Are you reluctant to book a cruise?

I've been on two cruises and they're not my thing. It turns out I don't like enclosed spaces and I get seasick. :sick:

That said, flying scares me much more than cruising, and yet I still fly several times a year. And I can swim much better than I can flap my arms and fly...

:rotfl:
It won't stop us. A few of us are getting ready to book a high school graduation celebration cruise for our kids with us as chaperones.
I've never been on a cruise and honestly, the idea does not appeal to me but I'm going with an open mind because I love to travel. If I enjoy the cruise, my husband and I might take one together.

I'm hoping to take a last minute cruise in March. I've been on several cruises before and have no hesitation to take one again.

Not at all, but I think I will pay attention a little more during the life boat drill. I'm sure I would do that anyway now that I have a kid and like someone else mentioned, we'd definitely come up with plans and meeting places and I might pack a few little flashlights too.

In light of last week's accident, is anyone now reluctant to book a cruise? On our local news last night, they had the results of a poll asking if people would feel less comfortable on a cruise ship than in the past. One woman said she's cruised before, but there's no way she will do it again anytime soon. She's concerned that the poor leadership and training on the Costa ship is indicative of the whole industry. On the other hand, a man said he wouldn't think twice about the safety of cruising, and would book a cruise without hesitation.

I have taken four previous cruises, and would not hesitate to take another one. In fact, we're thinking about booking a 5-day cruise on Carnival this summer. The accident hasn't changed my mind a bit. Overall, I think cruising is a very safe way to travel. I'll be in more danger on the drive to the pier. I also think that stricter industry standards will begin to emerge regarding safety procedures and drills.

How is everyone else feeling about the safety of cruising? Has the accident caused you to rethink your plans to take a cruise?

....well, I am a little nervous [check my siggie countdown thingie]....

As you can already tell, those of us who have cruised before wont be fazed by this. For those who have never cruised, once you've been, you'll understand why.

no way, in fact if this does drive rates down we will take advantage!!!!!:)

ETA: actually I think this instance has shown me just how badly things can go and yet the vast majority (thankfully!) survived. We had one night on a cruise that was really rough and I got a little panicky, but I think this (and surviving that night! LOL!) put things in a little more perspective

Nope. Have a cruised booked for Sept 2012, July 2013, and another one we haven't set a date for.

We were talking about this at work yesterday and someone who had never cruised asked the same question. I asked her how many cruise ship accidents had she heard of in the last 10 years where there was loss of life? And how many plane or auto accidents?

The only thing that bugs me about a cruise is the seasickness!! :sick: Now that's scary!!!

haaaaaate cruises...:scared:

You and me both....I have never been on a cruise and don't have the desire to go on one. I shutter at the thought of looking around and just seeing water. I don't even like flying over the ocean. :scared1:

I have only been on 1 cruise- Disney Magic in Nov 2011- and don't plan on ever going on another one again. Did not like it. The service was great, food was mediocre, sea sickness was terrible (had it for 2 nights even after taking medicine). I will stick with the parks or hotels on land from now on.

I am going to be honest. Yes, I would be nervous about booking a cruise. I have been on two cruises, and felt perfectly safe on both. But this incident really make me question a lot of the assumptions I had about the character and training of the people I am entrusting with my family's safety.

I don't think this will stop me from ever cruising again, but it will make me think twice.

I really only have a desire to go on Disney cruises, so if I could afford it again (cruised on the Wonder back in 2003, LOVED it!), I wouldn't hesitate. I have confidence that if there was ever a cruise line that would hire captains who have safety as their number one priority and would not be total boneheads who make horrible self-serving decisions, it would be Disney.

I've been watching cruise prices this week because I heard that they expect them to go down now as people start to get refunds for cruises they have booked. I was planning on a cruise in the near future and it seems like a great time, price-wise to book.
People get worked up over one accident. It was an accident. I don't change my life and the things I enjoy because of one accident. Don't want to live my life in a bubble, afraid of doing everything for the fear of something maybe happening.

I've never been on a cruise but I am itching to go on one. This doesn't make me concerned in the least.

In light of last week's accident, is anyone now reluctant to book a cruise? On our local news last night, they had the results of a poll asking if people would feel less comfortable on a cruise ship than in the past. One woman said she's cruised before, but there's no way she will do it again anytime soon. She's concerned that the poor leadership and training on the Costa ship is indicative of the whole industry. On the other hand, a man said he wouldn't think twice about the safety of cruising, and would book a cruise without hesitation.

I have taken four previous cruises, and would not hesitate to take another one. In fact, we're thinking about booking a 5-day cruise on Carnival this summer. The accident hasn't changed my mind a bit. Overall, I think cruising is a very safe way to travel. I'll be in more danger on the drive to the pier. I also think that stricter industry standards will begin to emerge regarding safety procedures and drills.

How is everyone else feeling about the safety of cruising? Has the accident caused you to rethink your plans to take a cruise?

I would not hesitate to cruise again.....though not on costa and not on carnival...but thats personal choice....
I recall after Sept 11th we were headed to wdw and boy, I have to tell you...I was nervous, very nervous....but then I figured that safety would be at the highest standards not less....so we flew...
I am interested in hearing the "facts" come out about the costa ship (what a tragedy!) and will hold judgement until all is out there...but it sounds like it was an avoidable tragedy in the very least.............so sad.....:sad2:

Well, I flew home from Orlando on US Air the day after one of their planes crashed. My brother flew for vacation the day planes were allowed back in the air after 9/11.

No, I wouldn't hesitate to cruise. But I don't think this is going to have much of an effect on pricing (although Costa may eventually get rebranded, if there's a huge drop in bookings).

What about trip insurance? This incident has me thinking....

I know that the cruise line SAYS they are going to compensate passengers for their ticket and lost items however obviously that has a limit on items and will probably be a set number.

What if you had your 3000 camera, laptops, or any other expensive jewelry, etc?

1) Would trip insurance cover that?
2) Would your homeowners cover it? Heck it is in a different country.
3) If it would cover it, then I suppose you need a rider for the jewels and other expensive items.

I never cruised before so do you list the items you bring aboard? You are going to have to prove you had your Canon super camera with 3 different lenses that cost 1000 a piece, right?

I am going on a cruise in two weeks for my birthday with my oldest dd and i and booking another one in the summer for the whole family. this is our fourth and we wouldn't stop because of one stupid captain decision.

DH wants to go on a cruise. I have fought it tooth and nail for over 12 years. I have no desire to ever be on a boat in the middle of the ocean.

I may have watched the Poseidon Adventure one to many times but no matter how many times I hear it's safe it does nothing to change my mind.

I am going to be honest. Yes, I would be nervous about booking a cruise. I have been on two cruises, and felt perfectly safe on both. But this incident really make me question a lot of the assumptions I had about the character and training of the people I am entrusting with my family's safety.

I don't think this will stop me from ever cruising again, but it will make me think twice.

Really? You'd be hesitant because of the actions of one person on a cruise line you most likely never would have sailed, out of the hundreds of ships on the sea?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter