Are you breastfeeding a toddler?

Ah, I thought this was going to be a typical Disboard debate about the horrors of EBFing.

I wouldn't consider myself an EBFer. My Bub's- he quit this past Christmas. I know he nursed Christmas Day- don't remember him nursing since New Year's. LOL. Just one day- he was done. He was only 15 months old.

But I'm still proud of my accomplishment- particularly since he was my third child and the only one I've nursed (I pumped for six weeks for my second). And I PROUDLY support all other BFing Mommas, here and everywhere. Now when I see one, my heart just melts. So for those of you BFing in public- please know- not everyone is thinking 'ew'- some of us are fondly reminded of our babies' younger days.

Only 15 months? That's pretty darn awesome! I would say that is EBFing ;)
And wasn't it a lovely surprise to see that this wasn't a debate? Just a bunch of supportive moms :love:
I know what you mean about your heart melting, though. Whenever I see a new mom with her little one nursing, it just makes me smile.
I saw a new mom just outside of Soarin' in January nursing her 2 month old (guessing on the age). I smiled at her and she smiled right back- there is that connection that nursing moms seem to have ;)

<<Linda- way OT, but I'm drooling looking at your signature What an awesome Christmas present for your family!>>

Oh, thanks! I am so excited for this trip! It should have happened Dec '06, but we ran out of funds! ;) If it weren't for my brother, the cast member, there's no way we could've afforded it!

Just thought I'd post again now that my little baby is now 13 months. I'm surprised he is still breastfeeding. I kind of have a love hate relationship with BFing right now. It's the only thing that can get him to sleep at night. If it was up to me, I would start weaning him but I don't know how to get him to sleep and settle him down when he is really upset any other way. I have a feeling he will be one of these kids that never self weans. Any thoughts?

Hello, nursing my 15 month old here. I nursed my daughter until she was 2, so that is my goal here too.

I can relate to the love/hate nursing relationship right now. DS sleeps with me and we just nurse back to sleep several times a night. It is taking it's toll on my back and neck though and I am ready for some sleep, but it's the only quick and 'easy' way to get him back to sleep.

Also, for the past 3 days he has been 'attached' NON stop all day. He's getting some teeth and his 'love' for me has been just smothering!!

I can relate to the love/hate nursing relationship right now. DS sleeps with me and we just nurse back to sleep several times a night. It is taking it's toll on my back and neck though and I am ready for some sleep, but it's the only quick and 'easy' way to get him back to sleep.

Also, for the past 3 days he has been 'attached' NON stop all day. He's getting some teeth and his 'love' for me has been just smothering!!

OMG! Our stories are the same. I wish I could use just one pillow to sleep again. Those were the days. Now it's one behind my back, one between my knees, one under my head, and one next to ds so he doesn't roll all over the bed;) I think ds has to be teething or something because he's gained a new interest for night nursing recently.

Hello. :wave:

I am a proud nursing mama of a 19 month old whirlwind toddler. I am hoping to get a good response from any other breastfeeding mamas of toddlers. I know there are a lot of you, because when I went to WDW last November/December, ALL of the babies nursing in the baby care center were over 12 months old! :thumbsup2

So, who else is breastfeeding an older baby/toddler?? Have any tips or experiences to share about nursing in WDW or elsewhere?

P.S. I am not looking for opinions about whether or not it's appropriate. The research is VERY clear that breastfeeding past one year is nothing but beneficial (healthwise, socially, emotionally, etc.) so long as both mother and baby want to continue. I am also not interested in whether others find it appropriate at WDW. :rotfl: I'm sure I'll get a few of those opinions, anyway! :rolleyes1

I didn't read the other posts, but I wanted to add that I nursed all three of mine well into toddlerhood. When I had my oldest, his pediatrician asked, at our FIRST visit! when I was going to wean him! I told him that I was going to let him self-wean, and we would stop when we were both ready. He laughed at me and said, "What, do you want to be like one of those women in Africa who nurse until the baby is 4? Babies don't self-wean." Yep, big jerk, and I found a new pediatrician. For one thing, what if he DID nurse until he was 4? Would that have been such a bad thing??? Well, as it turned out, Corey stopped nursing two weeks before he turned two. I did the same thing with Arminda, and she stopped nursing at 2 years 4 months (which coincidentally was the same time she was potty trained). And, my Lydia, my baby, stopped nursing just before she turned three, but she is really tall for her age, so she looked more like she was 4. That first pediatrician would have been appaled!

Actually, at exactly 2 1/2, Lydia told me, "I don't want to do that anymore." and stopped nursing for about two weeks. Then, she decided she wanted to again, and at first I thought, "Should I let her start again?" Then, I realized that I didn't mind, I was just worried about what other people would think, and that is not the way I want to raise my kids, so I let her start again.

I nursed them all at Disney World during that time. I make nursing coverups, so I would use one of those, (for my own comfort, not for the benefit of others!) or, with Lydia I often went into the baby stations, where it is nice and cool, and there are nice chairs to sit in.

I do believe that all kids will self-wean. DS1 self-weaned at 21 months when I was pg with DS2. DS2 is now 23 months and is showing signs of slowing down, but not stopping yet.

Both of my boys were nursed to sleep until over a year. DS2 will now go to sleep without it, but prefers it still. DH can put him to sleep and so can grandma without the "num-nums" as they are called around here! I will be nursing DS2 in WDW starting Friday! If I can keep up a good enough journal I will try and do an attached momma's trip report :woohoo:

I do believe that all kids will self-wean. DS1 self-weaned at 21 months when I was pg with DS2. DS2 is now 23 months and is showing signs of slowing down, but not stopping yet.

Absolutely! I think tht is just about the dumbest thing I'd ever heard from a doctor! You would think he's have encouraged my decision, but that was certainly not the case!

I'm very excited to see how many mommies on this board nursed their toddlers!

Checking in on this thread always makes me feel good. My DS is almost 2.5 and he nurses less than he used to, but no signs of being all done! I'm happy to hear that so many other people have let their child self wean! I do hope he's done before kindergarten, though!!

I nursed my oldest until she was 27 months old. As many said it was mostly morning or night, for the last year or so. She was too distracted outside of the house in most occasions. Once or twice on the airplane and once in the e.r. When she dislocated her elbow. I worried about how to stop. I shouldn't have. I just ran out of milk. She stopped on her own.

My youngest I am still nursing, but I feel we are near the end. However this could go on for a few months. This past year of nursing her has been a bit more complicated (Some on this thread know this story already.) She was exclusively nursed since she was born (with 2 ounces of Formula in the hospital, I told them NOT to give it to her.) anyway when she was around 7 months old I had my mom feed her some formula with her cereal since I didn't have any expressed milk (she rarely took a bottle.) She spit it all up.

After that we started to notice her getting rash after certain foods, a few months later even after she nursed. We had her tested and she was allergic to milk and eggs. (we had no idea about the eggs, suspected the milk.) Well I had a choice to make. Give up all milk and eggs myself (100%) or give up nursing. The choice was easy really, the reality not so much. On her 1st birthday (a pizza party, what were we thinking???) I gave up all milk and eggs. This was a really big adjustment for us, but the best thing in so many ways. I was able to learn how to cook for her and I knew if it was safe for me, it was for her.

Since her allergies are lessing, and she is nursing less too (right now once a day, mornings, but she skips a few mornings a week.) I have more freedom in what I can eat, even a bit of cheese here and there, or cake that has milk and eggs in it. I don't get engorged when she skips days, so I don't think I am producing much. I love being able to nurse her, especially when she is sick.

While I will continue nursing her as long as she wants to. I do feel a bit excited about the idea of being able to eat what ever I want again. (but I still have to cook dairy and egg free for her.)

It is so good to see so many nursing moms. I can't tell you how many times a day I was asked "why not just stop nursing her" when I had such an ordeal with my own diet. Support is nice.

Oh I forget to add. I was nursed until sometimes after my 3rd birthday.

I had this same thing with DS and to a lesser extent with DD now. At the doctor's office they were ready to beg me to keep nursing instead of going to formula. Apparently it seems that most women are not willing to change their diets, even if it is the best thing for their child.:confused3 The doctor was very happy when I explained that I was nursing no matter what. You're right about how you can't give up your favorites for a diet, but when it comes to child you do it.
Sadly, DS weaned himself at 11 months. I am hoping to nurse DD longer. I don't plan on forcing her to give it up at any certain age.

Just thought I'd post again now that my little baby is now 13 months. I'm surprised he is still breastfeeding. I kind of have a love hate relationship with BFing right now. It's the only thing that can get him to sleep at night. If it was up to me, I would start weaning him but I don't know how to get him to sleep and settle him down when he is really upset any other way. I have a feeling he will be one of these kids that never self weans. Any thoughts?

:)

My guy is 3 years and 1 month, and while sometimes my emotional-brain thinks "he's NEVER going to wean", I know intellectually that he will. It's just karmic payback for my insisting my mom let me have "sip sip" again after my brother was born, when she had really really wanted to only have ONE nursling. And then she had to wean me a second time when my brother self-weaned. At 2. Meaning that I was 4. And she HAD TO go back to work, being a newly single mom. Anyway, karmic payback... :)

I might have been a pain as a kid, but my full brother, two half-brothers, and my half-sister all DID self-wean...the boys at 2 and the sister at over 4.

Teeth are SO hard. My guy started nursing behaviour at 4 months, and it just went on and on until he was...oh I don't know, the usual age for being done with all those teeth. But actually, for me, NOTHING was worse than BEFORE the first tooth broke through, b/c his gums could get closer to each other (while nipple) than the teeth ever could. YOWCH!

Sorry, didn't mean to literally post (part of) my life-story here, but I can relate, and I do NOT think that your little guy will be the first baby in the universe to ever NOT wean. :upsidedow

I had this same thing with DS and to a lesser extent with DD now. At the doctor's office they were ready to beg me to keep nursing instead of going to formula. Apparently it seems that most women are not willing to change their diets, even if it is the best thing for their child.:confused3 The doctor was very happy when I explained that I was nursing no matter what. You're right about how you can't give up your favorites for a diet, but when it comes to child you do it.
Sadly, DS weaned himself at 11 months. I am hoping to nurse DD longer. I don't plan on forcing her to give it up at any certain age.

Hey Tikicampers! :) I hope things are going well for you. It is not easy but so worth it.

I don't know when the post you quoted was from, I think around last winter some time. I thought I would update on how things are going now. DD did self wean around February. I remember because I almost went and got some mothers milk tea to see if I could relactate. She got so sick about week after, but the reason she stopped was the milk was all gone, and had been really for while. I didn't because we were taking our 1st trip with out the kids in a few weeks and I didn't want to have all this milk, and no kid. I still miss it sometimes, as does DD. She asks to nurse occasionally. No milk. She doesn't even really remember how anymore. :guilty: Sometimes I wish I would of tried to produce more milk, but it was a natural progression over time. My body knew what it was doing. She nursed for 31 months total.

Anyway as far as her food allergies are, she is doing great. The test results said she had outgrown them, (back in Oct 06) but she still with get a rash for too much milk product. She does not drink cows milk or have ice-cream. She can have most cheeses (especially if it is cooked like on pizza. She loves pizza) She does avoid a lot of other foods though, because she says she can't have them and I do not push it. She won't eat eggs, but has no problem with them cooked in anything.

I really think that my nursing her helped her get over these allergies better (as does her doctor.) It was not easy and was so an act of love, but was worth it every step of the way. I have to say it was better for me. I have been struggling to exercise like crazy to keep the weight off, I don't want to give up pizza again! I am up 5 to 8 pounds then last summer when I was still dairy and egg free. I did that diet for about 12 months total. Not bad really.

Best of luck with DD :thumbsup2 I know what you are going through!

Anyway as far as her food allergies are, she is doing great. The test results said she had outgrown them, (back in Oct 06) but she still with get a rash for too much milk product. She does not drink cows milk or have ice-cream. She can have most cheeses (especially if it is cooked like on pizza. She loves pizza) She does avoid a lot of other foods though, because she says she can't have them and I do not push it. She won't eat eggs, but has no problem with them cooked in anything.

I really think that my nursing her helped her get over these allergies better (as does her doctor.) It was not easy and was so an act of love, but was worth it every step of the way. I have to say it was better for me. I have been struggling to exercise like crazy to keep the weight off, I don't want to give up pizza again! I am up 5 to 8 pounds then last summer when I was still dairy and egg free. I did that diet for about 12 months total. Not bad really.

Best of luck with DD :thumbsup2 I know what you are going through!

It's great that your DD is outgrowing her allergies! DS has for the most part outgrown his too. We just have to watch the amount of milk products he has. I agree that the nursing helps them with the allergies. Our doctor said the same thing, and it held true for my aunt's two kids as well (her two and my two have both had problems with milk). With DS, any little bit of dairy was a problem, but DD doesn't seem to be quite as sensitive. I can't have pizza, but I can have a bite of DH's ice cream every now and then.
I'm hoping to nurse DD longer than I did DS. I was hoping to go a full year with him at least, but he just wouldn't keep nursing. I work full time, and I think that may have played a part in it. I will go back to work when DD is five months old, and I'm trying to figure out how to make the nursing last longer.

I really enjoy this thread! My dd is 18 months old and is showing no signs of weaning herself!
She loves nursing (I do not always love it ;) but it is certainly worth it!)
She does not eat as much when she is sick or teething so I am glad I am still nursing her - it makes her feel better and I know she is at least getting some nutrition in her system!

Keep it up, gals! :love:

cats- I can't believe your dd is 18 months already.. I always thought that little pic in the lower right hand side was SO cute!

So, ladies.. I think my dd weaned. I think it's been two weeks or so since she nursed (goodness, maybe 3?). She is 32 months, so I'm pleased we made it this far.
Yesterday she asked to "erse" and when I said "Oh, do you want to?" because I was surprised, she giggled and said "noo.." and then ran off to play with something. So she has self-weaned and it looks like she's not looking back.. :sad1: But it just seemed to fly by! I can't believe it. I'm glad she made the decision, though.
Probably easier this way, anyway, since our next baby is coming in January. But enjoy those special moments, they go by so quickly!

I have a healthcare related question to long term nursing...I'm sure a lot of you have done research on the topic, and as a healthcare provider, I'm curious as to the benefits, nutritionally, of breast feeding for so long.
I never produced milk for any of my children, despite trying with all three. So even though, I encourage my patients to breast feed their newborns, it's still a mystery to me.
I'm very thankful for the day and age in which we live, because if my children had been born years ago, they wouldn't have survivied, because I wouldn't have been able to provide proper nutrition for them.

My dd is about 25 mo now and she is still nursing. She is starting to self wean.

CastleCreations, nice to see you on this thread :) ... we have crossed paths on the kid's boutique clothes thread. To answer your question, I suggest looking at www.kellymom.com which has a lot of bf'ing info, including benefits of extended nursing. Hope this helps.

as a healthcare provider, I'm curious as to the benefits, nutritionally, of breast feeding for so long.

It depends entirely on what you mean by "for so long."

My DD was getting 90% of her nutrition from breastmilk when she turned 1; multiple food allergies plus her willingness to go hungry rather than eat significant amounts of solids (not unusual in kids with multiple food allergies) meant it was breastmilk or nothing. So for her, she got lots of nutritional benefits at that age.

When she was 2.5, I weaned her cold turkey for 2 days, because I just could not stand it for one more moment. Despite Sudafed and cabbage leaves, I was sooooo sore and sooo miserable and sooo engorged. Way more than I ever was when she was a newborn. So I suspect she was getting a substantial amount of breastmilk up to that point, too. I figured weaning her might also improve her nothing diet, but it didn't - she's just not a big eater. Since she was still off the bottom of the weight-for-height charts (although her food allergies had been outgrown and replaced by environmental allergies), breastfeeding at that point was probably the equivalent of giving her an Ensure - a little nutrient boost for a kid who otherwise wouldn't get quite enough. Except that, having read the label of an Ensure bottle, I'd much rather my kid have a natural food designed to be ideal for human nutrition. ;)

We compromised on much more restricted nursing (first with chips she could turn in for a "side;" now she's on the "once a day at bedtime only" plan), and the little bugger is still nursing, having turned 4 at the end of May. AFAICT, what's causing her to finally give it up (this week she voluntarily skipped her bedtime nursing for nearly the first time ever, and she's only nursed once in the last 4-5 days) is the complete disappearance of my milk supply.

I personally don't think she's getting any nutritional benefit at all from it at this point. But she doesn't get any nutritional benefit from bedtime stories or scaring away the monster under the bed or holding her hand at the dentist or doing her laundry or any of the million other things that at some point she won't need me to do for her. Up until now, it's been really important to her, and if there's something important and nonharmful to her, essentially neutral to me, and irrelevant to anyone else, it's hard to think of any logical reason to arbitrarily deny it to her. There are enough things that a 4yo is denied or discouraged from for good reasons.

Personally, I don't think it's likely to be relevant whether you as a healthcare provider have any knowledge about extended breastfeeding. By the time you get to a year, you've already got a pretty good idea of how much more you're up for. No amount of "EBF is great!" propaganda is going to change your mind. And your kid has a pretty good idea of how much more she's up for. No amount of encouragement will get a kid to nurse if they don't want to. You can lead a kid to the nipple, but you can't make them latch on. ;) And if you were overtly negative, I'd either leave the practice outright or just assume that you were the kind of provder who'd rather make things up than say you didn't know and take all your advice with a giant grain of salt, depending on what my other healthcare options were. IMHO, "Whatever works for you," is a fine position to take.

if my children had been born years ago, they wouldn't have survivied, because I wouldn't have been able to provide proper nutrition for them.

Wet nurses, or nutritionally unbalanced substitutes. Babies are tough.

castlecreations- the kellymom link above does have great information.
Basically, it comes down to the fact that nursing toddlers receive nutrional benefits, are sick less often (due to immune factors in the breastmilk), fewer allergies, etc. The benefits are enormous.
Here is a specific link on extended breastfeeding:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

I think it's great to have this knowledge as a healthcare provider (I will soon be a RN). It made me feel great that our pediatrician acknowledged the huge benefit that my daughter had from nursing as long as she did, rather than asking when I was planning to wean her (as some pediatricians who aren't educated in human lactation might have done). So I think it's great that you're seeking more info :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter