• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are WDW parks really overflowing with trash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people changing this topic from WDW's failing into guest responsibility to notify are missing the point that management is to blame.
I'm sorry, changing the topic? Are we not allowed to say what we would do or could do? You've said what you don't want to do, others have said what they would do including sending the photos off when they get home to guest services and others said they would do it in the moment. All is available to talk about.
This isn't a one off
Nope it isn't. I can't easily locate it but I'm positive like I mentioned in another comment Pete had a rant about this in like 2018 (maybe earlier). I feel like he took it to Twitter too. I'm pretty sure there was outrage back then but I also know memories fade sometimes very quickly.
"man if we just told a CM".
Well not saying anything is doing what exactly? Someone telling a CM in person in the moment is along the same vibe as sending photos off and an e-mail to guest services. One is done in person, in the moment, the other at a later date. If you (general you) prefer to do it later it's whatev, if you (general you) prefer to do it in the moment it's whatev. Generally things get handled better when it's in the moment (and most agree on the Boards about this in various topics like nuisance neighbors at hotels, park experiences, bus issues and more) but if you (general you) don't want to okay.
They're ignoring the pictures and saying we who see it should say something, completely absolving WDW from responsibility.
Who is they? Did I ignore the photos? Not at all. How did you come to that conclusion?

It's okay if you don't agree with me and I don't agree with you or others don't agree with you and you with others but the thread exists where people converse so no 1 thing has to be talked about, no one is ignoring photos unless they say "I'm not paying attention to the photos". You feel like it's equating to your job and therefore not going to do that, that however it a difference of opinion, one that is fine but it doesn't mean that others who feel differently are absolving WDW from their responsibility. Purely my opinion but I feel it's holding them accountable. Each and every time a guest comes up to them and tells them about it, each time a guest writes to them, it adds to it. Not saying anything IMO absolves them from responsibility because they don't have anyone pestering them about it. Disney may be about magic to a lot of people but trash doesn't magically disappear even if we wish it would :teeth:

Sure it's easy, but pictures and accounts here are multiple. The people changing this topic from WDW's failing into guest responsibility to notify are missing the point that management is to blame. This isn't a one off and "man if we just told a CM". This is happening enough that it's clearly management's fault.

It is obvious that they are understaffed. No one is denying that. People should complain to upper management. But that has nothing to do with whether or not to say something to a cast member to have someone come and fix the situation. Being understaffed is not the cast members fault and if they are off in another area working, they can be redirected. I agree that it is a failure on management, but I am not "above" helping a cast member out in this situation because I would appreciate it if someone informed me. That is the divide here. Some of you see it is "sticking it to Disney", while some of us seeing it as helping out a cast member who is probably overworked. I see nothing wrong with that.

They are related. If people can earn more elsewhere doing the same job for more money, then they aren't going to choose Disney. So Disney needs to ante up or they will never be able to staff to levels they need.

FWIW, in 2019 we went to Universal and Disney and CMs overall seemed happier and were more friendly at the Universal resorts and parks. The impression many Universal CMs gave was that Universal overall treats people much better than Disney and that is why they were there.

I noticed the change in friendliness as well. CS use to be a huge part of the experience but the last time I went everyone seemed really abrasive. Not many smiles, waves or small talk.

I am not saying that it is not an issue, we have been talking for 4-5 pages that it is an issue. That it is an issue was clear with the first post. There is no doubt about it being an issue. Nowhere am I saying that the poster of the garbage is the issue.

Now that it is established it is an issue, the next question is: is there anything you can do when you see it?

To me the answer is yes: report it to the nearest CM and if you want, add an additional message to guest services or post it on social media.

I am not saying go and clean it yourself.

When you see it in a queue, you pass at least 2 CMs, when you enter and exit the ride. It takes 2 seconds to mention it, I do not see it as a problem to do so.

I am not saying it is your responsibility and that you HAVE to. I do consider it a decent thing to do. Like saying someone has spinach between their teeth or hey your pantyhose is in your skirt. It can only improve the situation, it will never make it worse.
And I think it will diffuse some anger and frustration when mentioning it immediately. It is (partially) out of your system, when you mention it to someone who works there.

It is fine if people do not agree with me on this. We just have a different way of how to look at a problem, I prefer to address an issue immediately, others prefer to keep it with them till a later moment.
They're not saying it's a decent thing to do. They're ignoring the pictures and saying we who see it should say something, completely absolving WDW from responsibility.
See above, I said that a few pages ago.

And again, we (going to include myself and the others who have been saying the same things in this) are not ignoring the issue, we are not saying Disney is not at fault or has no responsibility. You want to read into this that we are Disney apologists. We are not.
You really can do both, see both the big and the small picture at the same time. You can blame management, the big guys, but in the mean time trying to make the world a little better in your own small circle of reach.

Compare it to solving poverity. You can get angry at Western Civilization suppressing third world countries, by hoarding all the money, sources, etc. But next to that, you can donate to charities who try to help. You can say 'the governments should solve that', but that doesn't mean, you should stand angry at the sideline.

I'm hoping things improve by November. I still remember all of the cigarette butts wherever we went in Copenhagen, including at the Tivoli amusement park where Walt got his inspiration for creating Disneyland.

I just saw some articles about other major companies (McDonald’s, Cheesecake Factory, White Castle, etc.) struggling to hire people and resorting to contacting people who applied years ago and who they rejected. These are mostly for the type of hourly jobs we’re talking about Disney being short-staffed on.

Just a datapoint that I think emphasizes the tough environment employers are facing right now.

I just saw some articles about other major companies (McDonald’s, Cheesecake Factory, White Castle, etc.) struggling to hire people and resorting to contacting people who applied years ago and who they rejected. These are mostly for the type of hourly jobs we’re talking about Disney being short-staffed on.

Just a datapoint that I think emphasizes the tough environment employers are facing right now.
It's a worldwide problem, we have a problem here in NL in restaurants getting staff as well. I read an article on the staffing problem in the UK the other day, hospitality jobs and drivers are understaffed there.

Everyone has seen that there are a. better jobs elsewhere, b. when lockdowns happen, it's better to have a fixed contract than working temp jobs or 0-hour contracts. c. you are practically a frontline worker. Not everyone wants that.

All these people saying "just let a CM know" are acting like the overflowing cans are hidden away in areas only accessed by guests.

Newsflash: THE CMs CAN SEE THE OVERFLOWING TRASH CANS TOO. There is nothing they can do about it.

Every single overflowing trash can I saw at DLR was within eyesight of either attraction or restaurant CMs. They know.

All these people saying "just let a CM know" are acting like the overflowing cans are hidden away in areas only accessed by guests.

Newsflash: THE CMs CAN SEE THE OVERFLOWING TRASH CANS TOO. There is nothing they can do about it.

Every single overflowing trash can I saw at DLR was within eyesight of either attraction or restaurant CMs. They know.

That was always my point- CM's are right there, who knows how many of them walk right past those trash cans. They see them. Why aren't they reporting them? I suspect it's because they know there isn't anyone who is going to be available to take care of it or they've been told not to report because higher ups already know they're stretched as thin as they can stretch and there's just no one to send. They'll get to them when they get to them.

Well a queue like a poster pasted in photos I wouldn't expect 100% always knowing. FWIW when I talk about my comments it's not because I'm thinking they are always unaware but there will be times they aren't. I know how it goes though too in that the issue isn't always paid attention to but it's better IMO than not doing anything if it's a big enough issue to me.

Granted my CM friend hasn't worked at DLR but per the conversation last night their advice is to let them know. Some things it won't matter how much flow of information happens ain't nothing going to be done about it, but that's not everything. So at least right now going off of what info I have and then a personal opinion, a CM who is advised about an issue will call the appropriate party. But be realistic about it too. You're going to see an overfilling trash can at some point, or trash on the ground, that's not new.

That was always my point- CM's are right there, who knows how many of them walk right past those trash cans. They see them. Why aren't they reporting them? I suspect it's because they know there isn't anyone who is going to be available to take care of it or they've been told not to report because higher ups already know they're stretched as thin as they can stretch and there's just no one to send. They'll get to them when they get to them.
I think it's really only an issue if someone has an issue with it, if that makes sense. Like if you're going to be upset or disappointed about it enough to take a picture, complain to Disney via an e-mail or in-person, etc. Majority of guests probably don't see it as a big enough issue to say something about it so pointing out an obvious that a CM may have just walked past it (and likely doesn't know the dos and don'ts that a particular CM has) is like a shrug moment.

In truth you don't know that they haven't reported it, some may choose not to, some may already have.

Sad to see it. It was so clean our last trip in 2016. Hope it gets back on track by our November trip. Disappointing to see trash piled up like that. To be expected at places like Six Flags but Disney? Yikes!

As long as the crowds and money keep pouring in, Disney won't change a thing. Their attitude is going to be, "Overflowing trash cans aren't keeping the paying customers away, so eh, we don't need to do anything about it. If guests complain we'll just blame the custodial staff."
Why not when a big contingent here blames the people who point it out and insinuate we're the bad guy because we won't tell a CM? Some people will defend WDW no matter what goes wrong.

it not just this thread...its thread after thread people will defend disney to no end, that is one of the reasons why prices are so high now, disney can do no wrong and people will pay whatever.
But was it happening in this thread? That's what I wonder.
It started with a picture with cans overflowing. Yes, that's bad. When someone who is at WDW now and posts that he/she didn't see anything, is that person an apologist?
When a discussion starts about what to do when you see it, notifying a CM or not, is that defending Disney for failing?

Why not when a big contingent here blames the people who point it out and insinuate we're the bad guy because we won't tell a CM? Some people will defend WDW no matter what goes wrong.
I've been reading this thread every now and then and I don't see what you're saying :confused3 I understand you disagree with people but you're now response after response ignoring what they have said (even after you said they ignored the trash cans). I say this in a nice way honestly but perhaps let it go :flower3::flower3:

Some people will defend WDW no matter what goes wrong.
I see you joined in last April and I'm not sure I've run into you yet with the exception of this thread so it may be why you are unfamiliar with my posts. I'm kinda by far a defender of WDW. One of the strangest things about this board is the "Disney Apologist" viewpoint and the way it is used. In this case about me you're wrong. People who have conversed with me know it's the good the bad the ugly with me, they also know I love Universal but dislike comparing in the sense of who is better or not. Just because I disagree with how you would personally handle a situation does not make me defend Disney or no matter what they do (still can't believe they did those MK tents :sad2: ). It means I offer a different opinion than yours. I cannot speak for others and how they feel but from the few posters I've seen and also conversed with often enough I don't count them as defenders of WDW either. Maybe this is a situation of just knowing posting styles? IDK. granted you could have been a DISer prior to your join date though :o

it not just this thread...its thread after thread people will defend disney to no end, that is one of the reasons why prices are so high now, disney can do no wrong and people will pay whatever.
I think the difference is when you talk about specific people vs generally. One is personal the other is well general. Are there people out there who think Disney can do no wrong? Yeah. But are those the same people who are being spoken about? From my knowledge of posting history no.

So I will respond to this one. I have been ignoring this thread for a few days now, but I am well known as a "diehard Disney defender" and have often stated myself that I will pay higher prices. However, I am pretty sure it was this very thread earlier on where I agreed with cakebaker which is a rarity that overflowing trash cans were not acceptable. We disagree on the root cause of the issue and the solution (not a shocker - if you do not agree on the cause, you will often not agree on the solution), but I never absolved Disney of the responsibility to provide a clean park. I merely explained what IN MY OPINION may be contributing factors to the cause.

And I will be more clear. I BELIEVE that the general public (that's you, me, and that person over there) bear SOME of the responsibility as well. That trash was generated. It was deposited. The mess was created. It was (or was not) reported. That does not absolve Disney of responsibility too. Believe it or not, there can be more than one responsible party!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter