Are Disney’s Water Parks in Trouble?

Totally forgot about Aquatica in this discussion, you are SO right! And wasn't it voted best water park in the country this year?

Correct. I think USA Today claimed Aquatica #1 for the U.S. (source: https://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-outdoor-water-park/)

I have never been to any of our local Orlando water parks (except Wet-N-Wild many years ago), so I don't have any personal experience. But, as I mentioned above, we plan to do Discovery Cove this winter.

I agree with most here. The water parks are more of an amenity IMO, if it keeps people on property a day or two more, Disney is happy. Obviously the water park market in Orlando is now quite saturated, and I don't think a 3rd one would help at all, it would only cannibalize TL/BB and possibly the other two. I actively dislike water parks, I do not go to them anywhere around the mid-atlantic region. I know many people do and travel to Great Wolf lodges, etc. so I don't see water parks being some huge draw even in Orlando due to that fact. However, I do like BB and TL. Aquatica was meh, though nice and clean, the signature ride didn't do much for me which disappointed me. I think Disney is fine with the water parks and my only complaint is the bus transfers.

The Water Parks are great! When the kids were young and we went to Disney during the summer months, they were a must. It was a nice, refreshing break from the parks. We used to get 10 day hoppers Plus back then. We went for the week and would spread out parks, water parks and one resort day. We might have two days of water parks in one week (back then we had to pick two - River Country was also open and switch it up the next trip). The evening we would go to "Downtown Disney" or the Boardwalk area and not use a park day. Doing this, our 10 day plus 5 (I believe) - we averaged 3 trips with those tickets.

We have not been to one in years now. Would love to take the grandkids. My sons still love them, but my DILs not so much. Hopefully they stay around.

Last edited:
My family use to go all the time and loved renting the cabanas but since they changed the bus routes and now you need to transfer going to and from the parks we have not gone back. Unless they make it a better option and lower travel time, will not be going back. Just will stay at the resort pool as I Just don't care to be in a wet suit or even shower and change at the parks for the commute.
This. So much this. Who wants to traipse through either DS or change at AK. Such a disincentive to use the parks, both of which my family enjoy.

We went to Typhoon Lagoon for the first time in November. We had never been to a Disney water park before, and I will say I was impressed. It was more fun than I imagined it would be, and the wave pool was a great place to relax. It would be a shame if anything were to happen to that park. Can't speak in regards to Blizzard Beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter