August 2022 W.I.S.H. - Accountable August

I did rally yesterday, after taking a Benadryl and sleeping for another hour. I'm OK this morning, so it must have been allergies.

As for the ADHD meds, after three days I can say its been mostly positive. I'm seeing a big change in overwhelm: before I often couldn't get started because I couldn't decode the starting point and it was just too much. I'm sleeping much better because my thoughts aren't looping, playing back the same thing over and over. On the down side its giving me headaches and an upset tummy, but both are tolerable.

Motivation for this week: yesterday when I got on the scale the +2 pounds from the day before were gone and this morning another pound had disappeared... first pound I've lost in along long time. So I'm going to build on that by keeping my daily exercise minutes up and eating better. I'd still love to drop 15 pounds before my WDW vacation which is ambitious but doable if I stay focused.

August has been nuts...mostly good nuts but so much so that I did not focus on my health goals too much. Honestly even though I ate awfully while on vaca (hello kids cheeseburger meals) all the walking had me feeling great! But now that I've been home I've been snacking too much and been too sedentary.
I was able to get out for a .75 mile walk on lunch break today and later this week my employer is doing g a step up to hunger (something like that) challenge where they make donations to non-profits for every step participants log. So need to get myself moving for that...too bad that didn't overlap with vaca those 90,000 steps would have been a big help.
Plus side though my "skinny jeans" still fit so even though I feel puffy my waist line can't be that different.
Hopefully the cooler weather of Sept will motivate me to get moving a bit more.

August has been okay. Stressed at work so often not sleeping, but trying to be aware that I wasn't truly hungry--just tired.

My new helper starts on Thursday and I cannot wait!!!!!! Three and a half weeks of doing two jobs at our busiest time of year. I am so ready for some help--even if she's never worked in a school and has no idea about anything!

August (& July) have been difficult for losing weight. Last week after being back at school and being so busy that I kept forgetting to eat, I lost 4 pounds. So there’s that.

Kids started yesterday. Only 3 boys with challenging behaviors so far. It was SO HOT & HUMID, I had an asthma attack. Someone complained about the heat in the schools, and after a long first day of kindergarten, we have half days for the rest of the week.
59229429-9B7B-4D13-A9A4-3DB56138F42C.jpeg

It has been a busy month at work as well as at home. Jeff's grandmother just sold her house yesterday. It went on the market late Friday night and we had 5 offers by yesterday morning. She took the easiest one. It was a cash offer and no inspection. The closing date is September 7th but they are letting her living there rent free until mid October. They can't move in until then and they don't want to leave the house vacant. It is not in the best neighborhood. This give us time to finish packing everything for her and get her moved. I am so glad it sold so fast. She had a very rough weekend of not being able to be at her house. She stayed here with us both days but we had to fight with her to rest on Sunday. She was so overwhelmed and exhausted from Saturday that she just needed to rest and not worry about anything on Sunday. Once I finished lunch and laid down on the love seat and DH sat in the chair to read, she finally laid down on the couch and took a nap. The house selling was a stress for her. She cried after the papers were signed because it was such a relief that it was done and she got what she wanted.

DD is doing better. She is starting to workout with the athletic trainer again. She is allowed 20-30 minutes of light jogging a day. Her numbers are down to 13 (this is good. You want it at 0 though I am not she she is ever at a 0). She does get nauseous when watching the kids run. The movement is too much. But I think by next week she will be good.

DS just got his first job last night. He will be working at McDonalds. He has several friends working there already. I just wish he got the job at the beginning of summer instead of now when he is so busy. But he has a job and now we can focus on him getting his license. We told him he had to have a job before getting his license. As long as he puts a certain percentage (not sure what yet) of his pay check in the back, each pay, we will pay for gas and insurance. This way we still have some control with his driving and we will be teaching to save money which will help with college.

August (& July) have been difficult for losing weight. Last week after being back at school and being so busy that I kept forgetting to eat, I lost 4 pounds. So there’s that.

Kids started yesterday. Only 3 boys with challenging behaviors so far. It was SO HOT & HUMID, I had an asthma attack. Someone complained about the heat in the schools, and after a long first day of kindergarten, we have half days for the rest of the week.
View attachment 698140
I went with the "like" button for two parts of your post - the absolute truth of that meme and the extremely wise scheduling decision of half-days for kindergarteners the first week.

But I'm so sorry to hear you had an asthma attack from the heat and humidity :( :hug:

It has been a busy month at work as well as at home. Jeff's grandmother just sold her house yesterday. It went on the market late Friday night and we had 5 offers by yesterday morning. She took the easiest one. It was a cash offer and no inspection. The closing date is September 7th but they are letting her living there rent free until mid October. They can't move in until then and they don't want to leave the house vacant. It is not in the best neighborhood. This give us time to finish packing everything for her and get her moved. I am so glad it sold so fast. She had a very rough weekend of not being able to be at her house. She stayed here with us both days but we had to fight with her to rest on Sunday. She was so overwhelmed and exhausted from Saturday that she just needed to rest and not worry about anything on Sunday. Once I finished lunch and laid down on the love seat and DH sat in the chair to read, she finally laid down on the couch and took a nap. The house selling was a stress for her. She cried after the papers were signed because it was such a relief that it was done and she got what she wanted.

DD is doing better. She is starting to workout with the athletic trainer again. She is allowed 20-30 minutes of light jogging a day. Her numbers are down to 13 (this is good. You want it at 0 though I am not she she is ever at a 0). She does get nauseous when watching the kids run. The movement is too much. But I think by next week she will be good.

DS just got his first job last night. He will be working at McDonalds. He has several friends working there already. I just wish he got the job at the beginning of summer instead of now when he is so busy. But he has a job and now we can focus on him getting his license. We told him he had to have a job before getting his license. As long as he puts a certain percentage (not sure what yet) of his pay check in the back, each pay, we will pay for gas and insurance. This way we still have some control with his driving and we will be teaching to save money which will help with college.

I'm in awe at how much you can juggle at once! Congrats to Grandma on so many offers, and your DS on the new job!!:tigger:
And :cheer2: to your DD on getting back to training.

036ABC73-7EC0-4660-BA15-A837FB2C22FA.jpeg
Happy Tuesday!!!!

Since fall is quickly approaching and cooler weather will be here before we know it I thought a good topic would be-what is your favorite fall dish that you make?? Or buy?

Mine is white chicken chili!! I have a recipe I have used for over 10 years now and I even won a cookoff with the recipe!!! It’s just the perfect fall dish!

I am making some fall type foods today, my mother in law is having surgery today so I am making beef vegetable soup, chicken noodle and homemade rolls to take over to her tonight. It is, literally, 100 degrees here but she will be cool in the AC so hopefully she can enjoy it!!!

Make it a great day everyone!!!!

I think the one I make the most is semi-homemade spaghetti sauce. It is my grandma's recipe. It has tomato juice, tomato puree, tomato paste (I am the only one in the family to use this. helps to make it a bit thicker), then a bunch of spices, onion and garlic. typically you would add Italian sausage and make meat balls but I combine the two into a meat ball. I also add pork chops too. You do add water as well. Then it simmers all day and the house smells awesome. I don't make it really in the summer since it is not great having the stove on all day.

Here is the kind of recipe (we don't measure the spices)

about 64 oz of tomato juice
1 can of tomato puree
2 8 oz cans of tomato paste
Onion and garlic to taste (I use fresh but you can use powder as well)
Orgenio
Basil
Parsley
Water (I add some water the the tomato juice bottle and swish it around and then add to the pot. I do the same with the tomato puree can. So I think I add about a can to a can in a half (tomato puree can) of water to the pot.

My meatballs are pretty plain. I use bread crumbs, oregano, parsley, basil, onion, garlic and 1 egg. You can either use ground meat, ground turkey or sausage or any combination. If you don't add the sausage to the meat balls you can just add the links right in the sauce. For the port chops I just get the thick cut boneless ones and just add it right to the sauce.

I usually have this going by like 9 am and it finishes around 5ish in the afternoon. You just simmer it all day and stir occasionally. Then you make what ever noodles you want along with garlic bread if you want. This makes a giant pot. Lots of left overs and we also freeze some of it.

August was a slow starter for me... like I really didn't get going on my monthly weight loss and exercise goals until last week, but I'm on the right track now. My body is pretty darn happy about the nightly yoga, I got really lucky in that the first video I tried works all the right spots for me.

After seeing the +2 pounds Saturday I am now at -4, but I'm counting it as -2 because I think the +2 was just one of those days. That's 2 of the 15 I want to lose before my December vacation, so I'm very happy with it.

For favorite autumn dishes, well, I do so little cooking its hard to say. I usually flip from wanting just fresh things, like fruits and salads, to wanting only cooked foods, but this summer I never flipped to just fresh. Lately I've been getting a roasted chicken and then cutting it up and throwing it into different sauces, like sweet-and-sour or teriyaki, and then putting it over rice... not very exciting. These crock pot recipes sound so good, maybe I'll look for a small crock pot so I can try some of them. But then of course I do still have the air fryer... that I never use.

Last edited:
Fall is all about baking in our house. Probably going to make some zucchini cookies this weekend.
Being lazy so instead of looking for that recipe here is a good one for pretzels...so yummy watching a football game.

Zucchini Cookies sound yummy! I found a recipe on Pinterest where you can modify by adding different things... sounds like I can make some good breakfast cookies. Thanks!

...These crock pot recipes sound so good, maybe I'll look for a small crock pot so I can try some of them. But then of course I do still have the air fryer... that I never use.
I have this one: 1661893753899.pnglink

It's really small and just right when I'm only cooking for DH and I. (I do have a large one as well, for family pot lucks and stuff, but it's not Mickey-fied.)

A fall recipe that we love has BBQ sauce, pork, sweet potatoes, and carrots. Those are the main ingredients that get thrown in the crockpot. I know there's more. Super yummy.

9ACB4F01-73FD-4A98-B315-766631CDD481.jpeg
WHOOOHOOOOO into Wednesday!!!!!

My whooooohoooo today is….DD found a dress for homecoming last night!!!

Monday night was a complete disaster as far as dress shopping went-2 hours, 50 dresses, nothing was right, staff was beyond rude at the store…last night totally different experience at David’s Bridal-excellent staff, wonderful customer service and she got a beautiful dress!! I’m so happy for her!

Can’t wait to hear everyone’s Whooohooo this Wednesday!!

I am woohooing that things have been moving fast with moving DH's grandmother. We found out on July 16th that she fell down a step or two of her front porch and that the house was no longer safe for her. There are stairs to go upstairs and to the basement. Also, stairs from the house to the driveway. everything she needs is on the first floor so doable to stay for a bit. She will be moving into the apartment on October 8th. A total of 3 months. She will be moving about 5-10 minutes from us in a brand knew senior apartments. No one can start moving in until September. The person that is the building manager is super nice and keeps an eye on the residents (she was at the one that has been open for a few years now in the area). If she hasn't seen them for a little bit she will go check on them. All good things since his grandmother is 81. Being closer will also give us the opportunity to have her over for dinner more often or just drop of meals to her if she is not feeling like heading out. Right now she is eating out most meals because she is too far from everyone.

View attachment 698477
WHOOOHOOOOO into Wednesday!!!!!

My whooooohoooo today is….DD found a dress for homecoming last night!!!

Monday night was a complete disaster as far as dress shopping went-2 hours, 50 dresses, nothing was right, staff was beyond rude at the store…last night totally different experience at David’s Bridal-excellent staff, wonderful customer service and she got a beautiful dress!! I’m so happy for her!

Can’t wait to hear everyone’s Whooohooo this Wednesday!!

Dress shopping is not fun. DD got her dress at JC Pennies a few weeks ago. She also has a pair of cowboy boots to wear with it and all of her jewelry too. Last year was rough because we waited until October (there were hardly any dresses left) so we went early this year. She is short like me so to find a dress that she loved and fits her perfectly with no alterations is a rare find but she found it. I never thought to go to David's. That will be on the list for next year.

Dress shopping is not fun. DD got her dress at JC Pennies a few weeks ago. She also has a pair of cowboy boots to wear with it and all of her jewelry too. Last year was rough because we waited until October (there were hardly any dresses left) so we went early this year. She is short like me so to find a dress that she loved and fits her perfectly with no alterations is a rare find but she found it. I never thought to go to David's. That will be on the list for next year.
So glad your daughter found something this year! JCPenny was next on our list, but we won’t need to go anywhere else thankfully! My daughter had the opposite problem, she is so tall! But she won’t need alterations to this dress so definitely a success!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter