring Disney Travel Planner
    And for some reason, it was at 10 AM on a Tuesday... Okay, it was only 20 minutes, but it felt much longer for some reason, probably since we had to go upstairs and because our 2-year-old was throwing a bit of a fit. I think she loved the ride though.
    I swear Jungle Cruise always feels like the longest line! It's a really deceptive queue area too!

Back to the trip report! I'm feeling excited about Disney again as my daughter and I are talking about a quick one-day trip in November hopefully...
    Yay, fingers crossed you can make it work!

momtohms

Mouseketeer
    Loved your last update and all the pics! Those yellow shirts are great, especially with the red polka dot bows on your Minnie ears :) I need to remember to stop at the top of Tarzan’s Treehouse more to take in the view too!

Jaina

First of all, congrats on the house!! It's beautiful, and looks like a great space for your family.

Secondly, our nephew (Age 6) did the SAME THING as your DD2 - hands over his ears all through HM, and we thought he hated it but as soon as we got off it was "can we go again?!" and he declared it his favorite ride of the trip. Kids are funny.

Thirdly, I LOVE all of your craftiness and would love your help with ideas if we end up being able to do the trip we're hoping to do for Sept2020.

Also, hi, nice to meet you!
    Hi! I'm so glad you've jumped in! I'm fairly certain I'll be around next year, and I'd be happy to help with anything I've done on shirts. :) Thanks, we are so excited about the house!

I swear Jungle Cruise always feels like the longest line! It's a really deceptive queue area too!
    Yay, fingers crossed you can make it work!
    I'm pretty sure we will. I already have the money set aside for my ticket, at least, and the girls are close to having what they need. I've just started getting excited about it! The family trip was awesome, but also exhausting, and took sooo much planning. I'm eager to take some smaller-group trips in the next year or two if I can swing it!

Loved your last update and all the pics! Those yellow shirts are great, especially with the red polka dot bows on your Minnie ears :) I need to remember to stop at the top of Tarzan’s Treehouse more to take in the view too!
    Thanks! I love how they turned out in the pictures, and just wish we had gotten a couple full-family ones with everyone looking normal, haha. At least I got several the first day and a couple the last day - that's better than last time! I really did have to remind them that "this is one of my top 5 guys - quite a few family pictures!"

• Jaina

For anyone who's still following this, thanks! It's seriously been a whirlwind the last two months with moving and getting school started, especially since I'm going from being a SAHM to 5 young kids and adding in guiding my 4th grader's microschool class 20 hours a week in our home. We are tiny bit too busy this year with everyone's activities. 😬

With the little kids gone, it was time for some big kid fun! On to one of our favorite DLR attractions: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad! We had two extra fast passes, since we had just grabbed them for all 6 tickets, so we decided to grab a set of people out of the standby line (which was 45+ minutes at 2:30 PM) and let them use our extra FP's. It was a mom and her child, and they were pretty excited. We chatted with them through the line and they took this picture for us:

And time for some "firsts" as well. For several visits I've said I wanted to try a funnel cake, and never made it happen. Well that changed! (And it was good that I had 3 hungry kiddos to share it with, haha)

And the next "first" was actually taking a ride around the Rivers of America on the Mark Twain. I've walked onboard before, but never actually dedicated any time to riding it all the way around. It was fun though, and restful. I am a little sad I never did it when the path was longer. It was fun to see some of the fun touches that you can only see from that attraction, and see more of what used to the be Mine Train. I still have to cross the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes off my list someday though!!

And another dessert my SIL told me was a must-try. We did try "The Grey Stuff" and it was delicious! I kind of wished we had two of them to share among the four of us. Of course, everyone needed their own picture with it, haha! The only issue we had was I used the app ordering system and waited, and waited, and waited, and it never said it was ready! We had a used it a few times before, so I knew how it was supposed to work. Finally, when my window was up and it disappeared, I went in to ask, and they just grabbed one out of the fridge and handed it to me. Seriously? I hate when you don't know when to be patient or when to make sure you haven't been forgotten.

Now was the part that was a little crazy for me as a mom. The younger kids reeeeally wanted to see the parade, and the older kids were happy to see it too, so it was time to start staking out a spot. I didn't want the same experience as with the Christmas parade, where we waited until 50 minutes before and there were no more front-row seats left. So with a 6 pm starting time, at 4:15 I wanted to find a good spot to watch and grab when needed. But my kids didn't want to sit around with me, and we had 6 fastpasses for Star Tours, so I sent them off to navigate over there by themselves and ride it twice before joining me on the parade route. They were 12, 11, and 8, and had our "house" iPhone with them, and Disneyland is super safe, but it was still felt strange. :) I picked a nice spot by IASW, and watched the curb in front of me until people started sitting down, and then I started setting up camp with our stroller, backpacks, jackets, etc. The kids joined me before too long after that, and sat there with me for a bit and ate a snack. Then eventually my husband and the littles came back, and they all disappeared for about 20 minutes to use the fastpasses we had for Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin. They enjoyed that, and rejoined me to eat snacks and wait for the parade to start.

Sadly, the cast member who told me the parade was starting from that end was mistaken. It definitely started on Main Street, so we had about 20 minutes more to wait than we thought! Thankfully, the weather was still nice, and the kids did okay with it. :) The parade was really fun, even if I would have picked a slightly different spot if I had known they were coming from that direction. The lighting wasn't amazing, and none of the pictures/video of the parade were anything to be excited about. But the kids had a good seat, really enjoyed it, and we checked that off our "must do" list! I loved watching little miss DD2 wave her heart out at her favorite characters!

Somewhere in there we ate some dinner, but I have no idea what it was. It don't know if that was the night we bought something at the restaurant-formerly-known-as-the-Tomorrowland-Terrace (I can't think of the new name most of my life...) or if we ate stuff we brought with us for dinner. Nothing too exciting, either way. :) I know that after the parade we went over and rode Winnie the Pooh, because the little ones had been wanting to try that. :) They enjoyed that one, and I always do too. It's a cute dark ride that I don't have to worry about them getting scared in. (I'm looking at you, Snow White...)

It was a beautiful evening, and we enjoyed walking over along the Rivers of America, because we had FP's for Buzz Lightyear. The kids always enjoy that ride, and you can usually get a readily-available FP for it, especially with MaxPass.

I thought DH would take the littles home after Buzz, but they'd had a late nap/rest and were asking to do Finding Nemo. My older kids hadn't done that one the trip before (because it was while they were lining up for the Jedi Academy show) and they were all mostly up for it. Someone had to be persuaded. (Maybe me? haha) I get claustrophobic on that one pretty easily, but it was nighttime, and not warm, (you can see the kids are all wearing their sweatshirts) and they didn't over crowd the sub at all. The wait was about 20 minutes, which was do-able even though kids were tired at 8:30. :) And the Lagoon is so beautiful at night!

After that it was nearing fireworks time (which my kids had never been able to stay for - just too late for them!) but the little ones were definitely tired, so DH took one of the strollers and headed back to the room with them. I think they walked the whole way, because the buses were crazy, he said. Or was that the night before? It's been a few months... Anyway, they stopped around Harbor Security and watched the fireworks for a few minutes. The older 3 kids and I found a place just to the front right of the castle, and they enjoyed dancing to Mickey's Mix Magic and not having to wait too long or be too crowded to get a decent view of the castle/fireworks. I know the show wasn't that popular, but it was super fun for them to get to do that.

We had FP's for one more ride on BTMR (we love it at night!) so we did that before heading out, checking out a few things on Main Street on our way.

They love looking at all the merchandise, and we tried a treat (a scone) that was fairly disappointing as far as our trip treats went. It was okay, but nothing special, and not very sweet for how it looked. DD9 talked me into letting her spend a few $ of hers on a sucker, though I told her she couldn't eat it that night (too late for hard candy sugar like that!) or in front of her little siblings. I think she stashed it in the freezer when we got home, actually, and didn't end up finding it again/eating it until a few weeks ago!

This little girl didn't have any of the trouble going to sleep that she had that first night in the hotel. She passed out fast and hard! It was a successful 2nd day in the parks!

FeistyDisneyMom

Mouseketeer
    Gorgeous 2nd day! So glad things are finally settling down for you - I need to finish my report from March, but I just haven't managed to get motivation and time to happen at the same time :D

Can't wait to read more of your trip!

disneymouse16

Mouseketeer
    What a great second day! I like that your DH takes the littles back to the hotel so you get to stay with the older kids! My DH does that for me as well and it make the evening a different kind of fun!

momtohms

Mouseketeer
    Sounds like a great Day 2! I still need to do the canoes also, even after my trip last week when I had plenty of opportunity. Haha!

I love BTMRR at night too, especially if you can time it to ride during the fireworks :)

Such a sweet pic of your littlest one, fast asleep! Aww!

• Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates