Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

I'm pretty sure (99%) I'm cancelling my trip for March 28.

I still can't believe people are still going.
I have already cancelled the idea of going on a cruise In May but I'm 98%positive I will reschedule our WDW stay in May as well. ITMt wouldn't be relaxing going to the pool and monorail and restaurants with this worry always in my mind and with 4 lil children to always watch out

I'm pretty sure (99%) I'm cancelling my trip for March 28.

I still can't believe people are still going.

I wouldn't cancel my trip yet but I live in NYC. On a daily basis, I am in closer proximity to more people than I ever am at Disney just riding the train. Its interesting that even with cases here, there aren't that many more people walking around with masks or avoiding trains/tourist spots etc. Life is acting pretty much like normal and I can't see why Disney wouldn't be the same just with extra cleaning measures in place.

Investment bankers and stock advisors are saying on the news today they are confident that the the Disney parks in the US will be closing at some point. Again nothing official but the investment industry watch these companies closely.

Last edited:

I have a feeling temperature screening is coming soon.

I think theme park have less risk than cruise ships, but I can't believe they are doing what they can now to prevent the parks from becoming the next "incubator."

I'm cancelling my cruise in April, thought about replacing with WDW, but I think I'm going to drive to a national park and try to mostly stay away from groups of traveling people.
Carnival is doing temperature screenings now. I have a cruise booked for August but have only paid my deposit. Guess we will see how it plays out. I just returned from a RCCL cruise where they only questioned passengers. I picked up a stomach virus while on the cruise. It was brutal.

I wouldn't cancel my trip yet but I live in NYC. On a daily basis, I am in closer proximity to more people than I ever am at Disney just riding the train. Its interesting that even with cases here, there aren't that many more people walking around with masks or avoiding trains/tourist spots etc. Life is acting pretty much like normal and I can't see why Disney wouldn't be the same just with extra cleaning measures in place.

Be careful out there:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...tate-total-more-than-triples-in-days/2319688/

Carnival is doing temperature screenings now. I have a cruise booked for August but have only paid my deposit. Guess we will see how it plays out. I just returned from a RCCL cruise where they only questioned passengers. I picked up a stomach virus while on the cruise. It was brutal.
I'm pretty sure RCL started the temperature screening a week ago. I'd think companies would be trying to be more proactive, than reactive.

I'm pretty sure RCL started the temperature screening a week ago. I'd think companies would be trying to be more proactive, than reactive.
Well, I boarded March 2 and there were no temperature screenings. Just verbal questions. They are probably doing them now.

As someone who lives in southern NY, where the hardest hit part of NY is, isn’t NYC. It’s the NYC suburbs. Unfortunately, I don’t think suburbia is the answer.

I will say though. People are being responsible for the most part, but riding on the train into NYC right now, the general consensus is be responsible, wash your hands, stay home if your sick, and live your life.

🤷🏼‍♀️
This could change, and quickly. Westchester county happens to be the center of an outbreak, just like the eastern Seattle suburbs were. It's just luck (bad luck in this case). If the virus gets a toehold in NYC, things will change there almost overnight.

It's good that people are being responsible, but there is only so much you can do in a crowded city, which is why China resorted to the tactics it did. Of course, they let it get out of hand far too long. It'll be interesting to see if people who've been educated about it thanks to a free press and a good governor can make enough of a difference so that those things aren't needed in NYC. I hope so.

I have a feeling temperature screening is coming soon.

I think theme park have less risk than cruise ships, but I can't believe they are doing what they can now to prevent the parks from becoming the next "incubator."

I'm cancelling my cruise in April, thought about replacing with WDW, but I think I'm going to drive to a national park and try to mostly stay away from groups of traveling people.

A cruise ship is about the worst due to people being close together for so long at a time. So easy to spread that way. Though things like standing in lines for flight of passage are not going to help.

I'm scheduled for star wars half marathon weekend in mid-april. Not sure what things will look like then. I think we are going to see US cases go up a lot the next 7-10 days and then we'll see what happens. I know coachella is considering postponing now.

Investment bankers and stock advisors are saying on the news today they are confident that the the Disney parks in the US will be closing at some point. Again nothing official but the investment industry watch these companies closely.

My coworkers brother works for some government entity and was about to go to WDW on a free trip given by his employer. They cancelled it and told him that Disney is on the verge of closing so they will be rescheduling his trip. I have no idea how true this is but she just told me this about 15 minutes ago (after hanging up with her brother) and then I saw your post.

Last edited:
I just talked to my niece who is a nurse practitioner. She is supposed to go to Disney at the end of march for a conference. She said she is waiting to hear if they cancel and if they do, if she will get a refund.

Interesting news out of Italy today. 10,149 confirmed cases, 631 deaths. So that's over 6%. And deaths should be lagging cases. In order to get to a 3% death rate, Italy would have to be undercounting by more than half who has been infected. Confirmed cases also lags infections of course, but the numbers look very odd given the 1-3% we have been pinning our hopes on. The horrible numbers out of Italy are, however, absolutely in line with the drastic measures that country took today to quarantine the whole society.

Most of us thought China was lying. We all wondered what would happen in a western society with western medical care. Well... the answers are not good. Does this justify the public panic? Absolutely not. But it does justify the alarm bells that have rung loudest in the medical community.

I expect DL will be shut at some point. Given the news out of Santa Clara County in CA and their ban on large gatherings, the precedent is already happening. We will see about WDW. Though given FL's tourism industry, which is prime to spread infection, and the large elderly population, which is prime to die from this virus, it's got to be a huge state of concern. Florida skews toward all the worst factors for both propagation and death rate.

A cruise ship is about the worst due to people being close together for so long at a time. So easy to spread that way. Though things like standing in lines for flight of passage are not going to help.

I'm scheduled for star wars half marathon weekend in mid-april. Not sure what things will look like then. I think we are going to see US cases go up a lot the next 7-10 days and then we'll see what happens. I know coachella is considering postponing now.

As they roll out a much greater testing capacity across the US, a great many cases will be uncovered. So I hope the authorities don't over-react (though there's no evidence of that happening right now, lol) but it's something to keep in mind. If you start looking for something, that's when you find it. It's thought that quite a few conditions that we see more of now are just things we never looked for very much before.

On the other hand, the only way to control the virus is to know it's there, so seeing more cases can be a positive sign as well.

The countries that say they have no cases are the ones I worry about the most. They just aren't looking.

Interesting news out of Italy today. 10,149 confirmed cases, 631 deaths. So that's over 6%. And deaths should be lagging cases. In order to get to a 3% death rate, Italy would have to be undercounting by more than half who has been infected. Confirmed cases also lags infections of course, but the numbers look very odd given the 1-3% we have been pinning our hopes on. The horrible numbers out of Italy are, however, absolutely in line with the drastic measures that country took today to quarantine the whole society.

Most of us thought China was lying. We all wondered what would happen in a western society with western medical care. Well... the answers are not good. Does this justify the public panic? Absolutely not. But it does justify the alarm bells that have rung loudest in the medical community.

I expect DL will be shut at some point. Given the news out of Santa Clara County in CA and their ban on large gatherings, the precedent is already happening. We will see about WDW. Though given FL's tourism industry, which is prime to spread infection, and the large elderly population, which is prime to die from this virus, it's got to be a huge state of concern. Florida skews toward all the worst factors for both propagation and death rate.
Agree 100%.

As they roll out a much greater testing capacity across the US, a great many cases will be uncovered. So I hope the authorities don't over-react (though there's no evidence of that happening right now, lol) but it's something to keep in mind. If you start looking for something, that's when you find it. It's thought that quite a few conditions that we see more of now are just things we never looked for very much before.

On the other hand, the only way to control the virus is to know it's there, so seeing more cases can be a positive sign as well.

The countries that say they have no cases are the ones I worry about the most. They just aren't looking.

The big danger is what is happening in Italy where it is overwhelming the health care system. That is when things spiral out of control which is why it needs to be contained before that can happen and with our lack of testing here in the US we could already be past the point of being able to contain it. If you read reports out of places like italy it is not a good situation at all.

The number of places cancelling events and things to help prevent he spread of this is only accelerating and for good measure. If you look at cases in NC, 5 of them got it at the same convention.

I think sporting events are coming as much as I hate it. Not cancelled but no fans. Jeopary and Wheel just announced they are doing that.

Despite its reputation, Florida actually has a younger average age than almost every part of Italy. It’s the oldest country in Europe based on most estimates so really was the worst possible candidate for a bad outbreak.

Edited to add WSJ article about this same thing: https://www.wsj.com/articles/italy-...lds-highest-death-rate-from-virus-11583785086

Where did you see this?

Nevermind!

Here's an update: https://deadline.com/2020/03/entert...ares-rise-will-disney-parks-close-1202878244/

“In the COVID-19 era, the most common and difficult question for media investors has been: at what price do DIS shares become interesting? Our answer is “we’re getting pretty close,” but believe there is still more bad news to get out of the way. We expect the domestic parks to shut down. Perhaps that will be the day to start buying DIS shares,” wrote Bernstein analyst Todd Juenger in a morning note.​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter