Aritlce from Orlando Sentinel: WDW parks are now using finger scanners

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
By Beth Kassab | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted July 14, 2005

After the ticket line and a bag-search checkpoint, visitors to Walt Disney World now have to make one more stop before entering one of its theme parks: at a finger scanner.

Disney guests must now put their index and middle fingers into a device at the turnstile that assigns a code to link the image of their fingers with their name and ticket.

Disney says it's simply part of an attempt to find a more foolproof system to block the use of stolen and shared tickets.

But privacy advocates say the practice is troubling because it moves consumers a step closer to eventual acceptance of a national ID card or a drivers license that stores biometric data.

"Slowly but surely we're just giving away our right of privacy, and the question is what are we getting in return?" said Larry Spalding, spokesman for the American Civil Liberties Union. "We get all these massive databases, and how secure are they?"

Some tourists also questioned the finger-scan machines.

"We asked what it was and what it did, and they told us it's so no one can use your ticket," said Kathy Wilson, on vacation with her family from Louisville, Ky. "It makes you wonder if that's the only reason they're doing it."

The technology, used for years for annual pass holders, has been phased in for all ticket holders during the past six months.

The company doesn't save the information after the ticket expires, said Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty.

"We're not keeping a database of fingerprints," Prunty said.

The system, known as Ticket Tag, uses "finger geometry" rather than traditional fingerprints, she said. A camera takes a picture of several points on each person's index and middle fingers and assigns a number value to the image, she said.

The finger scanning began in January in some parks before expanding to the entire complex.

Last month, Disney officially abandoned the old method of stamping visitors' hands when they leave a park to allow re-entry. Now only the combination of a finger scan and ticket with the visitor's name printed on it will permit re-entry or travel from one park to another.

If a crime were to occur inside a park, police would not be able to use the images to match a fingerprint to a person, Prunty said, because the numerical values -- not fingerprints -- are saved in Disney's system.

Spalding, of the ACLU, said several people brought Disney's system to the group's attention, but so far no one has complained.

"If you're that offended, you don't have to associate with Disney," Spalding said.

Disney is not using the technology at its parks in California and overseas.

Universal Orlando relies on photographs to identify pass-holders, but by the end of the year it plans to roll out a new system that uses finger geometry. SeaWorld uses a variation of the finger-scanning device for its multiday pass holders but does not require it for single-day ticket holders.

"Tickets are very expensive for these facilities. If you can hand them off, it costs the parks money," said Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services in Cincinnati. "It really is an attempt of the introduction of a system that will be used more broadly in the industry in the future."

Prunty said visitors who don't want to have their fingers scanned can still enter the park. Children under age 10 are not required to use the system.

"If a guest feels that they really aren't comfortable with it, they can show an ID if their name is on the ticket," she said. Visitors to the parks, though, seemed more worried about the inconvenience. "Overall it's good," said Simon Henson, on vacation with his wife from England. "But it seems to make the queues longer. No one seems to put their fingers in all the way on the first try."

Remember:
Make sure you put the foil shiny side out when you wrap your mickey ears, otherwise the government can read your thoughts. :earsboy:

Ugghhh.

I for one think a national id card is long overdue. I can't quite figure out what the problem is.

I couldn't agree more. A national ID card would be good, especially with the way the world is today.

And, oh yes, those ballons they sell on Main Street also act as radio tarnsmitters emitting the words "must buy more" to everyone within a 100 foot radius...transmitted at a pitch the you can't really hear, but subconciously obey. :rotfl:

NEW---Pal Mickey now comes with high definition Big Brother camera in nose and your choice of T-shirt color.

sorcerermick said:
And, oh yes, those ballons they sell on Main Street also act as radio tarnsmitters emitting the words "must buy more" to everyone within a 100 foot radius...transmitted at a pitch the you can't really hear, but subconciously obey. :rotfl:

Actually, the way the spinning light things calm my friend's 7-month old down, we joking that it must be transmitting some subliminal messages - and knowing Disney, they change depending on where you are. You know, if you're close to counter service 'you're hungry', close to a gift shop 'don't forget Grandma', etc...

crazy4wdw said:
"If you're that offended, you don't have to associate with Disney," Spalding said.

Wow, I actually agree with a spokesman for the ACLU!!! :rotfl2:

This may be a bit OT, but how are they handling old Park Hoppers? Do you get a new ticket to replace your old ones?

Rombus said:
Remember:
Make sure you put the foil shiny side out when you wrap your mickey ears, otherwise the government can read your thoughts. :earsboy:

Wait! Shiny side OUT? No wonder!!!

If it wasn't for all the thieves and highwaymen, they wouldn't need these measures. A number of years ago there was an inside job where thhousands of tickets were taken from the vault at WDW.

First of all they are not new, secondly it is a measurement not a scan of your fingerprints.

I for one think a national id card is long overdue. I can't quite figure out what the problem is.
You do know we live in a free society and this along with the Patriot act continues to erode our liberties and please don't give me the line. . ."If you have nothing to hide . . .blah-blah-blah."

Ted and Holly said:
Wait! Shiny side OUT? No wonder!!!

Duh! If you put it shiny side in your just slowly cooking your brain with its own waves! That’s why the "Government is out to get me" people are so crazy! Us "Normal" Conspiracy theorists are just fine :cool1:

WebmasterCricket said:
Lack of knowledge + paranoia = article

I think its more the ACLU having an intense need to be in the news... always... its a means of justifying their existence. After all, they have little else to do.

i have an old ticket that was given to me when i graduated the college program, it does not have my name on it though and expires this year in december....cani still use it? how will it work? it's a one day park hopper.

toddp3 said:
I think its more the ACLU having an intense need to be in the news... always... its a means of justifying their existence. After all, they have little else to do.

Actually I don't think this was generated by the ACLU. When I heard about this on the Orlando news here I went to the ACLU website and couldn't find anything about it. After reading the article in the Sentinel it sounds like they called up the local ACLU office for a quote. This is more a case of a newspaper reporter making something out of nothing than the ACLU doing it.

Disney Gator said:
Actually I don't think this was generated by the ACLU. When I heard about this on the Orlando news here I went to the ACLU website and couldn't find anything about it. After reading the article in the Sentinel it sounds like they called up the local ACLU office for a quote. This is more a case of a newspaper reporter making something out of nothing than the ACLU doing it.
Bingo

In response to the questions about using old tickets, I don't believe they are requiring any sort of exchanges. Old tickets are still valid.

We were at WDW two months ago and one member of our party used a PLUS from an old hopper ticket, and she just slid the ticket through the turnstile like they did in the olden days. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter