• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Attraction effects Disney installed but doesn't use ( w/pics if possible )

Good thread.. Only got through the 1st few pages so far...

Happy to see the GMR brought back the cowboy act... As its my husband fav. Ride!!!!

Wow, talk about a zombie thread...but I sure am glad it got resurrected! As a Disney history nerd, this is a goldmine! I have now officially stayed up WAY too late reading it all, LOL.

On the Jungle Cruise gun thing - within the past year I have seen skippers both actually fire the gun and just wave it/say "shoo". My guess is that either sometimes the effect isn't working, or it's just the preference of the skipper. I know they do have a little bit of leeway with the script and what jokes to tell.

Not really an effect, but I really miss Mickey and Minnie's houses. When I was 10 and 12, I really loved exploring them and noticing all the little touches. I especially liked the effects in Minnie's kitchen, like the popcorn in the microwave that actually popped :) I didn't get a chance to visit them again before they were removed to make way for New Fantasyland. I love Storybook Circus, but I wish there was a way they could have kept the houses - purely for nostalgic reasons!

And something else...I seem to remember from my trip in '01 that on ToT, a CM would talk to you over a speaker before the drop. Then they would drop you while he/she was in the middle of a sentence - TOTALLY unexpected! Anyone else remember this? It was a fantastic effect!

Regarding the GMR and the gangster and cowboy split. I decided to ask the CMs working the ride. During busier times both scenes are in effect but when it is later in the day or slower days they go with the gangster most of the time but there are times during the day when they do both but the cowboy one is only once every 30 or 60 minutes, I dont remember how frequent. What you need to do is ask the CM at the front door if the A side is running. When you get to the front of the line before you get on the ride, ask if you can ride the A side. You might have to wait a few extra minutes but for us it was worth it. Because we asked to wait, we got the front of the car as well. If you are determined to see the cowboy scene, go to the ride early and make sure you ask if the A side is running.

Lisa Hale said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyracuseWolvrine

There used to be fires on both sides of the shuttle while you're in Cat Canyon. The past few years, the fires on the right side haven't been working, only the ones on the left.

(There's a lot of stuff in Cat Canyon that used to work, but isn't working, or isn't used anymore ... but you probably already knew that)

We didn't even bother riding that one this year. Seems like they are slowly, but surely, killing it out all together. It wasn't that it was "light the world on fire" exciting, but we thoroughly enjoyed the entire ride. Now, it just isn't what it used to be.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Rumor is backlot tour will be go e soon anyways.. Along with the stunt show..

Making room for cars land, Star Wars something or, avatar something...

No one really knows.. From what I read someone heard some " big wigs" in the park talking about it..

My boyfriend told me that he read somewhere that when they built World Showcase they built a "ride" in Japan. The ride still sits there today. Apparently it's under, or in one of the buildings but never opened. It looks like you're aboard some fast Japanese train touring the countryside of Japan. Then it shows some clips of Japanese culture or something... According to "what he read" (and i didn't bother to look this back up or research it, sorry) he said that veterans of wars and Americans were offended by the material and Kodak couldn't afford to re-shoot the footage, so the ride was abandoned! But it's still sitting there!

kschafer said:
I don't know how you dug this one up but I am loving reading it. What is making me laugh is the discussion from 2007 debating whether or not Disney will move to using RFID chips. Given all the talk circulating about FP+ coming soon, Jim Hill's crystal ball seems pretty accurate LOL!

I was thinking the same thing reading this. Can't believe it's taken until now for them to start bent implemented almost 6 years later. What's scary is I posted on this thread back in 2009 did not realise I have been on here for that long.

Couple of things come to mind, now that the thread is regaining its momentum!

There was a progressive fountain along the path leading into Camp Minnie-Mickey, on your right as you enter. (There is still a similar progressive fountain in Splash Mountain - it works once in a while.)

And the waiting area for Voyage of the Little Mermaid used to include a pre-show, where some of the items on the walls had built-in effects that have long since disappeared.

Also in the actual VOTLM show, in one of its earlier versions, there were moving neon lights along the walls that represented Flotsam and Jetsam moving around the theater, ending up at the spot where we now see them poking their noses out of the wall to the left of the stage.

Back in the early 90s, we had the Person of the Century Poll in Communicore that had its plug unceremoniously pulled. And right next door was an activity called the Epcot Forum (I think), in which audience members would be polled on a wide range of topics of the day, and the results displayed in real time, broken down by age, sex, region of the country, and so on. My guess is that it was considered "too boring" for the evolving audiences.

Various jokes have been removed from the Jungle Cruise spiel over the years - anyone remember the African Bull Elephant, the second most feared animal in the jungle?

Not an attraction, but the courtyard of the Wilderness Lodge used to have a smoky scent that was quite enticing.

Surprised that nowhere in the thread was mentioned the red double-decker buses that provided transportation around World Showcase, and later served as a bus for groups of characters.

Then at the other end of the spectrum - I believe that "Impressions de France" has seen no changes at all in over 30 years.

Wow, talk about a zombie thread...but I sure am glad it got resurrected! As a Disney history nerd, this is a goldmine! I have now officially stayed up WAY too late reading it all, LOL.

On the Jungle Cruise gun thing - within the past year I have seen skippers both actually fire the gun and just wave it/say "shoo". My guess is that either sometimes the effect isn't working, or it's just the preference of the skipper. I know they do have a little bit of leeway with the script and what jokes to tell.

1) amen to enjoying this thread so much.
2) first week of Jan., our skipper did the 'shoo' thing with the gun

And maybe I'm crazy and made it up, but did the elephants squirt water on the boat in the past? I ducked when we went near them and I want to say I remember that happening before, but it's been a few years...

My boyfriend told me that he read somewhere that when they built World Showcase they built a "ride" in Japan. The ride still sits there today. Apparently it's under, or in one of the buildings but never opened. It looks like you're aboard some fast Japanese train touring the countryside of Japan. Then it shows some clips of Japanese culture or something... According to "what he read" (and i didn't bother to look this back up or research it, sorry) he said that veterans of wars and Americans were offended by the material and Kodak couldn't afford to re-shoot the footage, so the ride was abandoned! But it's still sitting there!

I heard it was supposed to be a roller coaster involving Mt. Fuji but Kodak didn't want their competitor's name on a ride they were sponsoring so it was scrapped. The entrance was going to be where those two samurai on horseback statues are now. I read it in The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World :)

I am probably wrong, but I remeber the being a pregnant woman tied up in the line of prisoners on POTC. She now has a beard and is supposed to look like a guy with a pot belly, but I swear she used to be a girl!!

1)
And maybe I'm crazy and made it up, but did the elephants squirt water on the boat in the past? I ducked when we went near them and I want to say I remember that happening before, but it's been a few years...
That is so funny that you said this....
When we went in July of last year.... I was SHOCKED when the elephant actually squirted..... ON ME!! I got soaked!!
I think our driver was just as shocked! He could not apologize enough!! He kept saying "its not supposed to do that!"
Seriously! He was truely shocked that it worked!

Another one is on Test Track - as you approached the crash section they used to have an effect of a car smashing into a wall. Then you turned and headed for a wall yourself. Now they just have a crashed car sitting at the wall.

I remember this!! This is a very loooong thread and i'm sure this has been mentioned but i remember when there was a live person to come out and get Joe Perry's Les Paul in the pre-show at RnRC.

I didn't see it mentioned,
How about the yeti in EE... Everytime I go she is down.. I think it has something to do with the foundation..
I don't have in pics but I'm sure Robo does..

In wdw no longer but DL Snow White ride when the witch comes out on the boat to offer you an apple.. They replaced the foam apple with an halagram..

The reason why it b/c people would reach out and take the apple..
In fact for our grad night a few years ago.. The apple was back!!
But was quickly gone by the end of the night...

It was on the scavenger hunt!!.. Although I was not brave enough to grab it myself..and risk being thrown out..

Another one is on Test Track - as you approached the crash section they used to have an effect of a car smashing into a wall. Then you turned and headed for a wall yourself. Now they just have a crashed car sitting at the wall.

I remember this!! This is a very loooong thread and i'm sure this has been mentioned but i remember when there was a live person to come out and get Joe Perry's Les Paul in the pre-show at RnRC.

Ah Chris, what ever happened to him/her. Hope he/she got another gig. ;)

There was also a live CM holding rifle I think on Kilimanjaro Safari during the last scene with Little Red that kind of did a "they went that a way" thing.

Not sure about this but going in 10 days so i'll check! When TTA goes thru the first tunnel about Stitch and passes Walt's vision for EPCOT i think the double ferris wheel used to turn. Not sure if it does now. Does anyone remember?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter