Are some properties more difficult to rent out points from?

Stinkomann20x6

Mouseketeer
I could totally be wording the question wrong lol. But we are looking at 250 points in Aulani via resale. We aren’t super picky for where to stay when WDW, so with those points we’d usually be ok for even a 1 bedroom to find a place to stay at 7 months.

and I know VGC is out of the question at 7 months. So not even trying that when we go to California lol.

Does anyone with renting experience through someone like David’s know if I’d have issues renting them out since I assume less people ever would look to rent through home window at Aulani, than WDW resorts. We’d always know with plenty of time if we aren’t gonna go on a year to either resort.

Thanks!

I could totally be wording the question wrong lol. But we are looking at 250 points in Aulani via resale. We aren’t super picky for where to stay when WDW, so with those points we’d usually be ok for even a 1 bedroom to find a place to stay at 7 months.

and I know VGC is out of the question at 7 months. So not even trying that when we go to California lol.

Does anyone with renting experience through someone like David’s know if I’d have issues renting them out since I assume less people ever would look to rent through home window at Aulani, than WDW resorts. We’d always know with plenty of time if we aren’t gonna go on a year to either resort.

Thanks!
We’ve rented our SSR points several times, but never at SSR. At 7 months points are points. Our rentals have all been for larger units & lower DVC demand times - Feb, May, Aug. I personally would not buy Aulani to visit WDW.

Why Aulani? Do you plan to vacation there more than other resorts? Dues are high, subject to storm damage, has sewer problems, and it isn't as popular as people think. It's been over seven years and it's still for sale direct.

:earsboy: Bill

Why Aulani? Do you plan to vacation there more than other resorts? Dues are high, subject to storm damage, has sewer problems, and it isn't as popular as people think. It's been over seven years and it's still for sale direct.

Heya thanks for the response, and stuff to consider!

I think we leaned that way with the price resale per point, but still relatively longer years on deed. Then when I compared the higher dues it seemed to be about a $30 a month difference. So I might have been looking at it the completely wrong way lol. In comparing I thought about animal kingdom but the fewer years kind of bummed me out.

We live in Oregon, so we’d be doing a rotation of WDW and DL (we only do the parks every other year, as it really helps keep the magic alive to wait long enough to get that itch again lol) Aulani might be an off year thing for us, so we kinda looked Aulani as a way to get enough points to afford a 1 bedroom for the 10 days or so we do in May in WDW (mainly cause I read in that predictions chart how 1 bedroom at 7 months you probably won’t have issues, but studios can be pretty hit and miss) , then get some aulani time, and if necessary rent out points on DL year and pay cash to stay at a different place. The more I type this out, the more I realize how overwhelming it all is lol.

But in WDW we aren’t that set on a place we HAVE to stay. We’d be more than happy to do another DVC resort every time. I’ve seen the “buy where you want to stay”stuff on here, but wasn’t sure if that really applied since we are open on that. Not sure if it all makes sense. But I’m trying for heavy reading to find any info that helps on here lol.

We’ve rented our SSR points several times, but never at SSR. At 7 months points are points. Our rentals have all been for larger units & lower DVC demand times - Feb, May, Aug. I personally would not buy Aulani to visit WDW.
Hi thanks for thoughts. Yeah that’s what I was thinking like you said points are points :) so sounds like renting them might be ok in your experience as well. Can I ask why you wouldn’t want aulani as a way to stay at WDW? (This is not sarcasm at all, just looking for any info I can get lol)

Hi thanks for thoughts. Yeah that’s what I was thinking like you said points are points :) so sounds like renting them might be ok in your experience as well. Can I ask why you wouldn’t want aulani as a way to stay at WDW? (This is not sarcasm at all, just looking for any info I can get lol)
Honestly, I like the security of knowing I have a room on property.

I’m not sure when you travel or what room size you need, but I prefer being able to book one of our home resorts & switch out depending on availabilty if we want.

With the number of points being dumped into the system I would not want to be in a situation where I want to go to WDW, and am trying to piece together a stay on property with very limited availability.

As a plus we really love both SSR & BCV, so staying at either is no hardship.

Heya thanks for the response, and stuff to consider!

I think we leaned that way with the price resale per point, but still relatively longer years on deed. Then when I compared the higher dues it seemed to be about a $30 a month difference. So I might have been looking at it the completely wrong way lol. In comparing I thought about animal kingdom but the fewer years kind of bummed me out.

We live in Oregon, so we’d be doing a rotation of WDW and DL (we only do the parks every other year, as it really helps keep the magic alive to wait long enough to get that itch again lol) Aulani might be an off year thing for us, so we kinda looked Aulani as a way to get enough points to afford a 1 bedroom for the 10 days or so we do in May in WDW (mainly cause I read in that predictions chart how 1 bedroom at 7 months you probably won’t have issues, but studios can be pretty hit and miss) , then get some aulani time, and if necessary rent out points on DL year and pay cash to stay at a different place. The more I type this out, the more I realize how overwhelming it all is lol.

But in WDW we aren’t that set on a place we HAVE to stay. We’d be more than happy to do another DVC resort every time. I’ve seen the “buy where you want to stay”stuff on here, but wasn’t sure if that really applied since we are open on that. Not sure if it all makes sense. But I’m trying for heavy reading to find any info that helps on here lol.

AT 7 MONTHS, ALL POINTS BECOME EQUAL!!

I certainly would not buy Aulani, unless that was really my preferred place to stay, AND I was actually going to stay there more than anywhere else.

Aulani availability tends to be good. So people who own at other resorts can usually get in there at 7 months, if they actually want to go to Aulani.

It sounds like you might be using your points a lot to rent out. You can rent out points from ANY resort, including from Aulani, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, SSR, OKW, etc. At the 7 month window it matters not a bit where they are from. They can be put on ANYTHING that is available, and there are plenty of people who are glad to rent points at 7 months so they can stay in a DVC unit.

If you want a nice place to stay once in a while, for a price that won't cost a lot more than SSR or OKW, then I strongly suggest you consider Animal Kingdom Villas. Gorgeous place. Fun to visit. Great restaurants. Not nearly as 'far away from everywhere else' as people seem to think. (On a different thread, I actually posted some expected travel times from each resort, and, surprisingly, Animal Kingdom came out towards the top of the list.) I know the contract ends sooner, and that is a consideration, but it still has a long time to run.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

Honestly, I like the security of knowing I have a room on property.

I’m not sure when you travel or what room size you need, but I prefer being able to book one of our home resorts & switch out depending on availabilty if we want.

With the number of points being dumped into the system I would not want to be in a situation where I want to go to WDW, and am trying to piece together a stay on property with very limited availability.

As a plus we really love both SSR & BCV, so staying at either is no hardship.
Good info thanks. Room types can fluctuate for us with me and the Mrs, and looking into a little one on the way, so studio would be fine, but also liked the flexibility of more room for when my parents come along too, etc. and I think that’s what made the amount of points we could get from aulani resale appealing. That and the info I was reading in the prediction charts that poster made, (so with those points we could do a 1 bedroom at 7 months, but have flexibility of a 2 bedroom if more family comes along etc) more off seasons is when we travel mostly, so like May, but September is good too. Studios I understand can be harder to piece together at 7 months, so I could potentially do that with a smaller contract, with home restore for studios, but lose some of the flexibility with less points as well) I’m probably mumbling sorry lol. I guess an option could be a smaller WDW contract that would be more points, but then another smaller one from aulani that would be cheaper, and could pool together at 7 month mark for that same flexibility but a little more money. But I could be missing something that makes that a not smart option lol.

AT 7 MONTHS, ALL POINTS BECOME EQUAL!!

I certainly would not buy Aulani, unless that was really my preferred place to stay, AND I was actually going to stay there more than anywhere else.

Aulani availability tends to be good. So people who own at other resorts can usually get in there at 7 months, if they actually want to go to Aulani.

It sounds like you might be using your points a lot to rent out. You can rent out points from ANY resort, including from Aulani, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, SSR, OKW, etc. At the 7 month window it matters not a bit where they are from. They can be put on ANYTHING that is available, and there are plenty of people who are glad to rent points at 7 months so they can stay in a DVC unit.

If you want a nice place to stay once in a while, for a price that won't cost a lot more than SSR or OKW, then I strongly suggest you consider Animal Kingdom Villas. Gorgeous place. Fun to visit. Great restaurants. Not nearly as 'far away from everywhere else' as people seem to think. (On a different thread, I actually posted some expected travel times from each resort, and, surprisingly, Animal Kingdom came out towards the top of the list.)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
Thank you the Info is greatly appreciated. Aulani might or might not be at least the equal place for how often we stay, based on our travel if that makes sense. Since we are looking to alternate WDW and DL , and do 2 years in between park visits. So aulani could be as much as say a WDW resort visit, and then rent out points the year we do DL cause I’m not even going to bother trying VGC lol.

I think that’s what made Aulani resale so appealing is all the flexibility it gives us with that many points (but the trade off being higher dues)

Thank you the Info is greatly appreciated. Aulani might or might not be at least the equal place for how often we stay, based on our travel if that makes sense. Since we are looking to alternate WDW and DL , and do 2 years in between park visits. So aulani could be as much as say a WDW resort visit, and then rent out points the year we do DL cause I’m not even going to bother trying VGC lol.

I think that’s what made Aulani resale so appealing is all the flexibility it gives us with that many points (but the trade off being higher dues)
Why not just buy half the points you need since you plan on every two years? Bank the year you don’t go & use both the current & banked points.

Why not just buy half the points you need since you plan on every two years? Bank the year you don’t go & use both the current & banked points.
I’m thinking about it. I’d still like the flexibility for when family goes too, but I might just have to crunch more numbers lol.

I am a proponent of the "buy the cheapest resort where you don't mind staying". I bought SSR and with the right amount of flexibility I've been able to book a lot of different resorts.
BUT
There are times when switching is difficult and even getting anything at WDW at 7 months can be a problem. Do you ever see yourself visiting for NYE or marathon week end? What if you cannot get anything at all? That's why buying Aulani to stay at WDW is a risky proposition.
I'm happy to know that for marathon week end I can book SSR which is a lovely resort, very convenient for DS, not expensive to buy in and cheap MF to pay over the life of the contract.

I am a proponent of the "buy the cheapest resort where you don't mind staying". I bought SSR and with the right amount of flexibility I've been able to book a lot of different resorts.
BUT
There are times when switching is difficult and even getting anything at WDW at 7 months can be a problem. Do you ever see yourself visiting for NYE or marathon week end? What if you cannot get anything at all? That's why buying Aulani to stay at WDW is a risky proposition.
I'm happy to know that for marathon week end I can book SSR which is a lovely resort, very convenient for DS, not expensive to buy in and cheap MF to pay over the life of the contract.
Thanks. The more I’m reading on it I might not have thought as much of the MF being a couple dollars more in some cases as Aulani, which over time might end up costing more with inflation, than just higher purchase price but less fees. This forum is awesome and super helpful!

We were debating this ourselves. We were deciding on a direct add-on during a recent cruise. The deal they were offering for Aulani was much better. They showed us the list of other current DVC members. There were about 10, with 9 of them adding on at Aulani. We decided to sleep on it. For the reasons listed on this forum, we went with Copper Creek. After we made the decision, I was really happy. I knew it was the right one for us.

Being on the west coast also, we thought about (and are still half-heartedly considering) a small contract at Aulani. We probably go to Hawaii as much as FL, given the distance. Ultimately we decided to buy first at WDW because we wanted to stay on the monorail and even walk to MK (our home is BLT). We don't want to stay in SSR or OKW, and at busy times the 7 month mark could potenrially leave us with those options. I don't know how many points you are looking for, but you might want to consider multiple smaller contracts to give you the home advantage. If you plan to frequent Aulani, the standard views go first and having the home advantage could save you some points.

Being on the west coast also, we thought about (and are still half-heartedly considering) a small contract at Aulani. We probably go to Hawaii as much as FL, given the distance. Ultimately we decided to buy first at WDW because we wanted to stay on the monorail and even walk to MK (our home is BLT). We don't want to stay in SSR or OKW, and at busy times the 7 month mark could potenrially leave us with those options. I don't know how many points you are looking for, but you might want to consider multiple smaller contracts to give you the home advantage. If you plan to frequent Aulani, the standard views go first and having the home advantage could save you some points.
Thank you! It’s good to hear from someone whose had to think about the same things we do being kinda in between Aulani and WDW. I’m gonna number crunch the differences with smaller contracts.

We were debating this ourselves. We were deciding on a direct add-on during a recent cruise. The deal they were offering for Aulani was much better. They showed us the list of other current DVC members. There were about 10, with 9 of them adding on at Aulani. We decided to sleep on it. For the reasons listed on this forum, we went with Copper Creek. After we made the decision, I was really happy. I knew it was the right one for us.
Thanks for info! It really might be the best route to go since Aulani doesn’t seem that difficult to get into even under 7 months it seems.

I will say it again, Disney has been selling Aulani for over 7 years, other resorts sell out in 3.
If it was a good deal, everyone would be buying there.
If Aulani gets hit with storm damage, you pay for repairs.
There is an Atlantis resort going in next door that will block some of the ocean view.

What DVC resorts have you stayed in? You stay that you aren't picky where you stay but I guarantee that you will have a favorite resort and probably need to buy there later.

I can't comment to the point of renting as I have never been the one renting out, but there are always people looking to rent points. The only time when you might have trouble renting your points at WDW would be between Oct - Dec.

Don't count out VGC. I have been tracking what is available at the 7 months mark. Granted I only started this month, but i have been very surprised that there is availability, usually of the 1 or 2 BR units and occasionally the studios. they are high point rooms, but you might be able to score a 1BR at the 7 month mark. I am sure VGC has its busier time, just not sure when that is.

I will say it again, Disney has been selling Aulani for over 7 years, other resorts sell out in 3.
If it was a good deal, everyone would be buying there.
If Aulani gets hit with storm damage, you pay for repairs.
There is an Atlantis resort going in next door that will block some of the ocean view.

What DVC resorts have you stayed in? You stay that you aren't picky where you stay but I guarantee that you will have a favorite resort and probably need to buy there later.

Roger that on the storm stuff for repairs I wasn’t aware of that. I started crunching some numbers and some similar point resale stuff on places like Polynesian pay more of front, but the fees kinda make up for that over the years it seems. Thanks for the info it’s helped me look into it a bit more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter