Are WDW parks really overflowing with trash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in a movie theater, is it my responsibility to report that an empty seat below me didnt take their trash out....even though someone literally cleans the theater between movies? If so, shouldnt I be compensated since I am doing the job the employee didnt?

Maybe they missed it...but isnt it the job of the supervisor to hire attentive people and also follow up behind them to make sure they are succeeding?

If they are too busy, doesnt that just say they need more people?

If they cant hire more people, doesnt that say they need to pay more money or offer more perks to achieve that?

Disney has the ability to pay pt custodial staff $25 an hour if they wanted to and it wouldnt really have a huge impact on the companies bottom like. They make a conscious choice to pay $14 an hour and their hand was forced to get to that level.

If they paid more they would get more staff and mpre dedicated staff and none of these issues would be happening.

I will ask you the same question I asked someone else earlier.

Do you work for Disney or do you have some insight others do not have on Disney's bottom line and as to how they could afford to pay part time custodial staff $25 dollars an hour. You state it would not hurt their bottom line,how do you know this?
As per one of my other posts here the contract negotiated by the unions shows a starting pay rate of $14 dollars an hour topping out at what appears to be just under $20 dollars an hour. It also looks like the starting pay will go to $15 dollars ah hour in October of this year.
I would think the unions negotiated with Disney to call back the cast members to come back first, would be the cast with the most senior time with Disney.
To me that would put a lot of cast possibly at the top of the scale.
They are also getting near the end of this contract so I would think the unions will be in negotiations for higher pay.

You also say more money would get more people and make their staff more dedicated and none of these issues would be happening, once again I ask you do you work for Disney or do you have some other information we may not be privileged to.

To say staff is not dedicated because of their pay in my opinion is wrong. Pay and benefits are important but people do not only do a great job because of the pay. I have met a lot of great, dedicated cast members over the years who did not come to work for Disney just for the money.

Of course this is just my opinion.
In the end we still have people seeing over flowing garbage cans in some of the parks.

The world knew very soon after the lockdown started that the virus was killed extremely quickly by the sun and warm air, i.e. outside in Florida.
Okay, not really the point, but yes.

The point was at the time people didn't know what to believe and stayed indoors for the most part. Whether or not that was the right thing to do is for another thread.

I know, I live in Florida.

Still alarming to read.
Seriously. there's a lot for the history books from the past year and a half......WDW has been open for nearly 50 years, look what has happened to the world in that timeframe, including an attack on our country, and the events of the past year and half are what closed so many things, including Disney World for 4 months, and Disneyland for more than a year....

I will ask you the same question I asked someone else earlier.

Do you work for Disney or do you have some insight others do not have on Disney's bottom line and as to how they could afford to pay part time custodial staff $25 dollars an hour. You state it would not hurt their bottom line,how do you know this?
As per one of my other posts here the contract negotiated by the unions shows a starting pay rate of $14 dollars an hour topping out at what appears to be just under $20 dollars an hour. It also looks like the starting pay will go to $15 dollars ah hour in October of this year.
I would think the unions negotiated with Disney to call back the cast members to come back first, would be the cast with the most senior time with Disney.
To me that would put a lot of cast possibly at the top of the scale.
They are also getting near the end of this contract so I would think the unions will be in negotiations for higher pay.

You also say more money would get more people and make their staff more dedicated and none of these issues would be happening, once again I ask you do you work for Disney or do you have some other information we may not be privileged to.

To say staff is not dedicated because of their pay in my opinion is wrong. Pay and benefits are important but people do not only do a great job because of the pay. I have met a lot of great, dedicated cast members over the years who did not come to work for Disney just for the money.

Of course this is just my opinion.
In the end we still have people seeing over flowing garbage cans in some of the parks.

You dont need inside info, its just math. If you pay 1000 people $10 an hour more, it would cost about $20 million over a year. Disney releases their financal data to the public, so its apparent they could absorb a $1billion dollar hit for salaries. $20 million is pocket change.

You will always get a higher caliber candidate when you offer more pay and benefits.

Saying...oh well I know some good people...well yeah there are always gonna be people who will do more for less, but right now thats obviously not the case.

They did say people would be called back... but instead of calling everyone back, they are working around it by relocating exisitng cast to different roles and hiring part time while full time sits at home.

The whole world was on lock down. Who was going to paint and what-not, the squirrels? Everything was halted.
I can see how a utility company would need to keep working. But that is not the same as a theme park. I know everything stopped in the city that I live in. It as like a ghost town except for the grocery stores and some fast food places. At least for those first few months.
What I'm tell you though is that it wasn't about the workers not wanting to work for fear of stuff related to covid (I'm sure some were apprehensive but it wasn't the situation you presented in your comments). Disney laid off all the construction people, that was their choice.

In my area new home construction continued, roofers don't get paid unless they have projects, painters don't get paid unless they have projects. Supply, especially later on, became the issue but not so in the beginning. If you talk with enough contractors and construction crews for the most part they didn't have the same situation as others. Universal continued to have things going on long after Disney did. That was their choice. Epic Universe was halted not because of worker concerns but rather such a big project financially didn't make as much sense to continue when it was so early on that they could stop for a while, a brand new theme park would have been very risk last Spring to continue construction on, but in their other parks they continued to do stuff.

Construction all over the world didn't stop, most, especially in the States, were considered essential and continued to work albeit with certain measures in place.

The point was at the time people didn't know what to believe and stayed indoors for the most part. Whether or not that was the right thing to do is for another thread.

Certainly around where I was, by law only essential workers were allowed to work. Read that again, only essential workers BY LAW were allowed to work. Everyone else was on a stay at home order. Painting a building, cleaning and cosmetic work was not essential (the integrity of the building was not in jeopardy). I am not sure about Florida, but in many parts, it was literally illegal to even hire out this kind of work. Having said that, I thought as some did. Like couldn't we hire one guy per outside wall? There is surely zero risk in that and would have gotten stuff done. one person can do quite a bit in 5 months. But <shrug> I don't make the rules.

You dont need inside info, its just math. If you pay 1000 people $10 an hour more, it would cost about $20 million over a year. Disney releases their financal data to the public, so its apparent they could absorb a $1billion dollar hit for salaries. $20 million is pocket change.

You will always get a higher caliber candidate when you offer more pay and benefits.

There is a truth to this with professional jobs, certainly. You get a lot more from a network engineer earning 200K vs one earning 60K. I often have to explain this to upper management.

When it comes to sanitation, I am not completely convinced. It's not like if you pay $20/hour, you get someone who picks up twice the trash. I am not convinced you get someone who cares more with a few extra dollars too. Taking pride in your work is a cultural thing. This is coming from a DVC owner who argued tooth and nail that I was more than willing to pay higher maintenance fees to see CM minimum wage raised to $15/hr. So I was completely for the bump up to $15.

I am not for randomly bumping up sanitation to $25. That's just getting silly.

Speaking from my own experiences, the CM's I have had the pleasure of dealing with since after WDW re-opened have been professional, kind, courteous, and wonderful.

Saying...oh well I know some good people...well yeah there are always gonna be people who will do more for less, but right now thats obviously not the case.

They did say people would be called back... but instead of calling everyone back, they are working around it by relocating exisitng cast to different roles and hiring part time while full time sits at home.

My original question still stands, do you work for Disney or have some inside knowledge the rest of us do not have.

The unions negotiated with Disney on how their members would be called back. I talked to front line cast when the recall started because I was staying at Disney at the time. I was told people did not want to come back at that time so they were passed by to give others a chance to come back to work. If they went through all the full timers first then the next would be part timers.

Last time I looked Disney has around 60,000 cast members in Florida. You cant just give one group of cast a raise without giving the rest the same or more. The unions would never allow it, the non contractual cast would want the same or threaten to join a union, also front line salary would have to get something.

So lets say Disney made everyone full time or close to full time hours
60,000(cast) x $10.00 an hour = $600,000 dollars an hour more for payroll.
$600,000 an hour x 8hr shift = $4,800,000
$4,800,000 x 240 days (the average a person might work in a year) = $11,52,000,000 per year.
This is of course if my math is correct. I could be way off.

You can't just fix the problem by throwing money at it.

In my area new home construction continued, roofers don't get paid unless they have projects, painters don't get paid unless they have projects. Supply, especially later on, became the issue but not so in the beginning. If you talk with enough contractors and construction crews for the most part they didn't have the same situation as others.

Construction all over the world didn't stop, most, especially in the States, were considered essential and continued to work albeit with certain measures in place.
Maybe in Kansas. But not in Florida, where WDW is located.

At least at first. Most construction came to a halt for the first few months. A lot of it due to worry of liability.

My original question still stands, do you work for Disney or have some inside knowledge the rest of us do not have.

Surely you have realized by now that the ability to use a web browser and navigate to a discussion board makes someone an expert in global company finances, union negotiation, labor laws, and marketing - not to mention gives them instant knowledge on how to run a company better than every CEO and Executive in the world?

As a side note and unrelated, it also makes them an expert in all legal matters, government, and medical advise.

Surely you have realized by now that the ability to use a web browser and navigate to a discussion board makes someone an expert in global company finances, union negotiation, labor laws, and marketing - not to mention gives them instant knowledge on how to run a company better than every CEO and Executive in the world?

As a side note and unrelated, it also makes them an expert in all legal matters, government, and medical advise.
Well yeah. Isn't that what the internet was made for? So people who have no clue what they are talking about and likely were C students in high school can discuss things they read a blog about once on facebook?

That and cat videos.

You can't just fix the problem by throwing money at it.

But charging guests more and offering less services fixes the problem?

Right now people arent applying at $14. 6 months from now, people arent going to apply at $14. Problem is an overall lack of labor. To get more labor, you need higher rates.

Alternate... invite less people to the parks and make less $.

Either a or b solve the problem.

Right now people arent applying at $14. 6 months from now, people arent going to apply at $14. Problem is an overall lack of labor. To get more labor, you need higher rates.

I for one would love to be a fly on the wall in the meeting where they present that “business case”….

“Hear me out….I know our competitors are removing their capacity caps and seeing unprecedented demand….but let’s explore allowing FEWER people in our parks and bonus: it’ll make us less money!” :rolleyes:

Because everyone knows the best way to run a business or to get back on your feet after a global pandemic is to implement strategies that will decrease your revenue:teacher:

1. No. But they have been raising prices and offering less for several years and people keep coming back.

2. I think it goes to $15 in 6 month, yes you need to offer not only more money but benefits. The money has to be realistic in light of what the company can afford and the members except in their contract. By the way $14 dollars is the starting pay it goes up from there to just under $20 dollars an hour.

3. Yes. Till Disney can fix it's labor problem. There has to be a balance. For all we know they could be working on solving the problem as we type this. Also the 50th is coming up fast. They better be ready.

The unions negotiate the contract with Disney. The cast members vote on it and if it passes that is what the have till the next contract.
They should be getting ready to negotiate a new contract soon. I doubt starting pay will go up very much. They should be negotiating for more full time cast jobs, that would make a big difference in my opinion.
I have also been told Disney considers 32 hr to be full time not sure how true this is. This could be a big part of the problem also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter