Aulani Wish I Knew vs. Glad I Knew

Apixarfan

Earning My Ears
We just got back from a 7 night stay at a 1BR Island-Garden View with 13/15 yo kids. This our first ever stay at any DVC villa with our brand new DVC membership. Room was amazing and loved the overall resort. This was our first time in HI since our honeymoon 17 years ago.

Anyway, I made a long list of tips for things I was either A) glad I knew from research ahead of time or B) wish I had known before:

* Glad I knew
Pool chairs fill very early but there are plenty at beach close by.
We could see the Luau free from our balcony
DVC checkin free items were decent (souvenir print, Moana magnet, lanyards)
Blowhole was better than I expected (scenery along drive too)
See live sea turtle(s) swimming in the wild in the cove past Four Seasons for free.
Pack waterproof lanyard to take underwater photos and not leave phone or room key behind at pool chair.
Seeing Disney luau from balcony most nights (however, ewa wing. 462 was just a hair too close to center so tops of palm trees where partially blocking).
Kualoa Ranch zip line was very far away but there you get to see set pieces from movies filmed there along their (included) shuttle ride to the start of the zip lines.

*Wish I had known
Pool is open at 8:00, not 7:00
No malasadas at Ulu Cafe anymore
Hard to find a place to eat breakfast extra early
Almost everything in that area seems to close at 5 PM or shortly after
Go to Aloha Stadium flea market on Sat/Sun/Wed instead of souvenir shop near North Shore - (tour guide to Pearl Harbor said items there are more locally made, and cheaper if you barter a little)
Can get $1 tickets to Pearl Harbor if you plan ahead early enough or can take a chance the day before.
Aulani Reef snorkeling temps are very cold (seemed colder than ocean cove)
Bring snorkel gear to sea turtle cove to see them underwater (maybe 10 min walk)
Dole plantation tram tour is waste
No dole whip at Ulu (mango and/or vanilla offered).
No more half price secret menu drink.
No happy hour at Olelo room.
DVC member experience promo items were relatively nice overall but the show was a little cheesy for adults. One promo item is handed out only near end of 45 minute presentation.
Reef fish feeding books up early. Luau books up early.
Ocean cove free boogie boards are due back at 5:00

Unrelated: I loved watching the bored luau worker shuffle leaves into the shape of a Mickey with her foot and she was looking for people need assistance (see photo). I’m also adding a photo from the Aulani/Four Seasons beach cove and a less-zoomed shot of what the layout of the luau looks like from our balcony.

Attachments

• 40806E91-B97C-407E-BF03-057B575E933A.jpeg
    40806E91-B97C-407E-BF03-057B575E933A.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 74
  • F3C5D55E-56E9-44A2-A08C-91A597A14DD7.jpeg
    F3C5D55E-56E9-44A2-A08C-91A597A14DD7.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 7781B720-9CC0-4F56-9722-505743444C54.jpeg
    7781B720-9CC0-4F56-9722-505743444C54.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 708C72C5-CC17-466F-BA7D-ED4BF21731D6.jpeg
    708C72C5-CC17-466F-BA7D-ED4BF21731D6.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 75
Hard to find a place to eat breakfast extra early

I agree and learned this the hard way on one of our first trips to Hawaii.
So now, no matter how tired we are when we arrive in Hawaii from Toronto, I make sure we stop for bottled water for the room, cream and milk for tea and coffee, fruit, yogurt or muffins.
That way, when I am inevitably awake at 4:00am Hawaii time, I can sit out on the balcony and watch the sunrise with my "breakfast"

I agree and learned this the hard way on one of our first trips to Hawaii.
So now, no matter how tired we are when we arrive in Hawaii from Toronto, I make sure we stop for bottled water for the room, cream and milk for tea and coffee, fruit, yogurt or muffins.
That way, when I am inevitably awake at 4:00am Hawaii time, I can sit out on the balcony and watch the sunrise with my "breakfast"
We are coming from TO this July. With a late flight, are there stores along the way that are open late,,ie after 11pm to just get some quick supplies?

We are coming from TO this July. With a late flight, are there stores along the way that are open late,,ie after 11pm to just get some quick supplies?

I just looked for you Mort, according to their website Safeway in Kapolei closes at 2am.
Sign up ahead of time for their savings program or else you will be paying insanely high prces.
https://www.safeway.com/foru-guest.htmlYou just have to input your number at the cash when checking out.
There is a Taco Bell and a KFC drive thru in the plaza just across the parking lot plus lots of other food options in the town, if you guys are hungry and want a little bit of hot food.
I think you pass McDonalds as you come down from the highway too, it is about 3-5 minutes from the highway and super easy to find.
I would check the Safeway hours a few days before your trip just in case they change.
Grab some 100% pure Kona coffee and cream, you will thank me later!

If you decide you are too tired to stop the night before, I know that Island Country Market and Island Vintage Coffee in the small shopping plaza across the road from Aulani open at 6am and Aulani's Ulu Cafe opens at 6:30am.
If you usually an early riser you will be up before then though.
Another thing I do is pack granola bars, pre-packaged rice krispies, instant oatmeal and my preferred brand of tea from home just in case we can't stop. We always end up eating them at some point, either the beach or while driving.

I just looked for you Mort, according to their website Safeway in Kapolei closes at 2am.
Sign up ahead of time for their savings program or else you will be paying insanely high prces.
https://www.safeway.com/foru-guest.htmlYou just have to input your number at the cash when checking out.
There is a Taco Bell and a KFC drive thru in the plaza just across the parking lot plus lots of other food options in the town, if you guys are hungry and want a little bit of hot food.
I think you pass McDonalds as you come down from the highway too, it is about 3-5 minutes from the highway and super easy to find.
I would check the Safeway hours a few days before your trip just in case they change.
Grab some 100% pure Kona coffee and cream, you will thank me later!

If you decide you are too tired to stop the night before, I know that Island Country Market and Island Vintage Coffee in the small shopping plaza across the road from Aulani open at 6am and Aulani's Ulu Cafe opens at 6:30am.
If you usually an early riser you will be up before then though.
Another thing I do is pack granola bars, pre-packaged rice krispies, instant oatmeal and my preferred brand of tea from home just in case we can't stop. We always end up eating them at some point, either the beach or while driving.
\Thanks Alohamom,,,,,we are early risers hence why would like at least breaky stuff for the 1st morning. Coffee is black so no cream needed...lol...but will check out safeway on the way in....plus girls love their oatmeal,,,so bringing some in luggage.

Thanks for the tips! We arrive next week for the first time. I have a few questions. My son really wants to do the reef snorkeling, Did that fill up fast as well, or can you book it in advance? And can you take Aulani snorkel gear to see the turtles nearby or did you have to buy or rent your own?

Thanks for the tips! We arrive next week for the first time. I have a few questions. My son really wants to do the reef snorkeling, Did that fill up fast as well, or can you book it in advance? And can you take Aulani snorkel gear to see the turtles nearby or did you have to buy or rent your own?

Snorkeling in Aulani’s reef didn’t have any reservation system and didn’t seem to have any real capacity issues while we were there (other than a five minute wait when it hit capacity). If you want to *feed the fish at the reef, that requires signup and I believe you have to do that in person for any time during your stay so try to book it ASAP on day 1. The feeding seemed to be eventually book full every day.

I’m 90% sure that if you pay for the $45 length of stay snorkeling option you can just keep the same equipment with you the entire time so you could take it other places (Like the four other coves in Ko’Olina or Hanauma Bay).

If you want to swim in the Aulani reef, you need to pay whether you rent their equipment or use your own but…Depending on your son, you may want to consider buying and bringing your own full face snorkel mask. We got two on Amazon for about $25 each: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0834XVQXL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

I’m 90% sure that if you pay for the $45 length of stay snorkeling option you can just keep the same equipment with you the entire time so you could take it other places (Like the four other coves in Ko’Olina or Hanauma Bay).
I didn’t think they wanted you using gear in the reef that had been in other water—but I could be wrong. Or maybe you meant rent gear from down by the beach and that can go other places. (We never did the reef—we’d snorkeled too many other places first and the kids said it was too small….spoiled!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter