• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Attraction effects Disney installed but doesn't use ( w/pics if possible )

BTMRR didn't have those falling rocks when going up the last incline when you're in the cave and can see the fake track supposedly blocked off by a cave-in. Used to be a couple on the sides, and at least one in the very middle. I didn't even see those rocks in there at all - as if they were completely removed from the ride. We did the ride probably 10 times over the course of our stay (the favorite of our 4 and 5 yos).

Definitely not a buzz kill or anything, but just noticed it.

One of the stops on TOT was for a picture (no not during the drop). Then it appeared on the big eyeball you passed on the way to the drops. It was there in the early years, then it was gone for a long time. Last year I saw it again once. When they don't take your picture, it is just random people in the car, otherwise you can see yourself if you look quick.

THAT'S RIGHT. I knew there was another stop.

I asked my brother, who's a ToT fanatic and knows everything about the ride, and he said there was a Twilight Zone-ish little visual effect, they took your picture and then you saw yourself, then the elevator was "struck by lightning" and the people in the vehicle vanished. Then the picture appear/disappear trick happens again (sans lightning) in the transition room.

It makes sense because while reading a ride synopsis of the other rides at the other parks, a similar thing still happens.

The best I can find was that the effect was phased out at WDW because it was done largely to prolong the otherwise very short ride (because it was only one drop). The effect worked poorly and when they switched to multiple drops, they got rid of it entirely because the additional length to the ride wasn't needed anymore and because of how the ride is structured, it allows for faster loading and processing of the cars, increasing efficiency. The other parks still include an extra scene because they're structured differently and can operate more efficiently, so no real time is really sacrificed by having it as cars already can be loaded and sent off more efficiently.

Which makes sense, really... I remember people were frustrated when it opened that the ride had such a huge line and was only, from start to finish, about a minute and a half long, a majority of it being show features and not the "thrill."

I've never seen the other ToT versions, but I've been told they're more story and effect driven then the WDW version, and that it has shutdowns a fraction of what the WDW version does.

I haven't ridden ToT in a long while (kinda gave me recurring nightmares, even though The Twilight Zone is my all time favorite television show )..but I do remember the effect of having your picture taken and then seeing it in the eyeball. It was pretty cool and it's kind of a shame that it's not there anymore. I think it added to the - "oh why oh why did I agree to ride this thing wherein my doom is now reflected in a giant eye. Hmm? "

I haven't ridden ToT in a long while (kinda gave me recurring nightmares, even though The Twilight Zone is my all time favorite television show )..but

1- I do remember the effect of having your picture taken and then seeing it in the eyeball.

2- It was pretty cool and it's kind of a shame that it's not there anymore. I think it added to the - "oh why oh why did I agree to ride this thing wherein my doom is now reflected in a giant eye. Hmm? "

1- Yes.

2- That effect was so obscure (most guests had no idea that it was an actual
photo of THEM)

-and- the fact that some miscreant and thoughtless guests would make obscene gestures when
the photo was taken...

Disney simply replaced the "specific" photo"of YOUR car with a
"generic" photo of guests... the same photo used for every ride-by.

1- Yes.

2- That effect was so obscure (most guests had no idea that it was an actual
photo of THEM)

-and- the fact that some miscreant and thoughtless guests would make obscene gestures when
the photo was taken...

Disney simply replaced the "specific" photo"of YOUR car with a
"generic" photo of guests... the same photo used for every ride-by.

When was this done? I could have sworn it was our 2011 trip that my dad pointed it out to me that it was a picture of us, and I clearly saw us in the pic. I thought it was different in 2012 though.

BTMRR didn't have those falling rocks when going up the last incline when you're in the cave and can see the fake track supposedly blocked off by a cave-in. Used to be a couple on the sides, and at least one in the very middle. I didn't even see those rocks in there at all - as if they were completely removed from the ride. We did the ride probably 10 times over the course of our stay (the favorite of our 4 and 5 yos).

Yeah, when we were there in Nov. 2011 they had tarps covering those rocks, I figured maybe parts or bits of whatever the rocks were made of were falling off (don't know for sure). When we were back in Dec. of 2012 I was looking forward to seeing if they were fixed during the refurb last year, but nope, tarps were gone but the rocks were stationary.

When was this done? I could have sworn it was our 2011 trip that my dad pointed it out to me that it was a picture of us, and I clearly saw us in the pic. I thought it was different in 2012 though.

The picture is a stock picture. We just did it a few weeks ago and my brother and I noticed that it wasn't us in the car.

This effect was waaaaay back in the day, when it first opened. It was so short-lived that I think a lot of people forgot there used to be a stop between the hallway and the transition room before the drop. Even the ToT website doesn't mention a retired or unused effect room.

That said, I just rewatched the video I took on the ride this last trip and you can CLEARLY see that you pass another door, looks like the "floor" one or two before the transition room at the top.

Yeah, when we were there in Nov. 2011 they had tarps covering those rocks, I figured maybe parts or bits of whatever the rocks were made of were falling off (don't know for sure). When we were back in Dec. of 2012 I was looking forward to seeing if they were fixed during the refurb last year, but nope, tarps were gone but the rocks were stationary.

I did see it last year, maybe January. I'm positive it was us. But they took the picture in the broken window room and not a separate stop. I looked for it again next time but it was back to the stock picture.

They may do it randomly so people can't prepare (with their fingers)

Was the ToT your-photo-in-the-eye effect in use in 2003? I spent one single day in WDW on a class trip back then and I feel like I have a vague memory of this.

Was the ToT your-photo-in-the-eye effect in use in 2003? I spent one single day in WDW on a class trip back then and I feel like I have a vague memory of this.

I doubt it... The ride stop at the floor between the hallway and the transition room has been removed from the ride for so long that most people have forgotten about it. The one site I saw that mentioned it briefly said that it was only in operation for less then 6 months after the ride opened initially.

There is, if I remember and as was said earlier, a projection of the car in the eye, but it's a stock photo. What it used to be was a whole different stop on the ascending part of the ride. You'd stop, you'd see yourselves, the car would be "struck" by lightning, I think there were even sparks by the doorway, then you'd "vanish" from the car.

It made the whole ride up a story that was more cohesive then it is now. The first stop was "your floor" but then you saw the ghosts, the second stop was the infamous lightning strike and the official entering of the "Twilight Zone," and the top was your journey through the TZ and then down you went.

And I haven't done ToT at night in a long time... Are there still sparks behind the sign when the door opens? I remember them during our first ride when it first opened, but I don't know that I've seen it recently...

If we are talking about the photo in the eye in the room in which you move forward, it is still there and operational. I am always doing idiotic things in that photo, it seems!

I never knew there was a stop between the hotel floor and that room, though...

One of the stops on TOT was for a picture (no not during the drop). Then it appeared on the big eyeball you passed on the way to the drops. It was there in the early years, then it was gone for a long time. Last year I saw it again once. When they don't take your picture, it is just random people in the car, otherwise you can see yourself if you look quick.

I did see it last year, maybe January. I'm positive it was us. But they took the picture in the broken window room and not a separate stop. I looked for it again next time but it was back to the stock picture.

They may do it randomly so people can't prepare (with their fingers)

The picture is a stock picture. We just did it a few weeks ago and my brother and I noticed that it wasn't us in the car.

This effect was waaaaay back in the day, when it first opened. It was so short-lived that I think a lot of people forgot there used to be a stop between the hallway and the transition room before the drop. Even the ToT website doesn't mention a retired or unused effect room.

That said, I just rewatched the video I took on the ride this last trip and you can CLEARLY see that you pass another door, looks like the "floor" one or two before the transition room at the top.
I am positive now that I really think on it that we saw ourselves bc I remember thinking I looked fat. Actually, my mom and dad went to WDW in 2010 for the first time, and my dad noticed it on his own. He does not do research. He would not have read about it anywhere. He noticed it, then asked me if I had ever noticed it. I hadn't, so I paid attention that time bc we were standing in line for ToT at the time. That's why I was surprised Robo said that bc I was sure I had seen it and we didn't start going until 2010 ourselves. Makes sense though if it is only done some of the time though, and I agree that it probably cuts down on a lot of the crude gestures.

My sister says and has pictiures that when her and her friends go every year they always did the following. When eating at Flame tree the characters use to come out on a raft on the lake and play music. Didn't see this when I was there in Sept of 2009. Does anyone know if they still do this?

Pulling the sword from the stone is now a Magical Moment led by a CM and whoever pulls it gets a certificate.

We were there week one December. We had twins in our group and twins tend to get attention. The both were flanking the sword at the same time and trying to pull it. My six year old helped too. Nothing. Then their two-year old cousin tried (with grandmom's spotting) and out it came. It drove the twins NUTS that she pulled it out and couldn't even tell them how!!!

No one gave anyone a certificate. We all thought it was cute!

A piece of one of the rocks fell and hit a guest on a train and that is why they removed the falling rock pieces during the refurbishment.

I am positive now that I really think on it that we saw ourselves bc I remember thinking I looked fat. Actually, my mom and dad went to WDW in 2010 for the first time, and my dad noticed it on his own. He does not do research. He would not have read about it anywhere. He noticed it, then asked me if I had ever noticed it. I hadn't, so I paid attention that time bc we were standing in line for ToT at the time. That's why I was surprised Robo said that bc I was sure I had seen it and we didn't start going until 2010 ourselves. Makes sense though if it is only done some of the time though, and I agree that it probably cuts down on a lot of the crude gestures.

This was being used some in 2012. We went several times and noticed that the picture in the eye was in fact our elevator. Towards the end of 2012 they stopped doing it. I don't know if the picture was originally taken somewhere else but during 2012 the picture was taken as soon as the doors opened the first time. As soon as they opened there was a quick photo flash of light, then the rest of the scene plays out. It was cool while it lasted, not sure why they stopped it again. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter