ASD child at Disney...

We got ours on our first day when we were at AK. We walked into guest relations, my husband said our son as autistic and the CM held up his hand and said "enough said". He got the card out and started filing it out, asking us about any mobility issues. We did bring our son's IEP from school that has the diagnosis listed on it, but we did not need it.

Disneymomofsix said:
Another website does suggest getting the doctor to write a note. I have read on earlier threads that you can actually explain the needs of your child to the castmember and they can give you a card, or you can write down the diagnosis and needs if you feel uncomfortable talking about the situation in front of your child or might get upset when discussing your child's needs. Another poster suggested taking along written reports or IEP notes to show diagnosis, but you have to discuss the child's needs and not just the diagnosis. I plan to get one for my DS who is PDD-NOS, but I am hoping to use fast passes and go early so that I do not have to use the card any more than necessary.

The ADA makes it so you don't have to "prove" a diagnosis. You need to be able state what your (or your child's) needs are to be able to get an appropriate GAC. The CM's don't know what needs the person has just by hearing what their diagnosis is, they need to know the actual needs to be able to help out. Two people with the same diagnosis could possibly have different needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter