Are you a matchy-matchy family?

I can NOT imagine this level of control - handing other people their assigned outfits for the day? I am amazed this happens. I tell my family to pack what they want, I advise them to pack their most comfortable clothes and then on we go. :rotfl2:

My thoughts exactly. I can’t imagine telling my daughter even at age 5 what I think she should wear-it is vacation, relax.

In complete, 110% honestly I have never packed for a trip with a thought of clashing with whatever shirt my husband is wearing. And I'm 120% sure HE never has! And I've never looked at a photo of us and though "huh, if only we had a theme or a color scheme this would be a better photo".
We have, upon getting dressed and realizing we are accidently wearing the same color shirt, changed to avoid looking like we matched on purpose :rotfl2:

You. You are my people.

LOL, absolutely not. That’s a battle I’m not willing to fight, and would totally lose anyway. But I do think it’s kind of cute when I see families in the parks that are doing it.

We're a family that matches. It came in handy 4-5 yrs ago when my nephew disappeared at EPCOT. When Security asked what he was wearing, I pointed to my son and said, that shirt and the same color shorts. He was able to radio that out to the team searching. I will say my husband announced for our last trip that he was ready for an "I don't do matching shirts" shirt. I happily obliged that request. For the rest of the trip, he at least had a similar color/theme (ie Star Wars for HS).

My family matched when I was growing up but it was based on clothing restrictions and our religion and not because we wanted to look alike.

We have worn matching shirts twice (two different vacations). The first one was celebrating oldest DD's fifth(?) birthday. There were a total of eight people in our travelling party, so DD had a picture of Snow White on her shirt, the other seven all had dwarves. On the back were the person's name and the date.

The other one was a spoof of the Phineas and Ferb logo with "I know what we're doing this summer" or something like that.

Just a few times, but when we did I loved it. Way back when, we'd wear similar colors, but a few times, had matching themes/designs. had matching Inside out shirts, and once, matching Star Wars Rebels shirts. Ordered Mandalorian shirts for last trip, they were exactly the same...and they arrived at house 2 hours after we left! Last trip, DD and I wore matching sweatshirts when we visited all the resorts at Christmas. Anyway, we didn't do it often, but when we did, I thought it was super fun, and made for fun pictures!

Sort of. A few years ago we had a big blowout vacation to the Bahamas, and I wanted to do something special since it was to celebrate our DD's high school graduation. So I had an Etsy artist make a logo for the trip and put it on five shirts, each a different color. I liked it so much, I made another set of shirts. Then baseball jerseys. And wristbands. And glasses cleaning cloths. And pens. And, uh, lots of other things. I kind of went a little nuts. Everyone rolled their eyes and groaned and complained when I handed them out, and told them which days we had to wear our matching shirts on (it was a 7-day trip, with 3 "shirt" days).

But you know what? It was a big hit. Everybody at the resort commented on it, the employees all thought it was hilarious, and it kind of brought us together on the trip in a way that nothing else really could. This was with two teenagers and a boyfriend (now husband), mind you. It really made the boyfriend feel like part of the family, instead of this dangling hanger-on, and despite being way out of his comfort zone jumped in with both feet. You might say "it's not you" but as your children turn into adults, and new members join your family, it's nice to have something like that to help bring everybody together.

Now when we take "big" vacations, there's always a custom logo for that trip and everyone gets shirts with the logo in "their" color. We've since had a girlfriend/fiancee join us, and it has the same effect: there's something about getting "team gear" that helps them integrate into the group quicker and better than just saying "we're glad you're here." Teams wear jerseys for a reason, after all! And the group photos, as many have said, are awesome. And after a couple days, if you're alone walking around in your logo gear, you inevitably get a couple questions from other families or employees about your shirt, and you see people saying "there goes one of those Hulapalooza people!" It's like being a mini-celebrity.

So, don't knock it 'til you've tried it. You're on vacation, and you don't have to look "cool" to everybody. Look dorky, and let them make fun of you, and remember that you're not here with all of those other people - you're here with the rest of your team. That being said, I don't know that every day makes sense - I always leave a little more than half the days for everybody to wear whatever and express their individuality.

I thought it would be cute/fun to have family shirts for our next trip. I wasn't going to make everyone wear the same color shirt but the same design. I know a lot of families do this and my Son-in-law said he'd join in on the picture but doesn't want to wear the shirt all day. I think a family picture would be super!
Instead of "Matching" we often do themes. One day we might all wear A Star Wars theme tshirt, another day we all wear tie dye, but they are different colors, another day we might all wear a Mickey Shirt.

NO!!! DW once suggested we wear matching Disney themed T-shirts and same color shorts in the parks.

Nope. Not gonna do it. Don't ask again. End of discussion. Period.

And not just at Diznee. The sight of couples anywhere in matching clothes makes me want to hurl.

No. It’s just not us and most of the times it seems forced and phony

My sister and I spend a lot of time together before our trips figuring out shirt designs and then making them. We laugh and carry on like kids while we're doing the project, and for us it adds to the fun of the trip planning. I can see where a lot of people might not like matching clothes for whatever reason. They could feel forced into it and like it's phony. But don't paint us all with the same brush, please. Some of us are wearing matching t-shirts for the excitement of the trip. Our 'Sisters Trips' are special to us, and the t-shirts commemorate that.

My sister and I spend a lot of time together before our trips figuring out shirt designs and then making them. We laugh and carry on like kids while we're doing the project, and for us it adds to the fun of the trip planning. I can see where a lot of people might not like matching clothes for whatever reason. They could feel forced into it and like it's phony. But don't paint us all with the same brush, please. Some of us are wearing matching t-shirts for the excitement of the trip. Our 'Sisters Trips' are special to us, and the t-shirts commemorate that.
Wow. Way to take it as an attack. Gotta love the dis. Everything is personal.

Wow. Way to take it as an attack. Gotta love the dis. Everything is personal.

Um. I wasn't attacking you nor did I feel attacked. In fact, I *agreed* somewhat with your viewpoint in my post, and then went on to describe my own experience. I quoted you specifically to post that I understood your opinion, but that it's not the only possible opinion. I even said 'please.'

I can NOT imagine this level of control - handing other people their assigned outfits for the day? I am amazed this happens. I tell my family to pack what they want, I advise them to pack their most comfortable clothes and then on we go. :rotfl2:

You call it control
I call it organization
My family respects my reason for it and agrees that the pictures look nice because of it, therefore no one gave me a hard time because of it.

My mom made most of the clothes for my sister and I so sometimes they matched exactly and sometimes we would have different styles made from the same fabric. She did that until I went to middle school and then we didn’t match anymore. We were far enough apart in age that we didn’t usually wear the matching things at the same time unless it was on vacation where we had more limited clothing choices, or for Easter when the matching was deliberate. I am sure it was due to getting good deals on fabric by buying a larger amount. Mom and Dad never coordinated with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter