Are we crazy to try to do Disney w/ a 4,3 and 3.5 mo. twins?

tracyc

Earning My Ears
We are planning on going Sept 38 for 6 nights. We're staying on Dh's reward pts at Doubletree Villas at Maingate. They have a full kitchen and a seperate br! I just found this board and I thought I'd ask the vets for some tips or even if we should try this at all. We're pretty laid back people and we are trying to make a plan, but also we'll stay flexible. One of my biggest concerns is getting around in the parks. I was planning on the lightweight (relatively) SBS twins stroller and also bring the baby bjorns so we can put wear them if my older guys want to ride. Does that sound ok or insane? Any other advice and tips is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tracy

I hate to be negative, but two adults, with two three-month olds and two preschoolers sounds like the recipe for disaster. I guess if you were getting a totally free trip, and planned for one adult to take the two older children while the other adult stayed at the motel with the babies it might be fun for those who got out, but taking two infants into the parks IS crazy, in my humble opinion.

This is from a woman who took a 23 month old and an eight year old by herself a few years back, so I am not afraid of a challenge. (BTW, we had a blast) The babies will be hot and miserable and mom and dad will get miserable and the older ones will be upset that they are restricted and their parents are in bad moods and......

Like I said, if you plan on splitting up, then it might be a positive experience for the kids and whichever parent goes out, but the whole crew -- nope, I wouldn't try that. Good luck!

ok, points taken. We'll give it a go, but we'll be prepared to have one of us stay at the villa w/ the twins if necessary. I think we'll end up bring 2 dbl strollers though. I have read some of thte tips on keeping babies cool too. thanks for the feedback.
tracyc

Two double strollers! Have you guys been there before? I can only imagine trying to wind your way through the parks with two double strollers. (I used one stroller for part of one day and got tired of the dirty looks and hassles in getting around.) I'm not trying to be ugly, but bless your heart, I just am getting very maternal about this and picturing the worst. :earseek:

Obviously, you are going regardless of whether we think you're crazy, right? :)

So instead of focusing on whether or not to go, let's see how we can help you, ok?

First, will you have a car? I think trying to use hotel transport with 2 little-ones and 2 babies and 2 double-strollers will quickly put you in the stress zone.

How long are you staying? If you will be in the area for a good amount of time, you can plan very leisurely days, touring the parks for only 3 or 4 hours a day if need-be.

Have you been before?
Do you plan to go again?
These questions will just help you plan the things you really want to see, I mean if you go to WDW yearly, what you miss this time you can see the next.

I think bringing your baby bjorn carriers is a must, they are great for waiting in lines, most rides the baby can stay in the carrier. They also offer a change of scenery from the stroller. My 5 month old would sleep in the carrier as we toured.

I wouldn't worry too too much about the heat at the end of September, it will still be hot, but unless you hit a heat wave, shouldn't be unbearable. Take lots of breaks in the air conditioned shops.

The crowds should be light so you should be able to see a lot in a small amount of time.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, just take it easy...very easy, and have fun

Well yes, we're going to try it! We've never been before except back when we were both kids! We are going to drive and I am sure we'll be visiting again in another year or so. We live in Atlanta and have dear friends in Orlando and visit several times a year, we just hadn't tried to do the parks. Maybe we should just take a stroller for the babies, and the bjorns and just rent one if we need one for the older boys. We are certainly planning on taking it easy and we are of the mindset that this is for the kids so we will not be pushing them to go go go. As far as the dirty looks, well jeez I guess well have to put our x-tra thick skins on in the morning! With the twins we get tons of comments and looks anyway, everything from "ooh how sweet" to "you poor poor schmucks." That being said, what things should we at least try to see first? Should we just start in Fantasyland and see what we can get through? What about in the other parks? We are not going to try any of the "big kid" rides.
Thanks!

I think you should go and have a fun. Take 2 double strollers. Its easier to have your own. the babies will sleep in the strollers alot of the time at that age. One parent can sit by the ride while the other takes the older ones on the ride then switch off. Some things like the train and TTL will be great for everyone. I have 5 year old twins and a 2 year old. We went when the twins were 3 and the baby 4 months and it was fine. Just be organized and pace yourself - it could be a fine trip! Ignore the looks - who cares your at Disney world!!

I guess you've already decided but from what I've witnessed with my own family I would advise against it. GOOD LUCK :)

That's great bonus that you will have your own car!

I'll bet the babies will be easier to handle than the older ones...they'll just go with the flow!

The older ones will love Fantasyland and Toontown. I'll bet you'll spend lots of time in MK!

Then MGM has the shows they'd love like Playhouse Disney, Ariel, and Beauty and the Beast.

Lots of things you can leave the babies in their strollers sleeping and one of you can bring the older ones to and take turns.

If you're really brave enough you can also try parent swap for a couple of the Big rides.

Just take it easy and go with the flow and I'm SURE you will have a magical time. Wait till your two older ones see Main Street at MK for the first time! It's Magical!;)

I think you already have the two main keys to help this be a good trip. Laid back and flexable. As long as you go with the attidude that we are just there to have a good time, keep everyone safe and happy and not try to get our money's worth you will be fine. You do it at home, often with just one parent I bet. Here it will be both of you. Understand that you and DH will not get to see much of what you want this trip and just consentrate on the little ones.You could play this trip up to the older ones as a gift for being such great big brother or sisters.
Taking the twin stroller is a must. You however also have the option of renting a second double stroller in the parks if you find that the twins do better in the stroller than the carriers. You will know your twins better by the trip also. Most babies love the carriers but my DS hated it. Loved the stroller.
Crowds should be low. I still recomend hitting all the parks if time and your passes allow. There is something in all the parks for everyone.

I would only not go if the twins were premature and have some of the related issues or if they are very high demand babies. Bet you will make some wonderful memories.

Jordan's mom

from mine. This makes me think about before I had my daughter and I envisioned being off work for a few months, doing things like tending to my roses while she cooed nearby on a blanket. That was NOT the usual routine. We had a few weeks of "colic" then she immediately went into the "don't restrain me, I am easily bored, I sleep only at night so I am to explore nonstop during the day" routine. Waiting in a hot, humid line (barring some unusual weather pattern it WILL be hot and humid in Florida in late September--if you're in Atlanta you know) without screaming and a rash might happen once or twice, but the odds seem against it. And I never understand how infants can be in the sun for that long -- my pediatrician said sunscreen was not good for children that young and no form of hat/umbrella will protect them sufficiently for days of being outside. Like Epcotfan, I just can't imagine it working, particularly being offsite. Any possibility for someone to go to tend to babies so you can see the older ones reactions to the magic of Disney? Or any chance to postpone for a few months? I still wish you much luck!

If you have good friends in Orlando - invite them along - especially if they don't have little kids. Or invite along your parents - anything to make the child to adult ratio a little more sane.

We took our two and three year old down last year - and it was fun, but exhausting. What saved us was after two full days, my parents came down and stayed for three days - gave us a break from all the lifting, carrying, chasing we were doing. Then they left and we still had another day of just family. I think I'd have lost it had they not come along.

Small kids (your 4 and 3 year old) can disappear in a crowd and get seperated from you in the blink of an eye. We put our kids on toddler leashes - the occational dirty look, but most of that would go away when my husband handed me the SECOND leash.

It's funny to see how people respond. YES, your hands will be full...with a 4, a 3 and infant twins, your hands will always be full LOL. But 2 adults can handle 4 children safely and have fun at the same time. Your family is what it is...will you never go on vacation? (It will be even crazier when the twins are crawling or walking *lol*)

Here's my suggestions -

1. Watch the heat with the babes, but hopefully Sept won't be too bad.

2. You WILL NEED to double strollers. Since you will have a car/mini-van, I suggest bringing your own. It will be useful travelling from the parking lots to the parks. One parent pushes one stroller and another pushes the other - no problem!

3. Bring 2 baby bjorns!

4. Have a very relaxed *schedule* and make sure everyone gets enough rest (best you can with infants ;) anyhow). I mean sleep in in the am, and either take afternoon breaks or call it quits early in the evening and just come back and swim.

5. Plan sit down meals or eat at your suite. Counter meals can be challenging with a bunch of little ones in tow. Buffets are good because you can get food right away for the little ones, but it's still a sit down atmosphere.

The part I would think is most difficult would be using the bus system (getting 4 kids on and off, not enough seat sometimes, collapsing 2 strollers quickly, carrying strollers on and off...at least with your own vehicle, you are not rushed by others waiting to get on or off the bus).

I do plenty by myself...I take 3 kids everywhere, grocery shopping, to Gymboree activity classes, to the zoo for the day, to the lake for the day, whatever...I have a 6 month old infant, a 2 year old and 3 year old...and we go where we want, with just me. It's safe and fun...

Oh, here's one packing tip: I pack each complete outfit in a zip lock bag (underpants or diaper, socks, top, shorts). I can count the bags for each child and know for sure we have enough changes of clothes. Then in the am, I give the older child one packages - she knows to put on everything in the bag. I give one pacakge to my DH to put on one little one while I dress another. This way there's no searching for matching socks or clean underpants or none of my kids end up dressed in mis-matched clothing combos sadly selected by my DH. And the zip locks come in handy for dsiposing of poopy diapers later!

Go and enjoy -- I'm glad your DH will be ther to help.

PS...I've done Disney, 6 months pregnant with an energetic 18 month old (DH left us alone for part of the trip when he had to fly home for a business meeting), and I've done Disney, very newly pregnant (read tired), with an 7 month old and a 2 1/2 year old, and I can't wait to do Disney again with my 6 month old, 2 year old and 3 year old -- (just glad I'm not pregnant this time ;)

Have fun!

Just my opinion also, but I think it is very doable so long as you realize the adults may not be able to do all the stuff that you may want to do. I agree with whoever said that the babies may be the easiest kids. At that age, with each of my kids, we could go to movies, dinner, etc and they would sleep. Last yr, my kids were 6, 4, and 18 mths and we had such a great time we are going again in March. I wouldn't hesitate to bring babies because I would be fine with heading back to the hotel or sitting out rides with a baby (did it many times last fall). You will have a great time! Look for the wonderful baby stations. My then 18 mth old loved the one at Epcot. It had places to nurse, buy baby food, baby toys, high chairs, changing tables, etc, all in AC with tv for me to watch while the baby and I rested, nursed and rejuvenated. We had walkie talkie things that helped a lot since we separated quite a lot. Have a great time.

Snow White Rabbit - I love your zip-lock outfit idea! That's great! Thank you.

TracyC - I hope you, DH, and the kids have an awesome time!
Baby Bjorns are awesome for touring. And if your babes are like mine, they loved being carried that way! I think you also have the right flexible attitude to make it work. I think the big villa will help too as well as driving right to each park.

Best wishes!
Gi

Since you plan to focus on Fantasyland and Toontown, be sure to GET THERE AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE!!! When we were there a few weeks ago (beginning of the off-season), the rest of the parks appeared deserted at 11:00 am, but those two "lands" were absolutely mobbed - it was like freeway traffic during rush hour. We had no strollers and still found it difficult to get through. Then the kids took one look at the lines and refused to even go on the rides. Your best bet is to get to MK by 8:30 - standing in line at the gate will save you a TON of time in line later - and make a beeline to Fantasyland as soon as MK opens. Try to get all of those rides under your belts and then hit Toontown. By the time gridlock starts to form, you'll have seen most of the attractions and will probably be ready to leave and rest anyway. If attendance is low this won't be a big deal, but I'd rather be prepared for the worst case. Good luck!

Lori

Two strollers is a must. All that walking for the older ones will be too much. Plus, if they're in the stroller, you don't have to worry about someone wandering off.

I have twin dds who are now 8. They were 2 the first time we took them. Took their younger sister to DL at 4 mos when they were 3, then all of them the following year to WDW. Took our side by side and our single stroller. Wasn't a problem.

Know what you mean about the comments - I heard everything from "were you on fertility drugs?" to "are you nursing them?" or the best was the women who argued with my DH that they weren't twins! BTW - they're identical! Get used to it, because we still get looks and comments!

Have a great trip!

Definitely go and enjoy!!!! I like traveling with a little one - they really help you to "stop and smell the roses"!!

Fantasyland was definitely a favorite for my kids when they were younger! We rode the horsies many, many times. My youngest loves Winnie the Pooh and Buzz Lightyear.

Take your breaks - and when the kids are sleeping, just a walk through a gift shop will cool them fine. I always shopped while my kids slept in the stroller.

With the right mind set, you will have a great time, and once you get back, I know you'll be busy planning your NEXT trip!!!!

Have fun!

LLP479...Lol at the comments.... I've had people ask if my 2 year old and my 6 month old were tiwns (I think because they were in the double stroller together! LOL).

We'lll take a double stroller and a single stroller for our crew...almost 4, just 2, and a solid 8 months, on this upcoming trip. Can't wait! We use the Combit Travel Savvy strollers because they are so light weight and fold up so compact-ly.

People are funny!!
:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter