Are we crazy to try to do Disney w/ a 4,3 and 3.5 mo. twins?

tracy
You will be surprised how many rides you can take the babies on. I was there in January with my 8,6, and 3.5 month old. We had the best time. The baby was great. We never had to go back to the room because he just slept in the stroller all day. One hint for keeping them out of the sun... take some light weight blankets and hang one from the canopy down over the front of the stroller. We did this and it kept the sun from beating down on the baby ( it was in the 80's when we were there in january). Take advantage of the baby centers. You can change, feed, nurse, sit, use the kitchen and bathrooms in them. they are air conditioned too!! They were awesome. They also sell just about anything you would need!
Back to the riding, we took the baby on every ride that didnt have a height restriction! It will also work when you or DH are staying with the babies, that the other one can ride with the other 2. You can almost always fit 3 people in a seat on the rides in MK!! I WOULDNT get up at the crack of dawn to get to MK to beat any crowds. I got up first, got ready and let the kids sleep. Then I got the kids up, went to eat breakfast and went at a slower pace. I personally think its better not to get little ones up that early and get them to the park by 8. You will have much happier kids if you let them sleep a little longer. Try riding dumbo and other popular fantasyland rides during the afternoon parade, and the fireworks. The afternoon parade starts in frontier/adventure land. Try watching it there and as soon as its over for you, get to fantasyland asap. It takes 20 minutes for the parade to get to main street from where it starts. So if you dont want to miss the parade, you can at least beat most of the crowds back to dumbo!!

The last time we took my nephew he was 3, so he wasn't a baby. But I took one of those battery powered clip on fans and clipped it to his stroller. He loved it. This would help keep the babies cool, especially under a blanket draped over the canopy of the stroller. I recently saw these fans at Walmart and at Kmart.
Have a great trip!

We went last year with our 4, 3 and 4 month old children. They all had a great time, on different levels. We're going back after Christmas with our now 5, 4 and 1 year olds.

As for dirty looks, where do these people think they are? The Louvre? Come on, it's Disney World for crying out loud!

The vast majority of rides (with the obvious exceptions like SM, etc.) are just fine for infants. Our 4 month old did most of the rides in Fantasy land, PoC, Haunted Mansion, Buzz, you name it. If they are quiet, shows like Country Bears and Tiki room are good for little ones too. Here is where I would try to be respectful of others and amscray if the tykes get vocal.

Some suggestions. Plenty of outfits. Sometimes for the parents. I took our little nipper on the Cinderella carousel. He had a major diaper blowout on my lap. I spent the next 45 minutes trying to track down a pair of shorts for myself that were under $75. I ended up having to find a restroom and wash out my shorts and walk around in damp drawers all day. And I still had a good time!

Also, be sure to take breaks. Go back to the hotel and relax. Let the kids cool down and rest. That said, we did one marathon day at MK (right up to a late Spectro show and fireworks) and the kids did just fine taking naps in the stroller. It was a bit overcast that day so the sun wasn't too bad.

If you sense an impending meltdown, don't try to forge on. You're on vacation!

Finally, go for the right reasons. At these ages, your kids simply can't do it all. If you want to enjoy yourself, take it easy, and don't try to do too much. The kids will have a great time doing a few rides and taking in the sights.

Tracy ~

Go and have a GREAT time!!!

During our first family trip in January 2001, our kids were 10, 4, 3 (TWINS!), and 7 months. We took one triple stroller that trip and our 4 yr old walked most of the time but due to the configuration of the stroller, we could lay the back seat down and he could sit down with his legs straight out and hold the baby on his lap when he got tired. During that trip, we had pretty short days... arriving at 9 or 10 and leaving by 4 or 5 but it was so worth it to see the expressions on their faces! There are a lot of ''family" rides and attractions that you will all be able to do. Put the twins in the Baby Bjorns and do them as a family! ;) You'll find on many things, there is no reason for one parent to have to wait with the babies.

We went back again in February/March 2002 and will be back again this month! We've always had so much fun with our little ones!

Don't let anyone discourage you! If you want to do it, go for it!!! We've never had any dirty looks or anything mentioned in the previous posts... it' surprising to me that people are suggesting you don't go. :confused: You will defintiely have fun no matter what, I'm sure! Good luck!

~ Angie
Very Proud "MommyTo5"

Drewc,
You're reply was very amusing to read...the Louvre ... amskray... LOL Welcome to the boards. I look forward to reading more of your posts...You must be pretty fun to travel with! LOL

Oh, and one time (not at WDW fortunately) one of our little ones had such a blow out that we had to cut her outfit off of her (no lifting it over her head!) and just throw it out...Glad you could keep your shorts.

Anyhow, TTFN.

I am a mother of four. At one time they were 4, 3, 1 and nb. I used to grocery shop with the 4yr old in the back of the cart, 3 yr old in front seat of cart, 1 in backpack carrier and nb in snuggly. Yes I got stares and the usual comments the YOU probably get. Anything can be done with the right attitude. Love your children, be flexible, lower your expectations and prepare as much as possible. Be considerate of others but don't worry if others are bent out of shape. Disney World is for FAMILIES. You probably already deal with the issues you'll deal with there just when you go shopping or go about your day. I HAVE learned that everything takes longer on vacation with children. For example to get up, have breakfast, dress and get out the door will take even longer than it does at home. Know that ahead and stay laid back and enjoy!
:D

SnoWhiteRabbit.....

I got a chuckle about being asked if your kids were twins, and wanted to share this........

this summer I was asked by an older woman if my three kids were triplets. At that time, they were 10, 7 1/2 and 5 (and all look their ages, I might add). I guess I must have looked pretty surprised, because the woman said "well, they look alike". I just couldn't believe it!

Julia

Wow everyone! Thanks for the replies. I am so glad to have rec'd some positive ones. I guess my thread title was a little misleading bc we are definately going, even if you think we're crazy! I have these kiddos every day, so dealing with them is something I am used to. I know that a vacation is a different matter, but like someone posted, this is our life and what are we going to do, never go on a family vacation? I would think the Best place to go on a family vacation w/ kids would be Disney World! We are going to just go with the flow. We knew in advance that there is no way we would ever be able to "do it all". Thanks for the tips on what not to miss with the kids and the strategies for the babies. BTW, we are quite immune to the looks. My Dh and I are only 27 and 28 (and look even younger we're told), we have been getting those looks ever since DS #1 was born! I'll be sure to give a trip report when we return.

Thanks,
Tracy:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter