Are you going to be at the D23 Expo? (September 2009) - UPDATE on Post #1

Are you attending the D23 Expo this year?

• No, I am not attending, and I am not interested.

• No, I am not attending, but I wish I could be there.

• I may attend, but I haven't finalized my plans.

• Yes, I will be at the D23 Expo for 1 weekday.

• Yes, I will be at the D23 Expo for 2 weekdays.

• Yes, I will be at the D23 Expo just for the weekend.

• Yes, I will be at the D23 Expo for 3 days.

• Yes, I will be at the D23 Expo all 4 days.

Results are only viewable after voting.
So about the expo did i love it or hate it??
I had alot of fun however i'm personally glad i did not pay for the 4 days. I only paid for two. The presentations were awesome and totally worth the money but I don't know if i'd enjoy 4 days of it.
The 30 min preview of the Princess and The Frog was the best part of the day for me! sad to say I was highly dissapointed in the Dream store. The crowds were manageable today though and i'm afarid Sat and Sunday may be packed! Overall a good first try at the Disney Fan experience.
I also sort of met the guy from Stitchkingdom while purchasing the Limited Edition Pin from the dream store( my only purchase). I thanked him for his twitter updates. Missed any Dis meet as I went directly to get in line to make sure I was able to see Igers presentation and the Princess and the Frog Preview. My son was dressed as a storm trooper not many kids there at all.

Despite the miscommunication about what-is-happening-where this morning, I LOVE the D23 Expo! If you are at all a fan of Disney movies, products and programming as I am, by all means be sure to attend this Expo! Tons of fun surprises. :lovestruc

Let's do the difficult parts first and get it out of the way: It was a lot of hurry-up-and-wait, sometimes to no avail.

Day 1: From 7:00am-7:30am, the staff informed us that "pin trading" was occurring near the "exit" of the Convention Center (Hall C), and they said we were at the official entrance. I don't really trade pins, so I didn't think twice about the statement. There was a very very long line for Bob Iger's speech at 7:00am, and those individuals were eventually led to the queue--they had a 2+ hour wait, which I didn't want to join just yet.

I walked to the door were they pointed me for the Dream Store, and I was among the first five D23 people in this "official" line. The man behind me checked with six different Disney CMs, and they all said that this was the right door.

I wanted to buy the LE Legends pin and the LE Treasures of the Disney Archives hardcover book. The line grew really long behind us, so with staff pointing the way, we're thinking that we will definitely get the limited merchandise we wanted. :rotfl:Nearly everyone had something on their wish list.

When the clock struck 8:00am for us to go in, we entered and immediately noticed a HUGE queue waiting to go into the Disney Dream Store. :eek: We missed out on getting vouchers for special pins, and a few dozen of us just barely made it into this line, before they decided to cut it off for D23 members who came in the wrong door. Huh?

It was just one word ("pin trading" vs. "pin vouchers"), but it made a big difference in the panic and disappointment it caused this morning. We ultimately waited in the Dream Store queue, entered the Dream Store, then we were told to leave the Dream Store to stand in another line outside, in the "pin trading area" to get whatever vouchers were available. All of this took up more time than I had planned for shopping! I got many of the vouchers except the LE Legends pin and a mini Vinylmation set, as they were already out of them. :sad1: I was sad that I didn't get the Legends pin because my father & I collect Goofy pins, and I got dressed early hoping to buy one today.

When I returned to the store, it took another 10 minutes for Disney to let us back in.

The miscommunication threw off my schedule by over an hour. I was at my tipping point this morning, but I felt better after spending more time around the other Disney fans at the Expo. It was only Day 1, so Disney needed some slack.

It turned out that the hardcover Treasures book was at the Treasures exhibit upstairs, and I was able to purchase it (after another 20-minute queue), soon after the Disney Legends ceremony. I did purchase Toy Story Mania for the Wii too, and it came with a $5 gift card. I'm excited to try it when I get home. Lines for the Dream Store registers took 35-45 minutes.
___
The DIS meet couldn't go as planned because the Arena queue was extraordinarily long (40 minute wait) and the security was taking away all electronic devices and placing them into numbered Ziploc bags, leaving you with a claim tag.

I met several DIS members throughout the day since the crowds were very manageable. Notably, Rachaface and I had excellent 2-row seats for the opening ceremony and the Disney Legends. She is so sweet! I am so glad to have tried to meet so many of you at the D23 Expo this way, and this was only Day 1.

If you see a guest dressed as Belle in the blue dress tomorrow, Snow White on Saturday, or Jasmine on Sunday, be sure to stop by and say hello. :wizard:

___

Donny Osmond walked by, saw me, and he smiled and said, "Nice dress." :yay: I got a video of it on my Flip cam. I quickly gathered my wits and asked him to sign my Expo book; he signed it as he was walking, but he had to go into a roped off section, so his assistant brought the signed guide back to me! :cloud9:

___
I also loved watching the first half hour of Princess and the Frog. The merchandise is completely adorable too. I cannot wait to see the full version of this movie!! I love the way Prince Naveen dances. ;)
___

At The Boys screening tonight--a brillant, poignant film by the Sherman Brothers' sons!!--I loved the surprise of Richard Sherman entering the room to play BEAUTIFUL songs for us LIVE, including "It's a Small World" -- a "prayer for peace," he called it. I was overwhelmed from the experience and had no problem paying $20 for an autographed CD. He is amazing.

I have also met the two Debs from AllEars; the CMO from YOAMD; the voice of Gonzo; and I walked past Dave Smith (who cares for the Disney Archives) so far. I really wanted to meet Paige O'Hara (Belle's voice) today, and I hope she will attend the Expo another day!

If you attended the Expo, what were your favorite parts of the day?

6reetings from D23 - Day 2

We're standing in line (which is shorter than yesterday morning) outside the Anaheim Convention Center. It's another beautiful morning and everyone remains as excited and enthusiastic as they were on Day 1. The D23 Expo was wonderful yesterday, and it was an amazing presentation of our collective interest, namely all things Disney.

The limited edition pins and such are fantastic and the lines to purchase these are reasonable, provided you arrive before 8AM. The Dream Store lines are hit & miss later on...provided you have your vouchers, there's plenty of time to return when the check-out lines are shorter.

Events have been eye-opening and a pleasure, and there's nothing better than taking in some of the D23 "experience" and then stroll over to Disneyland for a change of pace.

Anyone local in CA who is "on the fence" about attending, give it some serious consideration. Those from out of state, consider planning for next year. This is it - as they say - the ultimate fan experience. It simply doesn't get better than this!

I had a great time yesterday. Missed a few sessions I really wanted to go to because of the overlapping schedule, but ah, well, promised myself this was about fun and not going to get stressed about missing stuff.

Wish I had gotten the first day pin, but was gone by the time I got a chance. Merchandise was a little crazy.

I feel like a little kid that's majorly addicted in the middle of a candy store - LOOK! - over there - No, wait, there! Ah, over there! Or.. over there! So much Disney all in one place! :yay:

- Dreams

Its been crazy these first two days at the expo, but it has been exciting to be here at the d23 expo.
I had to wait almost 2 hours in line to get the vouchers for the limited series pins on the first day. Then had to wait another hour in the dream store line. But it was worth the wait.
The opening ceremony and the legend inductee was great.
Hope to see any DIS at F! tonight, ill be at both shows.

I am so mad at myself right now. I can't believe I missed Johnny Depp. Any predictions at who else is coming? Tom Hanks at the Pixar? Who will be the special guest performance at Wizards? I was originally thinking Selena Gomez but do think that it could be the Jonas Brothers?

I am so mad at myself right now. I can't believe I missed Johnny Depp. Any predictions at who else is coming? Tom Hanks at the Pixar? Who will be the special guest performance at Wizards? I was originally thinking Selena Gomez but do think that it could be the Jonas Brothers?

I don't think it will be the Jonas Brothers, as I think they are filming Camp Rock 2 in Toronto. :)

I wish I was there so much - seeing Miley Cyrus and Johnny Depp would be incredible! :)

Greetings from D23 - Day 3

Yet another splendid morning outside the Anaheim Convention Center...already over 250 people in line and the collective enthusism continues!

Yesterday was a day with huge surprises and today promises more of the same. CMs will be here in droves as well - off duty - we've heard that their specially discounted ($5) tickets are long sold out. Regardless, there's still general admission available for all, and the buzz is pointing toward large crowds this weekend.

Today's pins consist of four "Artist Choice" selections (LE 1500) and six Soda Fountain selections (LE 500). Come and get them, while they last!

Honor Society performed at the WWOP panel. But that was actually announced (and covered on my site) days before the Expo.

between the panels, the press conferences and the floor, i had no time for anything else. still got thousands of photos to sift through and lots of articles to write.

Thanks to all of you who found me at the D23 Expo! The three Disney costumes I had were fun to wear. The Show White costume was the most recognizable, Village Belle was often mistaken for Alice (even though I have dark hair), and Jasmine was the most shocking costume, I think.

I saw a blonde Jasmine wearing a purple outfit on Day 1, so I thought by Day 4, it wouldn't be too surprising; well, the costumes were usually surprising, since many guests were not there all four days. I saw others dressed as The Rocketeer, a guy dressed as Pinocchio, a costume from Tron, Sally from Nightmare with yarn hair, a few Cinderellas, a couple of Giselles from Enchanted, Jolly Holiday Mary Poppins, Jack Sparrow, Miss Piggy, several Alice in Wonderland girls, a Mad Hatter, a Tinkerbell with full-size wings, a few Maleficents and an Evil Queen!

My fiance, dressed as Aladdin, had a good time trying to find me in The Muppets session on Sunday. He asked where he could "find Jasmine," and 100 or so Disney fans pointed him over to me: "She's over there!" :lmao:

Other memorable moments from wearing the costumes:

• Donny Osmond noticed me as Snow White from afar, smiled and said I had a "beautiful dress." :lovestruc I captured this on my Flipcam and he signed my Expo book.
  • CMs welcomed me and waved to me as "Snow" when I walked by in the Snow White costume.
  • Push the Trashcan said I was married to him when I was dressed as Belle. The next day, when he saw me dressed as Jasmine, he did a funny skit about TMZ.com because I was holding my fiance's arm who was dressed as Aladdin.
  • Meeting Paige O'Hara and Andreas Deja on the day I was dressed as Village Belle. I posed for pictures with both of them. These are two of my Disney idols. D23 was full of these photo ops, and I am over the moon to have met them.
  • Taking time for eight interviews about D23 to different news organizations and posing for pictures for other Media and internal Disney use. I had a threshold for this, and I did tell a few of them to catch me "later" if I wanted to attend an educational session or have lunch.
  • Shy children came up to me and hugged my knees. :littleangel: I posed for pictures in my hotel hallways, my hotel lobby, the Expo lobby & hallways, and on the show floor with Disney fans of all ages. It felt different when guests asked for a picture, so I always obliged.
  • I felt like a princess.
It was great to meet so many of you, and I love knowing that you are on the DIS. Please stay in touch, and I would like to get to know you better online! Disney fans need to stick together.

Wasn't the D23 Expo fantastic? I wish there was an area on the DIS where we could discuss what we saw.

Until the next D23 Expo!

PrincessMonkey

Summary: Dressed as Snow White, Village Belle and Jasmine at the D23 Expo. Couldn't have imagined a better experience. Disney is awesome. :cloud9:

We had a great time at the Expo! Sorry the meet did not work out. We were running all over the place that first day. At first we got in line for Bob Iger at 7:30am or so and then when we realized there were only 400 or so in line I knew we could get in line much later. We went to the Dream Store line and got some pins, lanyards and Vinylmations. I told DH they would hold the Iger talk until the arena filled up and was right. We were still in line at 10am but did not miss a thing. Whew:) We saw the Iger talk and the Disney Legends and then headed up to buy the Treasures of the Archive book. We were able to get 2 hardcovers (500 LE.)

We got in line maybe 1/2 before every arena presentation (even John Lassater) and got great balcony seating. Front rows a bit off center with no one blocking us! The smaller theaters were another story;) I REALLY did not want to wait 1 hour plus but did it for So You Want To Be an Imagineer and Growing Up Disney. 1/2 hour wait for Vintage Disneyland (great!) We missed DCL, Imagineering Legends and some others. It stinks people left other talks early to make sessions- it seemed so rude to the speakers but I totally understand. Disney needs to schedule a bit better next time. What we saw we really liked.

I LOVED Dick Cooks talk with Tim Burton, John Travolta, Nicholas Cage, Jerry Bruckheimer, Miley singing live and of course Johnny Depp as Captain Jack! Awesome! The parks talk was not what I expected. I wanted to be blown away again. Oh well. John Lassater was great. Loved the Mater shorts. Cracked me up.

I really enjoyed the Parks and Resorts exhibit but wished they had models of Fantsyland in WDW to unveil Saturday. The other sections were nice too. Loved the Lost items. Some (I think maybe not Disney employees but convention or hired help) were very rude/cheap with the give-a-ways. Acting like people were jerks for asking where to get certain things (Princess and Frog bag, Puffles at Club Penguin booth.) I passed that info on...

I am SO glad we came in Wednesday to do DL but I wish I had not scheduled so many dinners at the parks/resorts. I missed The Boys presentation and really wished we had gone to that one (we had Napa Rose that night.)

Looking forward to next year!!!

There was a Princess and the Frog bag?? Darn! Yes, it didn't seem like very many giveaways..even little things like pens or notepads. Still..great first time expo and I hope they continue it! I saw all the arena presentations and did make it in to DCL and Inaginmeering Legends..SUPER goot time. WOC presentation was great..Steve davison is great and a HOOT..and Bob Gurr should have his own panel next time. Wonderful experience.
(Ps saw you Princess Monkey in all your outfits except Jasmine :) )

Yes, Princess and The Frog and Snow White bags-really cute (bright and vinyl like.) I saw a lot of people with them and finally found out they were a give-a-way. I guess they were picking and choosing when/who to give them too. They were really rude to guests about the tiny Puffels at Club Penguin too and we saw them loading huge boxes of them to give out! They also had "Alice Is The New Black" black and white bags (thin like the brown D23 bag) and told people to come back at a certain time for them to the tea party section and then said they went in the back to get them and they were all gone! Me thinks some of the convention folks took some things to sell on Ebay. :scared1: :rotfl: The people giving out the programs also got weird around Saturday. They were asking couples/families to share 1 program yet Sunday night there were boxes and boxes of them left to give out. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter