ASD child at Disney...

Poohgirl

New DVC member, SSR<br><font color=deeppink>Learne
Have you found it benefical to use a GAC for an ASD child at Disney? My DS(7) is ASD and I believe he will generally do ok, however he does have sensory issues with over stimulation from heat, crowds and noise. :confused3 Im thinking maybe I should play it safe and get one even if I don't end up having to use it, but if it will prevent one "meltdown" it would be worth its weight it gold!

Wouldn't be without it for my ds. LAst 2 trips were meltdown free. By using we prevent him from getting to the point of a meltdown. It's a more relaxing vacation for all involved.

I agree. My son has Down Syndrome, so his issues are a little different, but he does tend to have meltdowns if he gets frustrated. Last trip I didn't have to use the GAC much, but it was a Godsend when we did use it.

LisaB

We found it very worth it to use the old Special Assistance Pass the last time we were there. (My DS10 is ASD.) We didn't always need to use it, but when we did it was a lifesaver. We were really able to relax and enjoy our trip so much more than our visit before when we didn't know about the SAP.

I believe GAC stands for Guest Assistance Card. It is to help castmembers know how guests with disabilities need to be assisted.

Thank you. Until I started reading these boards I didn't know such a thing existed. Our first trip to WDW is in June. I just assumed that if my son had an "episode" either DH or myself would have to leave the line / attraction / show, etc with him until he calmed down.

Last trip was the first one that we used a GAC with my ASD grandson. It was wonderful! It is a little difficult when you begin using it because it is a reminder that your family is different but when you realize how much you are able to accomplish, it is worth it. Before the GAC, we might get 2 things done. Meltdowns are a common thing because of the noise, the lights, and especially the crowds. Being able to avoid these things made life so much more like a real vacation. We are going back in a few weeks and it is the first thing we will do.

We always get one, and use it as needed. Don't hesitate to get one, it will no doubt be needed at some point in time with an ASD child. My son is now 10 and has gotten better at self control with age, but he still functions more like a 4 year old and has occasional meltdowns and overstimulation that require us to use it when necessary. Just ignore those around you who may give you funny looks. They have no idea what we go through on a day to day basis, and we don't owe them any explanation.

I'm not sure what ASD stands for - maybe Autism or Asperger's? My son has different issues that make crowds, noise and high distraction levels a challenge for him. He's 14 and with medication, diet changes and therapy we have most everything under control, but ..well... under control at home and in familiar "safe" environments is totally different from the crowds, lights and clamor of WDW.

torianne31 said:
I'm not sure what ASD stands for - maybe Autism or Asperger's? My son has different issues that make crowds, noise and high distraction levels a challenge for him. He's 14 and with medication, diet changes and therapy we have most everything under control, but ..well... under control at home and in familiar "safe" environments is totally different from the crowds, lights and clamor of WDW.

ASD=Autism Spectrum Disorder

You mention diet changes as a modification. I just wanted to let you know that the chef's at WDW are fantastic about working within dietary restrictions! When you make your PS's let them know what your needs are and they'll note it. When you check in a chef will come to your table to discuss the restrictions with you and how to make food that you child will be able to eat. That was a life saver for us!

::yes:: ::yes:: I've read that through several posts on the Restaurant board which is a lifesaver. :flower: We found out several years ago that myself and both DS's are gluten intolerant. (AFTER being misdiagnosed as IBD when I was 28 and ds's were 8 and 5) When we removed gluten from our diet, the change in Ryan's behavioral symptoms was noticeable. After researching on the internet I found that some kids improve on a g/f AND c/f diet which we did for a while. Ryan's symptoms didn't improve anymore with the removal of the casein so we are now just g/f which is pretty lucky for us... :)

We have the advantage of being able to drive to WDW so we will be able to take g/f snacks and staples with us. I have already made our ps's and plan on calling WDW closer to our arrival time in June to let them know about special issues. Most of our PS's are for buffets and I checked out the menus on allearsnet.com so we have an idea of what we can and can't eat. I've heard about talking to the chefs when we get their too, so i DEFINITELY plan on doing that. Looking at a menu on the net and having a chef go over possible hidden sources of gluten would be sooooooooo refreshing. Usually we just have to skip stuff we're not sure about. I've printed out a list of counter service menus too so we know where we can grab quick g/f foods (turkey legs and french fries here we come!! :rotfl: ). We plan on taking our g/f breads and buns into the parks in our backpack cooler so we can order sandwiches, hamburgers and hot dogs without bread and just use our own g/f ones.

Has changing your sons' diet been beneficial in helping their symptoms? Was it gluten and casein, or did you notice improvement when other items were removed?

We use GAC as an abbreviation so we don't have to type so much. It is really a Guest Assistance Card. It's basically a tool to let CMs (Cast Members) know what types of assistance people with invisible disabilities need. A GAC is not usually needed by someone who is using a wheelchair or ecv unless they have needs beside having an accessible line. (An exception to that would be children who have wheelchairs/special needs strollers that might be mistaken for a stroller; they would need a GAC to bring their stroller into line).
It says right on the card that it is not meant to provide immediate access, shorten or eliminate waits in line; and it usually won't. It will provide accomidation based on the needs of the person with a disability, which might include things like being able to bring a stroller into line or waiting in a quieter space, away from a lot of people.

A lot of people look at the GAC as insurance. If you need it, use it. But, if the lines are short and you can manage without it, save it for the times you do need it.

The GAC is usually issued for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability). The CMs can make exceptions (like if you have 2 adults and 5 children, they will almost always write it for 7 people). To request a GAC, go to Guest Services in any of the parks with the person with a disability. Be ready to explain the needs to the CM there. GACs are usually issued to be valid for your entire length of stay and the same GAC is used in all the parks (no need to get one in each park). If you go to the water parks, you will need to go to Guest Services there to find out what assistance they provide.
Even though the GAC is for up to 6, there are times when you may be asked to split into smaller groups. This is usually because the space for people with special needs is small and can't accomidate your whole party or the space is needed for other people with special needs.

I have an almost 9 yo with Asperger's. The GAC is a lifesaver. My son also has sensory issues (SID), so if your child doesn't, you might not need these

couple of things I've find help:
The park strollers (covered on three sides to minimize visual overload)
baseball cap (blocks sun, and visual overload)
earplugs
towel(to drape over stroller if your child is getting agitated)
GAC!!!

I'd also recommend:
bringing snacks/juice boxes that your child likes to fend off the 'crankies'
taking a day after two in the parks to decompress...pool time is very rejuvenating and helps recharge those batteries.
sit down meals-grab and go can frustrate our kids. this forces some relaxation (we love biergarten in epcot for the dark room)
407-wdw dine. any food issues, allergies, call as soon as you know where you will dine. They are extremely helpful in accommodating your needs

don't pack your schedule. Your child is already discombobulated by the change in routine (and our kids thrive on routine, don't they?). If yours has a comfort item, by all means, bring it with you!

good luck!

Suzanne

torianne31 said:
Has changing your sons' diet been beneficial in helping their symptoms? Was it gluten and casein, or did you notice improvement when other items were removed?

Yes, taking gluten out of his diet has helped a lot. He was off of casein for 18 months and as we tried him back on it we didn't see the regression that we see when he gets gluten, so now we're just gf, too. :jumping1: That helps so much not to have to watch for the casein...he's happier about his diet restrictions now that we've been able to back off on that one thing. Gluten is gone for the long haul since they tend to make him break out with canker sores.

Thanks for all the great responses and ideas! I had not thought being able to work with the restaurants for any dietery changes at Disney. I thought I would just have to choose best for him. I do think that I will request a GAC, I think the stares of people by using it beat the stares of them for an ASD child in the middle of a meltdown, with people just thinking and commenting he's some spoiled uncontrolable brat and they would never let their children behave like that! :sad2: :mad: (as I'm sure I am not alone in experiencing!) Thanks again everyone!

We always get a GAC for our 6 year old ASD son. He is also deaf and just does not understand waiting in line or taking turns or anything. He gets agitated if can't see the consequence for his action-meaning he does not know what he is waiting for so he meltsdown during long waits. We only used the GAC at MK as the other rides at the other parks were pretty much walk ons. We took advantage of the evening EMH and we went in the off season which was nice. We only use the GAC when the line is longer than 15 minutes since he could probably tolerate 20 minutes before meltdown. We used it quite a bit at MK and never once got a dirty look or stare from anyone. I did get dirty looks from the nasties in line at the Pooh ride when he had a meltdown in front of that line. You would of thought he murdered someone the way these people stared at me. All he was ding was laying on the ground and refusing to get up. No screaming or crying or anything so I was just allowing him to get over himself so we could move on and these people looked at me like I was the worst mother in the world. If I had been closer I would have handed out some of the cards I had made up pre-trip explaining ASD and overstimulation, but I was to far away so I just stared back at them with a nasty look on my face too!

Carrieberry,
Our sons sound similar. Thanks for your response. I think is was a great idea for you to make those cards. I usually will not say a word just focus on helping my son, but I have rudely snapped "he autistic" before when someone was making a "can't you control your kid" comment. :guilty: Your way gets the point across and is still very polite. ;)

SueM in MN said:
ATo request a GAC, go to Guest Services in any of the parks with the person with a disability. Be ready to explain the needs to the CM there. GACs are usually issued to be valid for your entire length of stay and the same GAC is used in all the parks (no need to get one in each park). If you go to the water parks, you will need to go to Guest Services there to find out what assistance they provide.

Hi! My ds5 is being diagnosed with ASD...not sure yet if the final verdict will be HFA, Asp, or PDD-NOS. What would we need to do to get the GAC card? I'm assuming we'd need some kind of "proof", right? If so, I kind of think I might feel funny asking his dr for a "note" for Disney.

thanks---and this is a very cool board!! Glad I found it! :flower:

Another website does suggest getting the doctor to write a note. I have read on earlier threads that you can actually explain the needs of your child to the castmember and they can give you a card, or you can write down the diagnosis and needs if you feel uncomfortable talking about the situation in front of your child or might get upset when discussing your child's needs. Another poster suggested taking along written reports or IEP notes to show diagnosis, but you have to discuss the child's needs and not just the diagnosis. I plan to get one for my DS who is PDD-NOS, but I am hoping to use fast passes and go early so that I do not have to use the card any more than necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter