Attendance

Except for the average healthy adult, the mortality rate is non-existent, most people will fight flu like symptoms for a bit and then be fine. Now those who are older or have compromised immune systems should take steps to minimize the possibility of being infected, but the reality is we can't live our lives in fear of what might happen.

Especially when statistically the chances of getting this disease is very low.

That being said, there are common sense things we can and should do, such as hand washing, etc. But this fear of going out in public needs to go away, it actually causes more problems than it even allegedly solves and I say allegedly, as there is actually a fair amount of evidence that not going places doesn't do anything to prevent you from getting sick.

The difference that people don't think about is Italy is how small the country is compared to the U.S.

But again, don't listen to me, but just know that the media is indeed overhyping things. Percentage wise, very few people will die from this, even if they get absolutely no medical care, the unfortunate part about that is of they don't get medical care, they don't generally get included in the statistics.

Again, I'm not saying don't take any steps to stay healthy, but I am saying cancelling trips out of fear over something that is statistically speaking very low to catch, then even lower to have serious complications and even lower.mortaliry rate, especially for the average healthy adult under 65. When I say statically, check how.many people the flu has killed is the same time frame as the Corona Virus has been on the radar and how many have contracted the flu. Also, I wouldn't travel to hotbeds of the Corona virus, such as China, etc. But when figuring out where hotbeds are, you also need to look at number of cases vs total population as well as concentration of cases.

If you do want a good source of what is reasonable, watch Doctor Mike on YouTube, he actually has common sense about this whole thing.

But again, you don't need to listen to me, just please take some time to do real research and not just look at what the media (who lies constantly in the name of making a buck) claims.

The physician who briefed congress this week informed them that it is expected that 75-150 million Americans will become infected. Let’s say only 20% of them develop clinical disease. That’s 15-30 million people sick.

Let’s say the currently-estimated 1% mortality rate holds true. That’s 150,000- 300,000 deaths from COVID19.

On the way to dying, those folks are going to tie up a lot of medical resources- isolated hospital rooms, intensive nursing, equipment like ventilators. Of course there are going to be people that receive all those resources and don’t die. So we’re goung to need that level of medical resources for how many people- maybe 3x the number of people who actually die. So we’re now looking at 450,000 to 900,000 seriously ill cases. Our healthcare system could quickly get overwhelmed.

So yes- the percentage of people expected to die is low. But it’s still a huge number.

Also- my mother dying is no more trivial to me than my nephew dying. Boggles my mind when people blow off the mortality stats as if deaths in the elderly are unimportant, only deaths of the young would be worth “worrying” about?

Also- the comparisons to flu are disingenuous. Flu is endemic and has been active worldwide and in the US since fall. Coronavirus just started- December in China and March-ish in the US. So yeah, flu has killed more people. But it got a head start.

I see lots of folks who characterize people as “panicked” from over hyped media. I personally haven’t witnessed any panic. Sure people are hoarding toilet paper which is illogical. But they’ve been told to prepare without being given a list of things it makes sense to buy. So your average joe just buys whatever everyone else is buying “to prepare”.

COVID 19 is a serious disease that is only now starting. Will it cause our society to collapse? No. But there will be lots of death, and there will be serious disruptions to try to stop the spread. People should go fully all-in on the greater good for awhile rather than being the “smart one” who knows not to buy into the “hype” from the media.

It was a close call not being stuck in our European travel mess actually... I just returned from a ski vacation in Austria last week and when I booked it last November I was deciding between that and a ski trip to northern Italy which would have happened this week...o_O
And yes, there are worse places for being stuck at than Disneyland. I guess DL would be my number one choice if I have to choose where I want to be stuck, closely followed by Hawaii I guess...(although I do prefer not being stuck anywhere at all)

My mom’s wrist is almost at 100% already. It gets tired a little more quickly than her right hand during spring cleaning and she has some trouble doing push-ups on the floor but carrying the old furniture out of my room worked great...;) (and she says “hi”:wave2:)
Wow, very glad you chose Austria over Italy! And "Hi" back to your mom! Push ups and spring cleaning? And her wrist gets tired? My wrists get tired just reading about it!

We are cancelling our trip at the end of March - have planned for two years Disney and then Hawaii - we would be gone for two weeks. Even if there is no chance we would get sick Ohio is shutting down- I can’t risk what would happen in those two weeks and worry about it all vacation - would not be a good vacation at that point. For example my dogs have to be in the kennel - what if it shuts down- what if cities get quarantined, what if I can’t get groceries when I return, what if... I can’t risk flying across the country during these types of actions even if I wouldn’t get sick. So just a slightly different perspective. May look at a cabin we can drive to since my kids will probably not have school even longer then spring break.
Your situation is understandable. So sorry about your hard decisions, though. Knowing you are doing the right thing for your family doesn't make it any easier to give up something you really wanted.

Hey everyone. I’m hoping to be able to return to the board tonight, now that the immediate crisis in my life seems to be settling... just in time for coronavirus.

I do think there is a difference in transmission issues between an indoor basketball game where 20,000 fans are held within inches of each others’ faces for hours, and an outdoor venue like a theme park. I also think just closing the park is economically harder to do than it sounds. Think of all the minimum wage hospitality and service jobs that depend on that park being open. Those individuals likely don’t have the savings to support themselves, unemployed, for weeks. So, if Disneyland closes, the hotels and restaurants will empty, and the situation may quickly become life or death for thousands of other people, just in a different way. Closing up the country only works for people who can afford to stay home with no paid work. I’m not advocating for keeping Disneyland open, mind, and I also think closure is probably 50/50 at this point. But the ramifications of “just closing” would mean devastation for hundreds of families and, in the worst case, economic collapse. You can’t just end all commercial activity.

This really sucks right now. I’m sorry for everyone whether you have cancelled your trip or not, or even had one planned or not. I think there is a mental health toll also being taken on the masses just due to maintaining a prolonged fear and fight or flight response... and that’s going to have to be addressed someday too.

Hey everyone. I’m hoping to be able to return to the board tonight...
Welcome back!
And I agree with you about the difference in transmission issues. Just in my non-scientific experience, I get sick far more often at church than I do at DLR. (And I hardly ever get sick at DLR -- but we are super careful about things like that -- and we are at church, too, but I get sick all the time there.)

Read an article (it doesn't work on this site), that Anaheim is advised to cancel gatherings of 250 people or more. So not sure what this will mean for the parks. Nothing official yet from Disney but even if they don't fully close, I wonder if they will change the way the parks operate.

Read an article (it doesn't work on this site), that Anaheim is advised to cancel gatherings of 250 people or more. So not sure what this will mean for the parks. Nothing official yet from Disney but even if they don't fully close, I wonder if they will change the way the parks operate.
There is a discussion on that over on the Disneyland Community board. The Governor's recommendation was sort of vague, so everyone is waiting for Disney to respond.
(And anytime you post a link and the website gets **** out, it means that site is banned here.)

The physician who briefed congress this week informed them that it is expected that 75-150 million Americans will become infected. Let’s say only 20% of them develop clinical disease. That’s 15-30 million people sick.

Let’s say the currently-estimated 1% mortality rate holds true. That’s 150,000- 300,000 deaths from COVID19.

On the way to dying, those folks are going to tie up a lot of medical resources- isolated hospital rooms, intensive nursing, equipment like ventilators. Of course there are going to be people that receive all those resources and don’t die. So we’re goung to need that level of medical resources for how many people- maybe 3x the number of people who actually die. So we’re now looking at 450,000 to 900,000 seriously ill cases. Our healthcare system could quickly get overwhelmed.

So yes- the percentage of people expected to die is low. But it’s still a huge number.

Also- my mother dying is no more trivial to me than my nephew dying. Boggles my mind when people blow off the mortality stats as if deaths in the elderly are unimportant, only deaths of the young would be worth “worrying” about?

Also- the comparisons to flu are disingenuous. Flu is endemic and has been active worldwide and in the US since fall. Coronavirus just started- December in China and March-ish in the US. So yeah, flu has killed more people. But it got a head start.

I see lots of folks who characterize people as “panicked” from over hyped media. I personally haven’t witnessed any panic. Sure people are hoarding toilet paper which is illogical. But they’ve been told to prepare without being given a list of things it makes sense to buy. So your average joe just buys whatever everyone else is buying “to prepare”.

COVID 19 is a serious disease that is only now starting. Will it cause our society to collapse? No. But there will be lots of death, and there will be serious disruptions to try to stop the spread. People should go fully all-in on the greater good for awhile rather than being the “smart one” who knows not to buy into the “hype” from the media.

[/QUOTE]

This post EXACTLY.

Has anyone heard of operational changes being made at US, Legoland, Sea World, or Knotts? It seems to me that all the theme parks will have to have similar responses in order to make much of a difference, though of course one would have to be the first to fall.

Iger announced they have no plans to close the parks.... I totally understand why.... shareholders, jobs, etc... but I think their tune will have to change if cast members start becoming sick etc. We’ll see how this plays out.

Iger announced they have no plans to close the parks.... I totally understand why.... shareholders, jobs, etc... but I think their tune will have to change if cast members start becoming sick etc. We’ll see how this plays out.
Yeah I heard about that too will be interesting.

In addition, the individuals that are dieing are doing so in spite of any medical interventions. So even though the majority of critically ill patients are being intubated, which is thought to be the best way to manage the airway of a critically ill COVID-19 patient, those that have preexisting conditions are still dieing. People without preexisting conditions in their 30’s-50’s are still becoming critically ill from the disease, but are being saved because doctors are able to manage their airways by intubating patients early instead of having to perform crash intubations which come with much higher risk.

If everyone continues on with their daily lives now, more people will become sick at the same time. Our healthcare systems will become quickly overwhelmed dealing with all of the COVID-19 patients on top of all of the other patients with different medical concerns or who are in need of general preventative care. Pregnant women, newborns, cancer patients, etc will also face delays in seeing doctors and receiving treatment, on top of the risk of being exposed to the virus. We will start seeing what is happening in Italy happening here - Doctors having to choose between which patients to put on a ventilator and which patients to just comfort as they die because there isn’t enough equipment for everyone that needs it.

Yes, the flu has killed more people worldwide so far this year, but the flu starts spreading worldwide in October. This virus didn’t even leave China until February. The flu has a long spread out season that doesn’t overwhelm our healthcare system because people get sick over a spread out period of 6 or more months. If 20% of the population in the US gets sick within a 4-6 week time period, there will not be enough medical personnel, ventilators, oxygen, or even hospital beds to go around.

I was in the “how much worse than the flu can it be” camp until I saw what was happening in Italy. The virus hasn’t even peaked their yet... We all need to watch closely and not make the same mistakes...

It’s not a time to panic, this isn’t where our country is in terms of the virus. But it is a time to carefully consider how we all can help stop the spread of this virus.

Last edited:
To everyone participating in this thread: This is understandably a sensitive and stressful topic for many people, so let's all try to keep our posts calm and level headed. None of us like uncertainty, and we all want more information. But this isn't a great place to vent or to go to extremes. Some people need very little to start to panic, and we really don't want to start that.
For those of you who are trying hard to post with common sense and clear heads, trying to stay positive while being realistic, thank you.

Anaheim just issued a limit to gatherings of 250 or less. I’d be really surprised if the parks stay open.

Where did you see this? It is not on the City's website or the Orange County Register, only that that they ae considering options in light of the guidelines recommended by the Governor.

Welcome back!
And I agree with you about the difference in transmission issues. Just in my non-scientific experience, I get sick far more often at church than I do at DLR. (And I hardly ever get sick at DLR -- but we are super careful about things like that -- and we are at church, too, but I get sick all the time there.)

The virus can live up to 12 hours on metal surfaces. Lots of metal at Disneyland. Lots of enclosed spaces as well. When you sneeze, it’ll travel about ten feet before dropping to the ground. So if you go, wash your hands a lot and stay away from sneezy people!

Has anyone heard of operational changes being made at US, Legoland, Sea World, or Knotts? It seems to me that all the theme parks will have to have similar responses in order to make much of a difference, though of course one would have to be the first to fall.
It is probably like a big game of chicken between the major theme parks right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter