Are you an 'on property' or a 'good neighbor'?

Great topic, Emmers! Here is the thing for me - technically, I do NOT have the money to stay on-property and should never even consider it, really, but I cannot imagine staying offsite because the DLR hotels are truly part of the whole Disney experience for me. When I envision going to DLR in my mind, I always think of staying in one of the hotels - it is all part of the package for me. I am one of those who likes to be immersed in the magic from the second I step out of the car to when I load my bags back in the car to go home. I like walking up to the Check-In desks and getting my Key to the Magic with my name on it. I like getting the bright pink Goofy folder (it used to be pink, anyway) with my paperwork and hotel brochures inside. I like walking into the room and seeing the fun bath products with Mickey heads waiting for me in the bathroom. I like knowing that we may encounter a Hidden Mickey anywhere we go on the grounds of the hotel. I like having access to MM, being able to use the GCH entrance into DCA and being able to send any purchases back to the room so I don't have to schlep them around or get a costly locker. I like knowing that even if we take a break from the parks mid-afternoon and go back to the hotel to rest, we will still be "in the magic" the whole time. I like waking up on the morning of check-out and opening the final bill slid under the door to see if they have offered me an extra night's stay at a discounted price! I just love that everything 'feels' very Disney en route to or from the DLR hotels, everywhere you look.

That is not to say that I won't eventually take advantage of a great HoJo's rate or something, because I probably will given my finances, but since I get to DLR only a couple of weekends a year (though this year could be more than that), I want to make it special and staying at any one of the 3 hotels is key to the whole thing for me. If I were to go to DLR many, many times a year, I have a feeling HoJo's would be new best friend! If I had kids and I had to think about buying more souvenirs and paying for extra food, it would be a different story. If I lived right down the street from DLR, I probably wouldn't bother with a hotel at all because I would be there so often.

But the bottom line is, it feels more 'vacation-like' to me when there is a DLR hotel stay involved. My friend (who DOES live 5 minutes down the street from DLR but does not have an AP) was asked once, while we were standing in line for POTC and chatting with the nice couple behind us, why she would want to stay at any hotel when she could just drive down the street and go home. Her answer to him was, "It makes it like more of a vacation when I stay at the hotel. It makes it seem like I am somewhere else other than 5 minutes from my home." That was a good answer, I thought, because ultimately, a trip to DLR (for me) is meant to kind of transport me to another time, place, world, land, etc. I don't want to feel that the real world is just outside the door, and since DLR is not as expansive as WDW, the closest thing I can get to being totally immersed in the Disney experience at DLR is to stay onsite.:goodvibes

Ok, I'm still stuck on this! 5 minutes away and does not have an AP? :eek: I would be there ALL the time! :rotfl:

I agree. It baffles me too. She thinks, "Well, I can't go by myself to DLR," and so she doesn't have an AP. I am more independent and used to doing a lot of things alone, so if I lived where she lives - and she is close enough to be disturbed by the fireworks every night - I would be there every weekend, I am sure. Couple of hours here, couple of hours there, and then a few bigger trips with friends for holidays. I should be living where my friend lives in Anaheim!

Def. a Good Neighbor. The first time I went I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, but the room was paid for by a friend who got military discount. Now that I have to pay for it (NO FUN!) def. a good neighbor. I've stayed at the Fairfield the past few times I've been there and it's just as convenient. This time we're thinking of trying the Hilton Anaheim as the Advanced Purchase rates are quite good, the only issue is that we don't know how far it is to walk. But def. good neighbor for me.

Is this a good time to admit that it bothers the SNOT out of me that I typed "a" on property?

I've noticed it since I pushed submit. It it still bothers me. I KNOW ENGLISH!

We have done both. Fairfield Inn and HOJO. Then a few weeks ago we finally stayed on property at DL Hotel. We usually stay on property at WDW.

Here is my take:
If you stay offsite then the parks are what it is all about. Sometimes commando, alot of McDonalds, and too much outside world for me (homeless, buses, crossing the busy street of Harbor Blvd, etc.)

Onsite gives you a more resort, vacation feel. At DL hotel you have dining places, elaborate pool, extra pool, more lush landscaping, waterfalls, koi ponds, close to the movie theater if you wish, disney views, etc.

When I stay onsite I don't go commando as much. The extras come into play more often.

Just my two cents.

I will always prefer on-site but wouldn't hesitate to stay at Hojo's again if the budget dictated,

Is this a good time to admit that it bothers the SNOT out of me that I typed "a" on property?

:lmao: I am the same way. I will go back and fix little spelling errors and typos if I catch them before anyone has replied. :)

I didn't even notice (which I almost spelled "knowtice" just now).

You can hit "edit" then "go advanced" and then change the title. :)

LOL I didn't notice either (which I almost misspelled because Molly posted that too LOL) but you can just edit the title. :)

I miss spell all the time, Im dyslexic. and Im not anal about any one else's spelling since I spell so badly :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'd stay on-site all the time if possible. I love the DLH. Tried the HoJo a couple of times, and I think I'm just a bit of a hotel snob to like it too much. We use Priceline to get the Crowne Plaza and the Hyatt for around $40 most often. Aside from parking fees, they work perfectly for us.

oh SWEET I didn't know you could edit titles LOL

I'm glad no one noticed (I'm SURE someone did they're just being nice LOL)

I've only stayed on property once, when FIL treated us to a couple nights at the GCH. That was SO nice! With the price difference, though, I just can't justify the cost at this point. Some day I'd like to try the Disneyland Hotel and/or Paradise Pier if I can get a sweet deal. Typically though, we stay off property. We've stayed in the Garden Grove area twice and on Harbor a few times. I prefer the close walking distance of the Harbor hotels. We will be staying at the Desert Inn and Suites for the first time in July. :-)

...ultimately, a trip to DLR (for me) is meant to kind of transport me to another time, place, world, land, etc. I don't want to feel that the real world is just outside the door...

Very well put! Thank you Sherry :)

We stay on-site, DLH or if we can swing it, the GCH. The 1st night of our trip we usually book a room through Priceline's name-your-own-price deal. For me, leaving the resort to return to an off-site hotel breaks the magic spell so we make every effort to book our reservations when the resort hotels are offering special "AP night" rates or special PIN code offers.

As a mom, another huge thing is the fact that for the duration of our stay there are no streets to cross with the kids. Harbor late at night stresses me out a little...

Well we've never been to DLR, but for our upcoming stay (most likely will be December) we are 90% sure we're staying off-site. As others have said, the cost for the "on-site" hotels is just not justifiable given the use we'll be getting out of the resort. A bit off topic, but has anyone stayed at the Best Western Stovall's Inn? It seems to be our best bet right now.. but I'm a little confused about the rooms. Some pictures show some amazing red contemporary themed rooms, while others are old boring floral. Have all the rooms been renovated to the new theme or what's the deal?

Mostly onsite, but offsite on occasion!

Since I almost always go off-season and I have an AP, I almost always stay onsite because the cost difference is not that great and you get a lot of perks (IMO) for the extra money. Also, my dh doesn't want to stay offsite. Our family prefers DLH. I like the Grand but not more than DLH, which has a funky charm that appeals to me. We usually pay $149-189/night so it costs more, but not like if we spent $300+/night for high season rates. I got lucky in Feb. and got moved from DLH concierge to GCH concierge due to work being done at DLH. We were able to stay in GCH concierge for $189/night! I've not stayed in PPH except back when it was still the Pan Pacific and not part of DLR. For the slight difference in cost I choose DLH.

I love being within the resort and will choose that option if possible.

When I was a young single mom, long ago (I'm an old mom now with a second batch of younguns :goodvibes), I could only afford a cheap motel. My choice was the Magic Lantern or the Magic Lamp, both of which are long gone. We always had a great time because it's Disneyland!! But I did dream of a day when I could afford to stay onsite (DLH was the only resort hotel).

Fast forward many years and I got to that point. :banana: So I have to say that part of my liking for being onsite is that it represents a kind of milestone in my life.

HOWEVER, I do sometimes choose to stay offsite, because now that I have an AP I go a lot more often :rotfl:. I went in Oct, Nov, Jan, Feb, and I'm going in July and probably for a day in Aug :wizard: My Jan stay was a quickie birthday trip with my adult daughter and we stayed at Hojos. We are going again in July for 1 night for her birthday and will again stay at Hojos. I love the staff there and the hotel is very nice, especially for $59/night! In Aug we will be vacationing in Hermosa Beach so we won't have a hotel room at all.

I personally prefer to spend more on my hotel room than others because I like to hang out there and my environment is important to me. I don't spend much $$ on anything besides the hotel so I rationalize it a bit that way :goodvibes

Well we've never been to DLR, but for our upcoming stay (most likely will be December) we are 90% sure we're staying off-site. As others have said, the cost for the "on-site" hotels is just not justifiable given the use we'll be getting out of the resort. A bit off topic, but has anyone stayed at the Best Western Stovall's Inn? It seems to be our best bet right now.. but I'm a little confused about the rooms. Some pictures show some amazing red contemporary themed rooms, while others are old boring floral. Have all the rooms been renovated to the new theme or what's the deal?

I've stayed at Stovall's many a time. :) But, I've not stayed there in a couple of years, so I don't know if all the rooms have the new decor yet. However, I'll be staying there for my trip in August, and I'll definitely get some pics of my room to post in the Hotel Pics thread. Regardless of whether all the rooms are redecorated by the time you visit in December, I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay! There are 2 pools & a cute topiary garden there, and while not as close as some other hotels, the walk is do-able.

I've stayed at Stovall's many a time. :) But, I've not stayed there in a couple of years, so I don't know if all the rooms have the new decor yet. However, I'll be staying there for my trip in August, and I'll definitely get some pics of my room to post in the Hotel Pics thread. Regardless of whether all the rooms are redecorated by the time you visit in December, I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay! There are 2 pools & a cute topiary garden there, and while not as close as some other hotels, the walk is do-able.

Great, thanks! Have a great trip:wizard:

Bringing up these old hotels reminds me used to stay at the Saga (like in the 60's) I still have something with the logo on it..a knight on a horse. There was a little miniature golf place nearby. Someone mentioned the Ramada Maingate..stayed there, and thanks to this post know what it changed to. I'm like others..the whole Disney experience to me means not having to leave the property. I don't want to do the dash of death across Harbor anymore. I haven't left the property once I arrived since 2001, although I'm thinking of attempting to find some beer and wine off site and maybe get a cab to take me to the Outlet...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter