Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

2 teams of 12, 3-5 coaches per team, 4 refs...and then the camera, broadcast, stadium, and security crew (all at barebones levels)...with everyone, other than the teams, spread WAAAY the heck out...and cops probably enforcing the closure outside...probably 100-150 total people tops...

Broadcast coverage keeping panic levels down...probably decided the trade-offs were still worth it...

That is the most likely outcome IMO.

Was it like this in 2009 with H1N1? I know the outbreaks are different but H1N1 I believe was the last pandemic.

I suspect that going to online instruction in our universities is because if there would be a campus outbreak, they are not equipped to deal with a quarantine of all those students. better to have them at home where they aren't responsible for them.
Yes, and I'm sure they're all haunted by the fact that the 1918 flu epidemic ripped through Army barracks like wildfire, and then those men spread it all around the world. Dorms are worse than cruise ships. It would be a nightmare.
Was it like this in 2009 with H1N1? I know the outbreaks are different but H1N1 I believe was the last pandemic.
Nope. Nothing like this has happened in the memory of any living person, unless you are 100+ years old and very precocious as a child.
However, the supplementing isn't going to do anything other than make your urine more valuable and your wallet lighter.
Yes, as my DH (the internist) is fond of saying, Americans have the most expensive pee in the world, for all the good it does us. ;)

2 teams of 12, 3-5 coaches per team, 4 refs...and then the camera, broadcast, stadium, and security crew (all at barebones levels)...with everyone, other than the teams, spread WAAAY the heck out...and cops probably enforcing the closure outside...probably 100-150 total people tops...

Broadcast coverage keeping panic levels down...probably decided the trade-offs were still worth it...
If you want people to stay at home you have to provide them with entertainment options that will keep then in their homes.

Nope. Nothing like this has happened in the memory of any living person, unless you are 100+ years old and very precocious as a child.

Just to make sure I understand your response. Are you saying the social/government response to this pandemic has not happened in the memory of any living person? Or are you saying a pandemic like this has not happened? Obviously we don't know where this one will end up but the statistics for H1N1 are insane as well.

Just to make sure I understand your response. Are you saying the social/government response to this pandemic has not happened in the memory of any living person? Or are you saying a pandemic like this has not happened? Obviously we don't know where this one will end up but the statistics for H1N1 are insane as well.
Both. I feel very confident in saying this will outstrip H1N1 in number of deaths by the time it is through.

Yes, and I'm sure they're all haunted by the fact that the 1918 flu epidemic ripped through Army barracks like wildfire, and then those men spread it all around the world. Dorms are worse than cruise ships. It would be a nightmare.
The latest here, University of Kentucky is going online for 2 weeks. Kids are however, allowed to go to their campus housing. My sons school has not made an announcement yet.

Yes, as my DH (the internist) is fond of saying, Americans have the most expensive pee in the world, for all the good it does us. ;)

I don't think pushing is the right word. He's issuing an executive order that there are no spectators and under a state of emergency he has that power. So he isn;'t pushing so much as ordering that happen.
It started out as a suggestion. Now it is a directive. I’m a Kentuckian so not following Ohio quite as closely.

I have a trip to Universal in April. Unless something drastic changes, we're going. Besides, I was suppose to die in 2012 when the Mayan calendar ended so I've been playing with house money for the last 8 years.

Converse point - keeping Disney open in a state chock FULL of retirees will destroy the Florida healthcare system as it suffers an outbreak akin to Lombardy...so economy over health - one has to win, and usually that one tends to be what keeps folks alive...

Maybe or Maybe not healthcare is a for profit industry in this nation and we close unprofitable hospitals all the time. I agree Florida does have a average older population then the rest of the country but that average age is only 42.2 Italys average age is still older at 45.5. I would say closing Disney would put more of a fear in the local Florida population which could cause a larger run on supplies, and increase doctor visits out of fear from that aging population. That in itself could strain the healthcare system. At the end of the day its prob all going to be politics, and business that determines this all. You may not agree with it and if you dont thats perfectly fine but to change the status quo you would have to vote for change, not just at the presidential and federal level but at the local state levels as well.

Well it's official. NCAA men's and women's tournaments will have no fans. That is going to be bizzare.

Now I'm really starting to expect star wars races to be cancelled in the same vein as Paris cancelling their hard ticket event and limiting meet and greets.

Well it's official. NCAA men's and women's tournaments will have no fans. That is going to be bizzare.

Now I'm really starting to expect star wars races to be cancelled in the same vein as Paris cancelling their hard ticket event and limiting meet and greets.
At the rate things are moving now, WDW and DL might be closed down tomorrow. What has happened so far today is unprecedented and is going to put an uncomfortable amount of pressure on Disney to shut down.

At the rate things are moving now, WDW and DL might be closed down tomorrow. What has happened so far today is unprecedented and is going to put an uncomfortable amount of pressure on Disney to shut down.

I agree but I think they would first scale back things like we are seeing in paris before a complete shutdown but things are definitely moving very very quickly so who knows at this point.

I'm already seeing thiings like "if ncaa is going to shot down shouldn't we shut down all restaurants too?" (which are nowhere near similar but ii digress) and people pointing at places like disney, universal, etc. is going to come. If we are going to crack down on large gatherings (which we should do), that is exactly what any theme park is.

Im a season ticket holder for SFOG and they just sent something out this morning similar to what we've heard from disney (more cleaning, more hand washing stations, more hygine signs) but will that be enough to avoid pressure to shut down? not sure. The NCAA thing is a freaking big deal and is going to change everybody's thinking. Going to be an interesting few days.

H1N1 1st year deaths (2009) recomputed in 2012 151.7K-575K (more than 15x higher than the direct rates reported in the year 2009) - so reported rates were vastly underreported as they happened - which everyone thinks is also happening here (see Iran, China, the US at the nursing home, etc)...

Dividing those estimates by 15 (since I'm struggling to find the numbers reported as it went) gives you reported WW deaths of 10,113 to 38333 in 2009.

Yes, this virus is almost surely to be higher than those numbers even if we shut the whole world down now for the year...just by where we are today...4607 deaths in 6 weeks, as reported)...

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/pandemic-global-estimates.htm

Maybe or Maybe not healthcare is a for profit industry in this nation and we close unprofitable hospitals all the time. I agree Florida does have a average older population then the rest of the country but that average age is only 42.2 Italys average age is still older at 45.5. I would say closing Disney would put more of a fear in the local Florida population which could cause a larger run on supplies, and increase doctor visits out of fear from that aging population. That in itself could strain the healthcare system. At the end of the day its prob all going to be politics, and business that determines this all. You may not agree with it and if you dont thats perfectly fine but to change the status quo you would have to vote for change, not just at the presidential and federal level but at the local state levels as well.
Only 21% of hospitals in this country are owned by for profit companies. The two largest owners of hospitals in this country are governments and religious organizations.

Why both? I understand the social/government response part but we don't know how this will end up or solid statistics yet. What makes you able to say that this is the worst outbreak in over 100 years?
Well, I've been posting on this thread for a little while, and it's a complicated issue with many variables. If you are really interested, just scroll back and read what I've written. And there was a thread on the Disney Cruise Line that is even older than this one, a lot of my initial posting was done there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter