Atlanta Braves to move from WWoS

Not a big baseball fan either way, but I'm not sure that anyone can really say that the location of the new stadium is that far removed from Atlanta... Maybe a mile or two from an Atlanta address, if that? Also, the current stadium is in a pretty sketchy area, too.

I'm definitely not an expert on Braves baseball,but I've always followed the team to a degree as when I was a kid before we got the Marlins in 1993 we had TBS playing 100 or more Braves games a year, also I know the current manager who amazingly was a security guard and baseball coach at my high school when I went there. I've heard the majority of the Braves fan base comes from the northern Atlanta metro counties and that's where the new stadium will be. I don't know how good public transportation will be or traffic patterns but it's location looks well inside of what I would consider it the Metro Atlanta area, it's definitely not good for a fan living south of Atlanta but if what they say is true about the fan base it makes sense.

As far as spring training,it looks like Disney will end up without a team as these teams want nearby teams to play each other to avoid travel time.With Houston who plays in Kissimmee and Washington who plays in Viera both moving to Palm Beach county the Braves only have Detroit within an hour's drive in lakeland,all the other teams are in the Tampa Bay area,the Fort Myers area,the Mets in Port Saint Lucie and the Marlins and Cardinals in Jupiter,all these locations are 1 hour 15 minutes to 2 hours and a half away.Back in the early 90's Homestead Florida,at the southernmost point of Miami,actually closer to Key largo than Miami wanted to draw the Cleveland Indians and built a stadium that has mostly sat empty since it was built,I don't think Homestead got the memo about being too far away,what team wants to be 2+ hours from the closest team and as far as 5-6 hours from some others,it doesn't make sense to be sitting in buses traveling around the state when they could use this time actually training,the newest thing in Florida and Arizona is for 2 teams to share a stadium like the Marlins and Cardinals do,they play each other a bunch of times which I'm sure those who frequent the games prefer to see more teams but getting more training time is the most important thing.

This will be "my" third Atlanta Braves stadium, so I've been around a long time, I know the areas very well, having both lived and worked in both.

- Our family = big baseball fans and big Atlanta fans. We follow both closely.
- Yes the new stadium is approximately 4 miles outside the City of Atlanta city limits, but in Atlanta, these lines mean absolutely nothing other than to infrastructure/services and those are very key points for the Braves and this new location.
- While Cobb County borders Fulton they have made it very clear for DECADES that they have no intention to be associated or part of the City and they refused (for sad reasons) to participate in the Metro Atlanta Transportation System. They operate as an entity that has no reason to interface or work with the surrounding counties.
- Metro Atlanta is HUGE and the size of a small state. It is 7 times BIGGER than Rhode Island.
- Traveling around a metro area this large - one with horrendous traffic issues - can be a deal breaker for taking a job let alone going to a baseball game.
- Any event consideration .... weekday? what time? sorry no.
- We live in a northern suburb. With road infrastructure design and traffic we can get to the downtown Atlanta stadium much faster than the new location.
- The current stadium is walking distance from "Downtown Atlanta" and the metro train system. If you don't want to walk you can take the shuttle bus from the train direct to the stadium. This train serves both the northern and southern suburbs allowing us to easily get to a game when the traffic prevents us from driving.
- There will be NO train, no public transportation that can serve the new location. All fans will have to drive.
- There is parking at the current stadium (8500 spots) and while it can use more (a "reason" the Braves are moving), it functions along with the transportation system.
- The new stadium will have 6000 spots (what happened to need more?) and NO transportation system, which means EVERYONE will be driving there ..... and now there are way too few spots and a location boxed in.
- Current stadium is NOT in a sketch area. NEVER in decades have me or my family or my friends or anyone I have ever talked to or heard of had safety issues at the stadium. It is bordered by interstate and owned newer town homes. To the south are some lower income older houses but they make no impact. The area has very active neighborhood associations and honestly they are probably more glad to see the baseball crowds leave. Safe enough that Georgia State University wants to build dorms on the property. Affluent, no - Safe, yes.
- The new stadium is boxed in by interstate on two sides, one 12+ lanes. To the south of this interstate is nice mall, offices, convention and concert venue. On the Braves side other than a couple older office buildings by highway, the area is run down, unsafe and a place I wouldn't drive to at night let alone get out of my car. Two sides of a interstate are day and night.
- Their plan to park fans cars on the safer side of the highway and bus them is an ongoing issue as the safe side is now throwing up roadblocks. I don't blame them. They have nothing to gain by hosting all these fans cars, trash and tailgating.
- On a map all looks peachy and that is probably why the owner (who has no connection with our city) thinks like others, no big deal. SIT IN OUR TRAFFIC, think gridlock, even at 3 pm, think that all things in life are planned around it and you will see that it will be a logistical nightmare.
- Yes many fans live "north" but until you understand Atlanta traffic geography then you won't understand this situation at all.
- Note "north" also means all the millennials who live in midtown, Buckhead and many City of Atlanta neighborhoods technically north of downtown but really in Atlanta. This group is a huge fan base and now with the traffic aggravation they would have to sit in ... the bars with tvs are likely to get them. Big fan base diminished.

Braves games made very little money for the City of Atlanta which is why they never blinked when the team threatened to leave and happily announced the property would be for sale before the Braves even started playing this year. Cobb Commission has committed a massive debt on to the back of it's taxpayers because somehow they think there will be money to be made. Atlanta wins, Cobb taxpayers lose, Braves will LOSE MANY attending fans (thank you cable tv) and hey, the Braves continue to lose on the field. But then again, we have a HORRIBLE manager who is happy to sit in the dugout doing nothing but collect a paycheck. I really wished our owners were more interested in BASEBALL and the FANS .... but they are not.

Sorry so wordy but for non-baseball, non-Atlanta fans to simplify this and say - oh it's still in Metro Atlanta - without an understanding the the layout, design and function of our city - you need to understand that this is a huge blow to many Braves fans, many of whom live "north of the city" who have supported this team through thick and thin.

Regarding the Florida move - it is necessary for their play schedule! I doubt Disney ever expected them to stay beyond the contract. WWoS is going to go through some transitions and that has even started with some of the youth tournament play they are scheduling (and cancelling) for 2016. It's all about making money for Disney, as it should be.

Last edited:
Not a big baseball fan either way, but I'm not sure that anyone can really say that the location of the new stadium is that far removed from Atlanta... Maybe a mile or two from an Atlanta address, if that? Also, the current stadium is in a pretty sketchy area, too.

Not sure about this situation but when my own town got its first major sports franchise, what happened was that location, location, location had nothing to do with the convenience of customers visiting the venue. It had everything to do with the real estate investments of the franchise owners.

It works like this: buy land in a somewhat out-of-the-way location that is rather poorly serviced and fairly inconvenient for the public to access. This land is a lot cheaper to buy. Then acquire or move a sports franchise there, and use the media and fan hype to pressure the authorities into making the zoning and infrastructure changes required to turn your turkey of a stadium location into a gold nugget. Not just the money that you can make on the sports facility, but on the previously undervalued land all around the venue which hopefully you can turn into a popular, trendy location and then flip or rent out at much higher rates than otherwise. Q.E.D.

Not sure about this situation but when my own town got its first major sports franchise, what happened was that location, location, location had nothing to do with the convenience of customers visiting the venue. It had everything to do with the real estate investments of the franchise owners.

It works like this: buy land in a somewhat out-of-the-way location that is rather poorly serviced and fairly inconvenient for the public to access. This land is a lot cheaper to buy. Then acquire or move a sports franchise there, and use the media and fan hype to pressure the authorities into making the zoning and infrastructure changes required to turn your turkey of a stadium location into a gold nugget. Not just the money that you can make on the sports facility, but on the previously undervalued land all around the venue which hopefully you can turn into a popular, trendy location and then flip or rent out at much higher rates than otherwise. Q.E.D.
Exactly. Living in Wisconsin we have the Packers, Brewers, and bucks as the professional sports teams.

The Packers are the only NFL team from a small city that has survived and then thrived (Go Pack Go). Lambeau is a NFL landmark and is pretty much directly in the city of Green Bay.

The Brewers are a small market MLB team. They play at Miller park which is still within the city of Milwaukee but on the outskirts of the city.

The Bucks are the only team we have that is directly in the middle of a major city. Currently the Bucks are in the process of getting a new stadium set to start construction early next year. Because the city played hard to get with land other options like moving out of the city of Milwaukee were seriously looked at. Ultimately they are building the new stadium right next to the current one.

Another example out of Wisconsin could be the Dallas Cowboys. That stadium is in Arlington not Dallas.

Exactly. Living in Wisconsin we have the Packers, Brewers, and bucks as the professional sports teams.

The Packers are the only NFL team from a small city that has survived and then thrived (Go Pack Go). Lambeau is a NFL landmark and is pretty much directly in the city of Green Bay.

The Brewers are a small market MLB team. They play at Miller park which is still within the city of Milwaukee but on the outskirts of the city.

The Bucks are the only team we have that is directly in the middle of a major city. Currently the Bucks are in the process of getting a new stadium set to start construction early next year. Because the city played hard to get with land other options like moving out of the city of Milwaukee were seriously looked at. Ultimately they are building the new stadium right next to the current one.

Another example out of Wisconsin could be the Dallas Cowboys. That stadium is in Arlington not Dallas.
And them there's the patriots, who play in literally a boondock in the middle of Massachusetts lol

This will be "my" third Atlanta Braves stadium, so I've been around a long time, I know the areas very well, having both lived and worked in both.

- Our family = big baseball fans and big Atlanta fans. We follow both closely.
- Yes the new stadium is approximately 4 miles outside the City of Atlanta city limits, but in Atlanta, these lines mean absolutely nothing other than to infrastructure/services and those are very key points for the Braves and this new location.
- While Cobb County borders Fulton they have made it very clear for DECADES that they have no intention to be associated or part of the City and they refused (for sad reasons) to participate in the Metro Atlanta Transportation System. They operate as an entity that has no reason to interface or work with the surrounding counties.
- Metro Atlanta is HUGE and the size of a small state. It is 7 times BIGGER than Rhode Island.
- Traveling around a metro area this large - one with horrendous traffic issues - can be a deal breaker for taking a job let alone going to a baseball game.
- Any event consideration .... weekday? what time? sorry no.
- We live in a northern suburb. With road infrastructure design and traffic we can get to the downtown Atlanta stadium much faster than the new location.
- The current stadium is walking distance from "Downtown Atlanta" and the metro train system. If you don't want to walk you can take the shuttle bus from the train direct to the stadium. This train serves both the northern and southern suburbs allowing us to easily get to a game when the traffic prevents us from driving.
- There will be NO train, no public transportation that can serve the new location. All fans will have to drive.
- There is parking at the current stadium (8500 spots) and while it can use more (a "reason" the Braves are moving), it functions along with the transportation system.
- The new stadium will have 6000 spots (what happened to need more?) and NO transportation system, which means EVERYONE will be driving there ..... and now there are way too few spots and a location boxed in.
- Current stadium is NOT in a sketch area. NEVER in decades have me or my family or my friends or anyone I have ever talked to or heard of had safety issues at the stadium. It is bordered by interstate and owned newer town homes. To the south are some lower income older houses but they make no impact. The area has very active neighborhood associations and honestly they are probably more glad to see the baseball crowds leave. Safe enough that Georgia State University wants to build dorms on the property. Affluent, no - Safe, yes.
- The new stadium is boxed in by interstate on two sides, one 12+ lanes. To the south of this interstate is nice mall, offices, convention and concert venue. On the Braves side other than a couple older office buildings by highway, the area is run down, unsafe and a place I wouldn't drive to at night let alone get out of my car. Two sides of a interstate are day and night.
- Their plan to park fans cars on the safer side of the highway and bus them is an ongoing issue as the safe side is now throwing up roadblocks. I don't blame them. They have nothing to gain by hosting all these fans cars, trash and tailgating.
- On a map all looks peachy and that is probably why the owner (who has no connection with our city) thinks like others, no big deal. SIT IN OUR TRAFFIC, think gridlock, even at 3 pm, think that all things in life are planned around it and you will see that it will be a logistical nightmare.
- Yes many fans live "north" but until you understand Atlanta traffic geography then you won't understand this situation at all.
- Note "north" also means all the millennials who live in midtown, Buckhead and many City of Atlanta neighborhoods technically north of downtown but really in Atlanta. This group is a huge fan base and now with the traffic aggravation they would have to sit in ... the bars with tvs are likely to get them. Big fan base diminished.

Braves games made very little money for the City of Atlanta which is why they never blinked when the team threatened to leave and happily announced the property would be for sale before the Braves even started playing this year. Cobb Commission has committed a massive debt on to the back of it's taxpayers because somehow they think there will be money to be made. Atlanta wins, Cobb taxpayers lose, Braves will LOSE MANY attending fans (thank you cable tv) and hey, the Braves continue to lose on the field. But then again, we have a HORRIBLE manager who is happy to sit in the dugout doing nothing but collect a paycheck. I really wished our owners were more interested in BASEBALL and the FANS .... but they are not.

Sorry so wordy but for non-baseball, non-Atlanta fans to simplify this and say - oh it's still in Metro Atlanta - without an understanding the the layout, design and function of our city - you need to understand that this is a huge blow to many Braves fans, many of whom live "north of the city" who have supported this team through thick and thin.

Regarding the Florida move - it is necessary for their play schedule! I doubt Disney ever expected them to stay beyond the contract. WWoS is going to go through some transitions and that has even started with some of the youth tournament play they are scheduling (and cancelling) for 2016. It's all about making money for Disney, as it should be.

I actually do live in Atlanta and used to live less than a mile from that new stadium, so I know the area pretty well too. I think it's ridiculous that there's no MARTA to the new stadium, absolutely. I think traffic is going to be a nightmare. Technically there's no MARTA to Turner, either, which I also thought was inconvenient.

I was just stating (which is O/T anyway) that I'd would rather walk around that area after dark than where Turner Field is now, and I think the new complex is going to be pretty nice (assuming you can get to it!) I've also never understood the outrage over the new location when it's just barely sitting OTP. Maybe if I were a Braves fan, I'd feel differently though.

I actually do live in Atlanta and used to live less than a mile from that new stadium, so I know the area pretty well too. I think it's ridiculous that there's no MARTA to the new stadium, absolutely. I think traffic is going to be a nightmare. Technically there's no MARTA to Turner, either, which I also thought was inconvenient.

I was just stating (which is O/T anyway) that I'd would rather walk around that area after dark than where Turner Field is now, and I think the new complex is going to be pretty nice (assuming you can get to it!) I've also never understood the outrage over the new location when it's just barely sitting OTP. Maybe if I were a Braves fan, I'd feel differently though.

Considering the attendance numbers they are putting up late in the season if they don't get any better there might not be any traffic to the games...other than players, wives and girlfriends and umpires!!!

And them there's the patriots, who play in literally a boondock in the middle of Massachusetts lol
Since they're "New England" Patriots it's fine,but the first time I drove through the area was the first time I realized they're closer to Provindence,R.I than to Boston.Stadiums are all about politics,money and real estate,if they don't all combine and create a perfect situation someone is going to be upset.Look at the MLS team David Beckham is trying to create in Miami,his masterplan originally was to put it in downtown Miami on an island by the port, that fell through when port businesses complained,then he tried next to it put it on Museum park also in Downtown and that didn't work either,now he's stuck possibly putting it next to the Marlins stadium or way out west at Florida International University both of which are not what he had on his mind when the opportunity of owning a team came along,eventually people settle or nothing gets done.

Professional sports teams are nothing but businesses. They are not there to help the community or enhance resident's life styles, they are there to make money. I used to be a big MLB fan but after the Diamondbacks became an "Arizona" team instead of a Phoenix team I started to lose interest. Then when one group of millionaires struck against another group of millionaires I decided I would not be spending any more money on MLB, except of course the money that is forced out of my paycheck in the form of all the taxpayer subsidies the city and county give them. It is my understanding that the Green Bay Packers are actually owned by the city, which would mean they can't blackmail the city every 10 years or so by threatening to leave if they don't get a bigger glitzier stadium or other perks. I hope taxpayers in all cities eventually stop giving hard earned tax dollars to the millionaire sports team owners. I find it interesting that the Braves are not being shamed for having a Native American related name.

Professional sports teams are nothing but businesses. They are not there to help the community or enhance resident's life styles, they are there to make money. I used to be a big MLB fan but after the Diamondbacks became an "Arizona" team instead of a Phoenix team I started to lose interest. Then when one group of millionaires struck against another group of millionaires I decided I would not be spending any more money on MLB, except of course the money that is forced out of my paycheck in the form of all the taxpayer subsidies the city and county give them. It is my understanding that the Green Bay Packers are actually owned by the city, which would mean they can't blackmail the city every 10 years or so by threatening to leave if they don't get a bigger glitzier stadium or other perks. I hope taxpayers in all cities eventually stop giving hard earned tax dollars to the millionaire sports team owners. I find it interesting that the Braves are not being shamed for having a Native American related name.
The Green Bay Packers are owned by stock holders they are a public sports team. Every so often the team opens up their stock for people to buy shares. Those shares go towards the stadium projects and things like that. One share usually runs about 250. The Packers then have a CEO/President instead of an owner.

I don't think we will ever see people stop giving their money towards sports teams especially businesses like the MLB, NFL, and NBA. Those three major leagues are huge and are worth billions.

The braves aren't shamed because the name isn't deemed discriminatory like the Washington redskins or Cleveland Indians.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter