Aulani on a budget...

I read your OP. I also read a follow up post where you indicated at least one of your family wants to visit Stanley Park in Vancouver. Vancouver works with an Alaskan cruise.

I know. But Vancouver is one of the towns available for a layover in our way to Hawaii and my family doesn't want to go to Alaska, they want to do Hawaii.

Also, it seems complicated to have enough time to go to Stanley Park during a layover so we are not putting too much hope in it. Might add this to another family trip someday.

I will first say I have never stayed at a Deluxe at WDW but I have seen pictures and read lots of trip reports so I would say it is very close to a WDW Deluxe, maybe nicer. Many people here on the Aulani thread compare the lobby of Aulani to the lobby of the Animal Kingdom Lodge as far as feel and architecture goes.

I think you have a great grasp on the whole Aulani thing but I just wanted to make sure your MIL would not be expecting a specific experience, travelling so far and spending so much and then getting let down.

I have read a few reports from people who prefer so the Disney cruising and they seem to be the ones most let down, there isnt the same amount of activities and the food is pretty darn expensive on the resort (where as with a cruise it is also expensive but it is rolled into your purchase price) so I think the secret to Aulani is to come with an open mind and let the beauty of Hawaii win you over.

It really doesnt take a whole day to switch but check out is usually 11 and then you need to schlep all your stuff between locations and you usually cannot check in until 3 or 4. Aulani has a wonderful bell service system to keep your things if you arrive early or are checking out late and a room you can change in if you wanted to use the pools etc but it kind of takes up your day and you are not really free to do as you please. I kind of write off a hotel switch day as a lost day and anything we do accomplish is a bonus.

I think that one day in Waikiki is good for a first time visitor or even a couple of nights just because it is so iconic but the beaches along the Waikiki stretch are busy and dirty. There are many homeless people and it can be very crowded with tourists so wait times at places to eat can be long. On the flip side my kids are older teens and the LOVE Waikiki. It has a Las Vegas or Times Square vibe. The nightlife is rocking and there is some fun shopping.

We love AKL. What I have seen on picture reminds me of a mix between AKL and Poly (where we stayed twice). As I said earlier, we are very much interested in Hawaii which is what "brings us here". Disney is just a cute add-on to our project.

As far as homeless people, Montreal has a lot of homeless people too. It's sad (and we are "used" to it which is even sadder). We'll chose our activities in Waikiki if we do anything but eat there and swim at the resort beach.

Aulani does charge a Hawaii Transient tax, and it is added to your room upon check out. If you do a DVC rental, it's based on the number of points you use but we find it's not that much.

When we checked-in to Aulani last month on DVC points, we were immediately charged the full transient tax for our 6-night stay. The charge is itemized for each day on your folio upon check-out, but they charge your credit card up-front.

I think that one day in Waikiki is good for a first time visitor or even a couple of nights just because it is so iconic but the beaches along the Waikiki stretch are busy and dirty. There are many homeless people and it can be very crowded with tourists so wait times at places to eat can be long.

I'm wondering if this is more the southern stretch of Waikiki, more in the heart of the action? We've only stayed more north (Hilton Hawaiian Village and Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk). The beach in front of the HHV and Hale Koa is wide, clean, and not too crowded. I don't recall seeing any homeless.

We did see a big homeless encampment driving out of Waikiki though.

When we checked-in to Aulani last month on DVC points, we were immediately charged the full transient tax for our 6-night stay. The charge is itemized for each day on your folio upon check-out, but they charge your credit card up-front.

What does this tax represent?

Per the DVC website --

"For all stays at Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina, Hawai'i, the State of Hawai'i imposes a nightly transient accommodations tax based upon the number of Vacation Points required for the stay and the Annual Dues per vacation point for the calendar year of the stay. This tax must be paid by check-out. The amount of the tax will vary from year to year and is subject to change."

For our 6-night stay in an Island Gardens View 1-bedroom unit April 21-27, we paid $101.94 upon check-in ($16.99 per night).

Per the DVC website --

"For all stays at Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina, Hawai'i, the State of Hawai'i imposes a nightly transient accommodations tax based upon the number of Vacation Points required for the stay and the Annual Dues per vacation point for the calendar year of the stay. This tax must be paid by check-out. The amount of the tax will vary from year to year and is subject to change."

For our 6-night stay in an Island Gardens View 1-bedroom unit April 21-27, we paid $101.94 upon check-in ($16.99 per night).

Is it just for DVC stays or every stay?

Because we are not going to rent DVC points...

Every stay at every rental/vacation lodging location in Hawaii unless you are military/government on official business.

Good to know. Thank you.

Do you know if those are added to the bill when you book directly through Aulani or if they only add it at the end of your stay?

Thanks in advance.

I'm wondering if this is more the southern stretch of Waikiki, more in the heart of the action? We've only stayed more north (Hilton Hawaiian Village and Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk). The beach in front of the HHV and Hale Koa is wide, clean, and not too crowded. I don't recall seeing any homeless.

We did see a big homeless encampment driving out of Waikiki though.

yes, that is exactly the area, by the Duke Kahanamoku statue and beyond

Any reasonably priced Waikiki beach front hotel with Diamond Head view (from the beach) you'd recommend?

There are very few actual beachfront properties - Hilton Hawaiian Village, Hale Koa, Waikiki Shore (private condos which can be booked via Outrigger as well), Outrigger Reef, Halekulani, Sheraton Waikiki, Royal Hawaiian, Outrigger Waikiki Beach, Moana Surfrider - that’s in actually within Waikiki. None of those are cheap - but you can stay streets back and get better rates all still within walking distance (Waikiki is pretty compact).

There are very few actual beachfront properties - Hilton Hawaiian Village, Hale Koa, Waikiki Shore (private condos which can be booked via Outrigger as well), Outrigger Reef, Halekulani, Sheraton Waikiki, Royal Hawaiian, Outrigger Waikiki Beach, Moana Surfrider - that’s in actually within Waikiki. None of those are cheap - but you can stay streets back and get better rates all still within walking distance (Waikiki is pretty compact).

I am not looking for "cheap", just a bit lower than Aulani?

(I would looove Moana Surfrider but it can be expensive.)

What is your nightly budget and what bedding options do you need? For example we go twice a year normally and are a family of 5 do we stay in a 2 bedroom condo. We also don’t stay beachfront - across the road is fine for us. But every family is different.

Every stay at every rental/vacation lodging location in Hawaii unless you are military/government on official business.

We just got back from Aulani. We stayed in a regular hotel room rather than a DVC Villa and we were not charged any additional fees or taxes. We paid what was quoted on the Aulani website and not a cent more. I got the impression from elsewhere that the tax you’re talking about it is included in the price of regular hotel room stays, but additional to DVC Villas.

Last edited:
Since you’re interested in cost-saving tips, here are a few that I can think of.

Definitely purchase the refillable mugs. They’re similar to the WDW ones and priced at $19 and include soda, tea and coffee. You could probably just buy two mugs and take it in turns using them. Plus they’re a souvenir!

Ulu Cafe does really good pizza for $23. They’re large too, could feed a group of four. By far the best value meal on property.

At the shops outside Aulani there’s a store called Island Countey Market and they have a restaurant quality kitchen serving take out food that is superb. At Aulani, we loved the coconut shrimp which was $16 for 4 shrimp and fries. At Island Market it’s $9.95 for 8 shrimp and rice or mash. My wife and I split one and it was plenty - $5 a head! They also do burgers and the like for less than $10. There is also a good selection of grab n go items like sandwiches and sushi. There are tables outside where you can eat it and it’s just lovely. Beer, wine and spirits are also reasonably priced there (well, they are by our New Zealand prices anyway!).

When we were there they were offering $250 resort credits if you took a tour of a DVC Model villa. I’m not sure if that offer is usually around, we didn’t take it as DVC wouldn’t work out for us but something to consider as it would pay for a few meals.

If you want to get to a Costco, Walmart or Target to buy souvenirs or chocolate macadamias, grab an Uber to Kapolei, it will cost around $12. There’s also a bunch of chain restaurants there like Chilis, Denny’s etc that are cheaper than Aulani.

For getting from the airport to Aulani, Charley’s Taxi offers a flat fee of $55. Uber might be a bit cheaper.

Will add more if I think of anything else.

Any reasonably priced Waikiki beach front hotel with Diamond Head view (from the beach) you'd recommend?
We stayed at the Marriott because I got a discounted rate with points. It’s not beachfront, as along that stretch (where the Duke statue is), the road runs between the buildings and the beach. But it’s beach/ocean view and just a minute or two (literally) walk. There was nothing special about it, but it worked for a base of operation for two days.

My co-worker stayed at a place down in the shadow of Diamond Head at much less cost for a much larger room. They really enjoyed the restaurant there as well. It’s not super-easy walking distance to much, though, like where the Marriott is. I can’t remember the name but you’ll see it if you look in google maps. It’s at the corner of the big city park and very near the old public swimming pool.

What is your nightly budget and what bedding options do you need? For example we go twice a year normally and are a family of 5 do we stay in a 2 bedroom condo. We also don’t stay beachfront - across the road is fine for us. But every family is different.

We need 4 double beds for 4 adults.

Budget for that night would be between 200 and 400$ a night total?

Since you’re interested in cost-saving tips, here are a few that I can think of.

Definitely purchase the refillable mugs. They’re similar to the WDW ones and priced at $19 and include soda, tea and coffee. You could probably just buy two mugs and take it in turns using them. Plus they’re a souvenir!

Ulu Cafe does really good pizza for $23. They’re large too, could feed a group of four. By far the best value meal on property.

At the shops outside Aulani there’s a store called Island Countey Market and they have a restaurant quality kitchen serving take out food that is superb. At Aulani, we loved the coconut shrimp which was $16 for 4 shrimp and fries. At Island Market it’s $9.95 for 8 shrimp and rice or mash. My wife and I split one and it was plenty - $5 a head! They also do burgers and the like for less than $10. There is also a good selection of grab n go items like sandwiches and sushi. There are tables outside where you can eat it and it’s just lovely. Beer, wine and spirits are also reasonably priced there (well, they are by our New Zealand prices anyway!).

When we were there they were offering $250 resort credits if you took a tour of a DVC Model villa. I’m not sure if that offer is usually around, we didn’t take it as DVC wouldn’t work out for us but something to consider as it would pay for a few meals.

If you want to get to a Costco, Walmart or Target to buy souvenirs or chocolate macadamias, grab an Uber to Kapolei, it will cost around $12. There’s also a bunch of chain restaurants there like Chilis, Denny’s etc that are cheaper than Aulani.

For getting from the airport to Aulani, Charley’s Taxi offers a flat fee of $55. Uber might be a bit cheaper.

Will add more if I think of anything else.

We all buy refillable mugs when we stay in Disney so we will definitely buy them. :)

Thanks for the tip regarding pizza at ULU Café. 23$ is the price we pay at home for pizza so it's quite reasonable! :)

Island Countey Market is already on my list but it's to hear good things about it by many people. It confirms that it is a good choice.

I started looking for shuttles and I do find Charley's flat rates quite reasonable. We will most likely use that company.

I can't wait to be able to book.

At this point I just wonder when I'll be able to book and if I'll be able to apply a promo if they offer one (4 nights for the price of 3 or 5 nights for the price of four) at some point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter