Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

I strongly dislike when people make sweeping general statements like "it's a mild illness for most people" and "most people will be fine" as though that means no one should be worried about it or make any meaningful changes to their own behavior.

Those statements cause people to relax TOO much and at this point we have seen how that can end up.

And mild just means an ability to avoid hospitalization. Even reading folks on the disboards who have no issues and are under 50, this is no fun, and you literally can't leave bed for days at a time due to shortness of breath. Now, imagine folks panicking that they are struggling to breathe, and knowing they'll be told to stay home anyway (or get sent home from hospitals)...

Goodness, you're funny. :rolleyes2

Having the ability to be a critical thinker is a great asset, especially in times like these when those who are supposed to be making decisions aren't and most of what we get is fear-mongering.
At this point, I honestly don't think it's fear-mongering.
..... geometric growth and the potential effects of a small percentage death rate applied to a large population in a short time.
And this is why.

I have worked in, and until very recently was on the board (including being board chair) of a of a medium-sized hospital. This has the potential to bring our healthcare system to its knees, and then other people who don't have COVID19 will suffer, too. I've watched it develop over the last two months and so far, everything I thought would happen has happened, albeit more slowly because the first travel ban was more effective than we thought it would be- but we may have wasted some of that time.

And I'm pretty sick of hearing that it only affects older people, or those with other illnesses. They are people too, and deserve everything it takes to keep them safe. Some day all of us are going to be older, and have health conditions. And one characteristic of civilized society is that it takes care of all of its members- especially in America where the individual is paramount. It doesn't matter if that person is 65 with diabetes or a 25 weeker who should still be in utero. We can disagree about how to achieve that in normal circumstances, and we do, but these aren't normal circumstances. In terms of this virus, it means all hands on deck and the economy be damned. Thank God.

In addition, because of the numbers @freshmanjs alluded to, we shouldn't imagine it won't hit younger people. It will, just because there are so many of them.

Anyway, just my two cents worth. Fire away, but that's how I see it.

I think I'm done with these threads. They are giving more anxiety than anything.

Good luck everyone. Stay healthy and calm. :)

I don't see what DLgal said as a threat. I understand that is Farro's opinion and they are entitled to it.
My sister is an Infectious Diseases RN. She is on the front-lines of this once it hits her city. I've been open about that, so yes, I view it as a threat, meaningless as it is.

Out of respect for Ryan, I'm moving on (and getting off the internet for a while).

I'm surprised they haven't announced anything yet. Full med gear for crews won't work and is unnecessary.

Indycar should be more on top of it imo. Several years back one of the drivers got the measles so all the crew guys that were at the track for all teams had to either get a new shot or bring in their shot records. Fun day at work for that one but all our guys had records even if their mom's had to dig it up 😁

Plus some owners/race team people are over or well over 60 so you'd think that would speed things up. I'm sure all the owners are talking too. Trucks would have rolled today, maybe yesterday. They have to cone out with an announcement today I would think and some fans will have already traveled...

Mayor of St. Pete said no general admission tickets this weekend. Another announcement coming this afternoon. I expect them to postpone the race.

NASCAR will not run this weekend in Miami.

Mayor of St. Pete said no general admission tickets this weekend. Another announcement coming this afternoon. I expect them to postpone the race.

NASCAR will not run this weekend in Miami.

Nascar was never going to run in miami this weekend, the race is in atlanta. Just looked on nascar.com and don't see an announcement, where'd you read it?

For the majority of people, *if* they even get the virus, it will be very mild. The economic impact has a much more serious reach and repercussions.

You and I usually see eye-to-eye on things, but this does read as if you really don't have much care or concern for those of us who are older and have more potential for serious illness. I'm sure that's not how you intended it to be, but that is how it comes across - to me, anyway.

You and I usually see eye-to-eye on things, but this does read as if you really don't have much care or concern for those of us who are older and have more potential for serious illness. I'm sure that's not how you intended it to be, but that is how it comes across - to me, anyway.

Per the CDC website cases are generally mild.

Welp, my youngest's band trip to WDW got cancelled 4 hours before his flight was to leave Austin. I've got one disappointed camper on my hands now. They say they'll be rescheduling. Who knows when?
🤷‍♂️
Aww, poor guy! My oldest's DLP trip was cancelled last minute too. it's tough on the kids who have been looking forward to stuff for ages, even if it is for the best.

Welp, my youngest's band trip to WDW got cancelled 4 hours before his flight was to leave Austin. I've got one disappointed camper on my hands now. They say they'll be rescheduling. Who knows when?
🤷‍♂️

My daughter's school senior trip left Tuesday (to Disney). They arrive Saturday. My kids aren't seniors this year. Seems to be a case by case basis on schools going.

It's not anger - it's concern. Yes, most cases are going to be mild, but not all. This does concern me. Seems odd to me that others wouldn't be.
It's is like some people don't realize they have parents or grandparents and most likely have other family or friends who have a medical condition the makes this virus particularly deadly to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter