Ariel Ride --- question plus a thought

rutgers1

DIS Veteran
Every time I walk by while my kids are watching Disney Channel, I see a little snippet about the new Ariel ride out in California. They show a few seconds of different parts of the ride and remark how lifelike it is.

Is that the same ride that is coming to Disney World in Florida?

I realize that I am making my judgments off of a few brief snippets on television, but that ride looks like a slightly updated version of an original Disney ride like Snow White or Peter Pan. All I saw was a slow moving vehicle pointed at some colorful props and animatronics. It is hardly something that I'd expect in 2011 from a company that is clearly no longer the ride innovator now that Harry Potter has been unveiled.

Is there anything in the works that will bring Disney into the new millennium?

First Disney chose not to compete with Potter because they really can't. Second they don't need to compete with Universal.

Yes it should open in later 2011 early 2012 as part of Fantasyland expansion which includes the following.

Ariels Under Sea Adventure
Closing if Snow Whites Scary Adventure because the are building a 7 Dwarves mine coaster.
Be our guest restaurant
Story Book Circus AKA Dumbo land.

Also It is nothing Luke Peter Pan it is a classic dark ride but the most advanced one ever built. The Ursula AA is very good. There really I'd nothing to compare it to.

Is that the same ride that is coming to Disney World in Florida?

More or less, yes. Ours will have a much fancier exterior and queue area, though. The ride itself will be pretty much the same.

But as Figment said, it isn't a step backwards. It is a dark ride in the tradition of those old classics, but using much newer technology in animatronics, animation, projections, etc. Have you been on the newish Finding Nemo ride in Epcot? More like that than like Peter Pan.

The best attractions in Disney history are slow moving dark rides: Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.

Having been on the Little Mermaid Ariels Undersea Adventure, it's a very good attraction. As it is a ride through the movie attraction like Peter Pan or Pooh Bear, it's certainly the best attraction of this type.

Don't expect it to be the best attraction ever because it's new, see if you find it better than the rest of the Fantasyland darkride attractions like I do.

I will agree that the dark, slow moving rides are fun - especially Pirates and the Haunted Mansion. For some reason, I feel like I get my money's worth given the longer time I am on them, lol. But I guess I am just waiting for something to knock my socks off. Although I realize that a "vacation" to Universal is nothing compared to a vacation at Disney, it also doesn't cost nearly as much. So, if I am going to pay a huge chunk of my disposable income to Disney, I guess I just hold out hope that they will be the innovators, not other parks.

One area where I was completely satisfied was the Disney Dream cruise ship, which we went on in April. Unbelievable. If any of you haven't been on it, definitely consider it.

I will agree that the dark, slow moving rides are fun - especially Pirates and the Haunted Mansion. For some reason, I feel like I get my money's worth given the longer time I am on them, lol. But I guess I am just waiting for something to knock my socks off. Although I realize that a "vacation" to Universal is nothing compared to a vacation at Disney, it also doesn't cost nearly as much. So, if I am going to pay a huge chunk of my disposable income to Disney, I guess I just hold out hope that they will be the innovators, not other parks.

One area where I was completely satisfied was the Disney Dream cruise ship, which we went on in April. Unbelievable. If any of you haven't been on it, definitely consider it.

I agree with you they are building the 7 Dwarves Mine Coaster that has a swaying ride car that has never been attempted.

FLE while not innovative adds a much needed capacity to MK.

they are building the 7 Dwarves Mine Coaster that has a swaying ride car that has never been attempted.

Part of me can't help but wonder how long it'll be before that swaying effect is "temporarily" turned off... then never seen again.

I think the Ariel ride looks excellent. I know it will knock my niece's and nephew's socks off, beyond a doubt. I don't think every new ride has to be a thriller or technological advancement like Harry Potter, which several members of my family (both young and older) couldn't ride. I loved HP, but I also love that Disney continues to create high quality experiences that families can enjoy together. I also think the Little Mermaid is a classic film which continually appeals to new generations, and giving it this dark ride treatment, allowing the music to shine, was a great choice.

Also, I personally think Disney is not as much a ride innovator as a story and theme innovator. This is where I find the Disney difference! In the stories, themes and details. I am glad to have what looks like a wonderful attraction that I can share with my Ariel-loving niece, who will no doubt know every word and sing her way through the ride!

Part of me can't help but wonder how long it'll be before that swaying effect is "temporarily" turned off... then never seen again.

Is this a reference to the infamous Yeti I keep hearing about? Not trying to hyjack but i'm so curious! DH & I rode everest in april and saw a shadow projection of a yeti tearing up the track... I mean, it was a nice touch but I was wondering if there was supposed to be more? With all the hype, then the "it doesnt always work" talk, I thought we may have missed something.

Anyway, could someone clue me in before I blow my mind?!:rotfl:

Is this a reference to the infamous Yeti I keep hearing about? Not trying to hyjack but i'm so curious! DH & I rode everest in april and saw a shadow projection of a yeti tearing up the track... I mean, it was a nice touch but I was wondering if there was supposed to be more? With all the hype, then the "it doesnt always work" talk, I thought we may have missed something.

Anyway, could someone clue me in before I blow my mind?!:rotfl:

The shadow effect is a different one. At the end of the ride, after the big drop out of the mountain when you head into the final cave, there is supposed to be a massive yeti (I think he's more than 20 feet tall).

Originally, he would lean over and take a swipe at you as you passed by... but that no longer works. He is motionless -- so they put in some strobe lights to make it look like he maybe might have moved a little as you pass.

Some people now miss it completely -- as you apparently did, although to be fair they have covered up the yeti at times to do various bits of unspecified work to it.

If you google "expedition everest yeti" I'm sure you'll find plenty of photos and tales of this massive failure of imagineering.

Also, there's supposed to be an bird that pops up at the broken tracks -- a very minor effect that also no longer works, or works only rarely. And there's a waterfall down the side of the mountain that works sporadically.

Also, I personally think Disney is not as much a ride innovator as a story and theme innovator. This is where I find the Disney difference! In the stories, themes and details. I am glad to have what looks like a wonderful attraction that I can share with my Ariel-loving niece, who will no doubt know every word and sing her way through the ride!

While I understand what you are saying in premise, I kind of disagree a bit with the "theme innovator" part as of late. Although I do not LOVE Universal by any stretch, I was mightily impressed with how they carried the Harry Potter theme throughout Harry Potter Land, particularly the queue for the main ride. My only criticism of the place was that they didn't have more of the storefronts open (most are just fake facades).

Honestly I DON'T want Disney to start competing with other parks. Of course it still needs to come up with new technology, develop better attractions and grow as a theme park. But if Disney just tries to one up every park that comes up with something new, they would loose sight of what Disney represents to millions of people. I've seen it happen before to other theme parks

Agree but hopefully it pushes them back to being true innovators by using (and being allowed to use through funding) technology, creativity, theming, story, etc. What we have today is just complacency with the few bright spots being less than leading edge. It doesn't mean they have to be first with everything or come up with grander ideas, out of the box ideas all of the time. They just need a better mix.

Agree but hopefully it pushes them back to being true innovators by using (and being allowed to use through funding) technology, creativity, theming, story, etc. What we have today is just complacency with the few bright spots being less than leading edge. It doesn't mean they have to be first with everything or come up with grander ideas, out of the box ideas all of the time. They just need a better mix.

I Agree

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter